Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default THEM by Ben Sasse

Are any of you familiar with Nebraska Senator Ben Sasse? A friend recommended his book entitled "Them."
    Sasse is an Ivy League and Oxford-educated Republican who many think aspires to the presidency. He has published his thoughts before and he now offers his prescription for how America can “heal”. Among other things, he urges us to put political tribalism on the backburner, to rediscover “human-to-human relationships”, to seek out community and to love our neighbors. Suffice to say, all this is easier said than done.

What makes "Them" worth the read is Sasse’s amalgam of realistic alarm and warning. In his words, “we are in a period of unprecedented upheaval. Community is collapsing, anxiety is building, and we’re distracting ourselves with artificial political hatreds.”

“That can’t endure” writes Sasse. “And if it does, America won’t.”
    Seems Sasse is a Republican who decrys President Trump and thinks Trump is bad for society.
    What are your thoughts?

he urges us to put political tribalism on the backburner, to rediscover “human-to-human relationships”, to seek out community and to love our neighbors. Suffice to say, all this is easier said than done.

What makes "Them" worth the read is Sasse’s amalgam of realistic alarm and warning. In his words, “we are in a period of unprecedented upheaval. Community is collapsing, anxiety is building, and we’re distracting ourselves with artificial political hatreds.”
    Non-sense. Sasse obviously hasn’t read this forum. It’s all hugs and kisses.

Trumpers hate Sasse b/c of his criticism of Trump’s behavior. But, he calls them like he sees them. He is not “establishment” b/c he’s pretty new to Wash DC, so that’s a label that doesn’t fit.

I like Sasse as he seems like he’s genuine and sincere, and I agree with much, if not most, of his politics.

Hard to argue with his desire for civility and perspective, but Trump is a reaction to the Left’s domination of the media and information flow. The Right is tired of having their values questioned and character demeaned. If Democrats, like Obama and Reid and the MSM, weren’t such arrogant pricks, Trump would never have been elected.

Blog Entries

Sasse is a phony. There isn't a single senator who opposes Trump, and he votes with Trump on everything.

His book is empty words thst ring hollow because his actions don't back any of it up. His desire for power and to stay in the GOP good graces is more important to him. His principles are weak.

Quote Originally Posted by TruthSeeker View Post
    Sasse is a phony. There isn't a single senator who opposes Trump, and he votes with Trump on everything.

His book is empty words thst ring hollow because his actions don't back any of it up. His desire for power and to stay in the GOP good graces is more important to him. His principles are weak.
    He’s no John McCain or Jeff Flake, but he hasn’t voted as consistently with Trump as most GOP Senators. Sasse vehemently opposes Trump’s Trade strategy.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...s-trump-score/

Sasse’s biggest issue with Trump is not as much political as personal.

Have you read his book or is this just your reaction?

Agreed. He’s just like Flake. Expresses “concern” about Trump and what he’s doing to the country and votes with him every time. I’d prefer to deal with the rest of the repub caucus that makes no pretense about its greed, racism and anti-democratic inclinations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MennoSota View Post
    Have you read his book or is this just your reaction?
    Yes. He doesn't practice what he preaches. Phony.

Sadly, I agree with this, although admittedly I’m a big fan of the WORDS said by both Sasse and Flake. They say the right things but lack the bravery to follow through.

The review says he's voted with Trump 85% of the time. Do you think all the things Trump has done are bad for society? I don't think you are pro-Trump if you vote your conscience and it turns up 85% of what the right thinks is good.

Default THEM by Ben Sasse

Quote Originally Posted by KillerGopherFan View Post
    Trumpers hate Sasse b/c of his criticism of Trump’s behavior. But, he calls them like he sees them. He is not “establishment” b/c he’s pretty new to Wash DC, so that’s a label that doesn’t fit.

I like Sasse as he seems like he’s genuine and sincere, and I agree with much, if not most, of his politics.

Hard to argue with his desire for civility and perspective, but Trump is a reaction to the Left’s domination of the media and information flow. The Right is tired of having their values questioned and character demeaned. If Democrats, like Obama and Reid and the MSM, weren’t such arrogant pricks, Trump would never have been elected.
    Obama is an uppity n1gger?
    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/ian-m...b_5401476.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Sportsfan24; 12-29-2018 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsfan24 View Post
    Obama is an uppity n1gger?
    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/ian-m...b_5401476.html

Reid? I love “code words” and dog whistles. They are basically “straw men” when you think about it.

I like what Sasse says, but I was very disappointed at how he disappeared during the Kavanaugh debacle despite being on the judiciary committee. He may indeed be a total phony. Still wouldn’t put him in with Flake who is a dink.

Blog Entries

+1. Sasse says the right things, but his actions prove him an "empty barrel" as John Kelly would say. Actually show a spine and stand up to Trump and then maybe your writing will be worth reading.

I think Sasse is another milquetoast, run-of-the mill Republican, along the lines of a McCabe or Romney. A paper-tiger conservative, funded by a slew of powerful corporate interests.

With that in mind, his opposition to tariffs & the USMCA, raise my eyebrow. He comes off like a mouthpiece for the Chamber of Commerce, when he speaks. The CoC is just a massive clearinghouse for corporate and foreign lobbying money. What is their agenda? Profits first, or America first? What is Sasse's?

Quote Originally Posted by Costa Rican Gopher View Post
    I think Sasse is another milquetoast, run-of-the mill Republican, along the lines of a McCabe or Romney. A paper-tiger conservative, funded by a slew of powerful corporate interests.

With that in mind, his opposition to tariffs & the USMCA, raise my eyebrow. He comes off like a mouthpiece for the Chamber of Commerce, when he speaks. The CoC is just a massive clearinghouse for corporate and foreign lobbying money. What is their agenda? Profits first, or America first? What is Sasse's?
    Your concern about foreign lobbying money is amusing and ironic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk