New Turf Next Year?

Schnauzer

Pretty Sure You are Wrong
Reaction score
Now that the soccer team has moved out, doesn’t the deal to host them for a couple years include new turf to Gopher FB’s specifications to be installed? I’m not sure if my memory is correct on this but I am hoping we can return to stitched, colored end zones and colored edges to the yard marking numbers.

It has been a long time with painted markings, dating back to hosting the Vikings.

Would this impact the heating coils?

That means it's time for one of my favorite topics to resurface this summer. Were the heating coils removed?

To answer your question. Not sure. I believe the contract with the Vikings called for replacing the turf when the Vikings left. I would imagine something similar would have been in place with MNUFC.

Agree, would love to return to more stitching and colorful field.

As long as they don’t do something like Boise State. I watched a game there this fall and could never get used to that awful blue field. I have to admit, though, that it was a blast watching the Boise offense. Their misdirection and trickery was magical. Made Colorado State defense look foolish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As long as they don’t do something like Boise State. I watched a game there this fall and could never get used to that awful blue field. I have to admit, though, that it was a blast watching the Boise offense. Their misdirection and trickery was magical. Made Colorado State defense look foolish.

How about a gold chrome field to match the helmets?

Last edited:

Have you seen what they did as far as new flooring in Williams Arena? Don't think it can't happen.

Yes, the turf is getting replaced. Same deal as the Vikes- the United are paying to replace it.

I wouldn’t mind seeing something a little different. The end zones always seemed a bit too bland.

If the new floor at Williams Arena offers any clue, the field will be a very light bleached strain of Kentucky Whitegrass.

They definitely need to go back to the original TCF turf with maroon end zones.

March 3, 2017 Trib: “When United is ready to move into its new $150 million facility in the Midway neighborhood, the team will have to pay up to $735,000 to remove the special soccer turf the U installed for the team, according to the contract. Though United originally hoped to make that move sometime in 2018, team officials have indicated recently that it is possible the new facility may not be ready until the 2019 season.”

March 3, 2017 Trib: “When United is ready to move into its new $150 million facility in the Midway neighborhood, the team will have to pay up to $735,000 to remove the special soccer turf the U installed for the team, according to the contract. Though United originally hoped to make that move sometime in 2018, team officials have indicated recently that it is possible the new facility may not be ready until the 2019 season.”

This is what I recalled so I hope it is still true. Also hope it goes back to colored end zones

This is what I recalled so I hope it is still true. Also hope it goes back to colored end zones

I'd think they would go with a very similar look to the current indoor facility field which does have maroon end zones.

I'd imagine the stadium turf will match exactly that of the practice field turf they just picked out and installed.gfb.jpg

Attachments

• gfb.jpg
    gfb.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 97

Have you seen what they did as far as new flooring in Williams Arena? Don't think it can't happen.
I hope to God they put oars in the end zone and F.A.M.I.L.Y. at the 35's.... [emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I'd imagine the stadium turf will match exactly that of the practice field turf they just picked out and installed.View attachment 5939

This works for me. I really want colored end zones, like you see in the Rose Bowl (I’ve loved seeing those end zones on New Year’s Day since I was a kid, and long to see MINNESOTA there someday). The end zone is your ultimate destination in football so they should look different than the rest of the field.

Is anyone else concerned that the heating coils are powered by spent nuclear power rods from Prairie Island? I could see some huge liability if there is some sort of accident. Sure, the energy is cheap but sure seems risky.

I like the blue turf that Boise has. Would love to see gold turf at TCF. It would bring publicity and help recruiting.

I like the blue turf that Boise has. Would love to see gold turf at TCF. It would bring publicity and help recruiting.

But do the players like it?

I don’t like Boise’s blue turf, but I do really like Eastern Washington’s red field. I could probably live with maroon turf with gold end zones but I think the opposite would be like Williams Arena. Gold turf would be too bright and make it hard to watch in TV I think.

I believe the heating coils are still in place. Would be rediculous if they took them out........especially for the safety of the players in November games.

I believe the heating coils are still in place. Would be rediculous if they took them out........especially for the safety of the players in November games.

What are the maintenance costs?

I don’t like Boise’s blue turf, but I do really like Eastern Washington’s red field. I could probably live with maroon turf with gold end zones but I think the opposite would be like Williams Arena. Gold turf would be too bright and make it hard to watch in TV I think.

The blue is simply horrific.
I simply can't watch games on that turf.

Maroon or gold turf would probably be easier to watch.

Ball would be easy to see with gold turf.

Top Bottom