2019 College Basketball Coaches Fired/Hired Thread

Over on the Arkansas board they tracked a charter flight out of Arkansas, yesterday, that stopped in Iowa City, Minneapolis, Reno, and SoCal so those rumors may be true.

If Pitino has any brains ... then OF COURSE he's going to talk with any other school that might be showing the slightest bit of interest.

They're using each other.

Ark people are saying "hey [coach they actually want], you better sign with us soon, see, look at all these other coaches who want to come here!"

Pitino is saying "hey Minnesota, you better extend my contract soon, see, look at all these other schools that want me to go there!"

Williard will be an interesting fit at VT. Interested to see how it works out. Buzz will do great in the SEC and I forsee A & M to do well. His style will translate well. Question is where does he go after this stop in 4-5 years?

If Pitino has any brains ... then OF COURSE he's going to talk with any other school that might be showing the slightest bit of interest.

Ark people are saying "hey [coach they actually want], you better sign with us soon, see, look at all these other coaches who want to come here!"

Pitino is saying "hey Minnesota, you better extend my contract soon, see, look at all these other schools that want me to go there!"
Exactly. This is frequent tactic employed by coaches in every sport. Calipari just got himself a lifetime contract at UK for doing this to UCLA.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Exactly

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Most of the time, the actual coach has little to no part in it. It's all the agent's work and job to stir it up.

Williard will be an interesting fit at VT. Interested to see how it works out. Buzz will do great in the SEC and I forsee A & M to do well. His style will translate well. Question is where does he go after this stop in 4-5 years?

Since I think Texas is home for him, he could last a little longer than he has a previous stops. I agree that it is a good fit for him and he will get the Aggies competitive in short order.

Agree. More money, better resourses and facilities. TAM can print money. Recruiting not so much. Put a 300 mile radius around VTECH and you will be shocked at what a awesome reach that is. The problem for Wojo at VTECH is UVA, Duke, UNC all really close by and a murderous top of the conference . Louisville is going to be great and fast with the class they bring in. This week at the Downtown Hilton will be a great time, the deals on jobs and staff will be wild. Getting there tomorrow.

VT is a tough gig and your hero elevating UVa makes it that much tougher. Not many with a choice are choosing Blacksburg over Charlottesville. I was never a huge Buzz fan at Marquette but he did an impressive job there.

Take this for what it's worth. Credit to Gopher Lady, who retweeted it.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

If they take Pitino and we get Muss, I'll take that trade. Heck I'm not sure trading Pitino for Mike Anderson is a downgrade.

Not many with a choice are choosing Blacksburg over Charlottesville.

Be curious to know in what sense you mean this, as it pertains to high-major college basketball players.

They're there, as they probably see it "for a couple years" to ball, drink, get girls, ball some more, and get enough grades to stay eligible. You can do that fairly successfully in either location. Though I imagine the girls in C-ville are probably a much nicer crop than the ag/nerd crowd at B-burg.

Be curious to know in what sense you mean this, as it pertains to high-major college basketball players.

They're there, as they probably see it "for a couple years" to ball, drink, get girls, ball some more, and get enough grades to stay eligible. You can do that fairly successfully in either location. Though I imagine the girls in C-ville are probably a much nicer crop than the ag/nerd crowd at B-burg.

Pretty much all senses. UVa is a superior school and Charlottesville is a nicer town. Ease in getting admitted and keeping grades to stay eligible is the only advantage VT has over UVa.

Plus as noted you have to butt heads with Duke and UNC more often than just top 20 players. Not to mention VCU, Maryland, Georgetown etc.

Pretty much all senses. UVa is a superior school and Charlottesville is a nicer town. Ease in getting admitted and keeping grades to stay eligible is the only advantage VT has over UVa.

Plus as noted you have to butt heads with Duke and UNC more often than just top 20 players. Not to mention VCU, Maryland, Georgetown etc.

Oh you mean for the coach, to recruit players? Gotcha

Though to my point, I really doubt that most high-major college bball players are going to care that UVA is a public ivy or that C-ville has more coffee shops and live music, type of thing ... to each his own though!

Could be fun to see what happens. Rumor is UCLA is talking with tcu’s dixon. Dixon played for tcu in the 80s but grew up near the UCLA campus

Could be fun to see what happens. Rumor is UCLA is talking with tcu’s dixon. Dixon played for tcu in the 80s but grew up near the UCLA campus

I have to imagine that the UCLA fan base wouldn't be ecstatic with Dixon.

VT is a tough gig and your hero elevating UVa makes it that much tougher. Not many with a choice are choosing Blacksburg over Charlottesville. I was never a huge Buzz fan at Marquette but he did an impressive job there.

Nice shot, another personal shot. Should i guess who your hero is. Mine is not someone 30 years younger than i am that i have known since he was 18 years old. We have a personal/business relation with sons firm and i have a history on many levels with that coaching tree. It is true that i am biased to great coaches that do not cheat.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Nice shot, another personal shot. Should i guess who your hero is. Mine is not someone 30 years younger than i am that i have known since he was 18 years old. We have a personal/business relation with sons firm and i have a history on many levels with that coaching tree. It is true that i am biased to great coaches that do not cheat.

Until shown otherwise, I will remain skeptical that cheating is not the name of the game in major college basketball. It’s known. It’s been known. How many movies, that are decades old even, show major prospects getting paid, one way or another. It definitely happens.

Jeff Goodman
@GoodmanHoops
Vanderbilt has agreed to a deal with Memphis Grizzlies assistant and former G-League coach Jerry Stackhouse, source told
@Stadium
. Malcolm Turner ran the G-League before becoming the AD at Vandy, and had Stackhouse on his short list from moment he let Bryce Drew go.

A very strange hire if you ask me. Been wrong before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think what you want. There are many coaches who play it straight.

Jeff Goodman
@GoodmanHoops
Vanderbilt has agreed to a deal with Memphis Grizzlies assistant and former G-League coach Jerry Stackhouse, source told
@Stadium
. Malcolm Turner ran the G-League before becoming the AD at Vandy, and had Stackhouse on his short list from moment he let Bryce Drew go.

A very strange hire if you ask me. Been wrong before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe he can import some of the UNC academic regimen to assist athletes with the rigors at Vandy.

Lighten up. It was a joke. You spend half your posts praising a coach from a different conference, sprinkled with praise for our biggest rival. That's all fine. But getting upset when you get a little grief for it is dumb. Besides I was complimenting him.

ESPN: Va. Tech hires Wofford's Young as new coach

Wofford's Mike Young has been hired as the men's basketball coach at Virginia Tech, the school announced Sunday.

"Coach Young has earned tremendous respect and admiration across the nation for the integrity and winning tradition that were trademarks of his program at Wofford," Virginia Tech athletic director Whit Babcock said in a statement announcing Young's hiring. "His track record of winning consistently on the basketball court combined with his ability to develop young men into leaders and help them fulfill their potential academically and athletically appealed to us at Virginia Tech. His propensity as a recruiter, a teacher and an innovative coach are all attributes that will serve him well at Tech."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...6464970/va-tech-hires-wofford-young-new-coach

Go Gophers!!

Cronin leaves Cincinnati to take UCLA job

One hundred days since UCLA fired Steve Alford, the Bruins finally have their new head coach.

Mick Cronin, who led the Cincinnati Bearcats to nine consecutive NCAA tournament appearances, has agreed to a six-year, $24 million contract with UCLA, it was announced Tuesday.

"Mick Cronin is a fierce competitor, and I'm excited to welcome him to Westwood," UCLA athletic director Dan Guerrero said in a statement. "Mick has built a fantastic program at Cincinnati, backed by integrity and discipline, and he has instilled an undeniable toughness in his student-athletes. I am confident he will build this program the right way and lead UCLA basketball back to national prominence."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...478769/cronin-leaves-cincinnati-take-ucla-job

Go Gophers!!

Cronin leaves Cincinnati to take UCLA job

One hundred days since UCLA fired Steve Alford, the Bruins finally have their new head coach.

Mick Cronin, who led the Cincinnati Bearcats to nine consecutive NCAA tournament appearances, has agreed to a six-year, $24 million contract with UCLA, it was announced Tuesday.

"Mick Cronin is a fierce competitor, and I'm excited to welcome him to Westwood," UCLA athletic director Dan Guerrero said in a statement. "Mick has built a fantastic program at Cincinnati, backed by integrity and discipline, and he has instilled an undeniable toughness in his student-athletes. I am confident he will build this program the right way and lead UCLA basketball back to national prominence."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...478769/cronin-leaves-cincinnati-take-ucla-job

Go Gophers!!

One way to look at it (from a few days ago):

Top Bottom