So sick of the Vikings....If the gophers could just get seriously good

They’ve won the 5th most games in the league over the last 5 years and return a very talented roster. Not sure what the downward spiral here is.

Missing the playoffs four of the last six years may be some indication.

Two playoff wins since 2004 may be another.

JTG

Depends on the team and situation. For the Gophers right now, winning the B1G Championship would be like winning the Super Bowl. For The Ohio State it is like making the Wild Card game.

Exactly what I was going to say. Because the nfl has relative parity and college football does not, I agree with the above.

Not to mention a 6-13 playoff record since 1988.

About midway through Sunday's game, I remarked, "We may be witnessing the dawn of an era where Gopher football overshadows the Vikings."

Let's face it, the Vikings have been running on reputation for a long, long time. No one under the age of 50 remembers the Vikings playing in a Super Bowl.

It's all subjective, and I really don't care how much or how little anyone likes the Vikes. Personally, I think the NFL provides a much less interesting product than college football.

I watch the Vikes. I care about the Gophers. It's much more likely I'll stop watching the Vikings before I stop caring about the Gophers.

JTG

Agreed, I would never take my kids to a vikings game, it's not a family friendly environment, I was at the Seahawks vikings playoff game at the bank and it was just a bunch of angry drunks yelling f bombs spilling beer on people

I've been to several Iowa & Badger games where the behavior was just as bad.

No one under the age of 50 remembers the Vikings playing in a Super Bowl.

Well frankly, a few of us over 50 don't remember so well either.:cool:

I don't feel sorry for the Vikings at all. They got bamboozled by a mediocre QB at best against winning teams with a three year guaranteed contract. Haven't they learned from the Herschel Walker trade?

Secondly, they had an opportunity in the 1st Round of the 2018 Draft to pick a pretty decent OL. Instead, they drafted UFC DB Mike Hughes 30th overall. They waited until the second round to pick Pitt OT Brian O'neill 62nd overall.

Zimmer is a hot head and is impatient with kickers. He went through how many kickers? Four?

Daniel Carlson the Auburn kicker that the Vikings drafted in the 5th Round (167 overall), and let go has done fairly well for Oakland. http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/3051909/daniel-carlson

Mistake of the decade was signing any QB and leaving a line that's been below average to awful the last several years as is. No QB could perform with that lack of protection and that falls on the arrogant Spielman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Preeecisely! 30 scoring passes vs. just 10 picks with virtually no running game and few clean pockets to step up into is an accomplishment.

That's because the Vikings have been Minnesota's most successful franchise. I read an article about the super Bowl Era and the success of all the teams, where they gave points for Super Bowl Championships, division championships, HOFers and so on and the Vikings were one of the most successful franchises over the last 50 years.

That was one study. The Vikings by my count are no better than 20th in NFL history. Hell it has been 2 generations since they have even been to a super bowl, never even winning one.

I think the U is seen by some as for the “elites”. It’s very hard to get in as an undergrad. A lot of people’s kids can’t get in and end up going elsewhere, St Cloud Mankato Dakotas etc.

The Vikings are an everybody’s team in the state.

The acceptance rate is 50%. The state has several colleges in the state that are much harder to get into.

I understand it depends on how you look at it. Those Twins WS wins were 30 years ago. In '87 their record I think was 85-77 and they only had to win two playoff series to win the World Series, so they could ride Blyleven and Viola. The Vikings have been to 4 NFC Championship games since then and over time have been the more successful sports franchise. I'm not arguing that that they haven't choked, because they have. But in the Super Bowl Era they have the 5th or 6th best winning percentage in the NFL.

I'm a fan of every Minnesota sports team and have been for over 45 years since I was a little boy. My day wasn't ruined by the Vikings losing yesterday, as I don't care as much as I used to care, especially over pro athletes. But over the years, it's been easier being a Viking fan than a fan of any other sports team in Minnesota because they have had more good years than bad years. They haven't had a prolonged bad stretch of years. The Twins and Gopher Football team can't say that. I still watch all the teams and I'm a Minnesota sports optimist, but after years and years of 72 wins for the Twins, 6 wins for the Gophers, and 28 wins for the Timberwolves, you want to see something before you get too excited.

I was excited when the Gophers hired Holtz and had Rickie Foggie and Darrell Thompson. I was excited by Mason and our great offensive lines and RB's. I was excited when Kill became the coach. I was even excited by Barber and Garry White. PJ Fleck has me excited about the Gophers again. Maybe I'll be let down as a Minnesota sports fan again, but with Fleck I see the chance for something big. And when I say big, I don't mean 7, 8 and 9 win seasons. Minnesota sports fans want a winner, and honestly are probably starved for a winner. If the Gophers can win big under Fleck, fans who may have identified as Viking fans, Wild fans, Timberwolves fans and Twins fans will come out and support the team.

Would you trade some of that 5th or 6th best winning % for a championship or 2 !

Would you trade some of that 5th or 6th best winning % for a championship or 2 !

I wouldn't say the Twins have been a more successful franchise and they won two World Series in the late 80's early 90's. I thought I was pretty clear on that. When I watch the Twins now I'm not thinking about Kirby Puckett, Rod Carew or Harmon Killebrew. Just like when I watch the Gophers I'm not thinking of Paul Giel or Bruce Smith and the great Gopher teams 25 plus years before I was born. I think it's pretty comical when Packer fans talk about their championships from the 40's, 50's and early 60's.

Last edited:

I wouldn't say the Twins have been a more successful franchise and they won two World Series in the late 80's early 90's. I thought I was pretty clear on that. When I watch the Twins now I'm not thinking about Kirby Puckett, Rod Carew or Harmon Killebrew....

The Twins success has been more recent than that. Both the Twins and the Vikings have made it into post season play 7 times in the 2000s. Pretty equal. At least the Twins (and Gophers) have some older championship banners hanging in their stadiums. The Vikings have....none.

Like the Jets or the Bucs? No

Here is the article

Who cares about his method of judging success. Your entitled your opinion. Mine is that the Vikings have a mediocre history compared to at least 10 franchises. You can laugh all you want at the Packers titles but they are all in the record book and no one would argue that the Vikings have a better history. The Gophers football glory is a long time ago but it dwarfs UW's and as old as it is it all counts. Record books count. Go to Canton and you will get a real clear picture on what franchises are truly legendary.

People citing the Vikings lack of success is funny. Gophers haven’t won a conference title since 25 years before I was born. Haven’t played in a rose bowl in my dad’s lifetime and he has kids on their 30s. I suppose 20 bowl games should really impress everyone. 10 less than Wisconsin, 11 less than Iowa.

When do you think the fans will start to care? If they win 9+ games for a decade, they’ll be less popular than the Vikings, and we all know it. I love the Gophers but its just how it is.

Vikings fans are talking about it too... it's kinda a topic.

I know. I’m a Vikings fan. But on a gopher fan board it seems funny to talk about lack of success elsewhere. Gophers aren’t exactly known for their successes in the last 50 years.

The Twins success has been more recent than that. Both the Twins and the Vikings have made it into post season play 7 times in the 2000s. Pretty equal. At least the Twins (and Gophers) have some older championship banners hanging in their stadiums. The Vikings have....none.

Exactly this. The Twins made some hay in a bad division. So have the Vikes.

Wow, this post captures my exact feelings. ' I got fired up in the late Burns era when they had AC and blew out NO and SF and fell late in DC to miss the Super Bowl.

The Moss era and the Brett F/ AP eras had me inspired again with no payoff. I had some hope for Zimmer and his defense, but once again 13-3 and it all went in the crapper. It was clear if Atlanta won at Philly last year the Vikings could have made to the SB, but sure enough, Atlanta failed to beat Phily with four shots near the goal line at the end of the game, and there is no chance in hell of Vikings ever winning an NFC Championship game on the road, so that went down the hole.
This year was no surprise and the window probably has closed on this team for a few more years.

I still watch these games, but I do not really are what happens. I was out in the car driving today before the game and heard one of the KFAN clowns talking about how the team was treating today as a "playoff game" and just laughed. Great, we have a QB that presses and plays poorly under stress and the coaches are building this up as a "playofff game", what could go wrong?

This also describes me, I loved the Anthony carter vikings and the moss years were fun but now I watch but don't care if the vikings win or lose, I actually expect them to lose if the game means anything at all

I don't feel sorry for the Vikings at all. They got bamboozled by a mediocre QB at best against winning teams with a three year guaranteed contract. Haven't they learned from the Herschel Walker trade?

Secondly, they had an opportunity in the 1st Round of the 2018 Draft to pick a pretty decent OL. Instead, they drafted UFC DB Mike Hughes 30th overall. They waited until the second round to pick Pitt OT Brian O'neill 62nd overall.

Zimmer is a hot head and is impatient with kickers. He went through how many kickers? Four?

Daniel Carlson the Auburn kicker that the Vikings drafted in the 5th Round (167 overall), and let go has done fairly well for Oakland. http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/_/id/3051909/daniel-carlson

This x1000. Zimmer and Spielman are complete idiots for not drafting an offensive lineman in round one in 2018. Zimmer has a fetish with drafting defensive backs in the first round and it cost us the playoffs this year. It should cost those clowns their jobs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Besides the two years the Twins won the World Series, they have won a total of 9 playoff GAMES and one playoff series since they moved to Minnesota in 1961. Three of those games were in the 1965 World Series, four others were in 2002 when they won the short series against Oakland 3 games to 2 games and then lost to the Angels 4 games to 1 game. The Vikings have been to four NFC championship games since January 1999. I agree the Vikings have choked, but they have had much more success than the Twins over the last 58 seasons.

I've been a huge fan of both the Twins and Vikings. I used to fall asleep listening to Twins games on WCCO when they were on the West Coast when I was a kid. But in my lifetime, the Twins have had separate playoff droughts of 16 years, 10 years and 6 years. The last 14 seasons they have won 1 playoff GAME, and it wasn't really even a playoff game, but a game 163 play-in game.

Besides the two years the Twins won the World Series, they have won a total of 9 playoff GAMES and one playoff series since they moved to Minnesota in 1961. Three of those games were in the 1965 World Series, four others were in 2002 when they won the short series against Oakland 3 games to 2 games and then lost to the Angels 4 games to 1 game. The Vikings have been to four NFC championship games since January 1999. I agree the Vikings have choked, but they have had much more success than the Twins over the last 58 seasons.

I've been a huge fan of both the Twins and Vikings. I used to fall asleep listening to Twins games on WCCO when they were on the West Coast when I was a kid. But in my lifetime, the Twins have had separate playoff droughts of 16 years, 10 years and 6 years. The last 14 seasons they have won 1 playoff GAME, and it wasn't really even a playoff game, but a game 163 play-in game.

People complain about Cousins and 84 million.

Joe Mauer completely stole 185 million. Grand Theft!

I also grew up listening on the radio. Those west coast games were awesome.

And again, the Twins winning two world series never enters my mind when watching them. Oh gee, Buxton struck out again in the clutch, but what about 87 and 91. It's nothing but a great memory.

Last edited:

The acceptance rate is 50%. The state has several colleges in the state that are much harder to get into.
When they did away with GC things changed. Not saying good or bad but it did change the dynamic. When I was in high school (80s) the U was cheap and MN kids could get into GC if they really wanted to go to the U. Those kids go to SCSU, MSU, or CC now. Get a decent ACT and schools like UST make it as cheap if not cheaper than the U.

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

When they did away with GC things changed. Not saying good or bad but it did change the dynamic. When I was in high school (80s) the U was cheap and MN kids could get into GC if they really wanted to go to the U. Those kids go to SCSU, MSU, or CC now. Get a decent ACT and schools like UST make it as cheap if not cheaper than the U.

Understood, i was just making point that it is not elite or hard to get into. As for the Gophers ever getting more popular than the Vikes, not likely. It would take back to back Big 10 titles and a national title. Some of us simply prefer college sports over pro sports.

Understood, i was just making point that it is not elite or hard to get into. As for the Gophers ever getting more popular than the Vikes, not likely. It would take back to back Big 10 titles and a national title. Some of us simply prefer college sports over pro sports.
With a 50% admission rate to the flagship state school that means half the kids in the state who wanted to get in couldn't. I think that is where the idea of "Elite" comes in. In the past it was far easier and cheaper for an average Minnesota kid to go to the U.

The Vikings have been to four NFC championship games since January 1999. I agree the Vikings have choked, but they have had much more success than the Twins over the last 58 seasons.

Sure, other than their two World Series championships, the Twins didn't accomplish much.

(We need a face-palm emoji.)

Oh, and in the last three of those NFC championship games you mentioned, the Vikings were outscored 110-35.

JTG

People citing the Vikings lack of success is funny. Gophers haven’t won a conference title since 25 years before I was born. Haven’t played in a rose bowl in my dad’s lifetime and he has kids on their 30s. I suppose 20 bowl games should really impress everyone. 10 less than Wisconsin, 11 less than Iowa.

When do you think the fans will start to care? If they win 9+ games for a decade, they’ll be less popular than the Vikings, and we all know it. I love the Gophers but its just how it is.

My comments have nothing to do with the Gophers. My comments are this: Do not use the Vikings as a beacon of success. They are a below average NFL franchise with a very very fickle fan base.

Yeah, and UW's acceptance rate is 54% and yet many good students get turned away at both. What is your point?

Top Bottom