2019 College Basketball Coaches Fired/Hired Thread

If true, there go the assertions herein that Fred would never lower himself to go back to the college game.

Feddie has the biggest talker/leaker agent in the business. He's putting all this stuff into the press to get things churning. It may be true. It may not, but the whole thing feels unseemly before Miles is even gone. I have no idea what Freddie is like personally or his lifestyle preferences, but I think it takes a mindset that not everyone has to make Lincoln Nebraska home and be happy.

Phil Martelli out at St Joe’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phil Martelli out at St Joe’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

per ESPN:

Saint Joseph's has parted ways with head coach Phil Martelli after 34 years at the university, it was announced on Tuesday.

Martelli, 64, had been the head coach of the Hawks since 1995 and was an assistant coach for the previous 10 seasons.

"Today, Saint Joseph's announced its decision to make a leadership change in its men's basketball program," the school's release stated. "The University will immediately begin a search for a new head coach, with the goal of filling the position in the coming weeks.

"Coach Phil Martelli stands out among his peers in college basketball not only for his long tenure and the many accolades that he and his teams have achieved, but also for his engagement with the community and his service as an ambassador for SJU. The University recognizes and celebrates the history and heart that Coach Martelli brought to the program and thanks him for his long service, dedication and stewardship."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26307312/st-joseph-fires-martelli-34-year-run

Go Gophers!!

Feddie has the biggest talker/leaker agent in the business. He's putting all this stuff into the press to get things churning. It may be true. It may not, but the whole thing feels unseemly before Miles is even gone. I have no idea what Freddie is like personally or his lifestyle preferences, but I think it takes a mindset that not everyone has to make Lincoln Nebraska home and be happy.

...and sure enough, Doogie tweeted today that Fred would prefer a NBA coaching job but does enjoy the college game and would take a college job. Makes a guy wonder how much of a kickback Wolfson get's from Fred's agent. The other thing it makes me wonder is how fast Fred would ditch Lincoln for another League job. My guess: fast. If he'd ditch his Alma Mater, he'd ditch the Huskers...or the Gophers, or anyone. No thanks, is what I'd say to him.

per ESPN:

Saint Joseph's has parted ways with head coach Phil Martelli after 34 years at the university, it was announced on Tuesday.

Martelli, 64, had been the head coach of the Hawks since 1995 and was an assistant coach for the previous 10 seasons.

"Today, Saint Joseph's announced its decision to make a leadership change in its men's basketball program," the school's release stated. "The University will immediately begin a search for a new head coach, with the goal of filling the position in the coming weeks.

"Coach Phil Martelli stands out among his peers in college basketball not only for his long tenure and the many accolades that he and his teams have achieved, but also for his engagement with the community and his service as an ambassador for SJU. The University recognizes and celebrates the history and heart that Coach Martelli brought to the program and thanks him for his long service, dedication and stewardship."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26307312/st-joseph-fires-martelli-34-year-run

Go Gophers!!

Martelli is a great guy. I hope the TV people realize he would be awesome in the studio for sure with his insight and sense of humor. The Hawks have really struggled in the recent past. I know from people in the conversation that university leadership had a conversation with him several years back about putting a little more energy into the program. I think there was a bit of an upturn, but it slipped back again.

Martelli is a great guy. I hope the TV people realize he would be awesome in the studio for sure with his insight and sense of humor. The Hawks have really struggled in the recent past. I know from people in the conversation that university leadership had a conversation with him several years back about putting a little more energy into the program. I think there was a bit of an upturn, but it slipped back again.

Well, he spent 25 years at St. Joe and that is an exceedingly long tenure these days. I'd say St. Joe did all right by him. I agree he might be pretty good as a commentator and that is a lot less stressful.

I don’t get a good feeling about Freddy. Just seems a little too sleazy. If he is as good as he thinks he is, then he shouldn’t settle for Nebraska!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SIU hires Mullins to lead mens basketball program

Southern Illinois announced on Wednesday afternoon that they had hired former Saluki great Bryan Mullins as the next head men’s basketball coach.

Mullins has spent the last four seasons as an assistant coach at Loyola-Chicago, and was a starter on the Salukis 2007 team that advanced to the Sweet 16.

He replaces Barry Hinson who stepped down after seven seasons in Carbondale following the Salukis loss in the second round of the Missouri Valley Conference Tournament.

The Salukis finished the 2018-19 season with a record of 17-15 and failed to make the NCAA Tournament or NIT for the 11th straight season.

“I visited with Bryan fairly early in the search process and he has everything you want in a coach,” SIU Director of Athletics Jerry Kill said in a statement released on Wednesday. “His interview blew me away. When I walked out of there, it was easy to go to the next round of people, because he set the standard of what they had to be, and I couldn’t find anyone better, and I went all over the country.”

https://www.wpsdlocal6.com/2019/03/21/siu-hires-mullins-to-lead-mens-basketball-program/

Go Gophers!!

Rumored that Avery Johnson is going to be fired at Alabama.

Arm pretty tired this morning?

Seriously, I was sweating and trembling for most of the second half. I had to take a walk after the game. There's nothing like your team playing in the championship tournament.

Bryce Drew out at Vanderbilt after 3 seasons.

Lost 5* pg garland early in game 5 into their season to a knee injury. Garland was going to be a one and done. A few good players on that team. It will be interesting to see if they stick around. They had one of the top 2018 recruiting classes

Vanderbilt didn’t win a conference game all year.

Wyking Jones fired from Cal, after only 2 (albeit really bad) years.

Ron Hunter of Georgia State took the Tulane job this morning.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The inevitable. Will they be announcing Freddy tonight? That should be enough time for mourning and transition.

I don't think Holberg takes the job in Lincoln. Playing them for more money elsewhere.

We better lock up any Grad transfers before Fred gets them on the phone.

We better lock up any Grad transfers before Fred gets them on the phone.

Indeed! According to Verbal Commits, Nebraska has two openings. If Isaiah Roby goes pro, that will be 3. Fred probably will recruit 2 grad transfers and another sit-out transfer if the third opening happens. But, I like that recruiting strategy; it's the old George Allen (former football coach of the Rams and Redskins) philosophy: "THE FUTURE IS NOW!"

A program that figured their new $25M basketball facility would help turn them around.

Well, if it's new, that means there's still plenty of years for it to pay off. I wouldn't count them out yet.

Glad Bill Moos is a huge idiot. Glad to to get a quality coach out of the conference. Before Built even responds to this comment.... I don't give a F what his record was in Lincoln, he is a good coach and Nebraska is replacing him with a coach who will likely leave after a couple of succesful seasons because he doesn't care for recruiting.

Top Bottom