Final grades for every Big Ten team (Minnesota: B)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Hellman:

MINNESOTA: B

Most predicted somewhere between five and seven wins for the Gophers this season, but the way it happened is what takes PJ Fleck’s Year 2 from average to above average. Ending a long losing streak to rival Wisconsin may be good enough to raise your GPA a full point. Plus, the Gophers overcame some tough injuries, established quarterback depth and won convincingly in a bowl game. A 24-point loss to Illinois knocks the grade back down to earth a bit.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArtic...es-Ohio-State-Michigan-127162413/#127162413_1

Go Gophers!!

Interesting to note that the B1G Darlings, Purdue, got a higher grade than the Gophers - even after getting embarrassed in their bowl game and finishing with a worse record after having a better record the prior year. The love flows strong for Purdue and they can't seem to do anything wrong in the eyes of the media.

I'm assuming despite MN's 31 point win over Purdue AND returning more players for 2019 - Purdue will be predicted to finish higher in the B1G west by most prognistications.

Interesting to note that the B1G Darlings, Purdue, got a higher grade than the Gophers - even after getting embarrassed in their bowl game and finishing with a worse record after having a better record the prior year. The love flows strong for Purdue and they can't seem to do anything wrong in the eyes of the media.

I'm assuming despite MN's 31 point win over Purdue AND returning more players for 2019 - Purdue will be predicted to finish higher in the B1G west by most prognistications.

Yeah the Purdue narrative is a bit perplexing as ... they not look so great since that narrative picked up steam.

Hard to say I disagree. But expectations are up, 6-6 won't garner a B next year, even if we beat Wi, Iowa, and Penn State and fill trophy case

I don't think you will find any shortage of media love for Brohm, or Frost in 2019. Media lips are pretty much puckered to kiss arse 24/7.

I don't think you will find any shortage of media love for Brohm, or Frost in 2019. Media lips are pretty much puckered to kiss arse 24/7.
...Gophers are primed to kick arse.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I concur. And, the sports media just loves short players who run around really fast, juke, jive and make defenders look silly; and if they score touchdowns, even better. I think the love for Purdue right now has as much to do with Rondale Moore as it does Brohm.

I am glad our season didn't end like Purdue's.

I don't know why people care what the media says about Purdue.

I don't know why people care what the media says about Purdue.

Some people seem to feel that a positive comment about Brohm is a dig on PJ. since only PJ should get nice things said about him, since he invented football, mortality, good grades, good penmanship and all that.

The coaching situation in the Big Ten west is really strong right now from top to almost bottom (Lovie's still on thin ice...). It's good for the Big Ten. It's good for Minnesota. The Flecktites just need to calm down. Particularly since we beat Purdue's ass this year. People can say Brohm has done a great job. He has. Doesn't take anything away from Fleck's accomplishments to date.

Collectively, GHers have a better sense of the success of the team this year than the oft-distracted press. But would anyone rate this year any higher than a strong B?
Another thread included an analysis of the roller-coaster this team went through - highest standard deviation of performance in wins/loses. Improvement counts for a lot, so MD and IL are greatly overshadowed by WI and GT. A strong B. But, the floor is 7 wins next year with more needed to move the needle.

Collectively, GHers have a better sense of the success of the team this year than the oft-distracted press. But would anyone rate this year any higher than a strong B?
Another thread included an analysis of the roller-coaster this team went through - highest standard deviation of performance in wins/loses. Improvement counts for a lot, so MD and IL are greatly overshadowed by WI and GT. A strong B. But, the floor is 7 wins next year with more needed to move the needle.

The B is fair, the Purdue B+ is grade inflation due to the OSU win.

Top Bottom