Sid: Expect U to announce some cheaper ticket packages to fill up TCF Bank Stadium

but to the U they are making more money with less people at the games and they like the money
Its about the money not the game experience

nothing changes until the money aspect is less of a goal and the focus is about the game experience.

someone put the cash before the demand and that is a not basic economics (which if someone from Carlson thought this ticket strategy up, might not be a good endorsement for the college)

It’s also stupid and shortsighted because nobody is lining up behind the current fans to take those high donation seats.

The U can lower prices and such but ultimately it is the Ws that count.

The U can't compete with no shows and the online market of folks dumping tickets that will ultimately always be cheaper until there are more Ws .... and folks aren't driving up those prices.

I wonder if actual fan attendance in spectator sports is in structural decline. Largely because of great competing multi-media options like HD TV and streaming that are only getting better. Combine that with increasing costs, the hassle of navigating gameday transportation, and overly-long gameday events that aren't fan friendly (TV timeouts, slow play, etc.); and you get empty stadiums except for die-hard fans and occasional attendees. A strong team would help stem that tide of course.

It's possible the gigantic stadiums like Michigan might become obsolete dinosaurs like many other formerly popular real estate types that eventually go out of style (large old-school department stores, main-street downtown hotels, anything in Detroit). Our very nice quaint stadium might be the sweet spot in the future.

I wonder if actual fan attendance in spectator sports is in structural decline. Largely because of great competing multi-media options like HD TV and streaming that are only getting better. Combine that with increasing costs, the hassle of navigating gameday transportation, and overly-long gameday events that aren't fan friendly (TV timeouts, slow play, etc.); and you get empty stadiums except for die-hard fans and occasional attendees. A strong team would help stem that tide of course.

It's possible the gigantic stadiums like Michigan might become obsolete dinosaurs like many other formerly popular real estate types that eventually go out of style (large old-school department stores, main-street downtown hotels, anything in Detroit). Our very nice quaint stadium might be the sweet spot in the future.

I agree 100% I believe that the current paradigm of season tickets and related going to the game/game-day atmosphere is evolving quickly and will be drastically different within a decade or so.

This will force colleges (and pro teams) to seriously analyze and reallocate revenue sources and related thinking.

Game day attendance and revenue will fall into a new category of experiences and the market will determine how much that costs. Filling a stadium will still be a goal and game-day atmosphere will still be important. Just how they go about it and what it costs will change drastically....

The U did the same thing last year by reducing the cost on section 246 with no donation. Here was the rub..... I contacted the ticket office explaining I was a former STH and would consider that section. They told me I had to wait until the renewal process was over then I could. Fair enough. However, when the renewal process was over I was contacted and offered only the last 3 rows (2-tix). I was told that many STHers had moved to that section so that was all that was left.

So, all the U accomplished was moving existing STHers to less expensive seats - reducing their revenue and not increasing attendance. Sure, it is possible some moved instead of dropping or added additional seats, but I’m guessing those #s were noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We’ve been considering season tickets. Going to see how this plays out though. Then I’ll decide. Plenty of seats available at TCF. No rush on my part.

Rockfish

The real irony here is that actual paid attendance is no longer vital to the program's bottom line, especially when the U apparently makes little money off concessions.

The real money is the TV revenue, which would make the program profitable even if no one showed up at the games.

So if gate revenue is of secondary importance, wouldn't it make sense to err on the side of low ticket prices, if for no other reason than a full stadium looks better on TV?

JTG

Good take on this. The U should be after increased attendance much moreso than gouging the ticket holders they have.
This just might be a once in a lifetime opportunity for them to boost attendance if they are smart. Currently, all four pro teams offer
an extremely mediocre product with teams on the decline. Most likely none will make the playoffs after making the playoffs the year before.
This just might be the first time in sports history this has happened to a major market with 4 teams.

There is an increased buzz surrounding the football team. The Gopherholers were in on the ground floor but there are more people realizing this
is a program on the rise and the ticket sales should follow - especially if there is smart sports marketing here. This is a golden opportunity to
increase attendance big time!

This can be done here. I watched Lou Holtz inherit a 1-10 team - one of the worst teams we have ever had here and fill up the MetroDome - 60,000
fans by the next season. If Fleck can continue in the right direction - this is going to be very fun to watch for fans because things could get a lot better here!

Being long time ST holders and now recently retired on a fixed income, we are forced to make more informed decisions. Gopher ST's are one item and I know there are other retiree's rowing the same boat.

It's not just the cost of the ST's/donation, but also the expense of driving 450 miles RT, meals and a couple of $11 Surly's.

We found someone to share our two ST's this Fall which made our decision to renew much easier. We will attempt to do the same in 19 and hope that works out for us. If not, we will likely join the growing and becoming more popular the "Ex-Gopher Season Ticket Gang" and hope all the games are on TV. Or make a couple of trips to TCF, hit the street early and buy cheap

In the meantime, we will pay attention to what Coyle decides to do and see how vital we really are to the future of the Gopher program.

Coyle needs to hear from each of us rather than just complaining on a message board.

Being long time ST holders and now recently retired on a fixed income, we are forced to make more informed decisions. Gopher ST's are one item and I know there are other retiree's rowing the same boat.

It's not just the cost of the ST's/donation, but also the expense of driving 450 miles RT, meals and a couple of $11 Surly's.

We found someone to share our two ST's this Fall which made our decision to renew much easier. We will attempt to do the same in 19 and hope that works out for us. If not, we will likely join the growing and becoming more popular the "Ex-Gopher Season Ticket Gang" and hope all the games are on TV. Or make a couple of trips to TCF, hit the street early and buy cheap

In the meantime, we will pay attention to what Coyle decides to do and see how vital we really are to the future of the Gopher program.

Coyle needs to hear from each of us rather than just complaining on a message board.

Good to see u back on here Bayfield - I remember you from way back and you were always a great poster. I would think Coyle would much rather have 45,000 fans in the stadium paying half the price than 22,000 fans paying the doubled price, even though revenues would be the same. He is making a big mistake trying to charge the inflated prices until the market comes back.

One other thing - I would rather have them give free tickets out to schools, youth football teams, etc. than seeing all the empty seats. You get the kids, you get future fans. That is how I first got to be a lifelong fan. It was 1972 and they just blasted Iowa 43-14 and I became a fan for life. Cal Stoll's first win!

Interesting. Many looking for the sweet deal. So if its going to be more economical to buy a 4 game pass rather than go to all the games, the U is going to lose more money yet. Bottom line is that they simply need to reduce the donation package to where people people will keep or purchase season tickets.

Yes the Gophers are going to get better and draw more interest, but the pocketbook trumps everything.

Last edited:

I gave up tickets this past year. Still not getting them until Fleck gets rid of RTB and his personal brand on uniforms. No other team in a Bowl has their coach’s brand on their helmets or uniforms. Only one coach is self-centered enough to think he’s bigger than the university he coaches at. If we get to a significant bowl I want to see our brand, not PJ’s, featured. That said, I don’t think PJ will get us to a significant bowl.

I gave up tickets this past year. Still not getting them until Fleck gets rid of RTB and his personal brand on uniforms. No other team in a Bowl has their coach’s brand on their helmets or uniforms. Only one coach is self-centered enough to think he’s bigger than the university he coaches at. If we get to a significant bowl I want to see our brand, not PJ’s, featured. That said, I don’t think PJ will get us to a significant bowl.

I doubt that you had tickets in the first place.

I doubt that you had tickets in the first place.

Yes, from time as a student until this year. Over twenty years. Been watching the Gophs for many years, including at Memorial Stadium with my dad as a little kid. Remember watching the first Barber running against the Ilini.

Geez did you get coal in your stocking? :rolleyes:

I don't think you ever had season tickets either.

I’ve had tickets since 2007. Like many, my group started with 10 and now it is down to 4. Most dropped directly to donations.

I wish the U could just admit that they were wrong and understand that they lost a large portion of the fan base.

All they have to do is recognize that tax laws have changed and adjust from there. They have a lot of money to recoup from the losses that were donations.

The facts are what the facts are, and unfortunately the real problem is a lack of interest in Gopher football.

Geez did you get coal in your stocking? :rolleyes:

I don't think you ever had season tickets either.

I’m not alone. When Charlie from the ticket office called me to sign up again and I told him the reason I did not want to get them again, he said he, “is hearing that a lot.” So, I’m not alone. Just because you love all things PJ, doesn’t mean everyone is buying his schtick.

I’m not alone. When Charlie from the ticket office called me to sign up again and I told him the reason I did not want to get them again, he said he, “is hearing that a lot.” So, I’m not alone. Just because you love all things PJ, doesn’t mean everyone is buying his schtick.

I'm sure you followed up with "get off my damn lawn" then slammed down the rotary phone.

I'm sure you followed up with "get off my damn lawn" then slammed down the rotary phone.

Nope, told him has a tough sell but doing a nice job. He really was.

It’s tough for you when people don’t agree with you isn’t it Panthadad. Do you yell at colleagues who disagree with you?

You and my dad would get along.

My dad wants all the football players with long hair cut it because he thinks they are gang members.

I had many of your same concerns early in the Fleck era as well, in the end, who cares? Just what the hell was our brand anyway? Most Gopher fans would have sold their soul for a great Gopher team, so dealing with a row in the water is not that big of deal. I think we will be formidable for many years to come.

Swallow your pride and enjoy the ride. Life is way too short to be upset about Flecks goofy mannerisms.

I had many of your same concerns early in the Fleck era as well, in the end, who cares? Just what the hell was our brand anyway? Most Gopher fans would have sold their soul for a great Gopher team, so dealing with a row in the water is not that big of deal. I think we will be formidable for many years to come.

Swallow your pride and enjoy the ride. Life is way too short to be upset about Flecks goofy mannerisms.

Nope. My biggest problem is I think he lacks integrity, and I can’t support that. Also, I don’t think he will win big here. He won’t out-recruit the Big Ten (12th in conference this year for average ranking), and he’s not going to out-coach enough people to win significantly.

Last edited:

Nope. My biggest problem is I think he lacks integrity, and I can’t support that. Also, I don’t think he will win big here. He won’t out-recruit the Big Ten (12th in conference this year for average ranking), and he’s not going to out-coach enough people to win significantly.

Silly reason for non renew. Consider this case closed.

Nope. My biggest problem is I think he lacks integrity, and I can’t support that.

This requires some explaining. You can yell at clouds all you want about how an oar on the helmet ruins everything for you, and I don't think anyone is too heartbroken to not see you at Gopher games, but please tell the class what specifically you think indicates that Fleck lacks integrity.

Last edited:

Top Bottom