2019 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

If anyone thought Cousins was a top 9 or 10 qb they were not paying attention. He got paid, and why, because his own team didnt want to pay. With a good line he is a top 15 qb for sure. Zimmer never appreciated Case. Zimmer and the Vikings have largely ignored the offensive line to such a horrendous degree. Cousins needs a good line. Maybe letting DE Griffin go and possibly LB Barr can provide us with some money to invest there, along with the draft. We will see.

With a good Oline I'd definitely argue he's easily in the top 10. Agree with everything else you said. Need to draft OL, need to free up money somehow to get more OL, need to address OL priority #1 or we'll be in the same place next season.

He was 10th in the league in QB rating, 2nd in the league in completion %, 10th in passing yards, and 9th in passing TDs, all while playing behind a horrible offensive line and an OC who wouldn't run the ball and give him any help to keep defenses balanced or set up the play action, probably his biggest strength. He is absolutely a top 10 QB in the league. There's no reasonable, fact-based argument to say that he isn't. He was the first player in LEAGUE HISTORY to have 4,000+ yards, 30+ TDs, 10 or fewer interceptions, and a 70%+ completion percentage.

Sure enough:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
That said, anyone who watched him closely in games against the better defenses gained some insight as to why he's struggled in his career against winning teams. He's skittish throwing the ball downfield compared with when he knows the defense isn't as formidable. I saw the same thing from Mitch Trubisky the other day - to the point where he was throwing underneath so much that it actually increased the danger of interceptions because the D didn't take him seriously downfield. Mitch is a young quarterback who can and should still develop. Cousins is a little more settled in his ways.

Statistics and belief in a player are two different things. I really think most people will give him his that a boy for his stats, but until he can win games against good competition, he wont be looked at as a top 10 qb. Hopefully we get a decent oline and that can be next year.

From Pro football focus before the season. Not sure what they have this year.
In Cousins, the Vikings signed PFF’s 19th-highest graded quarterback last season, finishing with a 78.8 overall grade.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Skol Vikes!!

He was 10th in the league in QB rating, 2nd in the league in completion %, 10th in passing yards, and 9th in passing TDs, all while playing behind a horrible offensive line and an OC who wouldn't run the ball and give him any help to keep defenses balanced or set up the play action, probably his biggest strength. He is absolutely a top 10 QB in the league. There's no reasonable, fact-based argument to say that he isn't. He was the first player in LEAGUE HISTORY to have 4,000+ yards, 30+ TDs, 10 or fewer interceptions, and a 70%+ completion percentage.

Top 10? Really dog? Stats are for losers; Cousins can’t beat good teams. Which 7 QB’s on this list would you say Cousins is better than? They aren’t ranked.

1. Tom Brady
2. Drew Brees
3. Aaron Rogers
4. Phillip Rivers
5. Matt Ryan
6. Patrick Mahomes
7. Russell Wilson
8. Ben Rothisberger
9. Jared Goff
10. Carson Wentz
11. Nick Foles
12. Deshawn Watson
13. Mathew Stafford
14. Andrew Luck
15. Cam Newton
16. Alex Smith (healthy)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

If anyone thought Cousins was a top 9 or 10 qb they were not paying attention. He got paid, and why, because his own team didnt want to pay. With a good line he is a top 15 qb for sure. Zimmer never appreciated Case. Zimmer and the Vikings have largely ignored the offensive line to such a horrendous degree. Cousins needs a good line. Maybe letting DE Griffin go and possibly LB Barr can provide us with some money to invest there, along with the draft. We will see.

100% agree. My issue with Cousins was folks were acting like we got significant/any upgrade over Case. Cousins couldn’t make the playoffs with a healthier same team.

Statistics and belief in a player are two different things. I really think most people will give him his that a boy for his stats, but until he can win games against good competition, he wont be looked at as a top 10 qb. Hopefully we get a decent oline and that can be next year.

From Pro football focus before the season. Not sure what they have this year.
In Cousins, the Vikings signed PFF’s 19th-highest graded quarterback last season, finishing with a 78.8 overall grade.

Add in crucial turnovers and not beating winning teams and that was the MO on Cousins at Washington. Cousin apologists also blamed the team. The truth is out after he couldn’t make the playoffs with a double debit win team and the only thing different was him.

Top 10? Really dog? Stats are for losers; Cousins can’t beat good teams. Which 7 QB’s on this list would you say Cousins is better than? They aren’t ranked.

1. Tom Brady
2. Drew Brees
3. Aaron Rogers
4. Phillip Rivers
5. Matt Ryan
6. Patrick Mahomes
7. Russell Smith
8. Ben Rothisberger
9. Jared Goff
10. Carson Wentz
11. Nick Foles
12. Deshawn Jackson
13. Mathew Stafford
14. Andrew Luck
15. Cam Newton
16. Alex Smith (healthy)

Well, I know he’s better than Russell Smith and Deshawn Jackson as they aren’t NFL quarterbacks. [emoji12]

Very poor and dumb argument by you. Passing stats are inflated and quarterback rating is flawed. A lot of modern day QBs rank higher in that awful stat than Joe Montana! LMAO!

In a much better stat, QBR, Cousins ranked 15th, which most would consider to be average. Oh look, that was a fact based argument!

Go eat Oreos.

Well, I know he’s better than Russell Smith and Deshawn Jackson as they aren’t NFL quarterbacks. [emoji12]

[emoji2959][emoji2959][emoji2959][emoji2959][emoji2959][emoji41]

1. Tom Brady
2. Drew Brees
3. Aaron Rogers
4. Phillip Rivers
5. Matt Ryan
6. Patrick Mahomes
7. Russell Smith
8. Ben Rothisberger
9. Jared Goff
10. Carson Wentz
11. Nick Foles
12. Deshawn Jackson
13. Mathew Stafford
14. Andrew Luck
15. Cam Newton
16. Alex Smith (healthy)

Wentz (so far). Alex Smith. Russel Smith is awful I hear. But Russel Wilson is better than Cousins. Um......that's it.

Very poor and dumb argument by you. Passing stats are inflated and quarterback rating is flawed. A lot of modern day QBs rank higher in that awful stat than Joe Montana! LMAO!

In a much better stat, QBR, Cousins ranked 15th, which most would consider to be average. Oh look, that was a fact based argument!

Go eat Oreos.

Go f*ck yourself.

He finished 10th in the league against other active QBs. I at no point said anything about Joe Montana - that was your insanely idiotic argument.

Everything about my argument was based in fact.

Go f*ck yourself.

He finished 10th in the league against other active QBs. I at no point said anything about Joe Montana - that was your insanely idiotic argument.

Hey genius, you said the is no reasonable fact based argument against Cousins being a top 10 QB. 0723 just gave you one.

The Montana example was made to clearly illustrate the flawed stat the you cited.

Maybe you aren't close to being as smart as you think. Stick to the Doritos.

Go f*ck yourself.

If true, that would be a humongous improvement! Did you get moved to NY yet or are you waiting for the lake effect snow to melt enough to back your U Haul up to your door?

Go f*ck yourself.

F*ck stats.

What made Keenum so successful here was his ability to to scramble when he needed to. Case had a fantastic pocket presence. When the pocket was breaking down (quickly) on him, he knew when and where to go. Cousins is the complete opposite. Slow with poor pocket awareness and little aggression, Having a QB that could scramble for a few yards as opposed to taking a sack for a big loss doesn't show up in a quarterback rating. Cousins is a total statue. We need to draft an offensive line or the money spent on Kirk will have been a waste.

Am I the only one who wishes we could see these stats for someone like Alex smith or Case just so we have something to compare it to? Let's not compare him to a top 5 qb, or maybe even number 8 or 9. But say a 10-15QB who has played 5 years, what are there numbers in these same categories?

Hey genius, you said the is no reasonable fact based argument against Cousins being a top 10 QB. 0723 just gave you one.

The Montana example was made to clearly illustrate the flawed stat the you cited.

Maybe you aren't close to being as smart as you think. Stick to the Doritos.

It's flawed when you compare QB's from different eras. It's not as flawed if you compare players from the same era.

Am I the only one who wishes we could see these stats for someone like Alex smith or Case just so we have something to compare it to? Let's not compare him to a top 5 qb, or maybe even number 8 or 9. But say a 10-15QB who has played 5 years, what are there numbers in these same categories?

Agreed. I believe Aaron Rodgers has a below .500 record on the road over his career and his road record against teams over .500 is really bad. We'll never hear about that though.

F*ck stats.

What made Keenum so successful here was his ability to to scramble when he needed to. Case had a fantastic pocket presence. When the pocket was breaking down (quickly) on him, he knew when and where to go. Cousins is the complete opposite. Slow with poor pocket awareness and little aggression, Having a QB that could scramble for a few yards as opposed to taking a sack for a big loss doesn't show up in a quarterback rating. Cousins is a total statue. We need to draft an offensive line or the money spent on Kirk will have been a waste.

100% spot on post. Spielman failed miserably on this one.

Can we buy Cousins some pocket awareness? And if so, will it count against cap?

F*ck stats.

I read that article last week and I don't put a lot of stock into it; some, but not a lot. Judging from the results across the board, and from who was polled, I think it's safe to say that some biases came out in this polling on a number of the questions.

Top Bottom