With non-conference over, the Gophers basketball team is...?

• Better than I expected they'd be.

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • About what I expected they'd be.

Votes: 48 61.5%
  • Worse than I expected they'd be.

Votes: 26 33.3%

• Total voters

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

...an enigma.
They have the talent, but they make far too many mistakes. The good Gopher team is good enough to play in the dance. The team that turns over the ball and bricks 3s won't even get to the NIT.
I have no idea which team is going to show up on any given night. I'm gonna need me a box of TUMS.

One of the worst shooting teams in the country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is still 11 and 2

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Probably an NIT team unless we figure out how to win true road games.

The record is about where I thought it would be but how they’ve played overall is worse than I thought.

The record is about where I thought it would be but how they’ve played overall is worse than I thought.

This. The overall record may actually be better than we could have expected, but they still haven't won a single game cleanly, yet, and would-be blowout games against lowly opponents have been far too close even deep into the second half. The team doesn't shoot well, turns the ball over too much, and the guards don't play very good defense; and this is a consistent theme. They also don't seem to play very hard to open games. On top of that, the only true with-ball offensive playmaker on the team (IW) seems to consistently occupy some doghouse for which many fans appear baffled. The only area in which the Gophers seem to excel is rebounding. They will offensive rebound their way to some W's, but that alone will not make up for the many deficiencies elsewhere.

The record is solid, but by this point in the season we have not seen progress in any of the areas of deficiencies that might make any but the biggest diehard fans believe that this team can compete at the upper end of the B1G. The early season play and general "effort" out of the backcourt players translates to a sub-.500 B1G record.

I really hope the team shows me that I'm wrong, here.

Kind of how I feel, so I voted about where I expected. At the end of the day, the record matters more than how pretty I feel like our wins are.

When Gabe turns it back on we are a very good team. We need him on a hot 3 point streak the rest of the way. I thought we were better than I expected until Gabe hit the cold streak.

playing with fire. The Gophers have done just enough to get to 11-2 but the unexpectedly poor shooting and sloppy turnovers have me concerned about our prospects for the B1G. I also though IW was going to take a step forward this year, but its been uneven, obviously.

“With non-conference over, the Gophers basketball team is...” about the 60th best team. Painful to watch for those of us hoping for better. That said, nothing shooting 40% on threes can’t fix

A really bad three-point shooting team, but pretty good otherwise. Too bad that one aspect of our game will probably hold us back from a very good season. From here on, Coach should show them film from the Nebraska game over and over, as it is the template for any hope for success. #1 option is get the ball inside to Murphy, Oturu and Curry. #2 option is McBrayer, Washington and Coffey drive to the hoop. There is no good #3. Contrary to common wisdom nowadays, they should take very few three-point, or obviously long 2-point shots. 20% will not get it done, and that seems to be our normal game % shooting that shot now.

The Gopher team can make the tournament if Curry can contribute at a high level. I think they are too weak inside now, lack defensive chops, and consistent offense.

Lucky to win 7 games in Big Ten play.

Need Washington to improve and start at PG. Need Coffey to play to his potential and need Gabe to hit some big shots off the bench.

High ceiling with Coffey, Washington and Murphy, but chances are they'll end up being average to mediocre in conference play. It's Minnesota sports after all. :/

Terrible shooting this season...well below expectations

This. The overall record may actually be better than we could have expected, but they still haven't won a single game cleanly, yet, and would-be blowout games against lowly opponents have been far too close even deep into the second half. The team doesn't shoot well, turns the ball over too much, and the guards don't play very good defense; and this is a consistent theme. They also don't seem to play very hard to open games. On top of that, the only true with-ball offensive playmaker on the team (IW) seems to consistently occupy some doghouse for which many fans appear baffled. The only area in which the Gophers seem to excel is rebounding. They will offensive rebound their way to some W's, but that alone will not make up for the many deficiencies elsewhere.

The record is solid, but by this point in the season we have not seen progress in any of the areas of deficiencies that might make any but the biggest diehard fans believe that this team can compete at the upper end of the B1G. The early season play and general "effort" out of the backcourt players translates to a sub-.500 B1G record.

Well described. In addition to rebounding, though, they are doing very well at getting to the line (top five in the country) although they are less than stellar at converting them. If they can maintain the high free throw attempt rate, that will compensate partially for poor outside shooting.

I don't think you are wrong about anything here. I think that the hope is that they break out of their shooting funk and become at least an average shooting team. Seeing your shot fall in adds to intensity on the defensive end. When guys miss shot after shot their energy can drop and I think we have seen that. I don't think I have ever seen a team shoot the ball as badly as this team has over the last 6 games or so. 24/105 over that stretch from 3 point range (23%). They may not be a good shooting team but they are not that bad.

Washington is in the doghouse because he is a shoot first point guard too often. When he wants to, he has games where he passes....and he is an amazing no-look passer. When he shoots less and passes more, we do so much better. Until he is a consistent passer, Pitino is right to sit him on the bench. I am thinking our shooting will improve with McBrayer. The poor guy spent the season so far worrying about his mom and then grieving her passing. He did better yesterday but I can't imagine the level of stress that he as been under and with each passing day a slow healing will happen and he'll get his game back. My hope is that that will help him become the weapon we have seen in the past. As far as the expectations for the year....Oturo is way better than I expected him to be as a freshman and Gabe is a heckuva lot better than I thought. We just got Curry back and I remember loving him his freshman year. It's been frustrating to watch poor and lazy play and we are at a fork in the road. If Pitino can't get this team into the tourney and win a game or two...then he needs to go.

We rank 287th in division 1 out of 353 teams at 30% 3 pt %.
We were 191st last year 35%.
202 in 16-17 34%.
313th at 31% in 15-16.

Basically we haven't been a good 3pt shooting team in the recent history.

Stull is the only shooter hitting over 40%, he is 6 of 10.
Gabe was hot starting the year, I don't think he shot that consistently from 3 in high school. He is definitely cold but he should get out of this streak and approach 40%, I would imagine.

Coffey dropping from 37% last year to 31% this year.
McBrayer 34% last year to 29% this year.
Hurt 42%, this year 10%.

Remember the schedule gets consistently harder. No physical reason Coffey, McBrayer, and Hurt cannot return to last years numbers. Also no reason to think our ceiling is anything but hoping to draw even with whomever we play. Time to recruit a few more shooters? Kerwin Walton?

Need Washington to improve and start at PG. Need Coffey to play to his potential and need Gabe to hit some big shots off the bench.

I would argue that they simply need Washington to start at PG and live with the results regardless of his improvement. Pulling Coffey out of position is not helping this team in any way. Yes, Gabe should be coming off the bench and Dupree needs to have a bigger impact. If this team limits TO's and hits some open shots they'll win games (clearly easier said than done at this point). I've been happy with their effort, rebounding, and activity on D, they've been deflecting and blocking shots regularly which is a good sign. Like most have mentioned, Gophers can beat just about anybody but will likely lose more B1G games than they will win without consistent offense.

I would argue that they simply need Washington to start at PG and live with the results regardless of his improvement. Pulling Coffey out of position is not helping this team in any way. Yes, Gabe should be coming off the bench and Dupree needs to have a bigger impact. If this team limits TO's and hits some open shots they'll win games (clearly easier said than done at this point). I've been happy with their effort, rebounding, and activity on D, they've been deflecting and blocking shots regularly which is a good sign. Like most have mentioned, Gophers can beat just about anybody but will likely lose more B1G games than they will win without consistent offense.
I'm not buying your argument. With Marcus Carr unavailable, Coffey is our best option to play point. Washington has better handles, but he has so many defensive weaknesses and offensive inconsistencies that Coffey becomes the better option. Washington is a helpful 6th man. Sure wish he could shoot.

From Seth Davis’s buy, sell or hold column. An optimistic take.

Minnesota (11-2, No. 61 KenPom)

Rating: Buy

This team is unranked and undervalued, but coaches around the Big Ten know how dangerous the Gophers can be. Conference play is usually an ugly, physical grind, and not many teams in the league are built for that better than this one. The Gophers have a stud rebounder and post scorer in 6-7 senior forward Jordan Murphy, and 6-10 freshman Daniel Oturu is starting to come on strong. The outside shooting tends to disappear for long stretches, but they compensate by ranking fifth in the country in offensive rebound percentage and offensive free throw rate. And junior Amir Coffey gives this team a different look as a 6-8 point guard.

I'm not buying your argument. With Marcus Carr unavailable, Coffey is our best option to play point. Washington has better handles, but he has so many defensive weaknesses and offensive inconsistencies that Coffey becomes the better option. Washington is a helpful 6th man. Sure wish he could shoot.

We have players who can finish well/or get to the foul line. We need Washington to play at least 30 min, because he pushes the pace and helps produce easy baskets, getting the ball to guys going to the rim. We are not good in the half court and need these easy buckets to win. Gabe can come off the bench without hurting his ego. Is capable of instant offense and good D.

As you point out, he needs to take care of the ball better and compete on defense, but is the real key to this team improving!

Oh and fellas, shoot the ball better!

This.

Have held serve, but not feeling real good about how they’ve looked overall.

Beat Wisconsin.

Agree.
With Curry maybe a few more defensive stops, maybe a couple more 3’s and perhaps we can feel almost good.
Beat Wisconsin.

Agree.
With Curry maybe a few more defensive stops, maybe a couple more 3’s and perhaps we can feel almost good.
Beat Wisconsin.

To date they’ve been underwhelming. A true barometer of how good this team is will depend on their play vs. Wisconsin. I’m sick of hearing everyone complain about how much better IW is than Davison, most believe Murphy is as good or better than Happ and that we have a team that should be able to beat and/or contend with the top teams in our conference.

Beat Wisconsin or at least take it down to the wire. If they lose by 15-20 points and commit another 15-20 turnovers I for one won’t be surprised. This team continues to play very undisciplined ball. Please prove me wrong.

-the antidote to poor shooting is IW + motion off the ball. IW needs to be playing 30+ minutes per game. He can get reliably get the ball into the hands of Murph/Oturu/Amir when they are 5 feet from the basket. Poor team shooting doesn't matter when you can do that 10+ times per game.

-Pitino needs to tell IW that it's his choice whether the team wins or loses. He can be the creative pass-first genius we are seeing more and more, and the Gophers will win. Or he can regress. His choice. My eyes show me a ton of progress. I think IW is one of two keys for the season.

-Curry looked pretty good last night, all things considered. Curry is key #2 to the whole season. Teams in the B1G are going to kamikaze their guards at Murph to get him in foul trouble. We need to counter with Curry playing the 4 at a high level. I get that it will take a few games, but we will need this to have a successful B1G campaign.

-Murph needs to keep doing what he's doing. Night in and night out. His consistency is admirable and astonishing. Two things: (i) do not get baited into taking threes - I know you can shoot a little but please don't do it; and (ii) limit your dribbling - do not dribble from the high post all the way into the paint. Your dribble is simply too slow and the ball will get stolen. One more thing. Keep passing when defenses double you up. Your passing really shows this year.

-Amir. Needs to be more aggressive. Super game all the way around, but needs to be more aggressive every night. Needs the same sort of consistency in aggression that Murph shows in rebounding.

-Pree. Focus on your defense. Your arms are so long you can steal entry passes every game. This is one of my favorite parts of your game. Deflect and steal everything. You are a great combination of fast and long. Use it to play defense.

-Oturu. Play defense. Be ready for passes from IW & Murph. Go the the rim strong.

-Gabe's shooting will come back around.

Top Bottom