So sick of the Vikings....If the gophers could just get seriously good

Goldteam

Banned
Reaction score
The gophs could draw some people toward them.

I have the feeling the Vikings are on a downward spiral.

I think they swallowed their Skoal.

The Vikings have failed to address their biggest issue for about the 7th offseason in a row. Hard to be consistent if your o line is awful. Hasn’t been good since the steve Hutchinson days.

I blame referee bias against the Vikings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Vikings have failed to address their biggest issue for about the 7th offseason in a row. Hard to be consistent if your o line is awful. Hasn’t been good since the steve Hutchinson days.

Yes, the Vikes offensive line is t-e-r-r-i-b-l-e. They were getting beat badly 5 blockers to 4 rushers against the Bears 2nd stringers towards the end.

this gets back to the idea that's been kicked around - how much overlap is there between the Gophers' fan base and the Vikings' fan base?

I don't think there is a lot of overlap. Maybe some of the corporations have suites or luxury boxes for both teams. But as far as the average joe, ticket-buying fans, I really don't think there is much overlap.

So, even if the Vikes absolutely went into the tank, I'm not sure that helps the Gophers. The Gophers have to re-build their fan base, and try to bring back the fans who have left, or dropped season tickets, because of the seat donation fiasco.

I think that starts by announcing that the current ticket structure and donation system has been completely scrapped, and they announce a new system from scratch. Now, that's not going to happen, but that's what I think it would take to really make a difference.

I am not sure how the Vikings defense was worse this year, with even more DL talent being added, and even solid play in the DB area with guys like Holton Hill, and a couple others playing better than expected.

It turns out that Cousins needs the right situation to shine, and by comparison Case Keenum makes things happen, even when the play call or O line are not right.

The O line was not great, but one first round pick this year was not going to fix it it either, but years of short term OL patches is catching up to them for sure. I guess drafting OL instead of the useless Treadwell might have helped by now.

Losing Shurmer as OC did not help and Defillip was the wrong choice. In retrospect, they should have held on to Case Keenum. Zimmer seemed to not like Keenum at all.

I hope they give Zimmer one more year though, since I'd like to think his defense could carry the team next year, with Hughes returning at CB, and Griffen playing like he used to at DE. The offense cannot possibly be as bad next year. A. Barr is probably gone, which may or may not be a bad thing.

Last edited:

this gets back to the idea that's been kicked around - how much overlap is there between the Gophers' fan base and the Vikings' fan base?

I don't think there is a lot of overlap. Maybe some of the corporations have suites or luxury boxes for both teams. But as far as the average joe, ticket-buying fans, I really don't think there is much overlap.

So, even if the Vikes absolutely went into the tank, I'm not sure that helps the Gophers. The Gophers have to re-build their fan base, and try to bring back the fans who have left, or dropped season tickets, because of the seat donation fiasco.

I think that starts by announcing that the current ticket structure and donation system has been completely scrapped, and they announce a new system from scratch. Now, that's not going to happen, but that's what I think it would take to really make a difference.

Largely agree with this. Vikings are much, much more of a general draw for anyone who grows up I. The state. Gopher fans I would guess are largely alumni or have first degree connections to alumni.

The only way a listless Vikings team helps the Gophers much is if the Gophers are playing in Indy and going to one of the bigger bowls, for more than one year. If that happens, some of of the hard core Viking fans that are very casual Gopher fans will start to pay more attention.

The Vikings dominate this sports market by a massive margin, and the only thing that put a dent in that were the Twins WS wins, and that momentum was rapidly vaporized by the Vikings once the Twins imploded after getting passed by Oakland late in '92.

The Gophers have to get to a Rose Bowl, win the Big Ten Championship, or pretty much go undefeated to get much attention in this town. Even winning the West and losing in Indianapolis like Northwestern did this year would not be enough.

Last edited:

I am not sure how the Vikings defense was worse this year, with even more DL talent being added, and even solid play in the DB area with guys like Holton Hill, and a couple others playing better than expected.

It turns out that Cousins needs the right situation to shine, and by comparison Case Keenum makes things happen, even when the play call or O line are not right.

The O line was not great, but one first round pick this year was not going to fix it it either, but years of short term OL patches is catching up to them for sure. I guess drafting OL instead of the useless Treadwell might have helped by now.

Losing Shurmer as OC did not help and Defillip was the wrong choice. In retrospect, they should have held on to Case Keenum. Zimmer seemed to not like Keenum at all.

I hope they give Zimmer one more year though, since I'd like to think his defense could carry the team next year, with Hughes returning at CB, and Griffen playing like he used to at DE. The offense cannot possibly be as bad next year. A. Barr is probably gone, which may or may not be a bad thing.

This defense plays in an all offense universe. Today, they gave up yards and some points, but the offense went 3 and out all game long.

The offense was pathetic, but we were still in the game in the 4th quarter. The defense had only given up 13 through 3 quarters I believe.

Rhodes is always hurt, Barr plays if he feels like it, and joseph has aged before our eyes. Everson Griffen is a shell of his former self also.

This defense is good, but does not get takeaways.

Zimmer has taken us as far as he can. I wouldn't be shocked if he retires.

Last edited:

SO MUCH happier being a Gophers fan than a Vikings fan. It's going to happen one of these years and it will be hard getting a ticket to TCF Bank Stadium. We'll be hearing from some of our old long lost friends wanting to go to the game with us.

Yes, the NFL is now all about offense, although Seattle looks pretty good playing good defense and running the ball, but they do still have Wilson at QB.

There has been a changing of the guard at QB this year with Mahomes, Trebisky, and Goff leading these high powered offenses.

It will be interesting to see if KC can break through for once in the playoffs with Mahomes making all the difference. If you are tired of being a Vikings fan, look at the KC playoff record since the 1970 Super Bowl. - not good

I think Chicago might rise up in the playoffs, as they are not that far behind KC with their new HC running the same plays with a QB who is not that far behind Mahomes, and some playmakers on offense. (Cohen, Miller, Howard, Burton) The difference is the Bears are loaded on Defense as well.

Philly getting in with the Vikings pissing away the year today, under Foles at QB could be exciting as well.

Last edited:

SO MUCH happier being a Gophers fan than a Vikings fan. It's going to happen one of these years and it will be hard getting a ticket to TCF Bank Stadium. We'll be hearing from some of our old long lost friends wanting to go to the game with us.

Having had season tickets to both teams for years I know the Vikings have win / lose more die hard fans. Look at the seat license fees in addition to the ticket costs and they sold them easily. I always want both to be successful but one of the previous posters who said the Gophers will have to start beating the good teams and going to the Rose bowl is closer to the answer. I am sometimes amazed at the loyalty the Vikings have as they basically sell hope every year.

The only way a listless Vikings team helps the Gophers much is if the Gophers are playing in Indy and going to one of the bigger bowls, for more than one year. If that happens, some of of the hard core Viking fans that are very casual Gopher fans will start to pay more attention.

The Vikings dominate this sports market by a massive margin, and the only thing that put a dent in that were the Twins WS wins, and that momentum was rapidly vaporized by the Vikings once the Twins imploded after getting passed by Oakland late in '92.

The Gophers have to get to a Rose Bowl, win the Big Ten Championship, or pretty much go undefeated to get much attention in this town. Even winning the West and losing in Indianapolis like Northwestern did this year would not be enough.

The Gophers haven't been "Great" in over 50 years. The Vikings have been pretty good over the last 50 years. If the Gophers are winners, and I mean B1G Championship or Rose Bowl good, they will have plenty of fans. I remember being at the dome and playing the Badgers when they first got good in the early '90's and all of a sudden there were Badger fans all over the dome. In the late '80's the Badger fans showed up for games the same way Gopher fans were showing up at the Bank this fall. There are plenty of crossover (Vikings and Gophers) fans....they have just left over time. Give them something to be excited about and they will come out and support the Gophers.

Agreed there are a lot of Vikings fans that dislike the Gophers. Donation structure needs to be revamped more in line with what people are willing to pay.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Having had season tickets to both teams for years I know the Vikings have win / lose more die hard fans. Look at the seat license fees in addition to the ticket costs and they sold them easily. I always want both to be successful but one of the previous posters who said the Gophers will have to start beating the good teams and going to the Rose bowl is closer to the answer. I am sometimes amazed at the loyalty the Vikings have as they basically sell hope every year.

That's because the Vikings have been Minnesota's most successful franchise. I read an article about the super Bowl Era and the success of all the teams, where they gave points for Super Bowl Championships, division championships, HOFers and so on and the Vikings were one of the most successful franchises over the last 50 years.

Yes, the NFL is now all about offense, although Seattle looks pretty good playing good defense and running the ball, but they do still have Wilson at QB.

There has been a changing of the guard at QB this year with Mahomes, Trebisky, and Goff leading these high powered offenses.

It will be interesting to see if KC can break through for once in the playoffs with Mahomes making all the difference. If you are tired of being a Vikings fan, look at the KC playoff record since the 1970 Super Bowl. - not good

I think Chicago might rise up in the playoffs, as they are not that far behind KC with their new HC running the same plays with a QB who is not that far behind Mahomes, and some playmakers on offense. (Cohen, Miller, Howard, Burton) The difference is the Bears are loaded on Defense as well.

Philly getting in with the Vikings pissing away the year today, under Foles at QB could be exciting as well.

If Foles is exciting in the playoffs, the bears will be one and done.

Agreed there are a lot of Vikings fans that dislike the Gophers.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

I think most Viking fans think the Gophers are irrelevant. The Gophers haven't been good during most people's lifetimes. The Gophers were last good when people who are 70 years-old now were pre-teens. But if the Gophers became good...like Rose Bowl good...there would be tons of crossover fans. I'm not saying every Viking fan will be a Gopher fan, but a lot more than most people think would be fans of both.

Don't know and don't care about what hard-core Viking fans think. Am pretty sure if the Gophers could get to the level of Wisconsin the fans would be there in droves. Lots of love for the U, and not just from alumni. Clem's Final Four team that doesn't exist; the women's Final Four run; and Kill's Fiesta Bowl show that people will get enthusiastic about the Gophers if given a chance.

The Vikings dominate this town and no matter how good the Gophers may become they will never overtake the Vikings in popularity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think most Viking fans think the Gophers are irrelevant. The Gophers haven't been good during most people's lifetimes. The Gophers were last good when people who are 70 years-old now were pre-teens. But if the Gophers became good...like Rose Bowl good...there would be tons of crossover fans. I'm not saying every Viking fan will be a Gopher fan, but a lot more than most people think would be fans of both.

WTF!! Knock that down some years....geeze.

The Vikings dominate this town and no matter how good the Gophers may become they will never overtake the Vikings in popularity.

I think the U is seen by some as for the “elites”. It’s very hard to get in as an undergrad. A lot of people’s kids can’t get in and end up going elsewhere, St Cloud Mankato Dakotas etc.

The Vikings are an everybody’s team in the state.

Amazing how a missed FG in the second week cost them the whole season. They beat the Packers in OT in week two and they are in the play-offs. Every game counts.

That's because the Vikings have been Minnesota's most successful franchise. I read an article about the super Bowl Era and the success of all the teams, where they gave points for Super Bowl Championships, division championships, HOFers and so on and the Vikings were one of the most successful franchises over the last 50 years.

Wow, that’s shocking for a franchise that has choked every season in it’s existence. Every season.

The Twins have 2 World Series Championships. The Gophers from 5-7 National Championships. The Vikings at best are third.

I think the U is seen by some as for the “elites”. It’s very hard to get in as an undergrad. A lot of people’s kids can’t get in and end up going elsewhere, St Cloud Mankato Dakotas etc.

The Vikings are an everybody’s team in the state.

It's no different for basketball and when the Gophers were good under Clem everyone loved the Gophers. The U the only Division 1 school in the state and if they are a winner in football, people will support them. We are a unique state that way.

Wow, that’s shocking for a franchise that has choked every season in it’s existence. Every season.

The Twins have 2 World Series Championships. The Gophers from 5-7 National Championships. The Vikings at best are third.

You aren't going to goat me into an argument by calling the Vikings chokers. I don't care about them that much to make it a big deal. The Vikings have the 6th highest winning percentage of any NFL team during the Super Bowl Era. That's pretty successful if you ask me. If you are going to bring up the 5-7 National Titles of the Gopher Football team, why don't you bring up the Minneapolis Laker Titles also? The Vikings have won close to 20 Division Titles the last 50 years, have won one NFL Championship, been to the Super Bowl 4 times and have been to the NFC Championship game 10 times. I love the Twins also, but they have not been as successful as the Vikings over the years and it is not even close.

It’s not just the Vikings, that is the NFL. Vikings could pull a season out of their ass next year, no chance the Gophers do.

Top Bottom