PJ: Candidate for other jobs?

I really hate threads like this.....as if he can't POSSIBLY want to stay in Minnesota. Or the U can't possibly figure out what it takes to have a successful coach because they haven't had one in so many years. We can either have a coach that nobody wants and he ends his career here by being fired (Cal Stoll, Joe Salem, Glen Mason, Tim Brewster, Tracy Claeys) OR we have a coach that turns the program around and he is on everybody's hit list (Lou Holtz) and we hope the U figures out what it takes to KEEP a coach like that. I had a friend mention this to me a couple weeks back saying "Gee I hope Fleck doesn't leave like all the other football coaches we've had." I said, "name ONE that has left for another head coaching job?" Holtz was the answer and that was it. I can hear the nashing of teeth by the Gopher faithful about Fleck being or potentially being so successful that other schools will try to hire him away. OH NO! That is precisely why, in the past 2 years, Coyle has given him a contract extension (with no raise in pay), to lock him in and keep other schools away, as well as sending a message to recruits that we intend to keep him.

Huh? He did.......?

I know I slept easier when tOSU named Urban’s replacement so quickly. I’m still worried Harbaugh goes to the NFL, but if he stays at Michigan we should be OK for another year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty soon, here....Harbaugh needs to win to just keep his current job. But, I'd be shocked if Michigan with its proud tradition even thought about transporting PJ and all his culture accessories to Michigan.

$ wise PJ didn't fill the seats at WMU and attendance was down here...so if revenue is a concern for any potential suitor, (talking schools other than Michigan) I think PJ has to sell some tickets here first? If he wins but nobody cares because they feel like it's no longer their team but PJ's team then...

I'm just looking forward to winning in 2019.

Huh? He did.......?

Yup...Re: Lou Holtz...... Although there was a lot of buzz, 4-7 and 6-5 is not exactly tearing it up. He did beat Wisconsin twice, but they were not significant at the time. He did coach hard fought losses to Oklahoma (#2 at the time) and Ohio State (#9 at the time), but they were losses none the less.

Yup...Re: Lou Holtz...... Although there was a lot of buzz, 4-7 and 6-5 is not exactly tearing it up. He did beat Wisconsin twice, but they were not significant at the time. He did coach hard fought losses to Oklahoma (#2 at the time) and Ohio State (#9 at the time), but they were losses none the less.

I think what people are saying is that if a coach leaves us, that's good because he would have left the program better than when he came, and built a solid foundation for the future. Did that really happen with Lou? Didn't we go right back to being mediocre (or worse) in a hurry?

I think what people are saying is that if a coach leaves us, that's good because he would have left the program better than when he came, and built a solid foundation for the future. Did that really happen with Lou? Didn't we go right back to being mediocre (or worse) in a hurry?

I was actually agreeing with 'ya. My use of the word "yup" might have been confusing. I think Holtz "could" have built the program up to a degree of prominence, but we will never know since he jumped ship.

Mods please delete this thread.

Why, so we can move to new threads that inspire left wing political commentary? :p

I think the thread will die of its own volition shortly enough.

Two points so I can pretty much disagree with everyone:

1. For those saying Fleck couldn’t go to big name programs because they wouldn’t stand for all the “row the boat” BS: you think Fleck doesn’t know that? If he was a target of such a school I bet he could quickly reposition his beaver tail oars from the helmets to practice shirts or a small banner in the locker room. It would be a VERY short part of the negotiation.

2. And for those of you assuming Fleck would bolt as first opportunity: after 50+ years of FB struggles, who is to say long-dormant alumni and the U admin wouldn’t step up with a can’t refuse package for him? And, with school age kids and two homes in the metro, and a love for lake-life, Fleck himself might want to make this his destination job. Don’t let that “aw shucks, we can’t have nice things” Minnesotan inside of you rule your entire thought process.

Nobody knows. Way too many moving parts. Fleck probably has to make a much bigger splash than a Wisconsin victory and a .500 season to arrive at the center of the desired coach list, and at that point the U will have their own efforts to retain him and he will have to explore his own desire to leave. It just doesn’t make a lot of sense to debate step 35 in this situation when we are on step 3 or 4.

1. For those saying Fleck couldn’t go to big name programs because they wouldn’t stand for all the “row the boat” BS: you think Fleck doesn’t know that? If he was a target of such a school I bet he could quickly reposition his beaver tail oars from the helmets to practice shirts or a small banner in the locker room. It would be a VERY short part of the negotiation.

2. And for those of you assuming Fleck would bolt as first opportunity: after 50+ years of FB struggles, who is to say long-dormant alumni and the U admin wouldn’t step up with a can’t refuse package for him? And, with school age kids and two homes in the metro, and a love for lake-life, Fleck himself might want to make this his destination job. Don’t let that “aw shucks, we can’t have nice things” Minnesotan inside of you rule your entire thought process.

Nobody knows. Way too many moving parts. Fleck probably has to make a much bigger splash than a Wisconsin victory and a .500 season to arrive at the center of the desired coach list, and at that point the U will have their own efforts to retain him and he will have to explore his own desire to leave. It just doesn’t make a lot of sense to debate step 35 in this situation when we are on step 3 or 4.

Maybe, but if you ask him to leave the boat in Minnesota then you shouldn't be hiring him. Row the boat is who PJ is. It literally is his culture. Row the boat is not BS to PJ. I think at some point he'd feel insulted, more insecure and if he "sacrificed" and took the job it wouldn't work. Row the boat is too much of who PJ is.

Maybe, but if you ask him to leave the boat in Minnesota then you shouldn't be hiring him. Row the boat is who PJ is. It literally is his culture. Row the boat is not BS to PJ. I think at some point he'd feel insulted, more insecure and if he "sacrificed" and took the job it wouldn't work. Row the boat is too much of who PJ is.

You highlighted the first part of what I wrote but in the second half of that paragraph I said oars on the helmets could be moved to more discrete locations. I never said he’d have to completely abandon RTB.

I agree that I think the U of M will pay whatever PJ demands if the program rises further up the food chain.

The move by PJ to buy that nice second house on Lake Minnetonka is a good sign as well, as that is the type of place he could not have in places like Norman Oklahoma or South Bend IN, and I think he (and wife) values that and other things he gets in Minneapolis outside of football. There are not a lot of places like Lake Minnetonka and Wayzata near a lot of the premier college football destination jobs (at least if you like lakes as PJ apparently does)

Rebuilding the nearly unmatched history at Minnesota seems to appeal to him, and as long as he can win big here, along with having top facilities to recruit to, I am not sure what would motivate him to leave once he gets to program near the top, other than getting an offer to go back to the top job in Michigan or something like that.

Yeah, because other states don't have suburbs ?

The reason why PJ will not likely coach at a helmet school is because he runs the 5 year plan to success and none of those schools have the patience to wait for him to be successful.

The reason why PJ will not likely coach at a helmet school is because he runs the 5 year plan to success and none of those schools have the patience to wait for him to be successful.

Very good point. He takes over a mediocre helmet school and misses a bowl, then makes a bad bowl...he is on the hot seat. At Minnesota, he gets an extension.

I believe in PJ. I want a coach here for so long we don’t use the number of years here when discussing him. I doubt they say “year 11 of Saban” or “year 16 of Ferentz” when talking about them.

When are some of you ever going to get over this inferiority complex that our coaches want to leave us for greener pastures? Outside of Holtz, list the coaches that left us to get a “better” job. I can’t imagine what you guys would be like if you were fans of a MAC school or NDSU.

Would love to see PJ leave, but doubt there is another Power 5 school that would sellout to PJU. Thus, he probably won’t go.

They would not jump with big pay to keep him. PJ didn’t sell a lot of tickets at WMU and won’t here - too many don’t like his BS. Also, he has not won anything yet or accomplished enough for a big payday. He didn’t have unanimous support for a one-year extension and I know a couple of Regents who don’t like the RTB stuff at all and would not support a big payday.

They would not jump with big pay to keep him. PJ didn’t sell a lot of tickets at WMU and won’t here - too many don’t like his BS. Also, he has not won anything yet or accomplished enough for a big payday. He didn’t have unanimous support for a one-year extension and I know a couple of Regents who don’t like the RTB stuff at all and would not support a big payday.

Same opinion after a playoff appearance or Rose Bowl victory? You don’t take the plunge on a new stadium and practice facility but then take a flyer when you are delivered the very thing you did all of this for.

Same opinion after a playoff appearance or Rose Bowl victory? You don’t take the plunge on a new stadium and practice facility but then take a flyer when you are delivered the very thing you did all of this for.

He won’t get there, but if he did they would pay him. I was talking about current case. If he actually accomplished that, really no reason to leave (with the exception for a handful of schools) as you have established your program. That said, none of those schools would take on his schtick unless he agreed not to put RTB on uniforms, etc.

He won’t get there, but if he did they would pay him. I was talking about current case. If he actually accomplished that, really no reason to leave (with the exception for a handful of schools) as you have established your program. That said, none of those schools would take on his schtick unless he agreed not to put RTB on uniforms, etc.

And he’ll take a pay cut to go there......

Would love to see PJ leave, but doubt there is another Power 5 school that would sellout to PJU. Thus, he probably won’t go.

Do you want PJ to succeed at Minnesota?

Troll. Why continue this crap.

Top Bottom