2019 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

100%. Keenum's arm is weak, so he doesn't give you much downfield threat, but he's mobile & does a nice job running the offense. I can see wanting someone with a big arm who can take us to the next level, but what's the point if the OL sucks?

Correct, this Viking team needs a mobile QB. This team is better with Case. Shore up the line and Cousins is the better QB for THAT team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was listening to KFAN the other morning & Corey Cove (who is like nails on a chalkboard to me) was droning on in his arrogant way, about how good Cousins is, how great his stats are, how people just don't get it, etc.

I thought to myself, "This is why people over 30 y/o don't believe in analytics alone", because they don't tell the whole story. No, Cousins wasn't horrible, buy Cove referring to this as "One of the five best seasons a Vikings QB has ever had" made me shake my head in disbelief.

Once Dubay and Morris left they have no knowledgeable sports guys on air.

Once Dubay and Morris left they have no knowledgeable sports guys on air.

And yet they too, troll in GH.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Correct, this Viking team needs a mobile QB. This team is better with Case. Shore up the line and Cousins is the better QB for THAT team.

I would say that any team would do well to have a mobile quarterback. There was a point in the Vikings/Bears game where it became obvious that Trubisky could run for a first down pretty much anytime he wanted to. At least a couple of those back-breaking 3rd down conversions were that.

Jim Bob Cooter and the Lions part ways. Both he and DeFilippo were well thought of and pursued in the off season. Amazing the difference several months makes. You start to wonder how these guys can do admirable work in one situation and go down with a thud at their next stop. I think it reflects on the head coach and organization, at least to some extent.

Jim Bob Cooter and the Lions part ways. Both he and DeFilippo were well thought of and pursued in the off season. Amazing the difference several months makes. You start to wonder how these guys can do admirable work in one situation and go down with a thud at their next stop. I think it reflects on the head coach and organization, at least to some extent.

It’s easier for the Head Coach to offer up the new guy as the sacrificial lamb. Look at what happened to Wilks in Arizona. The GM (Steve Kiem) committed $20 million to Bradford, the GM hired the head coach, the GM was the one who got the DWI.....but it’s only the head Coach who gets fired?

I would say that any team would do well to have a mobile quarterback. There was a point in the Vikings/Bears game where it became obvious that Trubisky could run for a first down pretty much anytime he wanted to. At least a couple of those back-breaking 3rd down conversions were that.

Zimmer is too busy micro managing. Hire good people and judge them on results not the process. He needs to leave his o-coord alone and focus on the defense that he is responsible for. That’s where all the talent and money is, he should be held accountable.

It’s easier for the Head Coach to offer up the new guy as the sacrificial lamb. Look at what happened to Wilks in Arizona. The GM (Steve Kiem) committed $20 million to Bradford, the GM hired the head coach, the GM was the one who got the DWI.....but it’s only the head Coach who gets fired?

I’m a Cardinals season ticket holder so I’ve been following this situation. Most people wanted Wilks and Keim both gone. Keim is still bathing in the glory of some really good seasons with Carson Palmer. I’m on the fence with him at this point; never thought they should have let the Honey Badger leave and go to Houston, or Calais Campbell leave for that matter. They gambled on a first rounder a few years ago on a guy with some off-field stuff (Nkemdiche on the Def line) who hasn’t panned out. This offseason will be HUGE for Keim. If they don’t nail the draft and make some good FA moves, Keim will be out.

Wilks just never seemed to command the respect he should have. I was excited about the hire, thought he was just what they needed but he’s the least charismatic person I’ve ever seen as a HC and he just looked lost too much of the time. Hiring McCoy as his OC was a major mistake. They dumped him about halfway through the season in favor of Byron Leftwich, and I thougth Leftwich was a reallly good OC, really coming into his own. He’ll be a good one, either in AZ or somewhere else.

Lastly, Bradford wouldn’t have been such a bad signing if they had a decent OL but they started the year with a bad OL and finished the year with (I think I heard) 7 OL on the disabled list. That’s tough duty for anyone to overcome.

But they have the #1 overall pick!!! Bosa better be everything they think he is.

Zimmer is too busy micro managing. Hire good people and judge them on results not the process. He needs to leave his o-coord alone and focus on the defense that he is responsible for. That’s where all the talent and money is, he should be held accountable.

You think Zimmer messes with the Offense? Based on what?

I’m a Cardinals season ticket holder so I’ve been following this situation. Most people wanted Wilks and Keim both gone. Keim is still bathing in the glory of some really good seasons with Carson Palmer. I’m on the fence with him at this point; never thought they should have let the Honey Badger leave and go to Houston, or Calais Campbell leave for that matter. They gambled on a first rounder a few years ago on a guy with some off-field stuff (Nkemdiche on the Def line) who hasn’t panned out. This offseason will be HUGE for Keim. If they don’t nail the draft and make some good FA moves, Keim will be out.

Wilks just never seemed to command the respect he should have. I was excited about the hire, thought he was just what they needed but he’s the least charismatic person I’ve ever seen as a HC and he just looked lost too much of the time. Hiring McCoy as his OC was a major mistake. They dumped him about halfway through the season in favor of Byron Leftwich, and I thougth Leftwich was a reallly good OC, really coming into his own. He’ll be a good one, either in AZ or somewhere else.

Lastly, Bradford wouldn’t have been such a bad signing if they had a decent OL but they started the year with a bad OL and finished the year with (I think I heard) 7 OL on the disabled list. That’s tough duty for anyone to overcome.

But they have the #1 overall pick!!! Bosa better be everything they think he is.

Great info and points.[emoji1531]

You think Zimmer messes with the Offense? Based on what?

Norv Turner leaving mid-season, firing a coach who likes to pass for passing...midway in his first season...after dude moved his family.....after not improving the one thing that actually needed improving, the oline.

Souhan: Vikings didn't have much better option than signing Kirk Cousins

After the 2017 season, the Vikings ditched the quarterback who led them to a 13-victory season and a playoff win in favor of a much more expensive quarterback who would win only eight games and miss the playoffs.

So the Vikings blew it, right?

Well, yes. It’s Rick Spielman’s job to acquire good players and win games, and the 2018 season turned into a disaster relative to expectations. By the last game, the new quarterback, Kirk Cousins, was publicly demonstrating his predilection for blame-sharing, grandiosely teaching routes to his Pro Bowl receiver on the sideline.

Spielman, the Vikings’ general manager, signed Cousins to a three-year deal worth a guaranteed $84 million and can do little more than hope Cousins will miraculously improve as a leader and clutch performer over the next two seasons.

Blaming Spielman for the signing and Cousins for his play and behavior is easy at this point.

What’s difficult is figuring out what the Vikings should have done instead.

Spielman had these choices after last season ended:

A. Re-sign Case Keenum.

B. Sign Cousins.

C. Sign Teddy Bridgewater.

D. Sign Sam Bradford.

E. Acquire a quarterback who might perform similarly to Keenum but would not require the $36 million over two years Keenum received from Denver. The Browns got Tyrod Taylor for a third-round draft pick while he had one year remaining on his contract.

F. Draft a quarterback and hope he could develop quickly.

G. Sign Colin Kaepernick and accept the national attention that would arrive with him.

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-...r-option-than-signing-kirk-cousins/503775412/

Skol Vikes!!

Right now, they only way my interest can be raised is by one of the following:

1. Firing Rick Spielman
2. Firing Rick Spielman and Mike Zimmer
3. Trading Kirk Cousins

I could care less if they draft a plug-n-play OL because I don't trust their ability in the draft. The Vikings could end up with a p-n-p OL like Matt Kalil, someone the totally misused and mismanaged.

If Hue Jackson becomes our OC, then I will be sure that management from Spielman on up are just trying to ruin this franchise. The whole rigid stay within the closed circle is what has hampered this team since Spielman came to town.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Norv Turner leaving mid-season, firing a coach who likes to pass for passing...midway in his first season...after dude moved his family.....after not improving the one thing that actually needed improving, the oline.

Liking to pass is one thing, but not even giving the running game a chance in some games in another. You have to admit they were incredibly pass-happy in some games when they didn't need to be.

Zimmer

Blames a dead guy for the poor season. Zimmer is the weakest coach in the NFL. His boss Speilman is right behind him. Next year will be the end of this era.

Liking to pass is one thing, but not even giving the running game a chance in some games in another. You have to admit they were incredibly pass-happy in some games when they didn't need to be.

Nahh Dog I cant co-sign on that. They fired the coordinator after it became apparent (to them) that their $84 million QB can’t beat teams with winning records for Minnesota either (that was his MO in Washington.) It was priceless watching Cousin’s make a point to give Thielen route running advice in full view of the camera.

Zimmer firing his coordinator was pretty much the same......deflect.

STrib: Vikings apologists ignore the smell coming from their team

You knew this was coming. First, the Vikings would be grilled in proper fashion for last Sunday’s putrid home-field effort vs. the Chicago Bears by the local sports media and the legion of fans known as the Purple Faithful. That would last for a couple of days, and then here would come the excuses.

This decade has been so bad for the Twins, and history has been so bad for the Timberwolves, that they are not deemed worthy of excuses for their failures by either the media or the fans.

The Wild doesn’t even need excuses. Win, lose or get a free point, the locals still will arrive in two groups for the next game: Hunky and Dory.

The excuse-making for the Vikings, though: It’s ridiculous.

The team did have a sad and shocking event when offensive line coach Tony Sparano, 56, died from a heart issue right before the start of training camp. Terrible, yes, but I have to think that a football lifer such as Sparano himself would have scoffed at the idea the Vikings’ vomitous effort against Chicago could be linked to the death of an admired assistant coach 23 weeks earlier.

And Sparano’s death is the only excuse that comes with even a hint of credence.

Injuries? The Vikings’ toll was nothing out of the NFL norm. The Bears came to Minnesota with key injuries and, by halftime, no real incentive to win, and yet they intimidated Kirk Cousins and shoved the rest of Zim’s paper tigers all over Zygi Wilf’s gold mine.

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-apologists-ignore-the-smell-coming-from-their-team/503954652/

Skol Vikes!!

Nahh Dog I cant co-sign on that. They fired the coordinator after it became apparent (to them) that their $84 million QB can’t beat teams with winning records for Minnesota either (that was his MO in Washington.) It was priceless watching Cousin’s make a point to give Thielen route running advice in full view of the camera.

Zimmer firing his coordinator was pretty much the same......deflect.

I would like to know who was pushing for Cousins more, Zimmer or Spielman? Whoever it was should be fired immediately. If it was 50/50, fire them both.

The warning signs were there and very apparent.

I'll just leave this here.

<iframe width="1243" height="699" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LVPRUxtTgZE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I would like to know who was pushing for Cousins more, Zimmer or Spielman? Whoever it was should be fired immediately. If it was 50/50, fire them both.

The warning signs were there and very apparent.

I'll just leave this here.

<iframe width="1243" height="699" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LVPRUxtTgZE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Who brought us Josh Freeman?

Tony Sparano was the oline coach for 3 years. They were terrible in all 3, blaming his death is looking for a scapegoat. Case's mobility hid some of their horrendous weaknesses. This was no secret in the national media or pro football focus. Many people had us out of the playoffs based on the offensive line before the season started. Sounds like they were right on and our management had blinders on again. Lets draft another backup defensive player in the first sounds perfect!

Tony Sparano was the oline coach for 3 years. They were terrible in all 3, blaming his death is looking for a scapegoat. Case's mobility hid some of their horrendous weaknesses. This was no secret in the national media or pro football focus. Many people had us out of the playoffs based on the offensive line before the season started. Sounds like they were right on and our management had blinders on again. Lets draft another backup defensive player in the first sounds perfect!

spot on post

That said, his interim replacement might still have been a downgrade.

Top Bottom