Packers expected to request interview with Northwestern's Pat Fitzgerald

Bleacher report broke this a couple days ago. Its in the coaches thread.

Fitzgerald has turned down NFL jobs before. I think he stays.

He said tonight at the Holiday Bowl he wasn't going anywhere. Don't think the NFL would be a good fit for him, anyway. Great second half comeback, by the way, for the Cats.

Zero chance he leaves. He loves NW and they love him. I truly believe him when he says it is his dream job

Zero chance he leaves. He loves NW and they love him. I truly believe him when he says it is his dream job

Yep. Dude is coach for life at NU, he’s not going anywhere, and he would be a complete fool if he did.

Haven't gone through the to read the whole thread so forgive me if discussed before. College coaches make close to the same money as NFL coaches and for a guy like Fitzgerald there is way more job security by staying at NW. Unless his dream is to coach in the NFL he would be foolish to leave.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

The college jobs are turning out to be the better jobs as mentioned.

Look are Harbaugh at SF. Was successful. Went to Super Bowl. Got pushed out.
NFL coaching jobs are tremendously short now.

I agree - he isn't going anywhere. He will probably be at Northwestern for the next 20 years. If the Gophers get good - we can only hope PJ Fleck has that same type of loyalty.
Wisconsin, Iowa and Northwestern have the type of programs they do because someone stayed and built it and did NOT leave for another job. One of the things that killed Mason's career and programs were his constant open flirtations with other jobs which killed recruiting classes. "If the phone rings, I gotta answer it." That's fine if it's done discreetly and all the recruits don't hear about it!!

Northwestern has quietly built a very good program built with talent that is similar to the Gophers. Teams constantly overlook them and pencil in a victory before they even play them. Fitz's teams are smart and they never seem to beat themselves. He is a great coach but I think he has taken them as far as he can. If he thinks that too, he just might be ready to take on a challenge in the NFL, but I tend to doubt he moves.

There are people that think like this. And there are people that don't. A lot of successful people do NOT think like this.

I'm not saying he would leave if it was offered. I'm just saying that it's likely Fitz doesn't think like you do.

Quite frankly, I have a hunch that there may be some other poor souls even right here on GH who think exactly the way I think about this very situation. I think you think you know a lot more than you really do know...but, maybe everybody thinks he will be a fool and jump to the nfl…

A lot of successful people do really stupid things every day. A few successful people really mean what they do say though. Fitz says he's going no where. I have heard him say that before. I believe him.

Last edited:

Quite frankly, I have a hunch that there may be some other poor souls even right here on GH who think exactly the way I think about this very situation. I think you think you know a lot more than you really do know...but, maybe everybody thinks he will be a fool and jump to the nfl…

A lot of successful people do really stupid things every day. A few successful people really mean what they do say though. Fitz says he's going no where. I have heard him say that before. I believe him.

My point is, successful, and usually driven, people are not usually wired like everyone else. The general consensus here is that staying at NU would be the safest and most secure option, economically almost equivalent, and the most comfortable choice for Fitzgerald. And all of that maybe completely true.

But a lot of people who have achieved the level of success Fitz has aren’t motivated by financial or comfortable/secure situations. They need to be challenged, and sometimes that means choosing risk and lack of security over safe, secure and financially comfortable.

My guess is he stays, but if he does it may not be for any of the reasons that people here think it will be.

My point is, successful, and usually driven, people are not usually wired like everyone else. The general consensus here is that staying at NU would be the safest and most secure option, economically almost equivalent, and the most comfortable choice for Fitzgerald. And all of that maybe completely true.

But a lot of people who have achieved the level of success Fitz has aren’t motivated by financial or comfortable/secure situations. They need to be challenged, and sometimes that means choosing risk and lack of security over safe, secure and financially comfortable.

My guess is he stays, but if he does it may not be for any of the reasons that people here think it will be.

It’s not like he’s accomplished everything at NU where he needs to go to the next level for bigger challenges and rewards. How about winning a Big Ten title, or going to a Rose Bowl (and winning it), or ultimately getting Northwestern into the CFB playoffs? I can’t believe a guy who’s as competitive as he is would be willing to walk away from his alma mater with some rather large holes in his resume.

The bigger question about NFL vs college for coaches is how much they hate recruiting.
No recruiting in the NFL

My sources (Carl Gerbschmidt) say Fitz will take the Packer job. He's grown weary of meathead muscle guy.

The bigger question about NFL vs college for coaches is how much they hate recruiting.
No recruiting in the NFL

You're correct for the most part. There is the free agency part where coaches will get involved in an attempt to lure someone to their franchise. To Some guy's point however, the year around recruiting effort has to be tiring and stressful that seems to never end.

Top Bottom