Packers expected to request interview with Northwestern's Pat Fitzgerald

Sparlimb

Reaction score
Packers expected to request interview with Northwestern's Pat Fitzgerald for head-coaching job
8:19 AM PT
Adam Schefter
ESPN Senior Writer

The Green Bay Packers are expected to request an interview with Northwestern's Pat Fitzgerald for their vacant head-coaching job after he coaches the Wildcats in the Holiday Bowl against Utah on Monday, a league source told ESPN.

It is unclear whether Fitzgerald would interview, according to the source, but he certainly would be comfortable with the man leading the interview for the Packers. Packers CEO and president Mark Murphy was Northwestern's athletic director when Fitzgerald was hired as the head coach at his alma mater in 2006.

Murphy and Fitzgerald have great respect and admiration for each other and will have the chance to discuss a reunion that would be a radical shift for Fitzgerald, who has been widely regarded as one of college football's top coaches.

Green Bay already has begun interviewing candidates for its next head coach, speaking with former Detroit Lions and Indianapolis Colts head coach Jim Caldwell and former Colts head coach Chuck Pagano.

The Packers are seeking a replacement for Mike McCarthy, who was fired on Dec. 2 after Green Bay lost at home in stunning fashion to the last-place Cardinals.

Hiring Fitzgerald would be crushing to Northwestern. Absolutely crushing...

Well, Fitzgerald took them to the West title. Maybe he thinks it is time.

I have always liked Fitzgerald as a coach. I am not sure his rah, rah and " go cats " personality are a great fit for the NFL but he's a smart guy so maybe he can make a successful transition. I will never cheer for him if he coaches the Slackers.

I have always liked Fitzgerald as a coach. I am not sure his rah, rah and " go cats " personality are a great fit for the NFL but he's a smart guy so maybe he can make a successful transition. I will never cheer for him if he coaches the Slackers.

Just don't see him as an NFL HC. Got to think NW will try to bump his pay considerably...to the $5M/yr range.

Just don't see him as an NFL HC. Got to think NW will try to bump his pay considerably...to the $5M/yr range.

The pro game is very different and I would be surprised if Fitzgerald has a great interest in moving to the NFL. There's the money angle and that would surely be enticing, but he's in a great situation now.

I can see how it might of interest to him. The chance at coaching a team with one of the best QBs in the modern era in a league that allows restocking via the draft, and just up the road from Evanston, might have some allure.

I don’t see him taking it, but I would love it if he did.

You don’t think Northwestern would take a step back without Fitzgerald?

That's the exact logic I don't understand. I care about the Gophs getting better to the point that things like that don't matter for Gophs to win more games and be seen at an elevated level of success. I don't understand the logic of hoping the competition gets worse so Gophs can beat them to look better. Just get better and beat them regardless.

That's the exact logic I don't understand. I care about the Gophs getting better to the point that things like that don't matter for Gophs to win more games and be seen at an elevated level of success. I don't understand the logic of hoping the competition gets worse so Gophs can beat them to look better. Just get better and beat them regardless.

I’m with you. Hope he stays.

Put me in the group that wants the Gophs to beat jNW more whether that is because we got better and/or they got worse. I’m in favor of anything that helps either of those things happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don’t think Northwestern would take a step back without Fitzgerald?

Even with his success, NW is not an attractive place to coach. They would have a very difficult time replacing hm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Put me in the group that wants the Gophs to beat jNW more whether that is because we got better and/or they got worse. I’m in favor of anything that helps either of those things happen.

Yep. I hope that interview goes well, Fitz.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

See, now that doesn't make any sense to me at all. In 2017, absolutely no Viking fan is his right mind felt despair when Aaron Rodgers was injured and said, "I don't want the Packers to get worse. I just want us to get better and beat them regardless."

Rodgers going down made it easier for the Vikings to win the division. I'm in favor of Fitz leaving Northwestern and making it easier for us to win the division.

This will never happen. Many college coaches earn more than professional fantasy league coaches make. Fitz is not a fool. He should look at what the packers did to their former coach. Just watch what happens with the Vikings coach and general manager during the next twelve months after trying to buy a championship for 3 years and 85 million bucks. Watch how often the nfl recycles nfl coaches in the old boy nfl owners fraternity.

Being an nfl coach is a step up from a good, solid college coaching gig when the coach is TIED to the school from his days there as a student and legendary Wildcat Player?

Fitz would be an absolute fool to bag butt to the nfl. I really don't believe Fitz is a fool. Fitz IS MR. NORTHWESTERN. He is beloved there.

He will say he is honored that the packers wanted to talk to him...get a little nicer deal with NU and continue living his dream. Will the nfl ever give the loyalty to Fitz that NU will? Evanston is a pretty nice place...a LOT nicer than Green Bay...

nfl jobs are a dime a dozen...in any given year. The nfl is a fool's game for a coach who holds a contract like Fitz @ NU. Or...maybe some people think that Fitz has always had a dream to coach the stinking Packer...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...red-around-the-nfl/ar-BBRDZms?ocid=spartandhp

Last edited:

I think he should take it. He's taken Northwestern as far as he likely can, and unless he plans on being a lifer there for the next 20+ seasons it's his time to go for something different. The NFL would represent something clearly a step up from his current job without having to bail on Northwestern for another NCAA program.

If it goes well, it goes well. He proves himself a successful NFL coach.

If the NFL goes badly, another P5 program would likely scoop him up after his firing -- perhaps even back to Northwestern. He leaves for the NFL with a good enough NCAA rep that he would have a spot should the Packers shoddy roster cause him a quick dismissal.

This will never happen. Many college coaches earn more than professional fantasy league coaches make. Fitz is not a fool. He should look at what the packers did to their former coach. Just watch what happens with the Vikings coach and general manager during the next twelve months after trying to buy a championship for 3 years and 85 million bucks. Watch how often the nfl recycles nfl coaches in the old boy nfl owners fraternity.

Being an nfl coach is a step up from a good, solid college coaching gig when the coach is TIED to the school from his days there as a student and legendary Wildcat Player?

Fitz would be an absolute fool to bag butt to the nfl. I really don't believe Fitz is a fool. Fitz IS MR. NORTHWESTERN. He is beloved there.

He will say he is honored that the packers wanted to talk to him...get a little nicer deal with NU and continue living his dream. Will the nfl ever give the loyalty to Fitz that NU will? Evanston is a pretty nice place...a LOT nicer than Green Bay...

nfl jobs are a dime a dozen...in any given year. The nfl is a fool's game for a coach who holds a contract like Fitz @ NU. Or...maybe some people think that Fitz has always had a dream to coach the stinking Packer...

There are people that think like this. And there are people that don't. A lot of successful people do NOT think like this.

I'm not saying he would leave if it was offered. I'm just saying that it's likely Fitz doesn't think like you do.

It’s salary negotiation season. Kudos to Fitz on his raise.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...red-around-the-nfl/ar-BBRDZms?ocid=spartandhp
Evanston is a dump. Still doesn't mean it's worse than Green Bay, but it's a dump.

Awesome. That dude may be the biggest doof in all of CFB.

Who, Meathead? He reminds me of a younger, more subdued PJ. I'm glad I sit on the visitors side so I can watch his antics. It's a look that works better for a strength assistant than a 3.5 million dollar head coach.

Top Bottom