Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I’m seeing 58 bench minutes for IL to 18 min for MIN.

Four annoying things (mostly coaching):

1. Gophers couldn't attack a 2-3 zone
    2. Gophers couldn't defend the Illini guards dribbling at the top of the arc. They'd set up a simple screen and then be wide open for a jumper or a drive to the lane.
    3. Wittenger: Minnesota got what they wanted in the first half and then got stiffed in the paint in the second half.
    4. Three point shooting (let alone three point making) isn't a natural part of the offense.

Okay maybe there's fifth-conditioning compared to last season. That was a tired group of players at games end.

Kaposi, Hubbard and Tomancova were on the sidelines in warmups during pregame. Tomancova was in a boot; the other two were moving normally.

In some ways, the most appalling loss since Winona State. Ugh

http://www.startribune.com/brutal-se...ois/503976162/

Yes, ugh.

Up 17 points early in the third quarter, up 10 entering the fourth, the University of Minnesota women’s basketball team collapsed Sunday at Williams Arena, losing to Illinois 66-62.

The Gophers used an impressive run to end the second quarter to take a 14-point halftime lead. But, when it mattered, the Gophers couldn’t score.

While being out-scored 23-9 over the final 10 minutes of the game, in front of 6,622 fans, the Gophers shot just 4-for-20 and turned the ball over seven times. Up 62-61 with 1:21 left, the Gophers went scoreless the rest of the way.

A huge loss at home to a team that had a 29 or 30 game conference losing streak. Lamke with a great first half and 18 points, doesn't score a point in the second half, including missing two crucial free throws near the end of the game. Pitts 1 of 10 from three. Brunson with a solid game. I feel worse today than I felt last year after an early home loss to Nebraska in which I thought that Nebraska was going to be near the bottom of the BIG. Wittinger made the difference in the second half with 6 or 7 blocks. This year's version of the Gophers is offensively challenged and I'm not sure they'll be able to change that even if Hubbard returns.

Jasmine had a strong game: 17 points, 7-11 shooting (3-4 from three), 2 assists and 2 turnovers. I think it was the first media timeout where Whalen called Jasmine over before huddling with the coaches and gave her some what appeared to be "pick it up!" advice. It was certainly demonstrative on Lindsey's part. However, not as demonstrative as Nancy Fahey who lit into her team in the first quarter after their slow start.

Blog Entries

Whalen did say the real test will be the Big Ten games. IMHO, she sensed this Big Ten season is going to be a long one for the Gophers.

The Gophers don't have good bench depth. Illinois certainly utilized their deep bench strength playing ten players, nine of them significant minutes. This is the difference in the second half with the Gophers having to face fresh Illinois players in their 2-3 zone.

The Gophers played five player 33-40 minutes each. Staples played 16 minutes and Perez only 2 minutes.

Tomamcova out, Gadiva Hubbard - what's her status? Mercedes Staples - can she play defense and shoot threes consistently?

Injuries are a bummer. Injuries and a short bench play are going to haunt the Gophers all season.

The questions is, do you want the starters to continue playing mega minutes and wear down, or do you sacrifice early Big Ten defeats and play the bench more minutes to develop them?

https://gophersports.com/boxscore.as...22&path=wbball

The Gophers lost "Happy" Houfat Mahouchiza due to international qualifying requirements or something. As a result they only have twelve roster players compared to fifteen for Illinois.
    Last edited by hungan1; 01-06-2019 at 07:54 PM.
    Welcome to Badger Road Kill Country!

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius L Hoops View Post
    http://www.startribune.com/brutal-se...ois/503976162/

Yes, ugh.

Up 17 points early in the third quarter, up 10 entering the fourth, the University of Minnesota women’s basketball team collapsed Sunday at Williams Arena, losing to Illinois 66-62.

The Gophers used an impressive run to end the second quarter to take a 14-point halftime lead. But, when it mattered, the Gophers couldn’t score.

While being out-scored 23-9 over the final 10 minutes of the game, in front of 6,622 fans, the Gophers shot just 4-for-20 and turned the ball over seven times. Up 62-61 with 1:21 left, the Gophers went scoreless the rest of the way.
    The reader comments from this article are not happy and friendly at all. The honeymoon might already be over for Whalen. She really needs a win over MSU to help keep the believers. I think she’ll have to use more players to make it happen. Players getting worn out, like I said after the last game. Once again, Perez wasn’t used. Why? Not even a heat check? Afraid to take Pitts cold shooting out of the game? It’s to the point that you can’t even call Pitts streaky. Whatever she had last year didn’t come back.
    Last edited by Shades; 01-06-2019 at 07:39 PM.

I have an idea. The three point shooters should practice at the Lynx facility. They have a feedback system that reports and calls out the angle of ball entry of every made shot. So you strive to shoot the ideal angle (whatever it is) and it becomes engrained into the muscle memory. I have a feeling they haven’t been doing this because the shooting stinks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shades View Post
    I have an idea. The three point shooters should practice at the Lynx facility. They have a feedback system that reports and calls out the angle of ball entry of every made shot. So you strive to shoot the ideal angle (whatever it is) and it becomes engrained into the muscle memory. I have a feeling they haven’t been doing this because the shooting stinks.
    It is more than just shooting. There is lots of inexperience.
    Welcome to Badger Road Kill Country!

[QUOTE=Ignatius L Hoops;1668881]Four annoying things (mostly coaching):

2. Gophers couldn't defend the Illini guards dribbling at the top of the arc. They'd set up a simple screen and then be wide open for a jumper or a drive to the lane.
    3. Wittenger: Minnesota got what they wanted in the first half and then got stiffed in the paint in the second half.
    4. Three point shooting (let alone three point making) isn't a natural part of the offense.

Okay maybe there's fifth-conditioning compared to last season. That was a tired group of players at games end.

Kaposi, Hubbard and Tomancova were on the sidelines in warmups during pregame. Tomancova was in a boot; the other two were moving normally.[/QUOTE

Probably moot point, but I missed Whalen’s post game comments on Illinois game.

Quote Originally Posted by Shades View Post
    The reader comments from this article are not happy and friendly at all. The honeymoon might already be over for Whalen. She really needs a win over MSU to help keep the believers. I think she’ll have to use more players to make it happen. Players getting worn out, like I said after the last game. Once again, Perez wasn’t used. Why? Not even a heat check? Afraid to take Pitts cold shooting out of the game? It’s to the point that you can’t even call Pitts streaky. Whatever she had last year didn’t come back.
    As a fan, Im curious why a coach wouldn’t develop and play the bench more.

From Youngblood's STrib article:

It didn’t help that Whalen’s team is playing shorthanded. They are still without Gadiva Hubbard, who has yet to play following foot surgery. And top backup post player Palma Kaposi missed Sunday’s game with an undisclosed injury.

Would seem like they need to make a decision about Hubbard and whether she can play at all this season. If not, that leaves our bench even thinner. While I'm not suggesting this as a serious idea....maybe get a couple of walk ons to 'join" the team to provide some additional practice folks besides the men's practice team? Hannah Garry was at the Barn today (long time fans will remember her!), maybe there are some young Hannahs on campus we could borrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius L Hoops View Post
    Four annoying things (mostly coaching):

Kaposi, Hubbard and Tomancova were on the sidelines in warmups during pregame. Tomancova was in a boot; the other two were moving normally.
    I dont think attacking the zone was that bad, Illinois basically had all 5 of their players in the paint forcing the Gophers to shoot from outside. Pitts had alot of good looks and couldnt hit. I do think conditioning is playing a part, they looked drained at the end of the game. The lack of shooting and bad turnovers need to be fixed or this will end up being a long season.