2019 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

I read that article last week and I don't put a lot of stock into it; some, but not a lot. Judging from the results across the board, and from who was polled, I think it's safe to say that some biases came out in this polling on a number of the questions.

Biases? Such as?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that a lot of players think hes a tool and it affected their opinion.

Just a guess ;-)

I can’t stand New England but the poll lost all credibility for me when they said Tom Brady received votes for being overrated.[emoji15]

Biases? Such as?

I'm sure he was hinting at skin color but I'm sure how much he is getting paid also plays into it. But if it's based on pay, I would think Garoppolo would be more overrated. His average yearly salary is nearly the same yet he's never thrown for more than 1,600 yards in a season.

Apparently the Vikings are trying to bring in former Broncos/Texans HC Gary Kubiak for some type of "senior offensive" role. I'm not sure how that fits with Stefanski, but I like it. He was supposedly going to be Denver's OC and that fell apart. Probably for the best as it would be awkward for the new coach to have a beloved former coach as his assistant.

Apparently the Vikings are trying to bring in former Broncos/Texans HC Gary Kubiak for some type of "senior offensive" role. I'm not sure how that fits with Stefanski, but I like it. He was supposedly going to be Denver's OC and that fell apart. Probably for the best as it would be awkward for the new coach to have a beloved former coach as his assistant.

It's an interesting concept. We all laughed when Any Reid brought in Childress as "spread game analyst," but word has it that the innovations that have allowed Mahomes and the offense to thrive have a lot to do with the R&D work Chilly has done.

I'm sure he was hinting at skin color but I'm sure how much he is getting paid also plays into it. But if it's based on pay, I would think Garoppolo would be more overrated. His average yearly salary is nearly the same yet he's never thrown for more than 1,600 yards in a season.

Skin color? I’m giving him the opportunity to come up with something else.

It's an interesting concept. We all laughed when Any Reid brought in Childress as "spread game analyst," but word has it that the innovations that have allowed Mahomes and the offense to thrive have a lot to do with the R&D work Chilly has done.

I wouldn’t doubt it; Chilly can coach offense......he just can’t call the plays. 3 yard routes on 3 and 15 don’t work to well.

I like Kubiak. Cousins did well under the Shanahans' and Kubiak is the next best thing. But I'm not sure about letting him bring all of his assistants. Dennison as OL coach is especially worrying.

And I don't know how this can sit well with Stefanski. Hey thanks for coming back. Now meet the guy who will "oversee you." Also, he hired your QB coach, OL Coach and TE coach for you! I have to wonder if they don't part ways with Stefanski after all if nothing was signed yet.

Last edited:

I like Kubiak. Cousins did well under the Shanahans' and Kubiak is the next best thing. But I'm not sure about letting him bring all of his assistants. Dennison as OL coach is especially worrying.

And I don't know this can sit well with Stefanski. Hey thanks for coming back. Now meet the guy who will "oversee you." Also, he hired your QB coach, OL Coach and TE coach for you! I have to wonder if they don't know part ways with Stefanski after all if nothing was signed yet.

I wouldn't hitch my wagon to Kubiak. He's a flight risk the first chance he gets a shot at another head coaching gig.

I wouldn't hitch my wagon to Kubiak. He's a flight risk the first chance he gets a shot at another head coaching gig.

Nah. If that were the case, Elway would have gladly re-hired him as Broncos HC. His health won't allow it. I'm not sure he should really be OC either, which might be why he's an "advisor." But the set-up as they announced it seems ripe for conflict and another mid-season departure of someone.

Nah. If that were the case, Elway would have gladly re-hired him as Broncos HC. His health won't allow it. I'm not sure he should really be OC either, which might be why he's an "advisor." But the set-up as they announced it seems ripe for conflict and another mid-season departure of someone.

I agree. What a ridiculous hiring. If they feel that the new OC needs an "advisor" and his friends, I would say they hired the wrong OC. What a joke.

Skin color? I’m giving him the opportunity to come up with something else.

Nope. That’s pretty much exactly what I was saying. It’s fairly apparent with the results to several of the questions.

Cam Newton most underrated? There are 13 ACTIVE QBs with at least 50 career starts that have a better winning percentage than Cam Newton. There were 21 QBs that I could count that played meaningful snaps this year that have a higher career completion % than Cam.

Most overrated? You have to go down to 8th on the list to find an African American QB? Eli Manning, Flacco, Matt Ryan, Brady, even Stafford all voted more overrated than someone like Cam or Winston?

In fairness, a lot of the questions did not have much of a consensus, several where the top vote-getter got less than 20%. With a small sample size like 85 defensive players across 25 teams, the results really don’t show much of anything. Why no offensive players? I wonder how many people they reached out to; why only 85 total, what happened to the other 7 teams that had no voters, etc.

And I don't know this can sit well with Stefanski. Hey thanks for coming back. Now meet the guy who will "oversee you." Also, he hired your QB coach, OL Coach and TE coach for you! I have to wonder if they don't know part ways with Stefanski after all if nothing was signed yet.

Great points and it’s why I dislike Zimmer. Oh he’s good had holding others accountable.

I agree. What a ridiculous hiring. If they feel that the new OC needs an "advisor" and his friends, I would say they hired the wrong OC. What a joke.

Either hiring makes sense. Both? Not so much. Could be a timing thing. As of Friday afternoon, Kubiak being the Broncos OC was thought to be a done deal, so we re-hired Stefanski. But they've put that guy through it the last two seasons, can they really back out on him now?

Nope. That’s pretty much exactly what I was saying. It’s fairly apparent with the results to several of the questions.

Cam Newton most underrated? There are 13 ACTIVE QBs with at least 50 career starts that have a better winning percentage than Cam Newton. There were 21 QBs that I could count that played meaningful snaps this year that have a higher career completion % than Cam.

Most overrated? You have to go down to 8th on the list to find an African American QB? Eli Manning, Flacco, Matt Ryan, Brady, even Stafford all voted more overrated than someone like Cam or Winston?

In fairness, a lot of the questions did not have much of a consensus, several where the top vote-getter got less than 20%. With a small sample size like 85 defensive players across 25 teams, the results really don’t show much of anything. Why no offensive players? I wonder how many people they reached out to; why only 85 total, what happened to the other 7 teams that had no voters, etc.

How many of those QB’s with better winning % have taken their team to a SB? How man times have those QB’s led their team in passing and rushing.....essentially the teams offense?

I think your understanding of overrated is off. It’s easy to understand why Matt Ryan might be considered more overrated than Winston. Who in the hell THINKS Winston is a good NFL QB in the first place? It’s possible to be considered better and more overrated.

How many of those QB’s with better winning % have taken their team to a SB? How man times have those QB’s led their team in passing and rushing.....essentially the teams offense?

I think your understanding of overrated is off. It’s easy to understand why Matt Ryan might be considered more overrated than Winston. Who in the hell THINKS Winston is a good NFL QB in the first place? It’s possible to be considered better and more overrated.

Better winning % and gone to the SB? Well..... Brady, Big Ben, Russell Wilson, Rodgers, Nick Foles, Matt Ryan, Drew Brees... and those are just ACTIVE ones.

But your point about understanding of overrated is close to being right on the money; the voters clearly all had different definitions of some of these questions (not sure if you read the article but the author pretty much said exactly that). A perfect example was the question of who you would want to face in a big game; #1 was Brady (because THOSE voters wanted to beat the best) and #2 was Nathan Peterman (for obvious reasons).

Like I said, I thought it was a horrendously flawed poll. Another important factor was the timing of the poll; many of the votes were cast in November and there’s been a lot of water under the bridge since then. I would imagine Andrew Luck, D. Watson, and even Lamar Jackson would have been viewed much more favorably if the votes were cast now.

Lastly, the question about whether or not Kap should be on an NFL roster was just plain dumb. That horse has been beaten to death, what’s the point of putting it in this article now? Actually 2 questions about Kap, which was doubly stupid.

Spielman is going full-on CYA deflect responsibility mode. When this blows up at the end of 2019, I hope they stand up to him when he tries to throw them under the bus.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Better winning % and gone to the SB? Well..... Brady, Big Ben, Russell Wilson, Rodgers, Nick Foles, Matt Ryan, Drew Brees... and those are just ACTIVE ones.

But your point about understanding of overrated is close to being right on the money; the voters clearly all had different definitions of some of these questions (not sure if you read the article but the author pretty much said exactly that). A perfect example was the question of who you would want to face in a big game; #1 was Brady (because THOSE voters wanted to beat the best) and #2 was Nathan Peterman (for obvious reasons).

Like I said, I thought it was a horrendously flawed poll. Another important factor was the timing of the poll; many of the votes were cast in November and there’s been a lot of water under the bridge since then. I would imagine Andrew Luck, D. Watson, and even Lamar Jackson would have been viewed much more favorably if the votes were cast now.

Lastly, the question about whether or not Kap should be on an NFL roster was just plain dumb. That horse has been beaten to death, what’s the point of putting it in this article now? Actually 2 questions about Kap, which was doubly stupid.

Fair points. My rankings of the current QB’s are in these groups:

Brady

Rodgers (healthy Rodgers)
Brees (SB appearance would push him up)

Wilson
Rothlisberger
Newton (the gripe is he’s not talked about at this level)
Rivers (trending up)

Ryan (trending down)
Foles (larger sampling and he would move up)
Luck (trending up)

Cousins (paid like he’s up two levels)
Deshaun Watson (trending up)
Jared Goff (trending up)

Fair points. My rankings of the current QB’s are in these groups:

Brady

Wilson
Rothlisberger
Rivers (trending up)

Ryan (trending down)
Luck (trending up)

Jared Goff (trending up)

CAn't take the list seriously without Mahomes on it...

CAn't take the list seriously without Mahomes on it...

Agreed! I forgot him

My revised rankings of the current QB’s are in these groups:

Brady

Wilson
Rothlisberger
Rivers (trending up)

Ryan (trending down)
Luck (trending up)
Mahomes (trending up)

Jared Goff (trending up)

Agreed! I forgot him

Brady

Wilson
Rothlisberger
Rivers (trending up)

Ryan (trending down)
Luck (trending up)
Mahomes (trending up)

Jared Goff (trending up)

Rivers is like 37. He's trending up you say?

Agreed! I forgot him

Brady

Wilson
Rothlisberger
Rivers (trending up)

Ryan (trending down)
Luck (trending up)
Mahomes (trending up)

Jared Goff (trending up)

It's hard to argue with your list. If Mahomes and KC make it to the SB or win the SB i'd slide him up but you did include "trending up" so...

Rivers is like 37. He's trending up you say?

Sure, if he comes back next year and takes his team to a AFC championship or Super Bowl....he will be viewed higher based on his exceptional body of work that doesn’t include the Big Game.

It's hard to argue with your list. If Mahomes and KC make it to the SB or win the SB i'd slide him up but you did include "trending up" so...

Based on the debut season the young fella has had stat wise he is one W away from the next level and two W’s away from being talked about in the same vein of a Brees and Rodgers (not that he is as good has them but he has a season for the ages)

Sure, if he comes back next year and takes his team to a AFC championship or Super Bowl....he will be viewed higher based on his exceptional body of work that doesn’t include the Big Game.

We've seen this movie before. He's had great regular seasons before. He's had post season flame outs before. He is who he is and isn't going anywhere but down.

We've seen this movie before. He's had great regular seasons before. He's had post season flame outs before. He is who he is and isn't going anywhere but down.

Fair rationale, I can’t really argue against that. My opinion of rivers is that he is an elite QB who has not had a complete team or next level coaching. But your point is fair.

Fair rationale, I can’t really argue against that. My opinion of rivers is that he is an elite QB who has not had a complete team or next level coaching. But your point is fair.

I'd still take him over Cousins any day.

Top Bottom