PJ: Candidate for other jobs?

akgo4

Reaction score
We just saw Richt and Applewhite leave/get canned. With many of the bowls over now, these schools that might be looking have just had the opportunity to see other coach's teams in action. I'm typing this not knowing PJ's buyout - at what point does he become a candidate for some of those jobs that will eventually come open? Is the bar low enough here where a 7-6 could get him looked at by a major P5 program?

Wasn't referring to this year. However, if they win 7-8 games next year, do we have reason to worry?

Wasn't referring to this year. However, if they win 7-8 games next year, do we have reason to worry?

Worried about when we should start worrying. GH at its best.

Can’t make it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He is a coach of a major P5 school! He is in the conference that makes the most money and he has a chance to make his mark.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Zimmer out, Fleck in.
Watch the local media lose their ****.

Worry when we are 13-0. Shouldn't then either if the U coughs up the $$$ to keep him. What better job than dominating the B1G? None. OK, Alabama might concern me some.

Worry when we are 13-0. Shouldn't then either if the U coughs up the $$$ to keep him. What better job than dominating the B1G? None. OK, Alabama might concern me some.

I have no doubt the U will pay the $$ if he wins at the next level. They redo his contract if he wins 9 or more regular season games in 2019.

I agree that I think the U of M will pay whatever PJ demands if the program rises further up the food chain.

The move by PJ to buy that nice second house on Lake Minnetonka is a good sign as well, as that is the type of place he could not have in places like Norman Oklahoma or South Bend IN, and I think he (and wife) values that and other things he gets in Minneapolis outside of football. There are not a lot of places like Lake Minnetonka and Wayzata near a lot of the premier college football destination jobs (at least if you like lakes as PJ apparently does)

Rebuilding the nearly unmatched history at Minnesota seems to appeal to him, and as long as he can win big here, along with having top facilities to recruit to, I am not sure what would motivate him to leave once he gets to program near the top, other than getting an offer to go back to the top job in Michigan or something like that.

I agree that I think the U of M will pay whatever PJ demands if the program rises further up the food chain.

The move by PJ to buy that nice second house on Lake Minnetonka is a good sign as well, as that is the type of place he could not have in places like Norman Oklahoma or South Bend IN, and I think he (and wife) values that and other things he gets in Minneapolis outside of football. There are not a lot of places like Lake Minnetonka and Wayzata near a lot of the premier college football destination jobs (at least if you like lakes as PJ apparently does)

Rebuilding the nearly unmatched history at Minnesota seems to appeal to him, and as long as he can win big here, along with having top facilities to recruit to, I am not sure what would motivate him to leave once he gets to program near the top, other than getting an offer to go back to the top job in Michigan or something like that.

It is more than money that will keep him here. Heather and the kids will have a lot of say. And as long as he can win here, IMHO that is a big consideration.

If you search “PJ Fleck” on Twitter their are a lot of Miami fans that wouldn’t mind kicking the tires.

If the Gophers are doing so well that Fleck becomes a viable candidate for a different job, that is good for the Gophers.

Let's say, for sake of argument, the Gophers win 10 games in 2020, and Fleck jumps to be the head coach at helmet school X. He would be leaving behind a stronger program, that would be very attractive for a lot of coaching candidates - even coaches with a better resume than Fleck had when he was hired at MN.

The only problem would be if you believe Fleck is irreplaceable, or that he is the only FB coach in America who can win at the U of MN. barring that, if Fleck has a big year and jumps to another program, the Gophers would be in a better place than when Fleck arrived, and they should be able to attract a good coach to replace Fleck.

Of course, there are those oars on the helmets............

I have no doubt the U will pay the $$ if he wins at the next level. They redo his contract if he wins 9 or more regular season games in 2019.

TCF better start filling seats. Needs to be finished with the additional seating too. It is possible. The local media does not give an assist.

Can you Row the Boat in a Hurricane?

I think that Fleck’s reliance on Row the Boat and his culture in general would make him a much less attractive option for schools that could poach him. Can’t imagine a helmet school’s fanbase or administration being willing to share their program’s brand with Fleck.

Miami Hurricanes hire Manny Diaz!

Fleck isn't going anywhere for a long time. The only reason to leave is if he tops out at how good of a recruiting class he can get here at Minnesota. He has a huge ego (no different than other coaches) and would love to win a Natty. If he doesn't think he can get that done here, he will go where he can get top five recruiting classes.

TCF better start filling seats. Needs to be finished with the additional seating too. It is possible. The local media does not give an assist.

Not sure we will ever see that. I think we can be successful and still not have enough demand for tickets to add the extra seats. (by the way, what would the expansion bring the total seat count to?)

Not sure we will ever see that. I think we can be successful and still not have enough demand for tickets to add the extra seats. (by the way, what would the expansion bring the total seat count to?)

Don't you think they would go the route of the same temporary seat set up they had for the Vikings for years if we actually had a demand of another 5,000-7,000 tickets.

I really hate threads like this.....as if he can't POSSIBLY want to stay in Minnesota. Or the U can't possibly figure out what it takes to have a successful coach because they haven't had one in so many years. We can either have a coach that nobody wants and he ends his career here by being fired (Cal Stoll, Joe Salem, Glen Mason, Tim Brewster, Tracy Claeys) OR we have a coach that turns the program around and he is on everybody's hit list (Lou Holtz) and we hope the U figures out what it takes to KEEP a coach like that. I had a friend mention this to me a couple weeks back saying "Gee I hope Fleck doesn't leave like all the other football coaches we've had." I said, "name ONE that has left for another head coaching job?" Holtz was the answer and that was it. I can hear the nashing of teeth by the Gopher faithful about Fleck being or potentially being so successful that other schools will try to hire him away. OH NO! That is precisely why, in the past 2 years, Coyle has given him a contract extension (with no raise in pay), to lock him in and keep other schools away, as well as sending a message to recruits that we intend to keep him.

To me that's not an issue. MN loves a winner, because we have so few. If we start winning 9-10 games a year, the seats will fill in. We start winning Big Ten West titles and an occasional Big Ten title, we'll be putting 30k more seats in. But that's a ways off.

I know I slept easier when tOSU named Urban’s replacement so quickly. I’m still worried Harbaugh goes to the NFL, but if he stays at Michigan we should be OK for another year.

Top Bottom