2019 College Basketball Coaches Fired/Hired Thread

It will take a few years but Cronin will win big at UCLA.

Cronin leaves Cincinnati to take UCLA job

One hundred days since UCLA fired Steve Alford, the Bruins finally have their new head coach.

Mick Cronin, who led the Cincinnati Bearcats to nine consecutive NCAA tournament appearances, has agreed to a six-year, $24 million contract with UCLA, it was announced Tuesday.

"Mick Cronin is a fierce competitor, and I'm excited to welcome him to Westwood," UCLA athletic director Dan Guerrero said in a statement. "Mick has built a fantastic program at Cincinnati, backed by integrity and discipline, and he has instilled an undeniable toughness in his student-athletes. I am confident he will build this program the right way and lead UCLA basketball back to national prominence."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...478769/cronin-leaves-cincinnati-take-ucla-job

Go Gophers!!

Mick is definitely not Hollywood. Maybe what the Bruins need. Alford wasn't Hollywood either, and that didn't work. One thing for sure is that he will coach out the softness that has marked UCLA for a long time. He won't put up with it.

Marcus chimes in:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Is it my imagination, or has this been a particularly frantic coaching carousel this year?

Is it my imagination, or has this been a particularly frantic coaching carousel this year?

A lot of big programs departed from their coaches this year. That just initiates a domino effect that opens up a lot of coaching vacancies

If winning a 1st-round game & perhaps an occasional 2nd-round game is the end game, Cronin is the right guy for UCLA.

So St. John's and Cincy have yet to fill. Pitino rumor mill might not be done for the year.

If winning a 1st-round game & perhaps an occasional 2nd-round game is the end game, Cronin is the right guy for UCLA.

Somehow I don't think that is what the brass and fan base in Westwood have in mind. Alford got canned after three or four Sweet Sixteen appearances and consistently high rated recruiting classes.

Basically a no risk venture for Mick. He gets a pile of money and when he gets canned he'll be in line for another decent job because UCLA is impossible and everyone knows it.

Also rumors out here the Richard’s dad is pushing hard for the StJ job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein
Nevada couldn't hire just anyone to replace Eric Musselman. Steve Alford was dominant in the Mountain West before leaving New Mexico. If he winds up heading to Reno, it's a great hire for the Wolf Pack.

I don’t understand how Alford keeps getting hired.

ESPN: Sadler steps down as Southern Miss coach

Southern Miss head coach Doc Sadler has stepped down from his position, the school announced Thursday.

Sadler is expected to join Fred Hoiberg's staff at Nebraska, sources told ESPN. Sadler spent one season with as an assistant coach under Hoiberg at Iowa State and was the head coach at Nebraska for six seasons.

"I'd like to thank the administration, fans and especially the players for sticking with us through difficult times but also in the fun times," Sadler said. "As a coach, one of the things that I always try to do is prepare my players for life and hopefully I have lived by that example. With the support of my family, I've decided it's time for me to take a step back from being a head coach. I feel very comfortable doing that as I know that I am leaving the program in a good position. After 16 years as a college head coach, it's time to evaluate what's next for me. With a new athletic director in place and a talented young team, I feel that the best days are ahead for Southern Miss basketball."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26497827/sadler-steps-southern-miss-coach

Go Gophers!!

ESPN: BYU hires Utah Valley's Pope as new head coach

BYU has hired Utah Valley's Mark Pope as its next head coach, the school announced Wednesday afternoon.

Pope, 46, replaces Dave Rose, who stepped down last month after 14 seasons in charge of the Cougars.

"This place is like nowhere else," Pope said. "It is a beacon on a hill and it is such an honor and a privilege to have the opportunity to be the head men's basketball coach here at BYU. I couldn't be more proud or more excited. There is a standard of excellence here in everything that happens on this campus."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...094/byu-hires-utah-valley-pope-new-head-coach

Go Gophers!!

ESPN: Sadler steps down as Southern Miss coach

Southern Miss head coach Doc Sadler has stepped down from his position, the school announced Thursday.

Sadler is expected to join Fred Hoiberg's staff at Nebraska, sources told ESPN. Sadler spent one season with as an assistant coach under Hoiberg at Iowa State and was the head coach at Nebraska for six seasons.

"I'd like to thank the administration, fans and especially the players for sticking with us through difficult times but also in the fun times," Sadler said. "As a coach, one of the things that I always try to do is prepare my players for life and hopefully I have lived by that example. With the support of my family, I've decided it's time for me to take a step back from being a head coach. I feel very comfortable doing that as I know that I am leaving the program in a good position. After 16 years as a college head coach, it's time to evaluate what's next for me. With a new athletic director in place and a talented young team, I feel that the best days are ahead for Southern Miss basketball."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26497827/sadler-steps-southern-miss-coach

Go Gophers!!

Voluntarily going back to be an assistant at a place where you used to be the boss? That sounds absolutely awful. Why would anyone want to do that?

Oh, and I really enjoyed the "I've decided it's time for me to take a step back from being a head coach" quote. LOL - as though it were his choice. I know ADs are lining up around the block for a guy pushing 60 who is essentially .500 and has one Tournament appearance in 16 years.

Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein
Nevada couldn't hire just anyone to replace Eric Musselman. Steve Alford was dominant in the Mountain West before leaving New Mexico. If he winds up heading to Reno, it's a great hire for the Wolf Pack.

I don’t understand how Alford keeps getting hired.

He is 55. Started at 27 and won early, through his body of work are conference titles. His conference record is .477 in the big 10. We have a lot of fans that think that is terrific. Steve should get another shot.

Rick Pitino would be a great hire for Cincinnati. He also would have won a lot of games at UCLA, regardless of age. UCLA should have hired him, as he probably wants to coach another 10 years, or as long as he can stay upright.

He is 55. Started at 27 and won early, through his body of work are conference titles. His conference record is .477 in the big 10. We have a lot of fans that think that is terrific. Steve should get another shot.

His overall body of work shows that he is a solid and proven, although not spectacular, coach. Unfortunately, his personality tends not to wear well over time. He was not well liked at Iowa. He was not well liked at UCLA. He was very successful at New Mexico so perhaps personality never became an issue there.

No need for the Pitino shot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There are exactly 0 fans who think that is terrific.

ESPN: BYU hires Utah Valley's Pope as new head coach

BYU has hired Utah Valley's Mark Pope as its next head coach, the school announced Wednesday afternoon.

Pope, 46, replaces Dave Rose, who stepped down last month after 14 seasons in charge of the Cougars.

"This place is like nowhere else," Pope said. "It is a beacon on a hill and it is such an honor and a privilege to have the opportunity to be the head men's basketball coach here at BYU. I couldn't be more proud or more excited. There is a standard of excellence here in everything that happens on this campus."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...094/byu-hires-utah-valley-pope-new-head-coach

Go Gophers!!

So much for "is the Pope Catholic?"

Rick Pitino would be a great hire for Cincinnati. He also would have won a lot of games at UCLA, regardless of age. UCLA should have hired him, as he probably wants to coach another 10 years, or as long as he can stay upright.

I'd say Rick Pitino has three strikes against getting another NCAA job: age, scandal, and litigation.

I'm also not sure he really wants another one anyway.

Top Bottom