2019 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

Nahh Dog I cant co-sign on that. They fired the coordinator after it became apparent (to them) that their $84 million QB can’t beat teams with winning records for Minnesota either (that was his MO in Washington.) It was priceless watching Cousin’s make a point to give Thielen route running advice in full view of the camera.

Zimmer firing his coordinator was pretty much the same......deflect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeFilippo still deserves some blame. Again, liking to pass is one thing but completely abandoning it even when you're having success on the ground is ridiculous. It was a one score game until about 11 minutes left in the 4th, yet we passed 44 times and ran just 13 even though Cook averaged over 9 yards a carry.

Spielman Im sure. But Freeman cost like 85k, not $85 million
Ding! Ding! Ding! Zimmer doesn't handle player personnel acquisition. The size of the price tag is a reflection of how bad failure could be. Spielman has continually brought in less than optimal skill position free agents. Why he is still here baffles.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I heard somewhere the Vikings didn't think he would fit our zone blocking scheme. Sounds like we have a bunch of guys who don't fit the scheme! lol

O'Neill did have a pretty good rookie season as well. I certainly think he has a bright future.

I heard somewhere the Vikings didn't think he would fit our zone blocking scheme. Sounds like we have a bunch of guys who don't fit the scheme! lol

Funny, I was just thinking last night about how Sean Payton makes the most of the talent on the team. Largely it's by not being stuck on schemes.

I didn't disagree with the move at the time but I'll just throw this out there one more time...

Daniel Carlson - K
Oakland Raiders; 10 games; 16-17 on FG attempts (Oakland franchise season record 94.1% on FG) and 18-18 on PAT.

And that's kicking at some sh*tty fields like Oakland, Arrowhead, Denver, Baltimore, Cincinnati; just ONE of his 10 games were indoors I believe. MAYBE dumping him was a tad premature, who knows...

I didn't disagree with the move at the time but I'll just throw this out there one more time...

Daniel Carlson - K
Oakland Raiders; 10 games; 16-17 on FG attempts (Oakland franchise season record 94.1% on FG) and 18-18 on PAT.

And that's kicking at some sh*tty fields like Oakland, Arrowhead, Denver, Baltimore, Cincinnati; just ONE of his 10 games were indoors I believe. MAYBE dumping him was a tad premature, who knows...

Dumping 5th-rd pick Carlson was extremely stupid, just like many of the other extremely stupid moves the Vikings have made over the past few years. Unbelievable ineptness in roster management.

Daniel Carlson - K

The Vikings pulled a Homer Simpson and played the Daniel Carlson situation to the maximum disadvantage. They held onto him just long enough to play a win into a tie, which turned out to be the/a difference in missing the playoffs. Then they cut him quickly before he could right the ship, which he obviously did. Meanwhile, his replacement hurt the Vikes' ability to win games after that by missing some kicks. Obviously the variable in all of this is the coaching he got in Oakland that he didn't get and wouldn't have gotten here - by the guy whose contract was just renewed.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Carlson in the hall of fame some day. If that happens, the Vikings will have made the questionable move to draft a kicker to start with and then compounded that action with a worse decision - to squander that pick out of their coach's fit of anger. Spielmann has quite the talent for hanging onto failed draft picks too long (Ponder, Treadwell) and ditching drafted players with potential too early.

Dumping 5th-rd pick Carlson was extremely stupid, just like many of the other extremely stupid moves the Vikings have made over the past few years. Unbelievable ineptness in roster management.

Using a 5th round pick on a kicker when you already had a perfectly good one was extremely stupid. Cutting him was not. He appeared to be nearly in tears by the time he kicked the 3rd FG in Green Bay. There's no way they could let him continue. His confidence was completely gone. Zimmer/Priefer do not know how to handle kickers. Forbath was apparently a pretty different dude and wasn't fazed by them.

The Vikings pulled a Homer Simpson and played the Daniel Carlson situation to the maximum disadvantage. They held onto him just long enough to play a win into a tie, which turned out to be the/a difference in missing the playoffs. Then they cut him quickly before he could right the ship, which he obviously did. Meanwhile, his replacement hurt the Vikes' ability to win games after that by missing some kicks. Obviously the variable in all of this is the coaching he got in Oakland that he didn't get and wouldn't have gotten here - by the guy whose contract was just renewed.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Carlson in the hall of fame some day. If that happens, the Vikings will have made the questionable move to draft a kicker to start with and then compounded that action with a worse decision - to squander that pick out of their coach's fit of anger. Spielmann has quite the talent for hanging onto failed draft picks too long (Ponder, Treadwell) and ditching drafted players with potential too early.

Not sure if serious.

Why not? He's got the leg, and now he's shown he can kick straight. No guarantees, of course, but plenty of potential.

See Walsh, Blair 2012.

Do you know how many kickers are in the HOF?

Three. Vinatieri will make four. No reason to believe he'll be the last.

Vinateri will for sure. So I'd put Carlson's current odds at between 1/500 and 1/1,000 based on history.

Vinateri will for sure. So I'd put Carlson's current odds at between 1/500 and 1/1,000 based on history.

I think those odds are low, but it sure wouldn't hurt him to find his way onto a contending team. As with any other position on the field, winning a championship is one of the most reliable predictors of hall-of-fame consideration.

I think those odds are low, but it sure wouldn't hurt him to find his way onto a contending team. As with any other position on the field, winning a championship is one of the most reliable predictors of hall-of-fame consideration.

Two of the three kickers currently in did not win a Super Bowl/NFL championship. Blanda won a few AFL titles when it was practically a minor league.

Two of the three kickers currently in did not win a Super Bowl/NFL championship. Blanda won a few AFL titles when it was practically a minor league.

Good point. The thing I wonder, though, is whether Vinatieri and his 85% make rate would be such a shoe-in if it weren't for his championship pedigree.

Good point. The thing I wonder, though, is whether Vinatieri and his 85% make rate would be such a shoe-in if it weren't for his championship pedigree.

Best clutch kicker to ever play, not even close. I've argued before that he was a LARGE factor in propelling Brady and the Pats to a few of those earlier SB's. He's an incredible talent. I'm only a tiny, TINY bit biased because we have a mutual friend and I have some signed stuff but what the guy has done in his career is phenomenal

George Blanda was also a quarterback, so that might have helped his odds.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

DeFilippo still deserves some blame. Again, liking to pass is one thing but completely abandoning it even when you're having success on the ground is ridiculous. It was a one score game until about 11 minutes left in the 4th, yet we passed 44 times and ran just 13 even though Cook averaged over 9 yards a carry.

Good point.

I agree, our scheme calls for missed blocks and penalties.[emoji41]

Top Bottom