2019 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Well, technically the off-season started in 2018, but 2019 will do.

This could be a rough off-season with a lot of negativity from media and fans alike targeted towards front office, HC and QB.

Skol Vikes!!

The Panther suck too. Luckily I have a Gopher team on the rise. Who needs the NFL?

If we still have Spielman, this team will go 5-11.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I can’t be the only one to think this is not the end of the world?

Unlike some teams in certain years where it’s now-or-never, make or break year, I don’t think the Vikings’ only window was THIS year. The OL was a grease fire at the beginning of the year and it still is. It needs to be addressed, without question.

But most of the key players are inked to deals beyond this year and with a shrewd offseason, they’ll be in the running next year I would think.

Zimmer is widely regarded as one of the best HC in the league, he’s not the problem. He’s not perfect but moving on from Zimmer would be a terrible decision at this point. Re-evaluate Stefanski, for sure, maybe he’s the answer, maybe not.

They’re still not that far away. They had a brutal schedule this year, it wont’ be that bad next year. Other than road games against the Chargers and Chiefs, they have a manageable schedule.

All is not lost. This is far from a rebuild.

Time for Spielman to be fired. I'd be inclined to give Zimmer one more year, but if not, bring in Mike Shanahan to work with Cousins and hope the defense can remain solid for a couple more seasons. If it works, great. If it doesn't, blow it up when Cousins contract is up.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Skol Vikes!!

I can’t be the only one to think this is not the end of the world?

Unlike some teams in certain years where it’s now-or-never, make or break year, I don’t think the Vikings’ only window was THIS year. The OL was a grease fire at the beginning of the year and it still is. It needs to be addressed, without question.

But most of the key players are inked to deals beyond this year and with a shrewd offseason, they’ll be in the running next year I would think.

Zimmer is widely regarded as one of the best HC in the league, he’s not the problem. He’s not perfect but moving on from Zimmer would be a terrible decision at this point. Re-evaluate Stefanski, for sure, maybe he’s the answer, maybe not.

They’re still not that far away. They had a brutal schedule this year, it wont’ be that bad next year. Other than road games against the Chargers and Chiefs, they have a manageable schedule.

All is not lost. This is far from a rebuild.

Most people don't even remember it, but I think Tony Sparano passing away unexpectedly right as training camp was to open likely had a big impact not only on the O line, but for the rest of the team and the coaching staff as well. That being said, there still needs to be a big upgrade in talent at the O line positions.

Souhan: Should Vikings owner Zygi Wilf fire Mike Zimmer and/or Rick Spielman?

The coach looked overmatched. The general manager’s offensive line fluttered like tattered flags in a strong wind. The expensive quarterback barked at the state’s most popular athlete. The owner left the locker room looking grim.

A season that began with Super Bowl expectations ended in vivid frustration on Sunday, when the Minnesota Vikings, needing the slimmest of victories to make the playoffs, instead produced the most timid of losses, one pointing blame directly at the team’s leadership troika.

The coach, Mike Zimmer, didn’t have his team ready to play, evidenced by the Vikings amassing two yards on their first four drives en route to a 24-10 loss.

The GM, Rick Spielman, knew he had to rebuild a faltering offensive line and failed.

The quarterback, Kirk Cousins, signed one of the richest contracts in NFL history and adopted a 14-win team. By the end of the second quarter he was teaching Adam Thielen how to run routes.

The Vikings spent $84 million on a star quarterback and got a mediocre receivers coach.

Cousins is locked in for two more years. If Zygi Wilf wants to change his leadership formula, he’s going to have to fire his coach or general manager, or both.

That might sound drastic, considering the Vikings haven’t posted a losing record since 2014. Zimmer and Spielman know how to build a winning team. But ownership’s stated goal is a Super Bowl title, and Zimmer and Spielman have yet to prove they can build one that can win in January.

http://www.startribune.com/should-vikings-owner-zygi-wilf-fire-zimmer-and-or-spielman/503694482/

Skol Vikes!!

I’d love to defend the Vikings on the selection of Mike Hughes; let’s face it, it’s a passing league and you can never have enough good DBs, but...

A quick check of some depth charts shows that 3 OL picked in the next 10 picks after the Vikings picked Hughes are starting OL on teams around the league. That stings a little bit.

Hughes wasn’t a “bad” pick, but with the investment in Cousins, they needed to protect that investment.

STrib: Vikings' offensive line might undergo big changes

The Vikings’ priority this offseason came into focus as the offensive line was outmanned again by the Chicago Bears during Sunday’s season-ending 24-10 loss.

Quarterback Kirk Cousins’ season of duress ended by taking nine hits, including four sacks in critical moments. His response — “I don’t have 10 seconds” to throw — to a frustrated Adam Thielen, as seen on the FOX broadcast, said enough after a third-down incompletion late in the first half. Cousins appeared upset Thielen didn’t break on a corner route sooner, which the quarterback anticipated with a quick throw that fell to the turf.

“Just trying to say if you [double move on the route], I don’t have time to wait on that usually,” Cousins said. “And I don’t know you’re doing that.”

So went the final snaps of a disappointing season marred by lingering questions about the offensive line.

Can the Vikings get more out of left tackle Riley Reiff? Could promising rookie Brian O’Neill take Reiff’s job at left tackle? Will guards Tom Compton, Mike Remmers and Nick Easton be on the roster? Will there be a change at offensive line coach after Clancy Barone transitioned there this summer due to the passing of Tony Sparano?

The Vikings now looking up at the Bears, in part because defensive lineman Khalil Mack and Akiem Hicks thoroughly dominated the Vikings’ front in two meetings this season. Hicks led with six tackles for losses, including 2.5 sacks, in the two Bears wins.

Right guard Mike Remmers was no match for Hicks, who breezed past Remmers for a run stop on Dalvin Cook and a third-quarter sack on Cousins.

“I think that we have proved that we are the best team in the division,” Hicks said.

If the Vikings want change, the offensive line needs the front office’s primary focus.

Much of the room can be overhauled by management. Three linemen with starter experience — Compton, Easton and tackle Rashod Hill — are set to become free agents in March. Remmers has three seasons left on a five-year, $30 million deal signed in 2017, but the Vikings can move on at little cost since there is no guaranteed money left.

“I haven’t thought about that at all,” Remmers said. “I love it here. We’ll see what happens.”

Reiff, the group’s highest-paid lineman and team captain, had a down season ending with a fourth-quarter sack by Bears linebacker Isaiah Irving on Sunday. The Vikings might be stuck with Reiff, who turned 30 this month, for next season based on $6.6 million in dead cap space incurred if he’s cut.

The Vikings should keep all options open — including moving O’Neill to left tackle for Reiff — based on the offensive line’s porous play throughout the season.

“This group is not going to lay down and just accept that it happened,” O’Neill said. “It’s going to motivate us to work harder in the offseason to come back bigger, stronger and faster. That’s what I plan to do.”

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-offensive-line-might-undergo-big-changes/503694882/

Skol Vikes!!

The OLine was a huge problem this year. Didn’t it seem like the for many of the second half of the season games this year they the receivers were no longer getting open though? Today there were quite a few plays where Cousins had time, but maybe there are keeping too many guys in to block and therefore it’s easy to defend three recovers?
Or maybe they need another offensive weapon as well in addition to bolstering the OLine.

Most people don't even remember it, but I think Tony Sparano passing away unexpectedly right as training camp was to open likely had a big impact not only on the O line, but for the rest of the team and the coaching staff as well. That being said, there still needs to be a big upgrade in talent at the O line positions.

His impact is probably under-appreciated. But we've all known the O-Line would be a problem since the day after the draft when they failed to address it there or in FA.

I'll generally be the first to say that it's a team game, and the QB needs a decent line and running game to be successful. That said, the knock on Cousins coming in was his awful record against winning teams. I'd say that this contract is his last good chance to break from that past. Problem is, the first year of it has been more of the same. Although it's not unusual to have diminished performance against the better defenses, he looked downright feeble against the Seahawks and Bears, not to mention the Pats. Other, lesser quarterbacks have done better against those teams than Kirk.

I want to believe it's not primarily him and that it's a team failure, but that wouldn't be all that comforting. It means that the Viking are coming out tight or flat in the bigger games, which reflects on the whole operation.

The problem with this season began in the middle of last season when, after winning him 5 or so games in a row at QB, Zimmer apparently still couldn’t see straight and refused to put his full trust in Keenum. Then, after the NFC championship game, Mr Right pig-headedly stuck to his guns and lobbied not to keep the guy who saved the season, who helped galvanize the team, helped make superstars out of Thielen and Diggs - all the while, running for his life, half the time. Instead of spending money and picks on about 5 new offensive linemen, Zim convinces Spielman to blow his entire wad on a marginal upgrade at QB - and a guy that obviously doesn’t know how to beat decent teams. This guy can’t move like CK and the season is fumbled away by good defensive lines running over our below-average o-line.

Stupid decision. Started with Zimmer and Spielman was complicit.

Spielman has to go.
He's had his time.

The problem with this season began in the middle of last season when, after winning him 5 or so games in a row at QB, Zimmer apparently still couldn’t see straight and refused to put his full trust in Keenum. Then, after the NFC championship game, Mr Right pig-headedly stuck to his guns and lobbied not to keep the guy who saved the season, who helped galvanize the team, helped make superstars out of Thielen and Diggs - all the while, running for his life, half the time. Instead of spending money and picks on about 5 new offensive linemen, Zim convinces Spielman to blow his entire wad on a marginal upgrade at QB - and a guy that obviously doesn’t know how to beat decent teams. This guy can’t move like CK and the season is fumbled away by good defensive lines running over our below-average o-line.

This is a spot on post. About time you had one GJ (just kidding).

What I'll add is what I said as soon as they signed Cousins. You better add assets to the OL because Cousins is a statue and doesnt do well under pressure. What did they do? Picked a corner back in the first round, got damn lucky in the second round (O'Neil was projected to be raw), and signed zero impactful free agent OL.

I've read from so called experts multiple times that our OL was better last season. BS. Keenum was a magician last season at shedding defenders. He made that OL adequate. That is a fire-able offense for Spielman. And I love the irony that Zimmer wouldn't name Keenum the starter because he was afraid Keenum would start making horrible turnovers at some point; but that ended up being his $84 million man committing bunches of turnovers.

I don't know if Spielman is gun shy after missing on Kalil, but the way he has neglected the offensive line is a fireable offense.

The $60 million + left on KC's contract is a sunk cost now. Nothing you can do about it. But that doesn't mean that he has to be the starter. Draft a quarterback. Maybe Denver doesn't pick up Keenum's option and he's available. Maybe Teddy doesn't get the contract everyone thinks he will. Maybe they can pick up another decent FA or maybe give Sloter a shot.

Point is just because we are paying Cousins a lot of money doesnt mean we need to play him if he continues to suck.

Kirk Cousins did not have a great year, but he was still a top 10 QB statistically this year. Case Keenum went 6-10 and was 28th in QB rating. I'm with everyone that Kirk deserves a ton of criticism but let's not anoint Case as some great QB. This team's biggest issue was the O-line. Unless they get that fixed in the off season, we're going to be back in the same spot next year.

Kirk Cousins did not have a great year, but he was still a top 10 QB statistically this year. Case Keenum went 6-10 and was 28th in QB rating. I'm with everyone that Kirk deserves a ton of criticism but let's not anoint Case as some great QB. This team's biggest issue was the O-line. Unless they get that fixed in the off season, we're going to be back in the same spot next year.
This is why chasing stats is foolish. Anyone who has read "How To Lie With Statistics" knows this. I had to read it for my 3xxx level Statistics course back when I attended the U. Why sports makes stats an absolute measure is beyond me.

You misread my post. Case K or anyone else at his level + 5 upgrades (by position- not necessarily 5 new guys) on the o-line would have won 10+ games

Dr 4-25 won 8. Don’t you dare scream and yell at Thielen and Diggs on The Joe Buck Showcase Game when I’d rather watch Case K throw it up for grabs vs watching you fumble, miss open receivers, run about once a month and have the season batted away like one of your passes.

Cousins - and the line - are fine, good even, vs subpar competition. But without protection, he and the running game are good for about zero wins.

They should have signed Keenum or someone making his $ or less and spent the rest on the o-line. You and everyone else here knows it.

Last edited:

Quite a few of us were worried the vikings nearly ignored the offensive line in the draft for the bazillionth year in a row. A second round pick at OT, and a backup CB in the first round. Read pro football focus. They had this team nailed from the get go. Lots of talent everywhere, but front office ignored the offensive line and it was ranked like 28th in the league.

Pro football focus was also critical on the Cousins signing for many reasons stated above, but in addition they stated how Case's feet enabled our crappy line to look less bad then it was, with his ability to avoiding sacks.
When teams can get pressure without blitzing, the can basically double Diggs and Thielen.

+1. Case Keenum's stats this year basically matched his career stats excluding last year. He is who you thought he was. Even with an extra $10 million to spend, we would not have been significantly better off with Keenum. Certainly not a Super Bowl contender.

When do Spielman and Zimmer depart this team and will it be an involuntary or voluntary departure?

The continued notion that things would have been better "if they had just spent more of their money on the OL". Who are these players again? There are a lot of teams in the league woeful on the OL, not just the Vikings. Just because they could have had more money, doesn't mean it would have translated one iota into more OL talent. It COULD have, but OL talent is a very, very hot commodity right now. Those guys are not just walking around the street waiting to be signed.

Not sure it will get much better this offseason but they'll obviously make an effort. And they might have to significantly overpay to do it. And that's just fine.

The continued notion that things would have been better "if they had just spent more of their money on the OL". Who are these players again? There are a lot of teams in the league woeful on the OL, not just the Vikings. Just because they could have had more money, doesn't mean it would have translated one iota into more OL talent. It COULD have, but OL talent is a very, very hot commodity right now. Those guys are not just walking around the street waiting to be signed.

Not sure it will get much better this offseason but they'll obviously make an effort. And they might have to significantly overpay to do it. And that's just fine.
First round draft choice, 2nd round draft choice, two free agents. Increase the depth and 2 new starters. That is what needed to be done. I didn't say superstars. Upgrade. We needed incremental upgrade at all five positions - maybe 4, b/c I think we all assumed the Elf would be good. Maybe that meant moving one of them to a different position. Then 3 more guys.

Pick one
Pick two
Free agent

They skimped and paid for the marginal upgrade at QB who can't beat good teams and yells at the two best offensive players on national TV.

Quite a few of us were worried the vikings nearly ignored the offensive line in the draft for the bazillionth year in a row. A second round pick at OT, and a backup CB in the first round. Read pro football focus. They had this team nailed from the get go. Lots of talent everywhere, but front office ignored the offensive line and it was ranked like 28th in the league.

Pro football focus was also critical on the Cousins signing for many reasons stated above, but in addition they stated how Case's feet enabled our crappy line to look less bad then it was, with his ability to avoiding sacks.
When teams can get pressure without blitzing, the can basically double Diggs and Thielen.

Ding ding ding. Keenum looked bad with Denver this year because Denver has a terrible offense with basically no weapons. The Vikings have plenty of weapons on offense. And with our offensive line....Keenum is a far better fit. He's mobile enough to escape pressure and aggressive enough to attempt extra yards if we really need it. Plus his pocket awareness last year was incredible....like he had eyes in the back of his head. Cousins is a statue in the pocket. Pretty much runs directly backwards at any sign of pressure. Has horrible pocket awareness. When he does scramble he goes down if a defender gets within five yards of him.

But yes. Either way....the line needs to be addressed immediately. Zimmer (if he's still around next year) may have to let a defensive asset or two walk to free up some cap space and bring in some linemen. Because if we go into next year with a line that looks and plays like this, Zimmer will be gone after next year.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

STrib: Top 10 story lines to watch in Minnesota sports

4. What is the future direction of the Vikings?

This figures to be an interesting offseason for the Vikings, who face roster dilemmas created by hefty contracts and also need to make long-term decisions about coach Mike Zimmer and GM Rick Spielman. The smart guess is that the Vikings don’t make a lot of dramatic moves, but even so this could be a roster and team in transition.

http://www.startribune.com/page-2-biggest-2019-storylines-to-watch-in-minnesota-sports/503746212/

Skol Vikes!!

I was listening to KFAN the other morning & Corey Cove (who is like nails on a chalkboard to me) was droning on in his arrogant way, about how good Cousins is, how great his stats are, how people just don't get it, etc.

I thought to myself, "This is why people over 30 y/o don't believe in analytics alone", because they don't tell the whole story. No, Cousins wasn't horrible, buy Cove referring to this as "One of the five best seasons a Vikings QB has ever had" made me shake my head in disbelief.

Ding ding ding. Keenum looked bad with Denver this year because Denver has a terrible offense with basically no weapons. The Vikings have plenty of weapons on offense. And with our offensive line....Keenum is a far better fit. He's mobile enough to escape pressure and aggressive enough to attempt extra yards if we really need it. Plus his pocket awareness last year was incredible....like he had eyes in the back of his head. Cousins is a statue in the pocket. Pretty much runs directly backwards at any sign of pressure. Has horrible pocket awareness. When he does scramble he goes down if a defender gets within five yards of him.

But yes. Either way....the line needs to be addressed immediately. Zimmer (if he's still around next year) may have to let a defensive asset or two walk to free up some cap space and bring in some linemen. Because if we go into next year with a line that looks and plays like this, Zimmer will be gone after next year.

100%. Keenum's arm is weak, so he doesn't give you much downfield threat, but he's mobile & does a nice job running the offense. I can see wanting someone with a big arm who can take us to the next level, but what's the point if the OL sucks?

Nailed it![emoji1531][emoji1531][emoji1531]

The Vikes squandered a ton of money at QB and actually down graded the position. If the QB has absolutely pocket Cousins is the better QB because of arm strength. A bad line needs a mobile QB. Case extended plays because of mobility and made the defense pay every time they turned their back by running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom