So sick of the Vikings....If the gophers could just get seriously good

To conclude my thoughts on this:

To say the Vikings are a “successful franchise” is debatable. They have not won a conference championship in 40 years. They are popular because the NFL is popular, not necessarily on their own. The Cardinals are now more popular in Phoenix than ASU, and the Cardinals are horrendous.

The Vikings are now one of the only 12 teams that have not won a Super Bowl. I guess that’s something to be proud of...

I get what you are saying....they haven't won a championship. But in the Super Bowl Era they have the 5th or 6th best winning percentage in the league. That means that only the Cowboys, 49ers, Steelers, Broncos and maybe one other team has won as many games as the Vikings since 1967. They haven't gone through the long stretches of bad years that every other team in Minnesota has gone through. The Cubs and Red Sox went much longer without winning a championship....does that mean their franchises haven't been successful? Or did they just become successful after they won the World Series? There are also two universities in Arizona....That does make a difference. You can cheer for whichever team is doing better....some people might have stronger feelings towards the U of A as opposed to ASU.

I think most Viking fans think the Gophers are irrelevant. The Gophers haven't been good during most people's lifetimes. The Gophers were last good when people who are 70 years-old now were pre-teens. But if the Gophers became good...like Rose Bowl good...there would be tons of crossover fans. I'm not saying every Viking fan will be a Gopher fan, but a lot more than most people think would be fans of both.

Been a fan of both teams all my life, go to 2-3 Vikings games a year but prefer to have season tickets to Gophers. There are many just like me. Completely agree that the Gophs have to win a lot more to get the casual fan back.

Last edited:

the Vikings benefit from having the NFL's marketing juggernaut. also, don't underestimate the pull of fantasy football.

But, as someone noted, the Vikings have the tailgate culture which has been in place since the 1960's at Met Stadium. There is no comparing the game-day atmosphere at the two teams.

Yes, for the Gophers to draw more, winning is essential. But, beyond that, people have to perceive going to a Gopher FB game as fun - as an event - as something you plan your week around, the way Vikings fans plan.

and that will require the U of MN powers-that-be to unglue their butt cheeks from each other, loosen up, and let people actually have fun at a Gopher game. Fun- what a concept. let the frats have parties on the lawn. Get companies to sponsor hospitality tents, with booze, food and entertainment. encourage and promote tailgating. and if some old bat in the neighborhood complains about noise, give her a pair of earplugs and tell her where to stick them.

"Saturday is Gopher Day." that is the slogan. the U of MN can make it happen if they want to. they need to want to.

I get what you are saying....they haven't won a championship. But in the Super Bowl Era they have the 5th or 6th best winning percentage in the league. That means that only the Cowboys, 49ers, Steelers, Broncos and maybe one other team has won as many games as the Vikings since 1967. They haven't gone through the long stretches of bad years that every other team in Minnesota has gone through. The Cubs and Red Sox went much longer without winning a championship....does that mean their franchises haven't been successful? Or did they just become successful after they won the World Series? There are also two universities in Arizona....That does make a difference. You can cheer for whichever team is doing better....some people might have stronger feelings towards the U of A as opposed to ASU.

I'm a Minnesota Twins fan, and I never watch them saying ………."It's ok that they suck, because they won a couple of titles". I don't even think of it.

Those are great memories, but again, I get just as pissed at what the Twins do as what other Minnesota teams do.

To conclude my thoughts on this:

To say the Vikings are a “successful franchise” is debatable. They have not won a conference championship in 40 years. They are popular because the NFL is popular, not necessarily on their own. The Cardinals are now more popular in Phoenix than ASU, and the Cardinals are horrendous.

The Vikings are now one of the only 12 teams that have not won a Super Bowl. I guess that’s something to be proud of...

So are the Iowa Hawkeyes something hawkeye fans should be proud of.

Using your logic, they haven't won schit. Yet, I always hear how the gophers want to become a program like them.

What are your thoughts on the Hawkeyes?

Hell, even the badgers have won a few division titles, but don't win the Big 10 championship. Should the gophers try to get to their level.

Using Viking logic, the hawks and badgers haven't won schit.

So are the Iowa Hawkeyes something hawkeye fans should be proud of.

Using your logic, they haven't won schit. Yet, I always hear how the gophers want to become a program like them.

What are your thoughts on the Hawkeyes?

Hell, even the badgers have won a few division titles, but don't win the Big 10 championship. Should the gophers try to get to their level.

Using Viking logic, the hawks and badgers haven't won schit.

Iowa and Wisconsin have both won a big ten title in the last 20 years.
Since 1999 everyone in the conference who was in the conference in 1999 has won a big ten title except Minnesota and Indiana

Well neither of those franchises has won an NFL Championship since the Vikings were founded in 1961. The Vikings have still been more successful than the Twins and Gophers over the last 40 years.

TWINS???? 1987 and 1991

Iowa and Wisconsin have both won a big ten title in the last 20 years.
Since 1999 everyone in the conference who was in the conference in 1999 has won a big ten title except Minnesota and Indiana

That was not my point. They've won the Big 10 title which is equivalent to winning your division, but they didn't do schit with it. None of them were close to winning it all.

Big whoop?

So the Vikings have to win it all.........in college you just need the Big 10 title. Seriously?

Last edited:

That was not my point. They've won the Big 10 title which is equivalent to winning your division, but they didn't do schit with it. None of them were close to winning it all.

Big whoop?

So the Vikings have to win it all.........in college you just need the Big 10 title. Seriously?

Strongly disagree that winning the big ten is the equivelent to winning your division in the nfl.
In the nfl all is set up for parity and you are in a four (or 5 pre expansion) team division.
If college it is not set up for parity and you are in an 11 (14) team conference and a 7 team dicision. It is harder to win a conference than an NFL division with the exception of about 15/130 programs nation wide.

SO MUCH happier being a Gophers fan than a Vikings fan. It's going to happen one of these years and it will be hard getting a ticket to TCF Bank Stadium. We'll be hearing from some of our old long lost friends wanting to go to the game with us.

++1

Strongly disagree that winning the big ten is the equivelent to winning your division in the nfl.
In the nfl all is set up for parity and you are in a four (or 5 pre expansion) team division.
If college it is not set up for parity and you are in an 11 (14) team conference and a 7 team dicision. It is harder to win a conference than an NFL division with the exception of about 15/130 programs nation wide.

So winning the big 10 title is equivalent to winning the super bowl?

When I was a kid my parents had Viking Season tickets at Met Stadium. When it was too cold my mom deferred her seat for one of her sons. Was always a fun atmosphere. When the Vikings moved downtown they dropped their tickets. As a grown-up My wife and I started with Gopher season tickets in 2000, first 2 seats then 3 with our son. He went from grade school to a U of M grad as a die hard Gopher fan. When the stadium is full atmosphere can't be beat and even without a full house TCF Bank is a fun place. Been to one Vikings game since they moved downtown, an exhibition game with a bunch of cub scouts and the pre-game and game experience was surly and ugly. Lots of loud and obnoxious drunks. Realize its a small sample size but I hear that the game atmosphere at Viking games remains unpleasant. I'll stick with the Gophers and I hope with we attract some Viking refugees they leave their ugly behavior behind.

Probably somewhere in between Super Bowl and division
Like having the lead at the end of the 3rd quarter of the NFC title game

We haven't won the B1G Championship since we tied for the title in 1967, so it would be a pretty huge deal. I would be happy with either a Viking Super Bowl win or a Gopher B1G Championship. The Gophers winning a B1G Championship (winning in Indianapolis or wherever it might be played) might be a more difficult accomplishment to achieve.

So OSU beating NW was similar to winning the NFC championship? Or OSU beating Bucky last year?

I couldn't disagree more.

Depends on the team and situation. For the Gophers right now, winning the B1G Championship would be like winning the Super Bowl. For The Ohio State it is like making the Wild Card game.

The vikings will always be choke artists, they always have been and always will be. Nobody could have seriously believed that the vikings were going to win yesterday.

The vikings defense was a big part of the problem this year along with a horrible o line and terrible play calling

Agree. If there is one thing you can count on its the vikings choking in a big game. The twins and vikings have at least won big games

The gophs could draw some people toward them.

I have the feeling the Vikings are on a downward spiral.

They’ve won the 5th most games in the league over the last 5 years and return a very talented roster. Not sure what the downward spiral here is.

They’ve won the 5th most games in the league over the last 5 years and return a very talented roster. Not sure what the downward spiral here is.

Not to mention absolutely insane TV ratings. Some of the highest in the league within their local market.

This x1000. Zimmer’s fetish for drafting defensive backs in the first round is the team’s downfall. How can a football coach not know the line play is priority #1 (ok, maybe QB is #1)? What an idiot. We spend $$$Millions on a good QB and then do nothing to protect him. Our first, second, third, fourth, and fifth draft picks should be O-line guys...after we fire Zimmer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spot on

When I was a kid my parents had Viking Season tickets at Met Stadium. When it was too cold my mom deferred her seat for one of her sons. Was always a fun atmosphere. When the Vikings moved downtown they dropped their tickets. As a grown-up My wife and I started with Gopher season tickets in 2000, first 2 seats then 3 with our son. He went from grade school to a U of M grad as a die hard Gopher fan. When the stadium is full atmosphere can't be beat and even without a full house TCF Bank is a fun place. Been to one Vikings game since they moved downtown, an exhibition game with a bunch of cub scouts and the pre-game and game experience was surly and ugly. Lots of loud and obnoxious drunks. Realize its a small sample size but I hear that the game atmosphere at Viking games remains unpleasant. I'll stick with the Gophers and I hope with we attract some Viking refugees they leave their ugly behavior behind.

Agreed, I would never take my kids to a vikings game, it's not a family friendly environment, I was at the Seahawks vikings playoff game at the bank and it was just a bunch of angry drunks yelling f bombs spilling beer on people

HUGE mistake giving Cousins guaranteed millions. They could have found 10 options who would have been cheaper and better. <b>Cousins showing up Thielen like that proves he's a dick.</b>
I say fire Zim AND Spielman. Zim has a sour attitude. Spielman made the mistake of the decade signing Cousins.

Cousins shouldn’t confront Thielen for running the wrong route? Should he wait till after the game?

Rhodes hurt and slowing down.

Griffen is invisible.

Joseph was basically invisible.

Harrison was bad this year.

Barr probably gone.

I just sense age and the defense falling off more.

Cousins shouldn’t confront Thielen for running the wrong route? Should he wait till after the game?

Didn't Theilen start the whole thing and keep it going?

Didn't Theilen start the whole thing and keep it going?

It happened on an incomplete pass. Cousins wanted him to run to the outside and yelled back at him, "I don't have 10 bleeping seconds back there." It seems like they figured things out.

Top Bottom