PJ Fleck on Sports Huddle 12-30-18

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Gopher FB Coach PJ Fleck appeared on the Sports Huddle on WCCO radio.

(note - PJ's phone connection wasn't the best - cut out a couple of times or got garbled. did the best I could)

Sid: Last year gave up 50+ pts to NW, WI - this year (something.....Sid being incoherent)
PJ: excited about future of the program, the players, what they accomplished. there were a lot of highs this year, lot of lows. the players kept their oars in water, kept rowing the boat. we had lot of guys injured, had the youngest team in america. we got beat by Illinois. then we won 3 of the last 4 games, won a bowl game. there are still many things that we can be better at. the future is really bright.

Sid: switch in defensive coordinators
PJ: the system is the same. I've had the same system for 7 years. I felt Robb Smith is a tremendous coach. But Joe Rossi was able to take us to the next step. Joe was facing a tremendous challenge. at the end of the year, he had so many young guys playing for the first time. last 3 games, lot of young guys put into that role. For Georgia Tech, had to change the whole defense. the players responded to the coaching

Sid: next year depth at RB
PJ: shannon and rodney will have no more years after next year. jim tressel told me you can never have too many RB's. shannon and rodney helped lead the young guys. Mo, Bryce - I think Mo had the most yds by a MN FR ever in a game. we need to create depth to have a championship program. we will have competitive depth going into next year. started 8 FR on offense. have some older guys to help lead the way. the '19 class will give us more depth. we'll have competitive depth at a lot of positions. working our way to becoming champions. Look at teams like Alabama, Clemson, they have depth everywhere. we'll continue to try and create that depth through recruiting and development.

Sid: can this team be better next year?
PJ: we can be a lot better. not saying technically - but need to work our tails off. need to be better today than we were yesterday. that's our main focus. we have a lot to get better at. can't wait to get to off-season workouts. right now, players get to rest, get their bodies back. the coaches take a short break, then start meeting to get the winter program started.

Mona: TE's as a group played well against GT.
PJ: started the year with a lot of inexperience, youth. saw a natural progression through the year. saw young guys get better. we were very inconsistent to start. weren't very good at the beginning of the year. TE's really improved. the coach did great job. Paulson, Witham, Kieft, Beebe. got to add to that group. maybe move a guy or two around from defensive side, move to TE. Spann-Ford a RS FR. feel really good about the group.

Max: change in signing day - how does it impact off-season?
PJ: once this is done, we push forward to 2020. free-agent market in grad transfers. sprint is still there, but it's from the end of the regular season to the bowl game. that was a rigorous 3 weeks. one of the most challenging things I've been a part of. the players handled that well. what they accomplished on and off the field. GPA 3.19 highest in the history of program. everybody killed it on GPA. never been a part of a program that had a GPA like that. proud of their accomplishments on and off the field.

Sid: improvement at Off line.
PJ: (couldn't understand first part of answer....) provide consistency, depth, get guys experience. I've walked people through what to expect from year 1, year 2, year 3. this is how you rebuild a program. don't take shortcuts. sometimes you take it on the chin. we took it on the chin through the first 4 conference games. didn't matter who was in there. the guys kept moving forward. next man up. starting to become a team. we're getting there.

Mona: when do you decide about position changes?
PJ: before spring ball. 13 of 23 guys in the new class are starting early. Howden is part of that '19 class technically. good to get guys to start early. we'll look at the positions they play. look at where do we need more depth. FR coming in will help.

Max: grad transfer rule?
PJ: NCAA is moving in right direction. making more changes in what qualifies, grades they have to have. normal transfer has to sit out a year. grad transfer can play right away. usually only 1 year. you're able to fill a hole with a guy who's played a lot. maybe coming down from top program. the names go into a portal. everyone in ncaa gets the portal. you look at who comes in there. has to be a right fit - fit our culture, program.

Sid: starting next season with best WR group in country.
PJ: that's an opinion. Tyler Johnson was a very raw athlete when we got him. Coach Simon did great job. TJ is not the fastest guy. he's got to be good with technique. that's difficult to obtain. we've seen many record-setting performances. youngest team in america. excited about this group.

Mona: change sides of field. // players names on back of jersey
PJ: (on jersey) we are the state of MN. it's important to see that on game day. we switch it up. we're playing for each other. give players freedom in how they do that. we'll look at that. like the bonding thing - team type of focus. part of that is the name on the back of jersey at times. give it to players to see if they want to do that. // (switch sides) Wanted to do that this year. we will do that in future. talked to season-ticket holders about that. if we do it, it will probably only be for one of the last two games. we have the ability to do that. there is a real change in temperature from one side to the other. I didn't think it was, but I went over there and there is a real difference. for this year, at the times we were playing, I didn't think it gave us that big of an advantage. will do what we can to put the team in a position to be successful.

Sid: did the extra bowl practices help for next year?
PJ: helps the offense a ton. these were not easy practices. the defense had to install a whole new defense. now, we understand option football. will play an option team next year in GA Southern. they have knowledge of that now. they understand it - we can go to it. it was a very physical 13 days. good for our defense. we became a lot more disciplined.

Sid: congratulations on fantastic coaching job. Murray's certificate.
PJ: happy holiday, happy new year. RTB, Ski-U-Mah, Go Gophers.

Thanks for the write up SON. There is much to be excited about regarding next year. I'm really looking forward to the spring practices.

During the Northwestern game this year, the change in temperature seemed obvious just by what the players were wearing on the sideline.

Seemed like a 20 degree difference.
Glad they are looking to change that.

Thanks again SON for the writeup.

Interesting comment about possible position switch from a defensive player to TE. I wonder if he has anyone in mind.

Sid: did the extra bowl practices help for next year?
PJ: helps the offense a ton. these were not easy practices. the defense had to install a whole new defense. now, we understand option football. will play an option team next year in GA Southern. they have knowledge of that now. they understand it - we can go to it. it was a very physical 13 days. good for our defense. we became a lot more disciplined.

That might be the biggest thing.

Awesome write up SON! Much material here.

Happy New Year, and thank you SON for transcribing the Sports Huddle.

Extra practices always help.

The team have to be feeling good about themselves in all the effort that they put in the classroom, into the practices, and the game. Not to mention doing meaningful charity and public appearance roles.

Next year's home side switch candidates in November are Penn State (11/9) and Wisconsin (11/30).

I think Coach and/or Coyle have indicated previously it wouldn't happen for a predicted cloudy day or night game.

I have mixed feelings about the admission. Part of me thinks it makes us tougher as it is now but my rational side says why yield any modicum of advantage to the opponent? Kind of like I-O-W-A's pink visitor's dressing room...

Thank you for the transcripts SON - I really appreciate the time and effort. I'm hearing Fleck's voice when I read his quotes. Very excited for next year. Go Gophers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the write up SON. There is much to be excited about regarding next year. I'm really looking forward to the spring practices.

Ditto

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For side switch to make sense for November games, a perfect alignment of three factors need to take place:

1. Has to be really cold (there have been some unseasonably warm November games)

2. Has to be sunny (November is one of the most cloudy months in MN)

3. Probably should be an 11:00 am kickoff (by mid/late November the sun angle is a non factor by roughly halftime of afternoon games)

So, there are some games where this makes sense to me but I feel it is far fewer than what a lot of people assume.

I get the feeling that Fleck can't wait to have Spann-ford out on the field. He seems to mention every single time.

Sid: Last year gave up 50+ pts to NW, WI - this year (something.....Sid being incoherent)
PJ: excited about future of the program, the players, what they accomplished. there were a lot of highs this year, lot of lows. the players kept their oars in water, kept rowing the boat. we had lot of guys injured, had the youngest team in america. we got beat by Illinois. then we won 3 of the last 4 games, won a bowl game. there are still many things that we can be better at. the future is really bright.

Here's to this being the last time we have to hear that line.

Thanks, shorty. Another fine job! Don't just switch sides for Penn State and Wisky. Install misters, fans, and a snow maker on their benches.

Interesting comment about possible position switch from a defensive player to TE. I wonder if he has anyone in mind.

With our TE's, the person would almost have to be one of the DEs.

It could, possibly, be one of our LBs, but they wouldn't be an ideal size.

Reigelsperger
Ahanotu
Renner
Abi N-Okonji

Reigelsperger
Ahanotu
Renner
Abi N-Okonji

A few other possibilities:
Bailey Schoenfelder
Mariano Sori-Marin
Trenton Guthrie
Micah Roane

Reigelsperger
Ahanotu
Renner
Abi N-Okonji

Richter

A few other possibilities:
Bailey Schoenfelder
Mariano Sori-Marin
Trenton Guthrie
Micah Roane

Good call.

Guthrie would have to gain some weight, but it's entirely possible.

Sori-Marin, it's possible, he fits the profile, but we are a bit thin at LBer, so it'll be interesting to see.

Thank you SON
Don’t understand the TR comments about being young and inexperienced. the 4 listed are 2. RS Jrs a RS So and RS FR. BSF was only true FR, with Beebe and Kieft getting quite a bit of time prior to this year. Those two were highest graded in Bowl game so they have proven to be valuable assists to the offense. Not sure why they didn’t get more run earlier in the year.
Since we are usually in a 1RB, 3WR 1 TE set possibly going to 2TE and 2 WR AND the Kirk C offense has never used the TE as a viable passing weapon, don’t know why we’d need to move anyone there as they could all be back next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know Alex Reigelsperger was injured this year and red shirted, but wondering if he will be on the two deeps next season. He was a pretty big recruit in the 2018 class.

It's sure nice that Fleck and Simon were able to turn that train wreck Tyler Johnson into a good receiver. It's also good that coach Fleck remembered to tell us that Johnson was useless when the Fleck crew arrived.

Sid: starting next season with best WR group in country.
PJ: that's an opinion. Tyler Johnson was a very raw athlete when we got him. Coach Simon did great job. TJ is not the fastest guy. he's got to be good with technique. that's difficult to obtain. we've seen many record-setting performances. youngest team in america. excited about this group.

It's sure nice that Fleck and Simon were able to turn that train wreck Tyler Johnson into a good receiver. It's also good that coach Fleck remembered to tell us that Johnson was useless when the Fleck crew arrived.

Is this what you're all upset about? Not sure where you're getting train wreck and useless from. Wasn't Johnson a QB at North? So when Fleck arrived Johnson had just finished his true freshman season, first as a full-time WR, and finished with 14 catches for 141 yards. Don't think it's a stretch to call him raw. I'm not seeing the slight here, either towards Tyler or the previous staff.

Top Bottom