Sid: Expect U to announce some cheaper ticket packages to fill up TCF Bank Stadium

I understand your point and that is unfortunate. I guess I am tired of reading the same thing from so many on this site - "If they lowered the prices, I'd buy tickets". There are many options for good seats at cheap prices. People are choosing not to go. And that is fine its their choice. But they are presenting a different situation than what is actually there. Good seats at low prices are available.

I wish season tickets were cheaper, but they aren't. I still find it enjoyable to have season tickets so I choose to buy them. The ticket price woe-is-me, how dare the ticket office act is getting old. Go to the games if you want to but stop making excuses.

People say "win and they will come." I believe that's true when it comes to more causal fans buying single game tickets. But when it comes to Gopher football and basketball, neither of which has a tradition of winning big, it's simple: it's all about season tickets. Not many people are buying even cheap tickets to see Northwestern or Purdue in November when it's 25 degrees and we have four or five wins.

Winning big is a terrible marketing strategy for a team that hasn't won big in 50 years.

I understand your point and that is unfortunate. I guess I am tired of reading the same thing from so many on this site - "If they lowered the prices, I'd buy tickets". There are many options for good seats at cheap prices. People are choosing not to go. And that is fine its their choice. But they are presenting a different situation than what is actually there. Good seats at low prices are available.

I wish season tickets were cheaper, but they aren't. I still find it enjoyable to have season tickets so I choose to buy them. The ticket price woe-is-me, how dare the ticket office act is getting old. Go to the games if you want to but stop making excuses.

Agree 100%. You can get a season ticket for 310.00. But. Most of you are probably too good to sit on a bleacher instead of a chair. If that’s the case rent one. The way most of you talk about the way you drink you probably spend 5 times that much on booze over the course of a year. What else do you wast money on? I too am sick of hearing how expensive tickets are. If you really wanted to be there you would find a way.

Winning big is a terrible marketing strategy for a team that hasn't won big in 50 years.

I completely agree with that and I am in no way endorsing the decision to raise the ticket prices. I think it was a stupid decision, but the prices are what they are. And if they haven't dropped the prices by now I'm not going to expect it anytime soon.

I completely agree with that and I am in no way endorsing the decision to raise the ticket prices. I think it was a stupid decision, but the prices are what they are. And if they haven't dropped the prices by now I'm not going to expect it anytime soon.

That's probably the key point right there.

great, get some cheap tickets and sit in your old seats.

You are assuming I don’t? I was a STH for almost 20-years. Since I dropped I have continued to attend games. Not as many. When I do I pay less for the same or better seats. Isn’t that the point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are assuming I don’t? I was a STH for almost 20-years. Since I dropped I have continued to attend games. Not as many. When I do I pay less for the same or better seats. Isn’t that the point?

I think the point one is: if you are fan, support the team by going to games (if possible)
Point two: the tickets prices are not going to change so let’s stop rehashing it. There are cheap tickets available.

Agree 100%. You can get a season ticket for 310.00. But. Most of you are probably too good to sit on a bleacher instead of a chair. If that’s the case rent one. The way most of you talk about the way you drink you probably spend 5 times that much on booze over the course of a year. What else do you wast money on? I too am sick of hearing how expensive tickets are. If you really wanted to be there you would find a way.

I really hope the U is working on a pricing/marketing strategy that is more clever than "you should do a better job of buying our product."

I'm afraid that the U is too focused on short term revenue. It seems like it is costing us season ticket holders and stadium atmosphere, and even if we make a few more bucks today, we might have substantially less revenue 15+ years from now because we won't have cultivated a loyal fan base.

Agree 100%. You can get a season ticket for 310.00. But. Most of you are probably too good to sit on a bleacher instead of a chair. If that’s the case rent one. <b>The way most of you talk about the way you drink you probably spend 5 times that much on booze over the course of a year. What else do you waste money on?</b> I too am sick of hearing how expensive tickets are. If you really wanted to be there you would find a way.

Waste? I have a very detailed theory on people that judge others on something like that. It’s not a flattering profile.

Waste? I have a very detailed theory on people that judge others on something like that. It’s not a flattering profile.

Like I care...especially coming from you.

If the main goal is to maximize revenue, would you rather have a 70% full stadium with an average ticket price of X or a 60% full stadium with an average ticket price of X + 25%? It's very basic.

People think that the U should prioritize filling the stadium, and voluntarily forgo revenue. It's really easy when it's not your money, right? And to top it off, people want the Gophers to remain competitive while simultaneously (and purposely) decreasing cash, the engine that drives competitiveness. Talk about moronic.

I have no doubt the Gophers the decision to trade attendance for dollars raised revenue short term. But after a 30% (or whatever it is) drop in season tickets? When they draw 15,000 to a game? At some point that math stops working. But the bigger cost is simply far fewer people giving a crap. In my circle Gopher revenue sports were once one of the hottest topics of conversation. Now it’s crickets. What’s that worth?It’s penny wise pound foolish.

Yeah. Dpoddolls analaysis is true. But forgive me if I don’t trust an entity to maximize profits when they managed to lose money selling beer.

After reading this thread I'm left with this question - where are all of you who dropped their tickets because its cheaper to buy on secondary markets? Get the cheaper tickets and still go to the games.

And for those of you who are expecting the ticket office to beg you to come back with some better deal or a return of your points, just stop. We all made choices when the price increase came and knew of the consequences of dropping the tickets. You lost your seats and your points, case closed.

You serious Clark?

Everyone has the right - and I mean the right - to make their own decisions about how to spend their own money.

I bought a used car for 7 grand, and dropped another grand putting a custom sound system in the car. My money, my choice. you may think it was a waste of money. I don't give a bleep what you think. That is how I chose to spend my money. And when I'm driving down the highway, it sounds bleepin' great.

Point being, if one people decides to purchase season tickets, that is their choice, and I will not criticize them. In return, I ask that you not criticize me if I choose not to buy season tickets. Your money, your choice. My money, my choice.

And if anyone starts trotting out the "you're not a real fan" BS, just stop. The Gophers need all the fans they can get - of any level or degree of intensity. The guy watching the game on TV cares just as much as the guy sitting on the 50 yard line. He just chose to spend his money in a different way.

If the main goal is to maximize revenue, would you rather have a 70% full stadium with an average ticket price of X or a 60% full stadium with an average ticket price of X + 25%? It's very basic.

People think that the U should prioritize filling the stadium, and voluntarily forgo revenue. It's really easy when it's not your money, right? And to top it off, people want the Gophers to remain competitive while simultaneously (and purposely) decreasing cash, the engine that drives competitiveness. Talk about moronic.

Actually, ticket prices is only part of the revenue equation. More folks attending the game (regardless of ticket price) means more parking and concession revenues for the U as well. I don’t know the % of those items, but in many venues that extra income is significant.

My point was and still is about people using the season ticket price increase as an excuse to not go to games. I've said all along that if you don't want to go to the games that's fine but it's your choice. Everyone acknowledges that secondary markets offer good seats at cheep prices, so if it is really all about the price then attendance wouldn't have dropped so drastically.

Stop using the price increase for season tickets as an excuse and just say you don't want to go. It's your choice (which again I've said from the beginning), but own your choice and stop making excuses.

Last edited:

People say "win and they will come." I believe that's true when it comes to more causal fans buying single game tickets. But when it comes to Gopher football and basketball, neither of which has a tradition of winning big, it's simple: it's all about season tickets. Not many people are buying even cheap tickets to see Northwestern or Purdue in November when it's 25 degrees and we have four or five wins.

This! The "donations" were, and still are, a mistake for a program like MN. I'm still paying for them, but I have questioned if it is worth it more and more when I could save a ton going through other avenues.

The former creep at the helm screwed up big time and they continue to pay for those mistakes. Winning will help to a point but the stadium will only be full again with a correction of the initial issue. I highly doubt that will ever happen.

My point was and still is about people using the season ticket price increase as an excuse to not go to games. I've said all along that if you don't want to go to the games that's fine but it's your choice. Everyone acknowledges that secondary markets offer good seats at cheep prices, so if it is really all about the price then attendance wouldn't have dropped so drastically.

Stop using the price increase for season tickets as an excuse and just say you don't want to go. It's your choice (which again I've said from the beginning), but own your choice and stop making excuses.

When I had season tickets I went to all the games - even those I wasn’t excited about. Now that I buy tickets a la carte I don’t even consider going to games I’m not excited about. No matter the cost. So yes, the increase in season ticket prices is absolutely the reason I attend fewer games. I’m not alone. There are a number of people that will always use tickets they paid for - that is why selling lots of ST is important to the U.

1. Roll back seat donations to pre-Teague prices.

2. Roll back season ticket prices to $275. People will pay that for a chairback and the guarantee of the same seats every week.

3. Single game tickets should be priced according to location and opponent. I'm thinking anywhere from $5 for endzone uppers against NMSU to $50 for anything between the 20s for a "name" B1G school.

4. Bring back "family packs" with 4 cheap seats, 4 hot dogs, and 4 sodas.

5. Do something about food/drink prices. Just look to the Atlanta Falcons or the Master's golf tournament for guidance on this. Reasonable prices plus a few promos here and there. How about "All You Can Eat" wristbands or $2 hot dog days for low-level nonconference opponents?

1. Roll back seat donations to pre-Teague prices.

2. Roll back season ticket prices to $275. People will pay that for a chairback and the guarantee of the same seats every week.

3. Single game tickets should be priced according to location and opponent. I'm thinking anywhere from $5 for endzone uppers against NMSU to $50 for anything between the 20s for a "name" B1G school.

4. Bring back "family packs" with 4 cheap seats, 4 hot dogs, and 4 sodas.

5. Do something about food/drink prices. Just look to the Atlanta Falcons or the Master's golf tournament for guidance on this. Reasonable prices plus a few promos here and there. How about "All You Can Eat" wristbands or $2 hot dog days for low-level nonconference opponents?

Yep, 100% right on. And aren't we the craft beer capital of the US? How about local breweries sell their beer at games $5-6? Stop selling the BudLight garbage for $10 and having profits to to big corporate, Aramark.

I'll take it another step: take most home games off T.V.

That is the number one reason why Minnesotans stay home. The Post-Dome Pussification factor. You could charge $10 for Wisconsin tickets and not get a full house in November weather.

That is the number one reason why Minnesotans stay home. The Post-Dome Pussification factor. You could charge $10 for Wisconsin tickets and not get a full house in November weather.

Didn't baseball avoid TV at times out of fear it would hit attendance and they found that didn't work?

I feel like that would just make them even more insignificant. People won’t go to the games. A small number might, but overall the team would just slide into oblivion. There are too many options around here.

I made this comment in another thread, but it fits here: when TCF was built, some people said it was too small for a B1G football stadium. In the long run, it may turn out that it was too big.

Part of the issue is the perception that tickets are readily available and cheap - which equals low value. Ideally, you want a perception that tickets are hard to find, and the longer you wait, the more they'll cost - like scalping tickets for a hot Broadway show or concert.

I suppose it's possible that someday, Gopher Football will become so popular that there will be a waiting list for season tickets, and people will pay more than face value to scalp tickets for big games. But, as of right now, there is no sense of urgency to get FB tickets, because there are lots of tickets available at a lower price.

Everyone has the right - and I mean the right - to make their own decisions about how to spend their own money.

I bought a used car for 7 grand, and dropped another grand putting a custom sound system in the car. My money, my choice. you may think it was a waste of money. I don't give a bleep what you think. That is how I chose to spend my money. And when I'm driving down the highway, it sounds bleepin' great.

Point being, if one people decides to purchase season tickets, that is their choice, and I will not criticize them. In return, I ask that you not criticize me if I choose not to buy season tickets. Your money, your choice. My money, my choice.

And if anyone starts trotting out the "you're not a real fan" BS, just stop. The Gophers need all the fans they can get - of any level or degree of intensity. The guy watching the game on TV cares just as much as the guy sitting on the 50 yard line. He just chose to spend his money in a different way.

No, you are not a real fan if choose not to buy season tickets when you can afford them and complain about the price.

No, you are not a real fan if choose not to buy season tickets when you can afford them and complain about the price.

You are the best fan. You don’t drink. You are just super duper Rickman. Matching that profile like a champ. I know you.

So, you have never been a fan of a team that you did not posses season tickets and questioned the pricing? Such a self absorbed post! Congrats, you have qualified for worst post of 2019.

Thanks for confirming my initial impression that you're an a$$ and an idiot. Nice job.

Rickman55 is a riot. One of two posters who thinks their head counts of attendance are more accurate than the scanned tickets numbers.

Thank you very much. I love it :). If you think I care what any of you think about me you are all sadly mistaken. Have a nice night.

Top Bottom