Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default 2019 Tennis Thread

ESPN: Roger Federer, Switzerland best Serena Williams' American duo at Hopman Cup

Roger Federer won the bragging rights over fellow tennis great Serena Williams as they faced each other on court for the first time on Tuesday, with Federer spearheading Switzerland's 4-2, 4-3 (3) victory over the United States in a mixed doubles decider at the Hopman Cup.

"I was nervous returning (Williams' serve). People talk about her serve so much and I see why it is such a wonderful serve because you just can't read it," Federer said. "It was great fun. You see how determined and focused she is, and I love that about her."

Federer and playing partner Belinda Bencic overcame Williams and Frances Tiafoe in the Fast4 format as Switzerland beat the U.S. 2-1 in front of a 14,000 capacity crowd.

Federer and Williams shared a good-natured interview afterward and then engaged in a selfie.

"It was so fun. This is super cool that we get to do it at such a pinnacle point of our careers," Williams said. "I was so excited, and literally it was the match of my career. Just playing someone so great, and someone you admire so much, and a match that actually means something."

Federer and Williams, both 37, have won 43 Grand Slam singles titles between them.

http://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/i...tch-hopman-cup

Go USA!!

Federer and Williams, both 37, have won 43 Grand Slam singles titles between them.
    That's just sick. Most humans would be thrilled to win one. You can't help but be impressed with that stat.

Congrats to Minnesota's own!

Go USA!!

Sock desperate to turn around dismal form

Ahead of the Australian Open last year, Jack Sock was at a career-high eighth in the world rankings, but after a horror season he has plunged outside the top 100 and is desperate to turn it around.

The American's form slump has been dramatic. He played 31 singles matches in 2018, winning a mere nine.

He lost to Bernard Tomic in his opening match at this week's Kooyong Classic in Melbourne, and was on the losing end again on Thursday to Canadian teenager Denis Shapovalov, going down 6-2, 3-6, 10-7.

The final set was played as a 10-point tiebreak, which will also be used at the first Grand Slam of the season beginning on Monday.

Under the rules, the first player to win at least 10 points by a two-point margin takes the match.

"I had some pretty low moments last year, it was horrendous," said Sock. "I did a lot of regrouping in the off-season, talking to family, team members, coaches.

"I'm trying to take a positive outlook. I know the level that I can play the game, where my game should be."

With the Australian Open just days away, he is grateful to be out of the spotlight to focus on himself.

"It's nice to be able to fly under the radar and do my own thing."

https://www.sport24.co.za/Tennis/ATP...-form-20190110

Go USA!!

Default Tennis 2019

Aussie Open starts next week!

Shocking news, Andy Murray just announced that he will retire. Says the pain in his hip is too great to continue playing. He wants Wimbledon to be his final tournament, but he doesn't know if he can even play that long. Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by mplarson7 View Post

Shocking news, Andy Murray just announced that he will retire. Says the pain in his hip is too great to continue playing. He wants Wimbledon to be his final tournament, but he doesn't know if he can even play that long. Wow.
    That sucks.
    Aloha Mr. Hand

Quote Originally Posted by mplarson7 View Post

Follow me on twitter: @skiumahgopher

Isner lost in the first round, but the good news is he lost to young American Reilly Opelka, who is the first 7-footer every on the ATP tour! This is the biggest win of Reilly's young career.

Other American's winning in the first round: Tiafoe, Kudla, McDonald and Fritz. On the women's side, winner's include: Vickery, Collins with an upset over the 14th seed, Sloane Stephens took out Taylor Townsend. Our own Mattek-Sands went out easily.

Go USA!!

And true to form from last year, Sock wins the first set and is now down 2 sets to 1 and a break of serve.

What a win! Tiafoe takes out 5-seed Anderson 46 64 64 75.

McDonald putting up a battle against Cilic, but down 2 sets to 1.

Fritz at a set all vs. Monfils, would love to see him pull that one out.

Awesome to see Tiafoe pull that match out, what a big time win for him. And Fritz pulled his match up! Wow, two big wins for the young American's.

17 year old American Amanda Anisimova pulled off a huge upset over #24 Lesia Tsurenko and is now in the 3rd round. She's the youngest player in the Top 100. She has a very bright future.

Go USA!!

ESPN: Amanda Anisimova, Frances Tiafoe and career-defining matches for the Americans

Before Wednesday, American teen Amanda Anisimova hadn't seen the second round at a Grand Slam. Heck, she'd never been to Australia before arriving in Melbourne last week. But after a dominant 6-0, 6-2 win over No. 24 Lesia Tsurenko in the second round, Anisimova, who has won all four of her sets, has folks wondering just how far into the draw she can go.

"When I got on court, I was focused," Anisimova, 17, said about Wednesday's match. "I was really relaxed and my game was really on today. I felt like a lot of competitiveness came out. I want to let my opponents know I'm here to stay and play a long match, so I'm going to fight for every single point."

Currently the youngest player ranked in the top 100 and the 2017 US Open junior champion, Anisimova had an encouraging 2018 season in which she made the fourth round at Indian Wells and the third round in Cincinnati. Born in Freehold, New Jersey, to Russian-born parents, Anisimova moved to south Florida with her parents and older sister, Maria, at age 3, and for most of her career has been coached by her father, Konstantin. At 5-foot-11, Anisimova is known for her aggressive game and powerful serve, as well as a calm focus well beyond her years.

At Indian Wells, the then-16-year-old used all of those tools to defeat two top-25 players, including then-No. 9 Petra Kvitova, who was in the midst of a 14-match win streak.

"That tournament definitely opened my eyes that I can play at a really top level," Anisimova said. "It was a confidence-booster, but it was also motivation, like I want to do this again. I want to get better and better. That was a great start to the year."

http://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/i...ches-americans

Go USA!!

He admittedly tends to exaggerate, but Brad Gilbert said on air to expect Anisimova to contend for major championships within the next 12 months.

Wow our girl Anisimova knocks off the 11 seed in straight sets!! On to the 4th round, amazing!!

Go USA!!

Just watched Anisimova take out 11-seed Sabalenka 63 62...completely out-slugged her. Dang, she is a very impressive player. We're going to be seeing a lot of her. I can't believe she's only 17!