So sick of the Vikings....If the gophers could just get seriously good

It’s not just the Vikings, that is the NFL. Vikings could pull a season out of their ass next year, no chance the Gophers do.

I'll buy that argument. I honestly think the Gophers will have a better season than the Vikings next year, but you are right, they don't have a chance to win the National Championship next season and it is possible that the Vikings could win a Super Bowl. I think the Gophers have a better chance to make the B1G Championship Game next year than the Vikings have to make the NFC Championship game though.

You aren't going to goat me into an argument by calling the Vikings chokers. I don't care about them that much to make it a big deal. The Vikings have the 6th highest winning percentage of any NFL team during the Super Bowl Era. That's pretty successful if you ask me. If you are going to bring up the 5-7 National Titles of the Gopher Football team, why don't you bring up the Minneapolis Laker Titles also? The Vikings have won close to 20 Division Titles the last 50 years, have won one NFL Championship, been to the Super Bowl 4 times and have been to the NFC Championship game 10 times. I love the Twins also, but they have not been as successful as the Vikings over the years and it is not even close.

...and haven’t been to the Super Bowl in 40 years. I guess they have only choked in the last 40 years. You’re absolutely correct.

The Cardinals and Lions have more Championships than the Vikings. Each.

...and haven’t been to the Super Bowl in 40 years. I guess they have only choked in the last 40 years. You’re absolutely correct.

The Cardinals and Lions have more Championships than the Vikings. Each.

Well neither of those franchises has won an NFL Championship since the Vikings were founded in 1961. The Vikings have still been more successful than the Twins and Gophers over the last 40 years.

The gophs could draw some people toward them.

I have the feeling the Vikings are on a downward spiral.
I honestly don’t think there is a thing as a downward spiral in the NFL. The gap between the best and worst team is so minimal. During the game today they had a stat that said there has been a team that has gone from worst to first in their division 15 of the last 16 years.

The Vikings could easily come out and go 13-3 next year or 3-13. What was the difference between this years team and last years team? Most would say this years team had more talent.

My life experience has allowed me to interact with a lot of households that do not rely on cable, DISH, satellite, or even a lot of streaming platforms for their home media source. Instead they rely on what comes in over the airwaves...in the old days analog but of course digital for some 10 years now.

At least for these folks college football is limited to the ABC, CBS, or FOX games on Saturday afternoons...or what XBox, Hulu, or whatever might provide. No ESPNs, B1G Network, etc.

Meanwhile each metropolitan area has the local NFL team on these digital airwaves...all accessible as HD with the simple antenna and what the streaming services can provide.

In this limited population, for all intents and purposes the Gophers are not accessible without going to a friend, bar, or restaurant. The Vikings are however easily accessible.

Main point being offered is that NCAA going to basically cable/satellite/streaming as the only access (outside watching on a smartphone) limits the casual audience accessibility. In other words everyone could pretty much watch the Vikings today but a much smaller slice could watch the Gophers-GT game if they cared...at least at home anyway.

I like both the Vikings and Gophers but to me they are completely different seasons. The NFL is structured to give every franchise the same chance to win the championship and with only 32 teams your chances of seeing a championship once a generation is pretty good. The NCAA is not designed to ensure each school is on a level playing field. Schools with boosters, big alumni bases and fertile recruiting grounds are given a huge leg up. A school like the Gophers can reasonably expect to peak with a conference chamapionship.

With that said, both teams have failed to reach their expected ceilings for decades. I love them both but have only experienced disappointment.

The Vikings have failed to address their biggest issue for about the 7th offseason in a row. Hard to be consistent if your o line is awful. Hasn’t been good since the steve Hutchinson days.

This x1000. Zimmer’s fetish for drafting defensive backs in the first round is the team’s downfall. How can a football coach not know the line play is priority #1 (ok, maybe QB is #1)? What an idiot. We spend $$$Millions on a good QB and then do nothing to protect him. Our first, second, third, fourth, and fifth draft picks should be O-line guys...after we fire Zimmer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well neither of those franchises has won an NFL Championship since the Vikings were founded in 1961. The Vikings have still been more successful than the Twins and Gophers over the last 40 years.

For the record, the Minnesota Vikings were the 1969 NFL Champions, long past when the Detroit Lions last won the title. Detroit never should have fired Jim Caldwell last year either.

How they managed to lose to Hank Stram's AFL Champion team is a mystery, but Bobby Bell might know.

I grew up loving the Vikings. I just slowly started caring less and less. I watch every game, but don't really care if they win o lose. I'm annoyed with that stupid Skol chant that they're trying to pass off as some ancient Nordic tradition and I get a massive chuckle out of all the Kings of the North memes I saw last year on social media. You beat 3 teams to win the division. And one of them is the Lions.
If the Vikings didn't win the Super Bowl last year, they are never going to win it. Everything, and I mean everything lined up for them to win the Super Bowl in their own stadium. The script wrote itself and they blew it.

My life experience has allowed me to interact with a lot of households that do not rely on cable, DISH, satellite, or even a lot of streaming platforms for their home media source. Instead they rely on what comes in over the airwaves...in the old days analog but of course digital for some 10 years now.

At least for these folks college football is limited to the ABC, CBS, or FOX games on Saturday afternoons...or what XBox, Hulu, or whatever might provide. No ESPNs, B1G Network, etc.

Meanwhile each metropolitan area has the local NFL team on these digital airwaves...all accessible as HD with the simple antenna and what the streaming services can provide.

In this limited population, for all intents and purposes the Gophers are not accessible without going to a friend, bar, or restaurant. The Vikings are however easily accessible.

Main point being offered is that NCAA going to basically cable/satellite/streaming as the only access (outside watching on a smartphone) limits the casual audience accessibility. In other words everyone could pretty much watch the Vikings today but a much smaller slice could watch the Gophers-GT game if they cared...at least at home anyway.

Sorry, but those households you interacted with are living in the dark ages (a level or two behind), sort of like I am now, since I am still on the Dish, and not using any delivery to my mobile devices.

Over the air "network" TV circa 1985 is about as the same as 1920s radio broadcasts right now. It now takes some work to even find a car in some categories with a working AM radio.

Last edited:

I think the Gophers could gain a good number of fans if they were ever more successful than the Vikings, (like this year where they had a higher winning percentage).

But they aren't on everyday TV, and they aren't a top 3 sport in the market.
If they win more, they'll get more positive feedback.

Funny however if you read the press and listen to the radio, you would have sworn the Vikings were really close to winning a Super Bowl this whole season and the Gophers were some team that was going to suck and the Gophers have more wins over winning teams, a better winning percentage, and had lower expectations coming into the season.

Future is bright for the Gophers right now.
The Vikings future looks uncertain at best right now.

I grew up loving the Vikings. I just slowly started caring less and less. I watch every game, but don't really care if they win o lose. I'm annoyed with that stupid Skol chant that they're trying to pass off as some ancient Nordic tradition and I get a massive chuckle out of all the Kings of the North memes I saw last year on social media. You beat 3 teams to win the division. And one of them is the Lions.
If the Vikings didn't win the Super Bowl last year, they are never going to win it. Everything, and I mean everything lined up for them to win the Super Bowl in their own stadium. The script wrote itself and they blew it.

Wow, this post captures my exact feelings. ' I got fired up in the late Burns era when they had AC and blew out NO and SF and fell late in DC to miss the Super Bowl.

The Moss era and the Brett F/ AP eras had me inspired again with no payoff. I had some hope for Zimmer and his defense, but once again 13-3 and it all went in the crapper. It was clear if Atlanta won at Philly last year the Vikings could have made to the SB, but sure enough, Atlanta failed to beat Phily with four shots near the goal line at the end of the game, and there is no chance in hell of Vikings ever winning an NFC Championship game on the road, so that went down the hole.
This year was no surprise and the window probably has closed on this team for a few more years.

I still watch these games, but I do not really are what happens. I was out in the car driving today before the game and heard one of the KFAN clowns talking about how the team was treating today as a "playoff game" and just laughed. Great, we have a QB that presses and plays poorly under stress and the coaches are building this up as a "playofff game", what could go wrong?

Last edited:

The NFL/Vikings cast a much wider net than does our Gophers. There are Viking fans in all of the surrounding states while the Gophers are strictly limited to the borders of Minnesota. So, you are always going to have more Viking fans than Gopher fans.

However, if the Gophers start getting really good, and I believe they will, the casual fan and new fans will come flocking to campus on game day.

I always dislike these Vikings vs Gophers discussions and I usually ignore them. I read through this one for some reason. The most frustrating thing for me is people here think it has to be one or the other, and say things like “the Gophers will never be as big as the Vikings.”

This town, and the UofM alumni base is PLENTY big enough for both. I have cheered for both all my life and have never pitted the two against each other. No need to do that. The only time I get a little jealous is when I see examples of how ignorant a lot of people here are about college football, and how this effects their Gopher expectations. Most everyone I know would more actively cheer for the Gophers if they “got good.” The bulk of the fan base has gone dormant but it hasn’t gone away. Of those that have gone dormant, every one of them has had their breaking point and unfortunately the Gophers have provided a lot of breaking point material over the decades.

For me, my overall interest in college football has helped me to grow my interest in the Gophers. Meanwhile I have become less interested in pro sports and my Vikings fandom has become less hard core in the process. I still watch all the Vikings games but care far less when they lose and spend much less of my time reading up on them.

If you feel people need to quit being Viking fans to enjoy Gopher football - you will eternally be disappointed. They can, and will be both. It is just a question of when.

Depends on how you measure it. Twins have won two World Series. Of course they have also been lousy for many years and were almost contracted

I always dislike these Vikings vs Gophers discussions and I usually ignore them. I read through this one for some reason. The most frustrating thing for me is people here think it has to be one or the other, and say things like “the Gophers will never be as big as the Vikings.”

This town, and the UofM alumni base is PLENTY big enough for both. I have cheered for both all my life and have never pitted the two against each other. No need to do that. The only time I get a little jealous is when I see examples of how ignorant a lot of people here are about college football, and how this effects their Gopher expectations. Most everyone I know would more actively cheer for the Gophers if they “got good.” The bulk of the fan base has gone dormant but it hasn’t gone away. Of those that have gone dormant, every one of them has had their breaking point and unfortunately the Gophers have provided a lot of breaking point material over the decades.

For me, my overall interest in college football has helped me to grow my interest in the Gophers. Meanwhile I have become less interested in pro sports and my Vikings fandom has become less hard core in the process. I still watch all the Vikings games but care far less when they lose and spend much less of my time reading up on them.

If you feel people need to quit being Viking fans to enjoy Gopher football - you will eternally be disappointed. They can, and will be both. It is just a question of when.

Some good points.

I'm a "Fan" of both. Fan in quotes because I've watched maybe 2-3 Vikings games in the past two years. I used to never miss a Vikings game.

HUGE mistake giving Cousins guaranteed millions. They could have found 10 options who would have been cheaper and better. Cousins showing up Thielen like that proves he's a dick.
I say fire Zim AND Spielman. Zim has a sour attitude. Spielman made the mistake of the decade signing Cousins.

HUGE mistake giving Cousins guaranteed millions. They could have found 10 options who would have been cheaper and better. Cousins showing up Thielen like that proves he's a dick.
I say fire Zim AND Spielman. Zim has a sour attitude. Spielman made the mistake of the decade signing Cousins.

Mistake of the decade was signing any QB and leaving a line that's been below average to awful the last several years as is. No QB could perform with that lack of protection and that falls on the arrogant Spielman.

Having had season tickets to both teams for years I know the Vikings have win / lose more die hard fans. Look at the seat license fees in addition to the ticket costs and they sold them easily. I always want both to be successful but one of the previous posters who said the Gophers will have to start beating the good teams and going to the Rose bowl is closer to the answer. I am sometimes amazed at the loyalty the Vikings have as they basically sell hope every year.

It’s the NFL and that is a huge draw. Gophers have to have a better game day experience and win consistently and come up with a better scholarship seating/season ticket program. The U has to ease up on tailgating rules and have more 2:30 or evening games(I know big ten controls the conference season) during non-conference.

Mistake of the decade was signing any QB and leaving a line that's been below average to awful the last several years as is. No QB could perform with that lack of protection and that falls on the arrogant Spielman.

Offensive line definitely an issue. I wonder how much the death of Tony Sparano impacted o-line play this year. They didn't look like they knew how to simply create a pocket at times, always passive and backpedaling and not playing to their strengths.

Generally, this year's home games were probabbly more exciting than most home games in years.

I think it's easier to be a Vikings/NFL fan. The players don't change much and there are only 32 teams. There's also a lot more parody in the NFL. A team can be one of the worst in the league and then be a Super Bowl contender two years later.

Very well said. You also just described me. I'm a football fan and enjoy the differences in following both the college AND pro game.

Depends on how you measure it. Twins have won two World Series. Of course they have also been lousy for many years and were almost contracted

I understand it depends on how you look at it. Those Twins WS wins were 30 years ago. In '87 their record I think was 85-77 and they only had to win two playoff series to win the World Series, so they could ride Blyleven and Viola. The Vikings have been to 4 NFC Championship games since then and over time have been the more successful sports franchise. I'm not arguing that that they haven't choked, because they have. But in the Super Bowl Era they have the 5th or 6th best winning percentage in the NFL.

I'm a fan of every Minnesota sports team and have been for over 45 years since I was a little boy. My day wasn't ruined by the Vikings losing yesterday, as I don't care as much as I used to care, especially over pro athletes. But over the years, it's been easier being a Viking fan than a fan of any other sports team in Minnesota because they have had more good years than bad years. They haven't had a prolonged bad stretch of years. The Twins and Gopher Football team can't say that. I still watch all the teams and I'm a Minnesota sports optimist, but after years and years of 72 wins for the Twins, 6 wins for the Gophers, and 28 wins for the Timberwolves, you want to see something before you get too excited.

I was excited when the Gophers hired Holtz and had Rickie Foggie and Darrell Thompson. I was excited by Mason and our great offensive lines and RB's. I was excited when Kill became the coach. I was even excited by Barber and Garry White. PJ Fleck has me excited about the Gophers again. Maybe I'll be let down as a Minnesota sports fan again, but with Fleck I see the chance for something big. And when I say big, I don't mean 7, 8 and 9 win seasons. Minnesota sports fans want a winner, and honestly are probably starved for a winner. If the Gophers can win big under Fleck, fans who may have identified as Viking fans, Wild fans, Timberwolves fans and Twins fans will come out and support the team.

To conclude my thoughts on this:

To say the Vikings are a “successful franchise” is debatable. They have not won a conference championship in 40 years. They are popular because the NFL is popular, not necessarily on their own. The Cardinals are now more popular in Phoenix than ASU, and the Cardinals are horrendous.

The Vikings are now one of the only 12 teams that have not won a Super Bowl. I guess that’s something to be proud of...

The just win baby mantra really is starting to take effect.

Around town here, since winning 3 of 4 including the streak buster vs WI, Gopher Gear is much more visible. I see people wearing UMN gear everywhere.

The Vikings are a mainstay because they have beaten their rivals. Have they won the super bowl? No. Probably never will. UMN hasn't had any steam because we couldn't beat our rivals: WI and just a touch below that, IA.

The moment we beat WI, the gophers had immediate steam regardless of what the Strib or the TC media says.

Just win baby and the comparisons will go away

Top Bottom