Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Default 2019 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by dpodoll68 View Post
    There are about 6-7 OTs (at least) who could go beginning at the midpoint of the first round through the second round. If Spielman reaches for a mediocre LB when all of those are available, he should be fired on the spot.
    Your are being far to kind; if Spielman utters any players name as a first or second round pick who is NOT an o-lineman he should be immediately flogged and quartered and I donít even know what that is!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Sportsfan24; 02-06-2019 at 07:25 PM.

Sid: Vikings quarterback Kirk Cousins 'frustrated' by first-year results

Dan Patrick had Vikings quarterback Kirk Cousins on his radio show during Super Bowl weekend, and he asked Cousins if he viewed his first season in Minnesota as a success.

“The short answer is no,” Cousins said. “We didn’t make the playoffs. There were high expectations and we didn’t deliver, and so I’ve been frustrated since the season ended.”

Cousins finished 10th in the league in passing yards (4,298) and quarterback rating (99.7), but he said this offseason has been hard on him.

“I wish the 2019 season started tomorrow,” he told Patrick. “I’m ready to go and make amends for 2018. It’s been frustrating to know I have to sit here for whatever it is, seven or eight months before we get back at it.

“It has been a tough January for me. I haven’t been sleeping well, that kind of a thing, because, yeah, it just left a bad taste in my mouth the way the season finished up.”

Cousins will be the third-highest-paid quarterback in the NFL next season at $29 million, trailing only the Saints’ Drew Brees ($33.5 million) and the Lions’ Matthew Stafford at ($29.5 million).

The Vikings’ big question will be if they can build around Cousins with only $5.7 million in salary cap space and some key free agents — namely, defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson, linebacker Anthony Barr and running back Latavius Murray — yet unsigned.

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-q...lts/505539802/

Skol Vikes!!

per Shooter:

It looks like Spielman and coach Mike Zimmer will enter next season on the last years of their contracts. If the Vikings don’t make the playoffs, major changes are expected.

To afford free agent help, the Vikings will have to either cut players or restructure contracts, or both. Those affected probably will be Everson Griffen, Kyle Rudolph, Mike Remmers, Latavius Murray and Andrew Sendejo.

If Murray leaves, a replacement would be necessary, because Dalvin Cook can’t be counted on to be healthy.

It looks like free agent linebacker Anthony Barr could end up with the New York Jets or Indianapolis Colts, teams with abundant salary cap room. If Barr were returning to the Vikings, a deal would already have been done at this juncture.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/02/0...-mauer-salute/

Skol Vikes!!

Quote Originally Posted by BleedGopher View Post
    per Shooter:

It looks like Spielman and coach Mike Zimmer will enter next season on the last years of their contracts. If the Vikings donít make the playoffs, major changes are expected.

To afford free agent help, the Vikings will have to either cut players or restructure contracts, or both. Those affected probably will be Everson Griffen, Kyle Rudolph, Mike Remmers, Latavius Murray and Andrew Sendejo.

If Murray leaves, a replacement would be necessary, because Dalvin Cook canít be counted on to be healthy.

It looks like free agent linebacker Anthony Barr could end up with the New York Jets or Indianapolis Colts, teams with abundant salary cap room. If Barr were returning to the Vikings, a deal would already have been done at this juncture.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/02/0...-mauer-salute/

Skol Vikes!!
    Sendejo is garbage, addition by subtraction. Griffin is mentally unstable..bye, bye. Barr is good but not irreplaceable, bye, bye. Murry is a definite must sign if the money is right. Resign Remmers and Kyle if the money is right.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsfan24 View Post
    Sendejo is garbage, addition by subtraction. Griffin is mentally unstable..bye, bye. Barr is good but not irreplaceable, bye, bye. Murry is a definite must sign if the money is right. Resign Remmers and Kyle if the money is right.

I'd tell Rudolph to kick rocks. He is very overrated. I'd ship off Remmers if I knew I could sign a better guard. I would shake Murray's hand and tell him that I'd be a reference for any team. Sendejo is garbage. Barr is definitely replaceable.

Griffin is the only player of those named who I would consider keeping.

STrib: No signs that Anthony Barr is close to signing with Vikings

Anthony Barr and the Vikings are approaching a forgettable anniversary.

The veteran linebacker first realized last spring he wasn’t getting a contract extension and sat out a week of voluntary OTAs while buying an insurance policy on himself. In a December sit-down with the Star Tribune, Barr said he personally got involved in contract negotiations, only to quickly eject.

The Vikings’ offers were “not really what I had expected,” Barr said.

The Vikings could take control of the contract of the four-time Pro Bowl player Tuesday, but it seems an unlikely action given the cost, the team’s salary cap situation and the front office’s history with the franchise tag. A two-week window has opened for teams to use the one-year franchise or transition tags, which the Vikings last placed on linebacker Chad Greenway in 2011 before agreeing to a long-term deal before the start of that season.

The deadline is 3 p.m. on March 5 to apply the tag.

http://www.startribune.com/no-signs-...ngs/506021112/

Skol Vikes!!

per RandBall:

Vikings

The answers we seek: Can the Vikings thread the needle by maintaining their defensive core and upgrading the offensive line in free agency and the draft?

Clarity will arrive: In the next two months. Free agency starts in mid-March with the Vikings having plenty of pressing needs and not a ton of cash. The evaluation will spill into late April with the draft. If Rick Spielman can make Mike Zimmer and all his new offensive assistants happy, he will have achieved a feat.

http://www.startribune.com/were-abou...ngs/506114682/

Skol Vikes!!

Scoggins: Vikings' offensive coaching mix of Gary Kubiak-Kevin Stefanski works, but it's only February

The Vikings introduced their new offensive coaching staff Thursday and the only thing missing was a group hug.

Everybody is getting along just fine.

Perfect. Now, fix the offensive line, solve Kirk Cousins’ anxiousness in the pocket, find a No. 3 receiver and win some games.

That’s the bottom line, whether Gary Kubiak is coming here to be an adviser, de facto coordinator or confidant to Mike Zimmer.

The pressure to win necessitates bold action, even if the move creates skepticism about motive or what might happen if things fall apart again in 2019.

Zimmer is entering the final year on his contract. He has a young offensive coordinator who has been responsible for constructing the game plan and calling plays for exactly three games.

Bringing in Kubiak as a security blanket makes sense. This is no time for egos getting in the way of potentially saving jobs.

“I like to be surrounded by smart people,” offensive coordinator Kevin Stefanski said.

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-o...ary/506193802/

Skol Vikes!!

per Shooter:

In slightly more than two weeks, Vikings fans should find out whether Everson Griffen, Sheldon Richardson, Anthony Barr, Mike Remmers and Andrew Sendejo will be returning or have contracts restructured.

Several players have bonuses due by mid-March if they’re still on the roster. March 13 is the trigger date for assorted NFL player contract deals as well as free agency and open trading.

It’s unlikely that Barr and Sendejo will return. It’ll be interesting whether Green Bay shows free-agent interest in Barr, who ended Packers QB Aaron Rodgers’ 2017 season with a controversial hit resulting in a broken collarbone. Regardless, Barr could be in for a $50 million, four-year contract that the Vikings currently cannot afford.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/02/2...ng-al-central/

Skol Vikes!!

per Shooter:

You have to wonder whether the Vikings have quietly extended the contracts of general manager Rick Spielman and head coach Mike Zimmer, both of whom were believed to have just next season on their deals. Otherwise, why would a package of seasoned assistants, including former Super Bowl championship coach Gary Kubiak, accept jobs with the Vikings with such tenuous security? Either they got more than one-year deals or salaries that were worth the gamble.

It appears Vikings offensive coordinator Kevin Stefanski, 36, with Kubiak as a major resource, is being groomed for the head coaching job.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/02/2...ng-al-central/

Skol Vikes!!

CBS Sports Mock Draft:

18. VIKINGS

T.J. Hockenson, TE, Iowa
    Yes, the Vikings desperately need to upgrade the offensive line but what about giving Kirk Cousins one of the best players in the draft? Hockenson is an inline tight end who can block, and he's a mismatch against linebackers, most safeties, and a lot of cornerbacks too. Kyle Rudolph has one year left on his current deal and Hockenson, who has drawn comparisons to Travis Kelce, would give this offense one more weapon.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...wayne-haskins/

Skol Vikes!!

CBS Sports Mock Draft:

18. VIKINGS

T.J. Hockenson, TE, Iowa
    Yes, the Vikings desperately need to upgrade the offensive line but what about giving Kirk Cousins one of the best players in the draft? Hockenson is an inline tight end who can block, and he's a mismatch against linebackers, most safeties, and a lot of cornerbacks too. Kyle Rudolph has one year left on his current deal and Hockenson, who has drawn comparisons to Travis Kelce, would give this offense one more weapon.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...wayne-haskins/

Skol Vikes!!
    I'll be a one man riot if they did this.

STrib: Vikings pick up coach Mike Zimmer's option for 2020 season

The Vikings have exercised an option in Mike Zimmer's deal that keeps the coach under contract through the 2020 season, General Manager Rick Spielman said at the NFL combine on Wednesday morning.

Zimmer's contract had been set to expire after the 2019 season. Asked in January if he would be comfortable coaching into the final year of his deal, The 62-year-old coach said, "Sure, I got no problem with that. Free agent after that, right?"

Instead, the Vikings' move grants the coach some measure of security as he heads into his sixth season, with his fourth offensive coordinator (Kevin Stefanski) and a revamped offensive staff designed to provide the Vikings with the continuity they've lacked on offense in the past.

"Don't think, from our ownership through our entire organization, that we don't believe in Coach Zimmer, and that he is the right head coach for us going forward," Spielman said.

Spielman would not address his contract status, saying, "I'm never going to talk about my situation." Multiple sources have told the Star Tribune that Spielman's deal, like Zimmer's, was set to expire after the 2019 season.

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-p...son/506438842/

Skol Vikes!!

STrib: Vikings pick up coach Mike Zimmer's option for 2020 season

The Vikings have exercised an option in Mike Zimmer's deal that keeps the coach under contract through the 2020 season, General Manager Rick Spielman said at the NFL combine on Wednesday morning.

Zimmer's contract had been set to expire after the 2019 season. Asked in January if he would be comfortable coaching into the final year of his deal, The 62-year-old coach said, "Sure, I got no problem with that. Free agent after that, right?"

Instead, the Vikings' move grants the coach some measure of security as he heads into his sixth season, with his fourth offensive coordinator (Kevin Stefanski) and a revamped offensive staff designed to provide the Vikings with the continuity they've lacked on offense in the past.

"Don't think, from our ownership through our entire organization, that we don't believe in Coach Zimmer, and that he is the right head coach for us going forward," Spielman said.

Spielman would not address his contract status, saying, "I'm never going to talk about my situation." Multiple sources have told the Star Tribune that Spielman's deal, like Zimmer's, was set to expire after the 2019 season.

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-p...son/506438842/

Skol Vikes!!
    Zimmer, I'm happy about this.

Spielman I'm hit or miss. However, if he doesnt add 2 quality (at a mininum) pieces to the OL, he deserves to be fired