Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by howeda7 View Post
    He hasn't done much in Baltimore.
    He's been hurt a lot.

Sid: Vikings coach Mike Zimmer's expectations, excitement are sky high

This will be the sixth season with Mike Zimmer as Vikings coach, and as rookie minicamp got underway this weekend, he said he is as optimistic as he has been in some time about the state of the team heading into the start of major offseason activities.

“I am probably more excited this year than I have been in a while,” Zimmer said. “I just feel like if we get back and get our nose to the grindstone, play smart football, don’t beat ourselves and do the things we’re capable of doing, we’re going to have a good football team.”

One of the biggest reasons for his optimism is the completely reworked offensive coaching staff: starting with offensive coordinator Kevin Stefanski but also with bringing in Gary Kubiak as an assistant head coach along with several assistants who understand Kubiak’s system very well.

“I’m extremely happy with it. We had an opportunity to get Gary Kubiak and [offensive line coach] Rick Dennison and [quarterbacks coach] Klint [Kubiak] and [tight ends coach] Brian Pariani, they have been together for a long time and have been running this offense for a long time,” Zimmer said. “Every time I had to play that offense or Kubiak’s offense, it has been extremely difficult to stop. You know they are great guys. They think like I do, so it has been really good.”

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-c...igh/509488582/

Skol Vikes!!

per Sid:

Praise for Bradbury

There is no doubt the Vikings got the man they wanted when they drafted North Carolina State center Garrett Bradbury with the No. 18 overall pick. Even though he remains unsigned, the Vikings will get that done soon.

NFL.com recently ran a list of rookies they expect to make the All-Rookie team and Bradbury was on it.

Vikings coach Mike Zimmer told me last week that Bradbury absolutely can improve the line. More importantly, he’s a great fit for the new scheme the offense will run under line coach/run game coordinator Rick Dennison.

“Bradbury is obviously going to be, we feel like, a big-time player in this league,” Zimmer said.

http://www.startribune.com/twins-did...son/509729622/

Skol Vikes!!

https://youtu.be/6lRYXx0RQhg

Pro football focus says they had Bradbury as a early second rounder. They were suprised the Vikings didn't go tackle with Dillard. Bradbury great run blocker and not a great pass protector. They like TE Irv Smith but he's more of an H back and Rudolph can block and Smith cannot at this point, so he's not really a replement. Rb Mattison was a mystery as they needed more OL picks. Did like G Samia in 4th. Also liked A Watts DT in 6th. 5th round lb was ok to. They seem to have a better success rate at picking sleepers and busts than most.

They nailed that wr treadwell shouldn't have been a first rounder.
    "His issue though is that he won’t separate regularly, and doesn’t actually take advantage of his ability to win contested catches as much as he should do. Treadwell reminds some of Dez Bryant or Michael Irvin, but to me he looks far more like Kenny Britt. Britt has had success at times in the NFL and was a first-round pick himself, so that’s not necessarily a disaster. He was taken with the 30th selection of the draft, in part because of exactly the same concerns over being able to separate. In my opinion, Treadwell is far closer to that area of the draft than a top-five pick."

Skol Vikes!!

per Sid:

Vikings need a backup QB

The Vikings went into the 2018 season with a proven backup quarterback in Trevor Siemian, a 24-game starter in 2016 and ’17 with Denver. There was at least some comfort in knowing that if Kirk Cousins got injured, they had an experienced player behind him.

That will not be the case in 2019, after Siemian signed with the Jets. The Vikings have Sean Mannion, Kyle Sloter and Jake Browning competing for the backup spot.

Sloter, a Northern Colorado product, has been with the team since 2017 and the Vikings have long thought he has the makeup to play in the NFL. In four preseason games last year, he completed 41 of 56 passes for 366 yards, four touchdowns and no interceptions, but he has yet to play in the regular season.

The Vikings signed Mannion away from the Rams, who used a third-round pick on the Oregon State product in 2015. Mannion has played in 10 NFL games, including three last year, and started once in 2017. He has only 33 career completions on 53 attempts for 258 yards with an interception.

As for Browning, he was just signed as a rookie free agent, but the Vikings are excited about him. In four seasons as the starter at the University of Washington, he completed 64.6% of his passes and threw for 94 TDs against 34 picks while also rushing for 232 yards and four scores.

One of the Vikings’ biggest battles going forward will be figuring out the best person to slot behind Cousins. There’s no doubt that if something happens to their franchise quarterback, the season could be in real trouble.

http://www.startribune.com/twins-pro...son/509803682/

Skol Vikes!!

Sid: Vikings tight end Kyle Rudolph won't take pay cut to stay but hopes he does

While Vikings tight end Kyle Rudolph has made it clear he will not take any pay cuts to stay with the team, he does believe that if a contract can be worked out, the offense will be much improved in 2019.

“I am really excited about where this offense is headed, under the guidance of [offensive coordinator] Kevin Stefanski, with the influence of [assistant head coach] Gary Kubiak. I am extremely excited about our offensive staff,” Rudolph said. “I think we have the best offensive staff in football and they’re going to put our guys in great situations to be successful.”

What does he think of Kubiak so far?

“I like him a lot,” the Pro Bowl tight end said. “I think he brings a lot of experience to this offense. He is a guy that has played and coached in a lot of Super Bowls.”

Still, Rudolph said “no way” when asked if he’d take a discount deal to stay.

“No I won’t, I am too young for that,” he continued.

Rudolph is due $7.6 million this season.

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-t...oes/509989712/

Skol Vikes!!

per Shooter:

The guess here is that if the Vikings cut Kyle Rudolph, New England will sign the tight end for about $4 million. That would be about $3.6 million less than his Vikings contract.

The Vikings’ cash outlay for this year is $217.8 million, the highest in the NFL. Average payroll in the league this year is about $180 million.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/05/1...-deserve-an-a/

Skol Vikes!!

Quote Originally Posted by BleedGopher View Post
    per Shooter:

The guess here is that if the Vikings cut Kyle Rudolph, New England will sign the tight end for about $4 million. That would be about $3.6 million less than his Vikings contract.

The Vikings’ cash outlay for this year is $217.8 million, the highest in the NFL. Average payroll in the league this year is about $180 million.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/05/1...-deserve-an-a/

Skol Vikes!!
    That would suck. I'm guessing that's what is happening; the teams that would like to pick up Rudolph are gambling that instead of having to give up something in a trade, they KNOW the Vikings will end up cutting him if they can't get a trade partner. They are just waiting things out.
    - Respect is the ultimate currency

Quote Originally Posted by Ogee Oglethorpe View Post
    That would suck. I'm guessing that's what is happening; the teams that would like to pick up Rudolph are gambling that instead of having to give up something in a trade, they KNOW the Vikings will end up cutting him if they can't get a trade partner. They are just waiting things out.
    Rudolph is not going to net much in a trade. Maybe the FO is thinking that we can package him and get an upgrade at an offensive line position.

per Sid:

Jottings

• Pro Football Focus noted that Vikings quarterback Kirk Cousins was the second-best red zone QB in the NFL last season behind only the Saints’ Drew Brees. Cousins had career highs in completion percentage (66.7) and passer rating (114.7) inside the opponent’s 20-yard line last season.

• Vikings running back Dalvin Cook is getting a lot of notice as a potential breakout star in 2019. CBS Sports’ Pete Prisco wrote: “Cook did average 4.6 yards per rush [in 2018], which shows it wasn’t a bad season, but just not the productive one that was expected. Now another year removed from injury, with an offensive line that should be improved, I expect a big season from Cook.”

http://www.startribune.com/jonathan-...ins/510355882/

Skol Vikes!!

CBS: Top 25 NFL Players Under 25:

6. Vikings EDGE Danielle Hunter (24)
    It still feels like Danielle Hunter is criminally underrated even though he's racked up 40 sacks in four seasons. He's coming off the best season of his career, during which he brought down opposing quarterbacks 14.5 times. According to PFF, he's also generated 190 pressures since 2016, which ranks 11th (tied with Frank Clark) among edge defenders. Only six players have had more sacks since he entered the league. None of those players are under the age of 25.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/t...est-ranked-qb/

Skol Vikes!!

Sid: Anthony Barr will remain at linebacker for Vikings this season

The biggest signing the Vikings made this offseason nearly didn’t happen, when Anthony Barr initially agreed to a contract with the New York Jets.

But the Vikings were able to grab Barr back at the last minute and sign him to a five-year, $67.5 million deal.

There had been some talk before Barr re-signed that he could be moved to defensive end to help the pass rush, which lost defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson, who signed a three-year, $37 million deal with the Browns. Richardson is one of the better interior pass rushers in the league.

But as the Vikings prepare to go through Organized Team Activities, coach Mike Zimmer said Barr will stay where he is.

“He’ll be a linebacker,” Zimmer said. “We’re doing a few different things defensively so you’ll get a chance to see how it looks, but we’re going to make a few changes with some of the things schematically just from our offseason study.”

Zimmer said the linebackers are one of the most solid parts of the defense.

“[Eric] Kendricks is a good player, Barr is a good player, [Ben] Gedeon is a good player. We drafted the kid from USC [Cameron Smith] and so far he looks good, we kind of like him,” Zimmer said. “We have Devonte Downs, who was basically redshirted last year so we’ll see how he is. Eric Wilson played a lot last year. I think we’ll be OK.”

Barr said that even though the Vikings defense ranked fourth in the NFL last season in yards and ninth in points, they are committed to being even better following an 8-8 season.

“There’s a little more sense of urgency this time around,” Barr said. “Just having a disappointing end to last year, I think guys are more on point and looking forward to practicing at a good pace.”

So much of the focus this offseason has been on the changes the Vikings made on offense, but bringing Barr back means the defense should remain one of the league’s best.

Zimmer said losing Richardson hurt, and the Vikings have to hope that defensive tackle Shamar Stephen can fill in.

“Sheldon is a good player, but in this business it is how everything goes,” Zimmer said. “Guys come and go, and you know one thing we have always done since I’ve been here is not worry about who we don’t have, we worry about who we do have.”

http://www.startribune.com/anthony-b...son/510432352/

Skol Vikes!!

Sid: Vikings GM Rick Spielman sees progress on both offense, defense

The Vikings OTA offseason workouts will end on Thursday and General Manager Rick Spielman said he has noticed early on this offseason that the team and the coaching staff are being motivated by their disappointing end to the 2018 season.

Spielman was instrumental in carrying out a number of major changes to the coaching staff and the roster during the offseason, and with a new contract that keeps him here through 2020, he knows that coming up short again in 2019 isn’t an option.

“We have to have a better season,” he said. “We have good players here, and I know the coaching staff is outstanding and I know Coach [Mike Zimmer] will lead us in the right direction.

“I think it’s getting better every day. I know the guys came in and everybody has a chip on their shoulder, including Coach Zim. The guys are improving every day and just look forward to finishing out strong for the rest of the OTAs.”

The Vikings added offensive guard Josh Kline, defensive tackle Shamar Stephen, quarterback Sean Mannion, offensive linemen Dakota Dozier and Brett Jones, running back Ameer Abdullah and wide receiver Jordan Taylor. They also were able to bring back linebacker Anthony Barr and kicker Dan Bailey.

On top of that, they drafted 12 rookies along with signing a number of rookie free agents.

With so much roster and coaching turnover, Spielman noted that OTAs were important for getting everyone on the same page and the coaches are leading that.

“They have done a great job,” he said. “Rick Dennison with the offensive line and understanding what he’s looking for and the type of players we need up front to run the kind of scheme we’re going to run, and Gary Kubiak, of course, and [quarterbacks coach] Klint Kubiak and Brian [Pariani] the tight end coach, all have done a great job, [Marwan] Maalouf on special teams, there’s a lot of new ideas. I think it will pay off for us.”

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-g...nse/510715242/

Skol Vikes!!