2019 Tennis Thread

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Venus!!

BIG win!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go USA!!

16 year old Zachary Svajda, who won the USTA Boy's Nationals to get a wildcard, came very close to winning his opening match. He ended up losing in five sets 36 67 64 76 62. Pretty impressive showing for being so young.

And Jenson Brooksby with a 4-set win over Berdych! He's supposedly going to play for Baylor next year, but it'll be interesting to see if he turns pro instead.

Serena with a ridiculously dominating match over her "rival" Maria Sharapova, 6-1, 6-1 and has now won 19 straight matches over Maria. I think they said during the match that Maria hasn't won a set vs Serena in 9 YEARS!!

Jack Sock did what Jack Sock now does, lost in straight sets. Disappointing to see Fritz bow out in the first.

Fed didn't look that sharp.

A good number of American men and women won first round matches, hopefully a few of them can make a mini run.

Go USA!!

Sloane just doing Sloane things...lost her opening round match in straight sets.

Nicole Gibbs lost a tough 3-set match vs Halep.

Coco Gauff won 36 62 64, would love to see her make another run like at Wimbledon.

Riske with a solid win over Muguruza in straight sets 26 61 63.

Isner with a straight set win.

Tiafoe was up 2 sets against Karlovic before his opponent retired. He's had a pretty rough year since making that run at the Australian Open.

Tennys Sandgren came back from a 2 set deficit vs. Tsong to win 16 67 64 76 75.

17 year old Kristie Ahn with a straight set win over Kuznetsova, was really surprised by this result.

Taylor Townsend came from a set down to win her match. Hard to believe she's 23 already, I figured she would've had a much stronger career by now.

Good post mplarson7. Agreed on Townsend, I figured she'd be making deep runs in Slams by now. Instead she's having to work her way through Qualifiers just to make the main draw. I remember a few years back she was very upset because the USTA started to cut back their support of her because they didn't think she was dedicated enough and didn't work as hard as they expected her to.

I watched most of the Coco match and the Stephens match...wow, what a difference in enjoyment that was. Coco's match was a blast to watch, her intensity and tenacity is fantastic. Meanwhile Sloane played with little emotion and just appeared to be going through the motions. Sloane is going to leave potential on the table throughout her career.

Go USA!!

Oh my! Caty McNally just took the first set off Serena 7-5.

Serena found her range in the end to win 57 63 61. But yet another promising young American on the women's side.

Great effort for Tiafoe. He needs to get in the Top 30 so he can avoid second round matches like this:

Go Tiafoe!!

HUGE win for Townsend beating Halep in a 3rd set tiebreaker.

Coco Gauff with a 3 set win over Babos. She will play against #1 Osaka in the next round. That has Saturday night match written all over it.

Coco Gauff with a 3 set win over Babos. She will play against #1 Osaka in the next round. That has Saturday night match written all over it.
Really high level tennis in tonight’s match. Either player could have won. Coco has incredible range.

Great night for both Coco and Townsend. Taylor must have seen this thread and was clearly motivated by it!!

Go USA!!

I see Kundla, Isner and Sandgren all won on the men's side.

Go USA!!

Another win for Townsend over Cirstea. Onto the Round of 16!

Big loss by Osaka, that really opens the draw for Serena!!

While Coco and Townsend have received a lot of attention for their performance this Tournament, to me, the story of the tournament on the women's side is Kristie Ahn. This ESPN story captures it well:

Surprising American wild card Kristie Ahn soaking in her US Open run

As a 16-year-old, Kristie Ahn looked poised for greatness when she made it through qualifying at the US Open and secured her spot in the main draw. Ranked No. 758 in the world entering the tournament, she had stunned the tennis world with her run. The expectations were high for her future despite a first-round loss to Dinara Safina.

That was in 2008, and she never made it back to the main draw of a Grand Slam again.

That is until this week.

After years of bouncing around the lower levels of professional tennis following earning a degree and competing for Stanford, Ahn has seemingly finally arrived to where everyone -- including herself -- thought she would always be. After a resurgent summer, Ahn received a wild card to this year's event in Queens -- her hometown -- and she took on 2004 US Open champion Svetlana Kuznetsova in her opener.

Ahn needed only two sets to seal the victory. After 11 years of battling injuries, tough opponents and self-doubt, the 27-year-old finally had won a match at a major. When it was all over, her face lit up with a smile and she bent over in disbelief. Safina, the victor from her 2008 match, reached out with a congratulatory message. Ahn shared it on Twitter soon after, writing simply: "You guys. Full. Circle."

https://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_...can-wild-card-kristie-ahn-soaking-us-open-run

Go USA!!

I stayed up to watch the Townsend match last night. She had a great shot to win that one in the 3rd set, but just so many blown opportunities.

She stuck completely to serve and volley in the first set and got pretty much destroyed, losing all three of her service games. Second set she made some great adjustments, got into more baseline rallies and was more selective at approaching the net, and she was out-hitting Andreescu. Townsend broke to take the set. Then came the frustrations of the third...Townsend led 40-15 in two of her first three service games and ended up losing both. She also had a 30-40 lead in Andreescu's first service game. If she converted those, she would've been up 4-1 in the decider.

Final score was 61 46 62. Hopefully this run is a springboard for her to make a jump. I didn't realize she is being coached by Donald Young, Sr...I hope she finds a different coach, as we all know how his coaching worked with Donald Young, Jr.

13 years ago today, the sport said goodbye to one of it's greatest ambassadors. And in true Andre fashion, he delivered an absolutely perfect speech. What a legend.

Go Agassi!!

Caught some of Cilic/Nadal last night. I was hoping for a decent match after Cilic won the 2nd set with some really powerful shots. Nope. Rafa upped his game and Cilic fell apart in sets 3 and 4.

Serena looked on top of her game tonight, 1 and love in less than 50 minutes.

Zero winners for Quaing for the match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Federer in real trouble. Going into the 5th set and he's making a ton of unforced errors.

And right off the bat, Dimitrov breaks with Fed dumping a backhand into the net.

This is the best match I've seen Dimitrov play in years.

Fed was not good, but Dimi played a damned good match. That epic game in the 4th on Roger’s serve was a turning point.

Did some checking on the rankings, looks like Dimitrov will be back to around 32 in the world after the US Open based on last night's result. If he makes the final, he'll be closer to 20 in the world, and if he somehow manages to win the whole thing he'll be close to #10. Pretty crazy how one big run in a major can catapult a player's ranking like that. And he's defending basically no points from the Asian and fall European swings, so great opportunity for him to make a strong push to close out the season.

Last edited:

Dimitrov began working with Agassi in May, nice to see Andre having a big impact.

Disappointing loss for Federer. I sure hope he can find a way to win another Major or two. It seems likely that Nadal will catch, if not pass Fed's Slam record by this time next year.

Go Gophers!!

Fun batch of semifinals starting today.

For the women it's Bencic vs. Andreescu and Serena vs. Svitolina. I feel like the first match-up is a bit of a toss-up, but if I had to guess I would say it'll be a Serena vs. Bencic final. Andreescu has had a really strong year on hard courts, but Bencic has had a nice resurgence after struggling with injuries for a couple years.

For the men it's Dimitrov vs. Medvedev and Nadal vs. Berrettini. Berrettini played a hell of a match against Monfils, I caught the 5th set after work and it was quite entertaining. The commentators last night felt that Nadal will be a "heavy" favorite, but if Berrettini is hitting shots, his power will give Nadal some trouble. He reminds me a bit of del Potro with how he plays. Personally, I'm pulling for a Dimitrov vs. Berrettini final...I'd like to see some new blood win for a change.

Nadal double faulted on set point, but the linesman blew the call. He ends up taking the breaker 8-6. Tough break for Berrettini.

Top Bottom