Bad wins in bowl game determination

MNSpaniel

Reaction score
I have always heard that no win in a bad win. However, when determining who goes to the top bowl games "Bad Wins" should factor in.

Every year there are teams that squeak by teams they should just pound. I think that should be part of the consideration when choosing the top four.

Notre Dame for example, had a number of close games against teams that were not that good. I think you could see this blowout coming.

The entitled kids from ND are almost always "overrated"

I do think there is a bias when it comes to Notre Dame. I just used them as an example because I was familiar with their schedule. However, it happens every year. However, ND can be polarizing and are good for TV ratings.

I have always heard that no win in a bad win. However, when determining who goes to the top bowl games "Bad Wins" should factor in.

Every year there are teams that squeak by teams they should just pound. I think that should be part of the consideration when choosing the top four.

Notre Dame for example, had a number of close games against teams that were not that good. I think you could see this blowout coming.

Name the ND wins that were bad wins. Then tell me who you would put ahead of them and how you would justify it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Name the ND wins that were bad wins. Then tell me who you would put ahead of them and how you would justify it.

Georgia!
Because they didn’t get their asses handed to them until the second half!

/s

Notre Dame results against teams they should have blown out: Ball State 4-8 beat by 8, Vanderbilt 6-7 beat by 5, Pittsburgh a crazy amount of games for them. 7-8 beat by 5. Penn State beat Pitt by 45. , a 5-7 USC beat by 7, all those were too close of games.
I would put in Ohio State if not for Pudue. However did they pound Michigan at the end of the season. ND beat Michigan early. IMO I don’t think ND beats Michigan at the end of the year.

This year Georgia proved that they could play with Alabama but to me the Conference championship game is like a play-off game. Once you get beat that late in the year you are done. Ohio State never should have been chosen over Penn State after they beat Ohio State in the championship game.

So if you look at all the Conf. Championship games the play-offs have already been expanded. The play-off committee should make a point of that. It would make their life easier. Then make the best at large teams have a play-in game against each other if they want to be considered.

Happy Year Everyone ! You can tell how exciting my life is as I am typing this to you as New Year's enters.

I hate Notre Dame as much as anyone, but they earned their spot in the playoff.

Notre Dame results against teams they should have blown out: Ball State 4-8 beat by 8, Vanderbilt 6-7 beat by 5, Pittsburgh a crazy amount of games for them. 7-8 beat by 5. Penn State beat Pitt by 45. , a 5-7 USC beat by 7, all those were too close of games.
I would put in Ohio State if not for Pudue. However did they pound Michigan at the end of the season. ND beat Michigan early. IMO I don’t think ND beats Michigan at the end of the year.

This year Georgia proved that they could play with Alabama but to me the Conference championship game is like a play-off game. Once you get beat that late in the year you are done. Ohio State never should have been chosen over Penn State after they beat Ohio State in the championship game.

So if you look at all the Conf. Championship games the play-offs have already been expanded. The play-off committee should make a point of that. It would make their life easier. Then make the best at large teams have a play-in game against each other if they want to be considered.

Happy Year Everyone ! You can tell how exciting my life is as I am typing this to you as New Year's enters.

Would be great if it was 8 teams, but it’s only 4, and you can’t make an argument for a more deserving team than Notre Dame. Georgia lost twice, ND never lost (of course ND didn’t play at LSU or vs Bama). If you ask me, Georgia should have been the 4th team in.

Bad wins are better than bad losses when 1 team has no losses. OSU had a bad, bad, bad loss. Oklahoma had a bad loss AND some bad wins.

Should have been Georgia. I’ll agree ND didn’t have many good wins. Syracuse, NW, Michigan, Stanford?

Still think we already have expanded play-offs when you count the conference championship games. Big 10, Big 12, Pac 10, ACC and SEC. That is an additional five teams that are basically in a play-off.

If the committee put the best at large teams in a play-in game if they want to be considered. Example this year: Notre Dame vs UCF. The winner would be considered for the play-off.

OU’s win in over time againstArmy, followed by OU’s win over Texas in the Big XII championship game. Texas lost games to Maryland, OkSt, and West Virginia. It was a win weighted more heavily because they had previously beat OU.

Would be great if it was 8 teams, but it’s only 4

Remember when the championship was determined by 2 teams and one game? People said if we only expanded to 4, then an undefeated team would probably never be left out. Problem solved!

That solved everything, didn't it?

It actually did fix the original issue, but now the argument has simply shifted from the 3rd team to the 5th team. Ten years ago we were only concerned about leaving undefeated teams out, but now that we have the four teams, we are lending more sympathy to the great teams who had one bad game (Ohio State & Georgia), whereas 10 years leaving these teams out would have never been given a second thought.

So now people are demanding an 8 team playoff. If we get it, then a few years that people will demand 12 or 16. Just look at the basketball tournament, there are 68 teams in it, yet we spend a solid 3 days complaining about #69 which was left at home.

There will always be the arguing and debates because it's just too good of TV.

....So now people are demanding an 8 team playoff. If we get it, then a few years that people will demand 12 or 16. Just look at the basketball tournament, there are 68 teams in it, yet we spend a solid 3 days complaining about #69 which was left at home.

There will always be the arguing and debates because it's just too good of TV.

And that field was expanded from 64 to 68 teams because of bubble teams that had absolutely no bearing on the championship.

With a few tweaks, I think CFPs 4 team playoff is works well. Plus, it protects most of the bowl game structure too which I really enjoy.

What about really good losses?

I hate the argument that ND should have been left out. They had a legitimate schedule. If Bama, or Georgia, or OSU, or Oklahoma, or Clemson, or any power 5 went undefeated against ND's schedule by the same margins of victory, they would be in with no controversy.

And that field was expanded from 64 to 68 teams because of bubble teams that had absolutely no bearing on the championship.

With a few tweaks, I think CFPs 4 team playoff is works well. Plus, it protects most of the bowl game structure too which I really enjoy.

It actually had nothing to do with bubble teams. Four new conferences popped up and the committee did not want to get rid of any of the at-large bids. The bubble teams remained bubble teams.

I think Georgia is the 2nd best team in the country and I am glad they didn’t make the playoff.
I think Alabama was the best team in the country last year but I don’t think they should’ve been in the playoff.

I hate the argument that ND should have been left out. They had a legitimate schedule. If Bama, or Georgia, or OSU, or Oklahoma, or Clemson, or any power 5 went undefeated against ND's schedule by the same margins of victory, they would be in with no controversy.

Agree, Notre Dame played a tougher schedule than Clemson IMO

Agree, Notre Dame played a tougher schedule than Clemson IMO

Conference schedules are inherently more difficult than independent schedules because of the rivalries. I don't think a NC "rivalry" game is the same, because it means nothing in the standings to either team. Also, ND has played only 20 true regular season road games in 5 years.

Conference schedules are inherently more difficult than independent schedules because of the rivalries. I don't think a NC "rivalry" game is the same, because it means nothing in the standings to either team. Also, ND has played only 20 true regular season road games in 5 years.

Didn’t realize Syracuse was a tougher game for Clemson than it was for Notre Dame. My bad. Forgot about that Clemson Syracuse rivalry game.

Also forgot that teams don’t try in non-conference games.

Would love to see all P5 conferences agree to at least nine conference games per year.

The cool thing about small wins and big wins is that they're both wins. Scoring more points than your opponent is all that matters.

The cool thing about small wins and big wins is that they're both wins. Scoring more points than your opponent is all that matters.

Completely agree, although who the HC is matters to some GHers when it comes to that..

Could the Gophers have upset Notre Dame had they played late in the season? Just dreaming.

As it is, I don't see how you could have kept ND out this year. That said, at this point they are 0-4 in BCS/New Year's Six bowl games, I think next year the committee would have to think hard about including them if they are again in that position.

I also would be fine if they said only conference champions would be considered. (Sucks to be you, ND...) I do think there's a difference playing conference games and non-conference. There is a different air to the game, if you will.

Top Bottom