Sid: Expect U to announce some cheaper ticket packages to fill up TCF Bank Stadium

How many have renewed by now? I'd guess not many.
It will be interesting to see what the ending numbers will be without any change in pricing. Will the Wisconsin game and bowl game provide traction? It could spark interest, but people may have sticker shock. Pizza tickets should be in high demand this year.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The only reason I waited was because I wanted to take a chance on someone being crazy and tossing in the tax break again for 2019, and I didn't want to renew in 18 because of that ;)

Not likely, but doesn't cost me anything to wait.

Even so if the prices were going to change ... they've got some folks in limbo who paid already I'm sure.

They're already taking season ticket renewals... are people expecting refunds or something?

Already taking renewals and there is ZERO discount so Sid can write all he wants about cheap tickets knowing the few season ticket holders that are left are still paying the donation seating amounts. All it means is with more discounted seats available, the gap between what season ticket holders are paying (more) is wider than ever compared to people buying one game at a time (less). It seems like it should be just the opposite of that but here we are.

Already taking renewals and there is ZERO discount so Sid can write all he wants about cheap tickets knowing the few season ticket holders that are left are still paying the donation seating amounts. All it means is with more discounted seats available, the gap between what season ticket holders are paying (more) is wider than ever compared to people buying one game at a time (less). It seems like it should be just the opposite of that but here we are.

Yeah I suspect the discounts are ... pretty targeted in the end.

I’ve been tossing around the idea of renewing my tailgating spot, dropping my season tickets, and purchasing tickets through promotions, off the street, etc.

I think this Fall will mark my first time being a SEASON ticket holder since college (just before the bank). Looking forward to coming back.

I’m holding off buying Red Barron pizzas until the promo is announced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rumor has it there will be a ELITE special RTB red baron pizza with tickets inside. I may have imagined that.

I received the call today from the U of M marketing account representative that has called me previously after I dumped my tickets after the 2015 season when the Norwood Teague increases hit year#2.

The person respectfully asked if I was considering signing up for season tickets again and let me know there were some new deals.

When I asked specifically if I could have my old seats (or similar seats back in Section 112 back for less than the cost including the surcharges/donations in place when I quit he told me no, nothing had changed.

I asked why nothing had changed with the pricing, if Mark Coyle was in fact interesting in making things right. The person from the U deflected, and told that they hoped the great end to the season would inspire at the same cost or something along those lines.

After thanking this young person I hung up with the promise to reconsider in August, but let it known that i needed a lot more than this to entice me to return as a ST holder in the era of 15K in stadium attendance, and not in worse seats than I had from 2009 through 2015.

This confirms that Coyle is still taking bad advice on ticket prices and they re not taking the problems with their failed pricing model/ in game environment seriously at all. It is business as usual backed by huge TV money, with the rest of us dismissed as minor inconveniences.

They continue to to pretend they are able to charge the same or a little less than Iowa, Wisconsin or even some of the elite program prices forthe body of work we have seen at Minnesota. They are delusional.

Last edited:

Maybe for STH Red Baron could refund $2 per pizza purchased throughout the year. Eat a Red Baron pizza every day of the year and pay for your seat licensing. Everybody wins!

I still have three of those Red Baron Pizza ( I ate six - they were the microwave- small ones- edible0
) in my freezer. I should have axxxxd the U of M Marketing lackey if I could trade the pizza for a waiving of the fees to get my two E#112 seats back at a non-Notre Dame or non-Ohio State price

Last edited:

After reading this thread I'm left with this question - where are all of you who dropped their tickets because its cheaper to buy on secondary markets? Get the cheaper tickets and still go to the games.

And for those of you who are expecting the ticket office to beg you to come back with some better deal or a return of your points, just stop. We all made choices when the price increase came and knew of the consequences of dropping the tickets. You lost your seats and your points, case closed.

After reading this thread I'm left with this question - where are all of you who dropped their tickets because its cheaper to buy on secondary markets? Get the cheaper tickets and still go to the games.

And for those of you who are expecting the ticket office to beg you to come back with some better deal or a return of your points, just stop. We all made choices when the price increase came and knew of the consequences of dropping the tickets. You lost your seats and your points, case closed.

I personally decided that I prefer watching on TV and getting other items done on the majority of game days. I decided to not attend any games this year because I did not find them compelling. That's where I'm at.

And for those of you who are expecting the ticket office to beg you to come back with some better deal or a return of your points, just stop. We all made choices when the price increase came and knew of the consequences of dropping the tickets. <b>You lost your seats and your points, case closed.</b>

Not really. Doesn’t appear anyone is out there swooping up dropped tickets. Pretty sure I could have them back if I wished.

Bingo. You elucidate the problem perfectly. Price is not the issue. There are very cheap tickets on the secondary market for all but 2-3 games (max) per year. The issue is that some people expect the U to beg them for their business and to give them access to the games for next to nothing. Some act like the U should be paying them to come to the games and grace the rest of us with their presence.

And if you don't want to come, fine. But then you've forfeited your right to bitch about how empty the stadium is.

I personally decided that I prefer watching on TV and getting other items done on the majority of game days. I decided to not attend any games this year because I did not find them compelling. That's where I'm at.

but your compelled to post 2000 times on a fan site?

Not really. Doesn’t appear anyone is out there swooping up dropped tickets. Pretty sure I could have them back if I wished.

great, get some cheap tickets and sit in your old seats.

Bingo. You elucidate the problem perfectly. Price is not the issue. There are very cheap tickets on the secondary market for all but 2-3 games (max) per year. The issue is that some people expect the U to beg them for their business and to give them access to the games for next to nothing. Some act like the U should be paying them to come to the games and grace the rest of us with their presence.

And if you don't want to come, fine. But then you've forfeited your right to bitch about how empty the stadium is.

We aren't bitching, we're saying told you so.

I’d heard the deduction is now gone. If so, why bother with a ‘donation’ any more?

When they built TCF they nailed pricing. Who did they hire to build their model? Rehire same firm and figure out how to fill the damn stadium.

When you sell your house you want three offers. Not zero or one (priced to high) not ten (priced too low). If you get three and some bidding you know you got what it is worth.

Hire a firm to build a model that finds 55,000 willing buyers. If there is no waitlist you are charging too much, if there is a waitlist of 5,000 you are charging too little. The waitlist should also be evenly distributed across all types of seats - lower/upper, bench/chair, no park/ramp/lot, etc. so that you know you are maximizing revenue at every turn.

The AD MUST adopt a full stadium policy - even if it means embarrassingly low prices to start.

What the current policy fails to acknowledge is the value I and everyone else who likes sports puts on being surrounded by a stadium full of fans - especially in a comfortable stadium like TCF.

Informal poll question to prove my point:

What would you be willing to pay to watch a mid-season game against Purdue at TCF if you knew in advance that gate attendance would be,

15,000?
30,000?
45,000?
52,000?

Would anyone here not pay at least 2x for tickets to the same game - all other things equal - if they knew it was going to be a full house?

Maddening, that only GH sees it this way!

The ability to deduct the "donation" on your taxes is gone, as is the ability to deduct 50% of the tickets as a business expense. It is effecting all schools in terms of corporate/business sales, not just MN. But you're right, there's no point to the donation anymore. Scrap the whole thing and price the tickets for what you can sell them for.

I suspect we will soon see "Advertising" packages that come with free tickets to work around this.

"Told you so" to what? That a mediocre football team would have trouble filling seats? Alert the media!

Here's a dirty little secret - the Gophers will not fill the stadium on a consistent basis until they're consistently winning - even if the tickets were free. And they might not do so even then. Alabama is having trouble filling its stadium, and its fans a practically guaranteed a top 5 team every year as long as Saban is the coach.

"Told you so" to what? That a mediocre football team would have trouble filling seats? Alert the media!

Here's a dirty little secret - the Gophers will not fill the stadium on a consistent basis until they're consistently winning - even if the tickets were free. And they might not do so even then. Alabama is having trouble filling its stadium, and its fans a practically guaranteed a top 5 team every year as long as Saban is the coach.

Told you so that a dramatic change to pricing for a mediocre team in an environment where attendance is dropping overall was a monumentally stupid idea. As you yourself explain perfectly, they were going to be challenged to fill the stadium ANYWAY, so now you ask people to pay a lot more? Moronic.

And how much longer do we have to listen to you all say it? The price increase was a choice the U made and we all made a choice to pay it or not. Attendance is down which surprises nobody. If the team starts to win consistently people will come back at the current prices.

Told you so that a dramatic change to pricing for a mediocre team in an environment where attendance is dropping overall was a monumentally stupid idea. As you yourself explain perfectly, they were going to be challenged to fill the stadium ANYWAY, so now you ask people to pay a lot more? Moronic.

If the main goal is to maximize revenue, would you rather have a 70% full stadium with an average ticket price of X or a 60% full stadium with an average ticket price of X + 25%? It's very basic.

People think that the U should prioritize filling the stadium, and voluntarily forgo revenue. It's really easy when it's not your money, right? And to top it off, people want the Gophers to remain competitive while simultaneously (and purposely) decreasing cash, the engine that drives competitiveness. Talk about moronic.

Last edited:

This is the problem with losing season ticket holders; they stop going to games. We have kept our football tickets but gave up our basketball season tickets after 23 years. We had grand plans to attend the half dozen BB games we wanted to see each season at a lower price. We attended zero the first year, two the second, zero last year and I expect two this year. Our group of seven football ticket holders talk about giving up our season tickets and buying them cheaper off the street, but I'm resisting that because I know it won't happen.

The fact is, it becomes easy to stay home and watch it on TV. You can criticize that all you want, but that doesn't change the truth, and it's the U that's losing.

This is the problem with losing season ticket holders; they stop going to games. We have kept our football tickets but gave up our basketball season tickets after 23 years. We had grand plans to attend the half dozen BB games we wanted to see each season at a lower price. We attended zero the first year, two the second, zero last year and I expect two this year. Our group of seven football ticket holders talk about giving up our season tickets and buying them cheaper off the street, but I'm resisting that because I know it won't happen.

The fact is, it becomes easy to stay home and watch it on TV. You can criticize that all you want, but that doesn't change the truth, and it's the U that's losing.

I understand your point and that is unfortunate. I guess I am tired of reading the same thing from so many on this site - "If they lowered the prices, I'd buy tickets". There are many options for good seats at cheap prices. People are choosing not to go. And that is fine its their choice. But they are presenting a different situation than what is actually there. Good seats at low prices are available.

I wish season tickets were cheaper, but they aren't. I still find it enjoyable to have season tickets so I choose to buy them. The ticket price woe-is-me, how dare the ticket office act is getting old. Go to the games if you want to but stop making excuses.

Top Bottom