2019 Minnesota Vikings Off-Season Thread

There are about 6-7 OTs (at least) who could go beginning at the midpoint of the first round through the second round. If Spielman reaches for a mediocre LB when all of those are available, he should be fired on the spot.

Your are being far to kind; if Spielman utters any players name as a first or second round pick who is NOT an o-lineman he should be immediately flogged and quartered and I don’t even know what that is![emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sid: Vikings quarterback Kirk Cousins 'frustrated' by first-year results

Dan Patrick had Vikings quarterback Kirk Cousins on his radio show during Super Bowl weekend, and he asked Cousins if he viewed his first season in Minnesota as a success.

“The short answer is no,” Cousins said. “We didn’t make the playoffs. There were high expectations and we didn’t deliver, and so I’ve been frustrated since the season ended.”

Cousins finished 10th in the league in passing yards (4,298) and quarterback rating (99.7), but he said this offseason has been hard on him.

“I wish the 2019 season started tomorrow,” he told Patrick. “I’m ready to go and make amends for 2018. It’s been frustrating to know I have to sit here for whatever it is, seven or eight months before we get back at it.

“It has been a tough January for me. I haven’t been sleeping well, that kind of a thing, because, yeah, it just left a bad taste in my mouth the way the season finished up.”

Cousins will be the third-highest-paid quarterback in the NFL next season at $29 million, trailing only the Saints’ Drew Brees ($33.5 million) and the Lions’ Matthew Stafford at ($29.5 million).

The Vikings’ big question will be if they can build around Cousins with only $5.7 million in salary cap space and some key free agents — namely, defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson, linebacker Anthony Barr and running back Latavius Murray — yet unsigned.

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-...s-frustrated-by-first-year-results/505539802/

Skol Vikes!!

per Shooter:

It looks like Spielman and coach Mike Zimmer will enter next season on the last years of their contracts. If the Vikings don’t make the playoffs, major changes are expected.

To afford free agent help, the Vikings will have to either cut players or restructure contracts, or both. Those affected probably will be Everson Griffen, Kyle Rudolph, Mike Remmers, Latavius Murray and Andrew Sendejo.

If Murray leaves, a replacement would be necessary, because Dalvin Cook can’t be counted on to be healthy.

It looks like free agent linebacker Anthony Barr could end up with the New York Jets or Indianapolis Colts, teams with abundant salary cap room. If Barr were returning to the Vikings, a deal would already have been done at this juncture.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/02/...en-looking-forward-to-wilds-joe-mauer-salute/

Skol Vikes!!

per Shooter:

It looks like Spielman and coach Mike Zimmer will enter next season on the last years of their contracts. If the Vikings don’t make the playoffs, major changes are expected.

To afford free agent help, the Vikings will have to either cut players or restructure contracts, or both. Those affected probably will be Everson Griffen, Kyle Rudolph, Mike Remmers, Latavius Murray and Andrew Sendejo.

If Murray leaves, a replacement would be necessary, because Dalvin Cook can’t be counted on to be healthy.

It looks like free agent linebacker Anthony Barr could end up with the New York Jets or Indianapolis Colts, teams with abundant salary cap room. If Barr were returning to the Vikings, a deal would already have been done at this juncture.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/02/...en-looking-forward-to-wilds-joe-mauer-salute/

Skol Vikes!!

Sendejo is garbage, addition by subtraction. Griffin is mentally unstable..bye, bye. Barr is good but not irreplaceable, bye, bye. Murry is a definite must sign if the money is right. Resign Remmers and Kyle if the money is right.

Sendejo is garbage, addition by subtraction. Griffin is mentally unstable..bye, bye. Barr is good but not irreplaceable, bye, bye. Murry is a definite must sign if the money is right. Resign Remmers and Kyle if the money is right.

I'd tell Rudolph to kick rocks. He is very overrated. I'd ship off Remmers if I knew I could sign a better guard. I would shake Murray's hand and tell him that I'd be a reference for any team. Sendejo is garbage. Barr is definitely replaceable.

Griffin is the only player of those named who I would consider keeping.

STrib: No signs that Anthony Barr is close to signing with Vikings

Anthony Barr and the Vikings are approaching a forgettable anniversary.

The veteran linebacker first realized last spring he wasn’t getting a contract extension and sat out a week of voluntary OTAs while buying an insurance policy on himself. In a December sit-down with the Star Tribune, Barr said he personally got involved in contract negotiations, only to quickly eject.

The Vikings’ offers were “not really what I had expected,” Barr said.

The Vikings could take control of the contract of the four-time Pro Bowl player Tuesday, but it seems an unlikely action given the cost, the team’s salary cap situation and the front office’s history with the franchise tag. A two-week window has opened for teams to use the one-year franchise or transition tags, which the Vikings last placed on linebacker Chad Greenway in 2011 before agreeing to a long-term deal before the start of that season.

The deadline is 3 p.m. on March 5 to apply the tag.

http://www.startribune.com/no-signs-that-anthony-barr-is-close-to-signing-with-vikings/506021112/

Skol Vikes!!

per RandBall:

Vikings

The answers we seek: Can the Vikings thread the needle by maintaining their defensive core and upgrading the offensive line in free agency and the draft?

Clarity will arrive: In the next two months. Free agency starts in mid-March with the Vikings having plenty of pressing needs and not a ton of cash. The evaluation will spill into late April with the draft. If Rick Spielman can make Mike Zimmer and all his new offensive assistants happy, he will have achieved a feat.

http://www.startribune.com/were-abo...ut-gophers-wild-wolves-and-vikings/506114682/

Skol Vikes!!

Scoggins: Vikings' offensive coaching mix of Gary Kubiak-Kevin Stefanski works, but it's only February

The Vikings introduced their new offensive coaching staff Thursday and the only thing missing was a group hug.

Everybody is getting along just fine.

Perfect. Now, fix the offensive line, solve Kirk Cousins’ anxiousness in the pocket, find a No. 3 receiver and win some games.

That’s the bottom line, whether Gary Kubiak is coming here to be an adviser, de facto coordinator or confidant to Mike Zimmer.

The pressure to win necessitates bold action, even if the move creates skepticism about motive or what might happen if things fall apart again in 2019.

Zimmer is entering the final year on his contract. He has a young offensive coordinator who has been responsible for constructing the game plan and calling plays for exactly three games.

Bringing in Kubiak as a security blanket makes sense. This is no time for egos getting in the way of potentially saving jobs.

“I like to be surrounded by smart people,” offensive coordinator Kevin Stefanski said.

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-...anski-works-but-it-s-only-february/506193802/

Skol Vikes!!

per Shooter:

In slightly more than two weeks, Vikings fans should find out whether Everson Griffen, Sheldon Richardson, Anthony Barr, Mike Remmers and Andrew Sendejo will be returning or have contracts restructured.

Several players have bonuses due by mid-March if they’re still on the roster. March 13 is the trigger date for assorted NFL player contract deals as well as free agency and open trading.

It’s unlikely that Barr and Sendejo will return. It’ll be interesting whether Green Bay shows free-agent interest in Barr, who ended Packers QB Aaron Rodgers’ 2017 season with a controversial hit resulting in a broken collarbone. Regardless, Barr could be in for a $50 million, four-year contract that the Vikings currently cannot afford.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/02/...hows-theyre-serious-about-winning-al-central/

Skol Vikes!!

per Shooter:

You have to wonder whether the Vikings have quietly extended the contracts of general manager Rick Spielman and head coach Mike Zimmer, both of whom were believed to have just next season on their deals. Otherwise, why would a package of seasoned assistants, including former Super Bowl championship coach Gary Kubiak, accept jobs with the Vikings with such tenuous security? Either they got more than one-year deals or salaries that were worth the gamble.

It appears Vikings offensive coordinator Kevin Stefanski, 36, with Kubiak as a major resource, is being groomed for the head coaching job.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/02/...hows-theyre-serious-about-winning-al-central/

Skol Vikes!!

CBS Sports Mock Draft:

18. VIKINGS

T.J. Hockenson, TE, Iowa
Yes, the Vikings desperately need to upgrade the offensive line but what about giving Kirk Cousins one of the best players in the draft? Hockenson is an inline tight end who can block, and he's a mismatch against linebackers, most safeties, and a lot of cornerbacks too. Kyle Rudolph has one year left on his current deal and Hockenson, who has drawn comparisons to Travis Kelce, would give this offense one more weapon.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft...r-murray-broncos-trade-up-for-dwayne-haskins/

Skol Vikes!!

CBS Sports Mock Draft:

18. VIKINGS

T.J. Hockenson, TE, Iowa
Yes, the Vikings desperately need to upgrade the offensive line but what about giving Kirk Cousins one of the best players in the draft? Hockenson is an inline tight end who can block, and he's a mismatch against linebackers, most safeties, and a lot of cornerbacks too. Kyle Rudolph has one year left on his current deal and Hockenson, who has drawn comparisons to Travis Kelce, would give this offense one more weapon.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft...r-murray-broncos-trade-up-for-dwayne-haskins/

Skol Vikes!!

I'll be a one man riot if they did this.

STrib: Vikings pick up coach Mike Zimmer's option for 2020 season

The Vikings have exercised an option in Mike Zimmer's deal that keeps the coach under contract through the 2020 season, General Manager Rick Spielman said at the NFL combine on Wednesday morning.

Zimmer's contract had been set to expire after the 2019 season. Asked in January if he would be comfortable coaching into the final year of his deal, The 62-year-old coach said, "Sure, I got no problem with that. Free agent after that, right?"

Instead, the Vikings' move grants the coach some measure of security as he heads into his sixth season, with his fourth offensive coordinator (Kevin Stefanski) and a revamped offensive staff designed to provide the Vikings with the continuity they've lacked on offense in the past.

"Don't think, from our ownership through our entire organization, that we don't believe in Coach Zimmer, and that he is the right head coach for us going forward," Spielman said.

Spielman would not address his contract status, saying, "I'm never going to talk about my situation." Multiple sources have told the Star Tribune that Spielman's deal, like Zimmer's, was set to expire after the 2019 season.

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-pick-up-coach-mike-zimmer-s-option-for-2020-season/506438842/

Skol Vikes!!

STrib: Vikings pick up coach Mike Zimmer's option for 2020 season

The Vikings have exercised an option in Mike Zimmer's deal that keeps the coach under contract through the 2020 season, General Manager Rick Spielman said at the NFL combine on Wednesday morning.

Zimmer's contract had been set to expire after the 2019 season. Asked in January if he would be comfortable coaching into the final year of his deal, The 62-year-old coach said, "Sure, I got no problem with that. Free agent after that, right?"

Instead, the Vikings' move grants the coach some measure of security as he heads into his sixth season, with his fourth offensive coordinator (Kevin Stefanski) and a revamped offensive staff designed to provide the Vikings with the continuity they've lacked on offense in the past.

"Don't think, from our ownership through our entire organization, that we don't believe in Coach Zimmer, and that he is the right head coach for us going forward," Spielman said.

Spielman would not address his contract status, saying, "I'm never going to talk about my situation." Multiple sources have told the Star Tribune that Spielman's deal, like Zimmer's, was set to expire after the 2019 season.

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-pick-up-coach-mike-zimmer-s-option-for-2020-season/506438842/

Skol Vikes!!

Zimmer, I'm happy about this.

Spielman I'm hit or miss. However, if he doesnt add 2 quality (at a mininum) pieces to the OL, he deserves to be fired

Sid: Can Gary Kubiak work his quarterback magic with the Vikings?

How will Gary Kubiak, the new Vikings assistant head coach and offensive adviser to Mike Zimmer, and offensive coordinator Kevin Stefanski get along? This is an unusual situation for an NFL team.

“I am here to support Kevin,” Kubiak said Feb. 21. “I think a lot of him. I am very impressed with his knowledge, but I’m impressed with him as a person and how he handles the room. It looks like I’m going to be upstairs on gameday, but I am going to be there to help Kevin in any possible way I can: game planning, gameday, anything he needs me to do I will be there to help him out.”

Stefanski, entering his first full season as offensive coordinator after taking over for the fired John DeFilippo with three games remaining in the 2018 season, seems to have a lot of confidence in Kubiak and said he will lean on him as much as necessary.

And that will be necessary as seven of the Vikings’ 10 offensive coaches are in new roles this season, including Stefanski.

http://www.startribune.com/can-gary-kubiak-work-his-quarterback-magic-with-the-vikings/506609182/

Skol Vikes!!

per Sid:

Jottings

• If the Vikings lose linebacker Anthony Barr and defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson, ESPN analyst Todd McShay expects them to target Houston Cougars defensive tackle Ed Oliver with the No. 18 pick in the first round. “You get a player who has, potentially, top-10 ability and he’d fall because of some of his question marks and just because of how deep the class is,” McShay said.

• The headline from Sports Illustrated read, “Anthony Barr’s versatility will help him fit in with nearly any defense.”

• Former Vikings special teams coach Mike Priefer, who went to the Browns, was quoted as saying he didn’t want to lose Cordarrelle Patterson. And now if the Vikings want Patterson back, he is available as a free agent from the Patriots.

• Vikings General Manager Rick Spielman on scouting players for 2019: “The owners meetings at the end of March, I am going to stay out there and do Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, Utah State pro days and then San Diego is playing Salt Lake City in the AAF [Alliance of American Football], so I’m going to stay out there and go see one of those games.”

http://www.startribune.com/hartman-big-ten-football-title-is-realistic-goal-for-gophers/506934001/

Skol Vikes!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Skol Vikes!!

That escalated quickly. But $13.5 million? I'd have rather spent it elsewhere.

Like offensive line?

Zimmer is supposed to be this defensive guru, yet they use so much assets on their defense. I love Zimmer, but this is turning into a legit criticism of him. Patriots would have let him walk

Like offensive line?

Zimmer is supposed to be this defensive guru, yet they use so much assets on their defense. I love Zimmer, but this is turning into a legit criticism of him. Patriots would have let him walk

Yeah. I clicked the link expecting to read that he loved it here so much he took half the money to stay. But clearly not. They are basically right back at the salary cap now. After the cuts yesterday they had ~$13 million. Ugh.

The move only makes sense to me if Griffen is released, and they use Barr to rush the QB more frequently.

My wish list for the Vikings draft/UDFA:
Cashman, Greene, Weyler and OJ Smith :)

Every year, the Vikings pay lip service to offense, but when it's time to open up the wallet, it's all about Zim's defense.

But wait, you say - didn't they sign Cousins to a huge deal?

yes - and they put him behind a sub-standard offensive line, that right now is even weaker because they are discarding pieces without replacing them.

In all fairness, they could still make some moves to sign free agents at OL, and they can add to the position in the draft.
'
But, with the salary cap situation, they are not going to be able to sign any top-flight free-agents at OL, and even if they get lucky in the draft, you're still talking about rookies.

Plus - when the Vikes' #1 pick comes up, if there's a defensive player Zim wants, just wait and see. If they go defense with the #1 pick, heads will be exploding. and one of those heads belongs to Kirk Cousins, who will be taking a beating in every game this year, playing behind the worst OL in football.

The cap hit for Barr in 2019 isn't that much so they should have a little bit to work with.

The entire national media, local media, pro football focus, and the entire fan base realizes how bad our offensive line is, yet the stubborn heads of this team keep ignoring it. They talk about losing Sorano, wasn't he the coach for years when they still sucked! I am not sure you can get two immediate starters in one draft, possible but unlikely.

The reason you get a free agent offensive lineman is so you don't "have to" go rounds 1-3 offensive line, offensive line, offensive line.

Barr needs to be a pass rushing DE half the time or its wasted money. Would rather have had his money else where.

The entire national media, local media, pro football focus, and the entire fan base realizes how bad our offensive line is, yet the stubborn heads of this team keep ignoring it. They talk about losing Sorano, wasn't he the coach for years when they still sucked! I am not sure you can get two immediate starters in one draft, possible but unlikely.

The reason you get a free agent offensive lineman is so you don't "have to" go rounds 1-3 offensive line, offensive line, offensive line.

Barr needs to be a pass rushing DE half the time or its wasted money. Would rather have had his money else where.

Damn good post. If the are not going to pass rush Bar (they didn’t much last year) then he is a Ferrari being used as a grocery getter (a Prius would be equally as good.)

Well that sucks. OL Nick Easton signs with the Saints instead of the Vikings. Not an outstanding player but I was kinda expecting Easton to be back for the Vikings on the interior of the OL.

Top Bottom