Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Staples has had 2 turnovers in the last 3 games?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CutDownTheNet View Post
    If I were an assistant coach, my vote would be to play Perez more minutes than Staples, at least until I saw improvement in her defense and turnovers. If Lindsay wanted to continue to put in Staples as first guard off the bench to give her minutes so as to improve, I could understand that. But against a strong opponent I'd prefer to play the better player, namely Perez in my opinion.

Three Point Percentage (through game 13, @Michigan):

Brunson 6/16 = 37.5 %
    Pitts 27/77 = 35.1 %
    Perez 4/12 = 33.3 %
    Staples 10/33 = 30.3 %
    Bell 6/23 = 26.1 %
    Tomancova 1/4 = 25.0 %
    Byrne 3/16 = 18.8 %

[Note that Pitts started out the season a bit cold-shooting but then started heating up. In her best 3 games she shot 71.4 % from three. But factoring in the slow start, she officially falls between Brunson and Perez in three-point percentage. Also note that sample size is small for Brunson and Perez (and some others), so consider their stat lines more of an estimate then the others.]

Perez is currently as good as, or a better three-point shooter than Staples. She tends to shoot only when it's a good shot, whereas Staples fires less discriminately. Perez is a valuable defensive asset, whereas Staples not so much. Staples turns the ball over more frequently than Perez.
    I disagree. Perez is an OK option, I guess, but she's a senior who has never been a factor and seems unlikely ever to be one. Staples is a freshman who's apt to figure into the future of the program. In a way, both players are projects but it makes sense to give Staples the minutes, even if there may be a few hiccups, because the upside is much greater.

Staples has to play. But I'm less concerned about Staples than I am about Whalen figuring out how to get Pitts involved in the offense. It looked promising a few games ago-less so the last two.

Quote Originally Posted by thatjanelpick View Post
    I disagree. Perez is an OK option, I guess
    You shouldn’t have to guess. In the early games, I observed Perez skillfully taking a charge. She’s better than Staples in general on the defensive end and I’m sure she’s capable of taking more charges. Unless something drastic changes, I doubt we’ll ever see Staples take a charge. Not really seeing anything superior about Staples on the offensive side either.

but she's a senior who has never been a factor and seems unlikely ever to be one.
    Just like Lamke before this year?

Staples is a freshman who's apt to figure into the future of the program.
    Okay, so let’s play Bryne instead of Kaposi. It’s an apt analogy and makes about as much sense.

In a way, both players are projects but it makes sense to give Staples the minutes, even if there may be a few hiccups, because the upside is much greater.
    Project? How is a senior a project? This is her last year. I’m less concerned about the supposed upside than winning games this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius L Hoops View Post
    Staples has to play. But I'm less concerned about Staples than I am about Whalen figuring out how to get Pitts involved in the offense. It looked promising a few games ago-less so the last two.
    Staples should concern anybody who’s worried about the Gophers thin bench. A useful guard off the bench would have been a big help yesterday, and that’s going to become much more apparent as the season wears on. I know getting up whay early and time of day were probably factors yesterday, but the starters in general really looked tired and it was only the second Big Ten game of the season.
    Last edited by Shades; 01-01-2019 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shakenbake View Post
    Staples has had 2 turnovers in the last 3 games?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    That's a definite improvement from her 5 turnovers in 24 minutes in the Coppin State game against a weak opponent. Credit her for working on ball control.

Duly noted that Perez is a senior who's never been a factor. But since she' a JC transfer, that's tantamount to saying Stallings hardly ever played her, which is a truism, but Marlene had no need to play her. She had Carlie Jo plus a healthy Diva available plus Jaz ahead of her on the bench. So that's more a description of talent pool than a reflection on Perez potential.

Last year, I for one found myself wishing Marlene would not run her starting guards for 38 minutes so that Jaz and Irene could get more minutes and develop their craft - as I thought both of them had great potential. The latter thought has already been proven out this year for Jaz.

But this year we have an injured Diva and no depth at the guard position. Or do we? Maybe with Staples and Perez we have more depth than we thought.

I say play them both. Play Staples mostly against weak B1G teams so she can continue to develop, as she is the future. Play Perez mostly against strong B1G teams, since she plays better right now.

Or, play them both equally, rotating Staples as sub for the dual point guards, and Perez as sub for Pitts, since she's more of a shooting guard or small forward anyway. It just makes no sense to only put Perez in for the last 2 minutes of a won game, when she has talents that can help us win games .

I simply don't get the enthusiasm for Perez. We've barely seen her. The coaches see her a lot. Maybe they know something?

Whatever they may be seeing hasn’t translated to game time when it really matters. That’s what I’m seeing.

I’m expecting a little tougher questions from the reporters after this loss. More probing about Hubbard’s return and whether her rehab will be expedited. Oh, who am I kidding?

I don't have the coaching gene and only played sparingly in high school, so my point of view is that of more of a fan. I have to say that whenever I saw Perez in the game, she seemed to be a non-factor. She didn't score, rebound, make steals. The ball was rarely going through her. So I expected that she would see less time as the coaches got more comfortable with Staples. But Staples apparently needs more development and it is not coming quick enough. Maybe having a player on the floor that isn't making much of a noticeable impact is better?

The stats say Perez is slightly better than Staples in terms of turnovers. That's it.
    Per minute:
    Staples (204 total minutes)
    .254 points
    .083 rebounds
    .088 turnovers
    .068 assists

Perez (132 total minutes)
    .166 points
    .030 rebounds
    .060 turnovers
    .068 assists

Blog Entries

They need to find time to play both Staples and Perez because they will need them both down the stretch and if they make it into the NCAA tournament. Even with Diva back in the lineup, a strong bench contribution will be critical.
    Welcome to Badger Road Kill Country!

Quote Originally Posted by Donovan View Post
    Agree, that Michigan press was very effective. Do women’s teams still bring in some men to practice against? I think we need to do that and have them really press them.
    Yes, you are correct. In fact, the Lady Gophers practice pretty much every practice (excluding shootarounds) against a male practice team that they call "the Scout Team" or "Scout Squad." The name comes from the fact that after watching film and otherwise scouting the next opponent, in next practice they will ask Scout-Team members to play like certain players of their next opponent.

The Scout Squad is pretty good. We got to see them play this summer in the exhibition open scrimmage. They need to use a male team to practice against since there just aren't very many good female hoopers around town. The female hoopsters that are almost good enough are all playing Div III ball for a MIAC team. BTW, the Lynx also use a male practice squad.

And for sure they'll be having the Practice Squad run various presses on them in upcoming practices. In a non-league game earlier this year the Gophers initially didn't respond well to a press, but then were able to break it handily after Whay called timeout and instructed them on some adjustments. The latter worked so well that we started getting fast breaks off their press, and they were forced to take off the press. Don't know if the team just forgot those adjustments, or if Michigan was a better pressing team.
    Last edited by CutDownTheNet; 01-01-2019 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ignatius L Hoops View Post
    Iggy makes a great point about getting Pitts involved again, as per the 3 games where she was intensely involved and shot over 70% from three.

Clearly, the Michigan game was an oddball game for Destiny. As far as two-point shots go, she attempted 7 and got fouled on one, resulting in her single point off two free-throw attempts. She missed the other 6 two-pointers, which is very unusual for her. But that's the weird nature of probability some times. Her twos are almost always off the dribble.

Her threes are set shots, so I consider those a fundamentally different shot. Just because she's weirdly cold on twos, doesn't necessarily imply she would also be cold on threes. She might well be her season average 35% on threes. Or she might even be shooting her three-hot-game 71% from deep. In the former case, she would be contributing an average 1.05 points per trey attempt. In the latter case, she would be contributing 2.13 points per trey attempt. A reminder: 2.13 points is more than one can possibly score off from a two-point shot attempt. And way more than the average 0.571 points Bell was contributing with each of her 18 shot attempts.

So how is it, exactly, that in 39 minutes of Pitts play, her teammates did not set her up for a single three-point shot attempt? This seems not only weird, but I would say, bordering on crazy.
    Last edited by CutDownTheNet; 01-01-2019 at 10:11 PM.