Shama: The late Murray Warmath would have been 106 last Wednesday

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

The late Murray Warmath, the Gophers’ 1960 national championship football coach, would have been 106 years old last Wednesday. Former players remembered the coach’s influence on their lives in email exchanges.

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

If my Dad were still alive, I'm sure he would still be in the stands at home games screaming for Warmath's return, as he did all through the 70's and early 80's.

Late in life he lived in the same retirement home where some of my family lived and I met him.

He came scooting down the hall head to toe in gopher gear and a gopher flag. Stopped to say high and said to my son crawling around his chair, "we'll make a football player out of you".

It's rough getting old, but I loved that he was all maroon and gold even then.

Pretty sure Shama and Murray went to grade school together

Last edited:

Late in life he lived in the same retirement home where some of my family lived and I met him.

He came scooting down the hall head to toe in gopher gear and a gopher flag. Stopped to say high and said to my son crawling around his chair, "we'll make a football player out of you".

It's rough getting old, but I loved that he was all maroon and gold even then.

Nice little story!

I was just looking the other day at a 1960 Rose Bowl program from the paper that my grandpa had given me years ago.

Top Bottom