Reusses: Rose Bowl used to be the ultimate in Big Ten football universe

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Pat:

The Rose Bowl was played without teams from the Big Ten and Pac-10 for the first time in 55 years on Jan. 3, 2002, when Miami (37) and Nebraska (14) played for the national championship.

All you have to know about the current Rose Bowl: Urban Meyer has been the dominant force in the Big Ten in seven seasons at Ohio State, and his Buckeyes will be in Pasadena on New Year’s for the first time Tuesday.

I’m not complaining about the playoff and previous attempts to crown a champion on the field.

I’m simply lamenting how great it was when there was nothing more in the football universe for a Big Ten team than playing in the Rose Bowl, in the world’s greatest stadium, in a setting as plush and spectacular as only could be imagined on the old Philco.

http://www.startribune.com/rose-bowl-used-to-be-the-ultimate-in-big-ten-football-universe/503642512/

Go Gophers!!

While I tend to agree with him, I am going to guess eventually the Rose Bowl gets moved out of the Rose Bowl and into a new stadium like the orange bowl and cotton bowl have.

While I tend to agree with him, I am going to guess eventually the Rose Bowl gets moved out of the Rose Bowl and into a new stadium like the orange bowl and cotton bowl have.

I do think that the CFP took away the real Rose Bowl experience. Wish we had done it 15 years ago. Oh well.

This could be exactly right. For some reason I want to say that the Rose Bowl is different, that the stadium is too classic, nothing is wrong with it, etc. But there's really no good reason it won't eventually end up in the new Rams/Chargers stadium.

In one sense it would've been nice to have the national championship rotate between the two biggest, most important bowls, the Rose and Sugar. But that cat was let out of the bag with the BCS. And then the CFP did't even have the championship as a bowl game, at all. The cat is out of the bag and run over.

Now the Rose Bowl is just a cash cow for the Big Ten. It largely doesn't "matter", but they lean heavily on its history to market it as something important, hoping for high viewership that in turn fuels the big payday.

Yes, it's lost some luster. Personally, I still can't wait to watch MN play in a Rose Bowl. I'll definitely be there and I literally might shed a tear.

While this may be true, i hope not. It would be sad. There's nothing like that setting - the canyon, the mountains - and nothing like the historically rich community of Pasadena. I love LA, and within LA there's no area i like better than that general area.

This may happen eventually, but most likely not for quite sometime. They just finished a $183 million renovation in 2016, so if it's going to happen, it won't go without a fight.

This may happen eventually, but most likely not for quite sometime. They just finished a $183 million renovation in 2016, so if it's going to happen, it won't go without a fight.

Didn’t know that. I hope they hold off the charger/ram stadium

Everything was better in the good old days. Get off my lawn. Yawn. Deal with it old man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The sad part is IF the Gophers win the B10, it will be a year where we don't get to go to the Rose Bowl.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Top Bottom