2019 College Basketball Coaches Fired/Hired Thread

Some places they actually do. Some places a third of the starters are getting masters degrees. Some schools actually do not have agricultural recreation and athlete dominated classes. Starts in recruiting. Geberally the best student athletes look for the best schools and you target them . There are a many athletes that are great students.

I work with student-athletes and am very aware of the varying experiences, interests, and readiness they each bring to college. And, I also know that there are very, very few schools who do not make exceptions and accept student-athletes who do not have the credentials to get in the school otherwise. I see it all the time. I also find it sad that people assume all student-athletes are poor student when that couldn't be further from the truth.

sounds official now

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I work with student-athletes and am very aware of the varying experiences, interests, and readiness they each bring to college. And, I also know that there are very, very few schools who do not make exceptions and accept student-athletes who do not have the credentials to get in the school otherwise. I see it all the time. I also find it sad that people assume all student-athletes are poor student when that couldn't be further from the truth.

My comments were not meant to disrespect the many student athletes that work their tail off to get a degree. It is a great opportunity for thousands of kids to get degree. Like you said, even Yale and Stanford makes exceptions, which I don’t think is a bad idea.

Some places they actually do. Some places a third of the starters are getting masters degrees. Some schools actually do not have agricultural recreation and athlete dominated classes. Starts in recruiting. Geberally the best student athletes look for the best schools and you target them . There are a many athletes that are great students.

If Stanford and Yale are using different requirements, then what is the point if some school like Wichita State (just guessing) doesn’t. I am not saying they are poor students.

The masters degrees can be a little misleading. The only way that some of those 5th or 6th year students (injuries, red shirts, etc...) can still play is if they are taking classes. They have already completed their 4 year degree.

I don’t mean to sound negative, because a large percentage of the student athletes work very hard to get their degree for a career after sports. And many of them take school very seriously.

Agree, it starts in recruiting and also in the school culture. UNC did not do any of their graduates a favor by allowing bogus classes to count towards graduation requirements. It basically denigrated the quality of any degree obtained at UNC, and they should lose their accreditation. All just to save sports!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ESPN: Belmont coach retiring after 33 years, 805 wins

Belmont head coach Rick Byrd is retiring after 33 seasons with the Bruins, the school announced Monday.

Byrd took over at the school in 1986, when the program was still in the NAIA.

"For the past 33 years, it has been my privilege to work with, and for, a remarkable community of men and women at Belmont University," Byrd said via statement. "Throughout my tenure as men's basketball coach, our program has received great support from Belmont's administration, faculty, staff and students. For this, I am forever grateful. Personally, I have been the beneficiary of a very supportive family that I could count on every single day, a loyal circle of friends who consistently offered encouragement, and a terrific fan base that has embraced our program and our players for over three decades. Most importantly, it has been an honor to coach the young men that have brought credit to Belmont University, not only by how they played the game, but how they represented our university all over our country."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...6185/belmont-coach-retiring-33-years-805-wins

Go Gophers!!

ESPN: Belmont coach retiring after 33 years, 805 wins

Belmont head coach Rick Byrd is retiring after 33 seasons with the Bruins, the school announced Monday.

"For the past 33 years, it has been my privilege to work with, and for, a remarkable community of men and women at Belmont University," Byrd said via statement. "Throughout my tenure as men's basketball coach, our program has received great support from Belmont's administration, faculty, staff and students. For this, I am forever grateful. Personally, I have been the beneficiary of a very supportive family that I could count on every single day, a loyal circle of friends who consistently offered encouragement, and a terrific fan base that has embraced our program and our players for over three decades. Most importantly, it has been an honor to coach the young men that have brought credit to Belmont University, not only by how they played the game, but how they represented our university all over our country."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...6185/belmont-coach-retiring-33-years-805-wins

Go Gophers!!

Nice way to go out, with an NCAA berth and win.

That's almost like taking a program from high school to D1. NAIA basketball is some weak stuff. A lot of good high school teams could beat most NAIA teams. What a journey.

That's almost like taking a program from high school to D1. NAIA basketball is some weak stuff. A lot of good high school teams could beat most NAIA teams. What a journey.

I don't know much about the NAIA, but I don't think you do either. You might want to give them a quick check before you compare them to high school. Actually, I think their stronger conferences would compare rather well to NCAA D-2.

http://www.naia.org/

I don't know much about the NAIA, but I don't think you do either. You might want to give them a quick check before you compare them to high school. Actually, I think their stronger conferences would compare rather well to NCAA D-2.

http://www.naia.org/

I don't think comparing NAIA teams from the 80's/early 90's to today is even relevant. Many programs that are D1 and DII today were NAIA back then.

Laughably bad take.

Rumors that Vanderbilt is looking at hiring Jerry Stackhouse.

Some chatter about Buzz Williams to Texas A&M and Wojo to Virginia Tech.

Some chatter about Buzz Williams to Texas A&M and Wojo to Virginia Tech.

What’s the attraction of A&M to Buzz other than more dough possibly- gotta believe VT would pony up to keep him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What’s the attraction of A&M to Buzz other than more dough possibly- gotta believe VT would pony up to keep him.

I think this same question was asked in the recruiting thread. He grew up in Texas and has been an assistant at A&M earlier in his career. I thought I remember that him going to Virginia Tech was primarily due to him not getting along with his boss at Marquette. Maybe Virginia Tech was just a nice high major landing spot to get out of Milwaukee, but A&M has more personal appeal.

He's from Texas.
Will lose most of his starters at Va Tech where A&M is likely going to bring back 7 of their top 8 players.
No more going against Coach K, Roy, Boeheim, and Tony Bennett on a regular basis.

Would be way less surprised at Buzz taking the A&M job than I would be by Wojo taking Va Tech.

I think this same question was asked in the recruiting thread. He grew up in Texas and has been an assistant at A&M earlier in his career. I thought I remember that him going to Virginia Tech was primarily due to him not getting along with his boss at Marquette. Maybe Virginia Tech was just a nice high major landing spot to get out of Milwaukee, but A&M has more personal appeal.

It’s that and money. There were other factors with Fisher leaving FSU but they are allowing these coaches to name their price pretty much at A&M. The donors have very very deep pockets. I’m sure Tech would give Buzz a respectable offer but can’t match the facilities, fan support, weaker conference, easier area to recruit in and obviously the local ties that you point out. If this mean Wojo leaves Marquette its a win for us. He really seemed to be gaining traction with some of the more talented locals here.

It’s that and money. There were other factors with Fisher leaving FSU but they are allowing these coaches to name their price pretty much at A&M. The donors have very very deep pockets. I’m sure Tech would give Buzz a respectable offer but can’t match the facilities, fan support, weaker conference, easier area to recruit in and obviously the local ties that you point out. If this mean Wojo leaves Marquette its a win for us. He really seemed to be gaining traction with some of the more talented locals here.

Agree. More money, better resourses and facilities. TAM can print money. Recruiting not so much. Put a 300 mile radius around VTECH and you will be shocked at what a awesome reach that is. The problem for Wojo at VTECH is UVA, Duke, UNC all really close by and a murderous top of the conference . Louisville is going to be great and fast with the class they bring in. This week at the Downtown Hilton will be a great time, the deals on jobs and staff will be wild. Getting there tomorrow.

Take this for what it's worth. Credit to Gopher Lady, who retweeted it.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Agree. More money, better resourses and facilities. TAM can print money. Recruiting not so much. Put a 300 mile radius around VTECH and you will be shocked at what a awesome reach that is. The problem for Wojo at VTECH is UVA, Duke, UNC all really close by and a murderous top of the conference . Louisville is going to be great and fast with the class they bring in. This week at the Downtown Hilton will be a great time, the deals on jobs and staff will be wild. Getting there tomorrow.

My point on the recruiting aspect has more to do with the amount of competition for DMV kids locally. While A&M should have an easier time pretty much locking down the DFW area.

im calling shenengians. All the up and coming coaches out there and Ark is focused on Pitino and Fran?

im calling shenengians. All the up and coming coaches out there and Ark is focused on Pitino and Fran?

Dwight Schrute mixed up Alabama and Arkansas. Pretty common mistake for a southern or Iowa educated person.

In all honesty, sounds like a way to attempt to get Musselman to commit quicker or for less money.

Dwight Schrute mixed up Alabama and Arkansas. Pretty common mistake for a southern or Iowa educated person.

In all honesty, sounds like a way to attempt to get Musselman to commit quicker or for less money.

at first i checked the date to see if it was April fools.

I checked the Ark message board and they think its Musselman, with them also on Marshal, Alford, and Sampson

at first i checked the date to see if it was April fools.

I checked the Ark message board and they think its Musselman, with them also on Marshal, Alford, and Sampson

I am being told by a respected agent that it is and only has been between Sampson and Muss.

Interesting info. Arkansas paid Anderson about 2.5 million per year which is only slightly more than McCaffrey made at Iowa plus McCaffrey has a pretty large buyout that makes firing him unlikely anytime soon. He has mostly everyone returning next year on his Iowa team. I don't know why he'd take the risk of leaving for Arkansas unless he figures he's retiring in four or five years anyway and would like a change of scenery.

If Pitino actively is interviewing for positions, I suspect that has to have some impact on the time available for recruiting and that's not good news.

Interesting info. Arkansas paid Anderson about 2.5 million per year which is only slightly more than McCaffrey made at Iowa plus McCaffrey has a pretty large buyout that makes firing him unlikely anytime soon. He has mostly everyone returning next year on his Iowa team. I don't know why he'd take the risk of leaving for Arkansas unless he figures he's retiring in four or five years anyway and would like a change of scenery.

If Pitino actively is interviewing for positions, I suspect that has to have some impact on the time available for recruiting and that's not good news.
this is all BS

Over on the Arkansas board they tracked a charter flight out of Arkansas, yesterday, that stopped in Iowa City, Minneapolis, Reno, and SoCal so those rumors may be true.

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

Top Bottom