2019 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

He was supposed to be top 10 pick. Im willing to take a chance on a top 10 pick in the second round. I wouldnt trade up for him though, so he would have to fall

I would. The cost of moving up in the 2nd round isn't as great. And getting two 1st round talents on the OL would be huge.

We still need to dump cap space some how so maybe trading a current player to get the pick?

We still need to dump cap space some how so maybe trading a current player to get the pick?

I'd have traded Xavier Rhodes for a 1st. But not sure what works now. Maybe a 2nd and 3rd?

I'd have traded Xavier Rhodes for a 1st. But not sure what works now. Maybe a 2nd and 3rd?

Spielman did say he wanted to get to 10 picks so we need a couple more. Rhodes could go, Rudolph could go, I could see a few others going for 2nd or 3rd round picks.

Spielman did say he wanted to get to 10 picks so we need a couple more. Rhodes could go, Rudolph could go, I could see a few others going for 2nd or 3rd round picks.

Rudolph won't net much. He's not really worth his contract.

Unfortunately I agree... was kind of hoping they could unload him though ;)

I don't really get why they didn't re-negotiate or cut him yet. He basically admitted he expected them to re-negotiate. Maybe if they draft a TE they will just release him.

All the good O-lineman are gone. Should have traded up...

I think there are a couple good guards left but not any more tackles. Oh well guess zim will get his defensive pick.

Took the TE. A good pick, but now Rudolph is probably gone.

I can't wait until the Vikings draft another kicker. *ducks* [emoji1782]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

You think they just straight cut him at this point?

I like the TE pick.

His cap # is $7.6 million. They can cut him with no cap hit. Unless he is willing to lower it to like $4 million or less, they probably just cut him.

His cap # is $7.6 million. They can cut him with no cap hit. Unless he is willing to lower it to like $4 million or less, they probably just cut him.

I wonder what the open market for him would be. I'm assuming he could get picked up but definitely not anywhere near what he's getting paid now. I think he would be motivated to take less to stay here.

What did we get in return for the pick that we sent to the Lions?

What did we get in return for the pick that we sent to the Lions?

Through all the dealing the Vikes seem to have picked up a 5th, 2 6ths, and a 7th for moving back 21 spots in the 3rd. If you go by the trade charts, it's a coup for Spielman.

The Vikings have traded back 4 times in the 3rd round. Rick Spielman is having a few adult beverages.

Through all the dealing the Vikes seem to have picked up a 5th, 2 6ths, and a 7th for moving back 21 spots in the 3rd. If you go by the trade charts, it's a coup for Spielman.
What is he cutting off and what is he spiting?

Having 10 draft picks doesn't help if you have to cut 4 of them because you don't have a roster spot.

Having 10 draft picks doesn't help if you have to cut 4 of them because you don't have a roster spot.

Maybe they can draft 10 OLmen in the late rounds and pray that 4 of them are good enough to be better than the garbage they've had the past few seasons.

They can use some to trade up now too. There are still a lot of good players available.

That, and I'm assuming cap space is a factor as well.

Found this little tidbit from an article from 2013.

The fact that only the minimum active list salary counts against a team’s salary cap space upon drafting a rookie is notable. There are a handful of teams that have very limited salary cap space presently available. Thus, if these teams had to add in bonuses they plan on paying rookies at this point, they would be over the salary cap. Furthermore, it is also of note that only the salaries of a team’s top-51 paid players count against the team’s salary cap during the off-season. Thus, teams have a fair amount of time to cut players, renegotiate contracts or make trades to get under the salary cap before all players’ salaries count against the cap when the NFL season begins. It is for this reason that although drafted by a team, most rookies do not sign contracts until later in the summer or after training camp.

https://rulingsports.com/2013/04/25/how-nfl-draft-picks-affect-an-nfl-teams-salary-cap/

There is some buzz on Twitter that the Vikings may - or may not - be entertaining trade offers from other teams for various players including Xavier Rhodes, Trey Waynes and Kyle Rudolph. some of this could be cap-related. Some have speculated that the Vikes have to move a veteran contract or they won't have enough cap room to sign their draft picks.

Obviously, we don't know how it's going to turn out. The Vikes could trade back up and get a valuable player.

But, given the choice, I would rather have picks in the first 3 rounds. Anyone you're going to draft in the 7th round is generally no better than a player you sign as an un-drafted college free agent.

There is some buzz on Twitter that the Vikings may - or may not - be entertaining trade offers from other teams for various players including Xavier Rhodes, Trey Waynes and Kyle Rudolph. some of this could be cap-related. Some have speculated that the Vikes have to move a veteran contract or they won't have enough cap room to sign their draft picks.

Obviously, we don't know how it's going to turn out. The Vikes could trade back up and get a valuable player.

But, given the choice, I would rather have picks in the first 3 rounds. Anyone you're going to draft in the 7th round is generally no better than a player you sign as an un-drafted college free agent.

I can't imagine anyone wanted to give up anything in a trade AND take on Rudolph's $7.6 million contract? I think it's more likely we'll cut him & use that cap space to sign a veteran OT, who gets cut by some other team in training camp.

per Sid:

Cousins met expectations

When it comes to Kirk Cousins, his numbers indicated that he lived up to every dollar of his record-setting contract, even as the quarterback took a fair share of criticism in his first year.

He finished 10th in the NFL in passer rating at 99.7, the fourth-highest ranking in Vikings history. His 70.1 completion percentage ranked second behind only Drew Brees of the Saints. And his 4,298 passing yards were the second-highest in Vikings history.

But Cousins was knocked a lot for his play under pressure, as the Vikings quarterback ranked second in the league in total pressures behind an offensive line that struggled.

Toward the end of the season, though, Cousins didn’t look the same as he did at the start, and he really had a hard time getting the ball to star receivers Adam Thielen and Stephon Diggs.

In his 11 games, Cousins averaged 299 passing yards per game, but over the final five games he averaged only 201.8 passing yards per game.

The biggest change was in Thielen, who was setting all kinds of all-time NFL records after averaging 103.5 receiving yards per game through Week 11 but averaged just 47 yards per game the rest of the way.

Diggs had a similar drop, going from 79 yards per game in his first 10 games to 46.2 yards per game in his final six.

And some of those issues are no doubt the biggest reason why the offensive coaching staff was overhauled before the draft.

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-...inale-proved-to-be-a-turning-point/509170382/

Skol Vikes!!

Charley Walters: Kyle Rudolph’s days with Vikings clearly numbered

After drafting tight end Irv Smith Jr. with their second-round pick in this weekend’s NFL draft, there is no way the Minnesota Vikings are going to pay Kyle Rudolph the $7.63 million he is scheduled to make this season.

If the Vikings can’t trade Rudolph — rumors of a deal with New England persist — the cash-strapped Vikings might even have to release the popular 29-year-old tight end. Not one penny of Rudolph’s salary is guaranteed.

One option would seem to be Rudolph taking a drastic pay cut, but at this juncture that seems unlikely.The Patriots have been looking for a tight end to replace retired future hall of famer Rob Gronkowski. If he has to leave Minnesota, moving Rudolph to New England to play with another future hall of famer, quarterback Tom Brady, should thrill Rudolph.

By drafting Smith, 20, and parting with Rudolph, the Vikings would get younger and cheaper.

Another way the Vikings could gain cash would be to trade cornerback Trae Waynes, who turns 27 in July and is due $9 million this season and, significantly, can become an unrestricted free agent after the season. The Houston Texans are seeking a veteran cornerback.

One NFL player agent with extensive football background but without any Vikings as clients said 6-foot-3, 300-pound center Garrett Bradbury might have been the best pick of the 32 players taken in the first round of the draft.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/04/27/charley-walters-kyle-rudolph-days-with-vikings-numbered/

Skol Vikes!!

Rudolph is a great guy, team leader, and very good player, but the Vikings need to get younger and cut salary. What's Maxx Williams' status?

Rudolph is a great guy, team leader, and very good player, but the Vikings need to get younger and cut salary. What's Maxx Williams' status?

He hasn't done much in Baltimore.

Top Bottom