Disadvantage for Big Ten Teams

MNSpaniel

Reaction score
One thing I never hear the analysts or announcers talk about is how the Big Ten is usually at a disadvantage in bowl games.

Most of the games are played out west or down south. Usually a pretty short distance for the southern or western teams but a long distance for the Big Ten fans.

So basically an away game for the Big Ten Teams. Minnesota was maybe the only team that played in a game that was more in their general area.

One thing I never hear the analysts or announcers talk about is how the Big Ten is usually at a disadvantage in bowl games.

Most of the games are played out west or down south. Usually a pretty short distance for the southern or western teams but a long distance for the Big Ten fans.

So basically an away game for the Big Ten Teams. Minnesota was maybe the only team that played in a game that was more in their general area.

Madison is 300 miles closer to NYC than Miami. Minneapolis is only 29 miles closer to Detroit than Atlanta.

Can't argue but it will never be fixed. Why not CFB playoff games at US Bank or in Indy? The SEC has a late season NC game for all of their teams. Would they try to go north and play a B1G team on a bye week? Oh hell no.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

They ought to consider playing upper tier bowls games in regional rotations. Why not play some bowl in the US Bank Stadium, Lucas Oil Stadium, etc...

They ought to consider playing upper tier bowls games in regional rotations. Why not play some bowl in the US Bank Stadium, Lucas Oil Stadium, etc...

Because it's a vacation destination event and fans want to go somewhere warm.

So if you have a longer plane flight you are at a disadvantage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weather is the biggest change.
Northern teams, not just big ten, are playing a different style of football at the end of the year. Blocking and tackling is different at the end of the year than the beginning.

Then they go play in a dome or warm weather and typically a northern team is playing a different style than their last game and a southern team isn’t.
Look how Miami did in New York. Nothing to do with distance or crowd noise. Weather changes.

It is not about how many choose to fly but what percentage can easily drive to the destination. Much easier for fans to get to a game if it is only a few hours away. Thus home field advantage for those who are closer.

Well maybe Sheboygan needs to step up and host a bowl game.

It’s only a disadvantage if your fans don’t show up. So show up!

It is not about how many choose to fly but what percentage can easily drive to the destination. Much easier for fans to get to a game if it is only a few hours away. Thus home field advantage for those who are closer.

Do we actually have data to support the claim that there are fewer big ten fans at bowl games because of this?

Just watching on TV, that didn’t really seem to be the case and if it were, the difference wasn’t significant enough to make a real impact.

Some teams have fans that travel well like Wisconsin, Nebraska, Ohio State, etc...

Home field advantage?
This seems like quite a stretch to me.

Well maybe Sheboygan needs to step up and host a bowl game.

Yup. Takes that 90 mile wide lake out of the equation.

Nah, I still think most Gopher fans would love to travel some place warmer.

Playing football in the cold is different than playing football in warm temps. Did you play football?

Yup 2x all conference. Team went to state. Thanks for asking.

Playing football in the cold is different than playing football in warm temps. Did you play football?

Then why didn’t we win more late season games in the dome when visiting teams only had one week to adjust to the warm weather?

Then why didn’t we win more late season games in the dome when visiting teams only had one week to adjust to the warm weather?

Because minor advantages don’t help you when you suck

Yup 2x all conference. Team went to state. Thanks for asking.

You sound big time.

I hope you have a son you can live vicariously through

Sure can tell it's the off season...

The Billds will be there when the Gophers play in Pasadena again...

The Billds will be there when the Gophers play in Pasadena again...

I have to imagine the Gopher Fans would travel very well to the rose bowl. Some day....

So if you have a longer plane flight you are at a disadvantage?

Depends if the team has a proper nutrition and hydration plan.

Top Bottom