Can Gophers average 300 rushing yards and 200 passing yards per game next year?

Otis

Reaction score
With the improvements on the offensive line after Faalele was moved to right tackle, can we have a dominant offensive attack next year?

Not sure of all the Offensive line starters but with a core of:
LT: Dickson 6'6" 315
LG: Dunlap 6'5" 370
C: Olson 6'5" 295
RG: Andries 6'5" 313
RT: Faalele 6'9" 400

QB: ZA or TM

Loaded Running backs

Return of all-B1G receiver and John Legend's nephew (I hope he hits some high notes as a Gopher!)

Can we have a dual threat offense capable of averaging close to 500/yds per game?

Think about how much help that would give to our defense!

Last edited:

AVERAGE 500 yards per game offense? Um, no. Not realistic.
Give me 400 and favorable time of possession, and you really have something.

Last edited:

That would be Top 10 in total offense, or at least a 75 spot improvement over this year. AVG of 550 would be Top 2 in total offense. If Gophs average in the 425 range, I would be very excited.

Ok, Can we average 250 and 175? With a line that B1G and with a healthy running back stable. I don't think 250 is out of the question including the non-conference.

And if ZA and TM are given time, Johnson could probably come close to 100/yds per game on his own.

My eyes were bigger than my stomach I guess.

bottom line, you win games by scoring at least one more point than the other team. stats are fun, but they're secondary to the goal of winning. I would say time of possession is more important than total yards gained. If the Gophers are gaining 350 yards a game, but dominating the TOP, I'll take that every game. I think we saw the blueprint against Georgia Tech. Run the ball, eat up the clock, and hit some downfield pass plays.

1,700 pounds of run blocking NEKTON awesomeness! I like it.

With the improvements on the offensive line after Faalele was moved to right tackle, can we have a dominant offensive attack next year?

Not sure of all the Offensive line starters but with a core of:
LT: Osland 6'6" 320
LG: Dunlap 6'5" 370
C: Olson 6'5" 295
RG: Andries 6'5" 313
RT: Faalele 6'9" 400

QB: ZA or TM

Loaded Running backs

Return of all-B1G receiver and John Legend's nephew (I hope he hits some high notes as a Gopher!)

Can we have a dual threat offense capable of averaging close to 500/yds per game?

Think about how much help that would give to our defense!

Your LT has already grad transferred out

If the 2019 offense with this OLine, WRs, and RBs can't average 200 Passing Yards per game we have the wrong QB playing. Given the talent we'll have in the backfield, defenses will be wise to stack the box and bring up safeties. RPO passes and deep balls should be plenty available if our QB can make the right reads and deliver the ball. I am concerned with ZA and TM's ability to deliver the deep pass on a consistent basis.

Yikes.

A few notes:

- I would be ecstatic to see our offense put up 500 yards, but would be happy with a more realistic 425 - on the order of 225 passing and 200 rushing yards per game
- "Osland" [sic] isn't on the team anymore, and certainly would not be starting (or playing) even if he were
- Mike Brown-Stephens will probably be somewhere around 8th or 10th on the WR depth chart next year. It will be a sign of horrible disaster if he is playing meaningful minutes in a competitive game in 2019.

Yikes.

A few notes:

- I would be ecstatic to see our offense put up 500 yards, but would be happy with a more realistic 425 - on the order of 225 passing and 200 rushing yards per game
- "Osland" [sic] isn't on the team anymore, and certainly would not be starting (or playing) even if he were
- Mike Brown-Stephens will probably be somewhere around 8th or 10th on the WR depth chart next year. It will be a sign of horrible disaster if he is playing meaningful minutes in a competitive game in 2019.

I just went with the biggest guy! Didn't know Osland punched out. Sub in Dickson at 315lbs.

He's still here isn't he?

If the 2019 offense with this OLine, WRs, and RBs can't average 200 Passing Yards per game we have the wrong QB playing. Given the talent we'll have in the backfield, defenses will be wise to stack the box and bring up safeties. RPO passes and deep balls should be plenty available if our QB can make the right reads and deliver the ball. I am concerned with ZA and TM's ability to deliver the deep pass on a consistent basis.

Exactly! Right now, I think that the Gopher offense can resemble the good Wisconsin teams---strong rushing attack and OL, along with QB's who are good game managers. I share your concern in your last sentence. I'm hoping that Jacob Clark is the starting QB by the next bowl game, with J.J. Guedet at the starting LT

500 yards is a stretch but the potential is definitely there for this to be one of the better offenses in the Big Ten next year. If things go right I could see 250 passing and 200 rushing as both very doable numbers most games.

If all 3 backs are healthy that is a great trio in the backfield and we already got a taste of what the WR core can be and they should only get better with another year of experience. Both Morgan and Annexstad looked solid under center and Clark is a bit of a wild card in that mix. Combine all that with a deadly short yardage weapon in Green and some very promising guys along the O-Line and it is easy to get excited about what this unit can become.

After the Bowl game I'm starting to think Andries might be the answer at LT.

2018 Gopher offense went for 386 total yards per game (170.8 rushing, 215.2 passing). That was the most in last 11 seasons.

Gophers have cracked the 200 yard rushing average mark just once in the last 13 seasons (2014, 215.5 yards). I think they have a good shot at making it twice in 14 years.

2018 Gopher passing offense (215.2 yards) had its highest average since 2010 when they 226.1 yards in Adam Weber's senior season. I expect some improvement there, but somewhat offset by an increase in rushing yards.

All told, I think 425 yards total offense would be a good goal to shoot for in 2019. Gophers haven't averaged that much since 2005 (494.8 yards) during Lawrence Maroney's final season.

2018 Gopher offense went for 386 total yards per game (170.8 rushing, 215.2 passing). That was the most in last 11 seasons.

Gophers have cracked the 200 yard rushing average mark just once in the last 13 seasons (2014, 215.5 yards). I think they have a good shot at making it twice in 14 years.

2018 Gopher passing offense (215.2 yards) had its highest average since 2010 when they 226.1 yards in Adam Weber's senior season. I expect some improvement there, but somewhat offset by an increase in rushing yards.

All told, I think 425 yards total offense would be a good goal to shoot for in 2019. Gophers haven't averaged that much since 2005 (494.8 yards) during Lawrence Maroney's final season.

Seems pretty realistic, and for those that are wondering 425 yards a game would have been good for 5th in the conference this past season, just a little behind Wisconsin and a little ahead of Penn State. I would take that.

In Tanner Morgan's 6 starts, Gophers averaged 198.8 yards rushing and 194.2 yards passing. That's 393.0 yards total.

The 2016 WM Broncos:

Rushing 230 Passing 252 Total 482

I think these numbers would be a great goal, I believe they lead to an undefeated regular season.

I'd be thrilled with anything in the 425-450 range. 500 would possibly put the gophers in the Conf Champ game so that of course would be awesome but I don't think that will happen.

In Tanner Morgan's 6 starts, Gophers averaged 198.8 yards rushing and 194.2 yards passing. That's 393.0 yards total.

All against Big Ten competition or GA Tech. Obviously helped by a surge in offensive line play also.

Where are the kudos for Brian Callaghan? He came with Fleck as the Offensive Line Coach, and deferred to Flecks hire of Ed Warinner when year zero was over Ed jumped to Jimmy. And Callaghan became the offensive line coach. For the first time in recent memory maybe Gordy Shaw move from defensive line to offensive line has there been a change. This year has been more about the offensive line development not only in the running game, but also in the the passing game. I attribute that to offensive line coaching, Brian Callaghan.

If we run the ball so effectively, there will be little time/need to pass.

The blueprint the last couple games has been to eat up a lot of clock with the ground game. Give me a strong ground game and big TOP edge, and it may not matter what the total yardage is.

JTG

The blueprint the last couple games has been to eat up a lot of clock with the ground game. Give me a strong ground game and big TOP edge, and it may not matter what the total yardage is.

JTG

Fair point. Even though we controlled each game, the yardage numbers are quite below season average.

230.5 yards rushing and 128.0 yards passing over final two games. 358.5 total.

I don’t think 500 yards is unattainable given this offense is developing the ability to make explosive plays in the passing and running game. The oline is finally starting to build some depth and I’m thinking we have 8-9 guys that can really play. Big question is qb and if whoever wins the job next year makes even modest improvement from the end of this year we’ll be potent.

Our passing game is much better than anything I’ve seen from Wisconsin so we shouldn’t disrespect Kirk and our team like that.

JTG

Kinda like Georgia Tech's offense, huh?

Top Bottom