STrib: Top 10 Minnesota sports stories of 2018 (7. Gophers football takes back axe)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per STrib:

7. Gophers football takes back the axe

The Gophers’ 37-15 victory at Wisconsin in the regular-season finale, above, was significant on several levels, but more than anything it seemed to have a cathartic effect on a tortured fan base. Defeating the Badgers for the first time since 2003, winning in Madison for the first time since 1994 and doing it convincingly gave Gophers fans bragging rights, gave P.J. Fleck a signature victory and launched Minnesota into bowl-eligibility.

http://www.startribune.com/top-10-minnesota-sports-stories-of-2018/503695502/

Go Gophers!!

per STrib:

7. Gophers football takes back the axe

The Gophers’ 37-15 victory at Wisconsin in the regular-season finale, above, was significant on several levels, but more than anything it seemed to have a cathartic effect on a tortured fan base. Defeating the Badgers for the first time since 2003, winning in Madison for the first time since 1994 and doing it convincingly gave Gophers fans bragging rights, gave P.J. Fleck a signature victory and launched Minnesota into bowl-eligibility.

http://www.startribune.com/top-10-minnesota-sports-stories-of-2018/503695502/

Go Gophers!!

I didn't click the link, but were the losses to Illinois, Nebraska, and Maryland ranked higher than #7? Reusse told us that's what people would remember from this season. Just want to make sure that's accurate.

So what are the top six sports stories according to the Strib?

Getting the Axe back should be No. 1.

Without reading the article I predict the stories in front of ax back are:
Minnesota Super Bowl
Viking playoff run
Whalen back
Butler saga

Don’t know what else

I'm guessing....

Minneapolis miracle

Super bowl at USBank stadium

Mauer retires

Butler trade

Molitor fired....

I'm surprised Whalen would be high than the Axe

Our complex with the media continues. Do we really feel snubbed because on a write up of top sports stories of the year, the Wisconsin win was on it but not high enough? No wonder some of the media personalities enjoy getting us riled up.

For those who have allergies to the Strib:

10. New hockey coaches for Wild and Gophers
9. Death of John Gagliardi
8. Molitor fired, Baldelli hired
7. Gophers win Axe
6. Cousins signs $84 million contract
5. Butler holdout and trade
4. Lindsey Whalen WNBA player to Gopher coach
3. Mauer retires
2. Minnesotans (Women's hockey, women's x-country skiing, men's curling) win Gold at Olympics
1. Minneapolis Miracle and US Bank Super Bowl

It would be hard to beat hosting a Super Bowl and the Minneapolis Miracle - those are world wide type stories, the Jimmy Butler situation, Whalen returning to the U, and Joe Mauer retiring are also huge local stories. I love the Gophers as much as anyone but they are placed pretty accurately.

For those who have allergies to the Strib:

10. New hockey coaches for Wild and Gophers
9. Death of John Gagliardi
8. Molitor fired, Baldelli hired
7. Gophers win Axe
6. Cousins signs $84 million contract
5. Butler holdout and trade
4. Lindsey Whalen WNBA player to Gopher coach
3. Mauer retires
2. Minnesotans (Women's hockey, women's x-country skiing, men's curling) win Gold at Olympics
1. Minneapolis Miracle and US Bank Super Bowl

Pretty good year of sports in Minnesota! I am not allergic to the Strib but have used all my free articles up...

Top Bottom