30 for 30 Documentary on Bobby Knight

BleedGopher

Reaction score
I finally had a chance to watch the Knight 30 for 30, wow, what a bad man he is. I had forgotten the intensity in which the entire IU administration had denied Neil Reed's chocking claim. And then they suspended him only 3 games. The cult of personality at IU is very similar to what we've seen with other power coaches at big time programs. I don't remember, did Texas Tech take any heat for hiring Knight or was all forgiven nationally quickly?

What a sad and pathetic man he is. Nice to see that Reed found peace and impacted so many before his untimely passing.

Go Gophers!!

For the most part, it was what I expected: a biased hatchet job by the Loony Left media. Basically, they tried to connect Reed's death to the treatment by Knight. That's an absolute joke. Bleed, you're a lefty so I expect this reaction by you.

I finally had a chance to watch the Knight 30 for 30, wow, what a bad man he is. I had forgotten the intensity in which the entire IU administration had denied Neil Reed's chocking claim. And then they suspended him only 3 games. The cult of personality at IU is very similar to what we've seen with other power coaches at big time programs. I don't remember, did Texas Tech take any heat for hiring Knight or was all forgiven nationally quickly?

What a sad and pathetic man he is. Nice to see that Reed found peace and impacted so many before his untimely passing.

Go Gophers!!

And some people call it hard love and think current players are soft when they can’t handle it. Coaching can be tough, strict, direct, full of discipline and have high expectations, but it shouldn’t be abusive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I view the coaching position more as a mentor/coach than just a 100% dick who has the potential to abuse you. You can't just rage all the time at your players if something doesn't go right. Knight is a miserable man but I did like him when he commentated on games.

For the most part, it was what I expected: a biased hatchet job by the Loony Left media. Basically, they tried to connect Reed's death to the treatment by Knight. That's an absolute joke. Bleed, you're a lefty so I expect this reaction by you.

It was quite biased, but that is to be expected considering the source. I don't think he was necessarily a bad man but he was clearly an unhappy and angry man that wanted his ass kissed every step of the way. It was also annoying to hear the reporter/narrator's personal feelings as if anyone tuned in because of him.

And the winner of Les Bolstad’s ******bag Award of the Day goes to...Les Bolstad himself!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He was always super intense but after '87 his desire to win overwhelmed all else. Became a bully and lost those that had stood up to him. A full accounting would include all the good he did for Charities, for ex-players. He has legions of former players that love him and most coaches will tell you that he was the best teacher they ever saw when that is what he was doing. But you can not choke or de-humanize players. From 1966 -1988 it was about the teaching, his clinics were legendary, practices even better.

It was quite biased, but that is to be expected considering the source. I don't think he was necessarily a bad man but he was clearly an unhappy and angry man that wanted his ass kissed every step of the way. It was also annoying to hear the reporter/narrator's personal feelings as if anyone tuned in because of him.
Correct, it was also called the last days of knight. It was supposed to be about the end. Knight fell into a trap that a lot of greats do. They become resisted the to change. That typically becomes the demise of those individuals. Knight did a lot of great things, but to see him as anything but a narassitic a hole during the end of his tenure a team Indiana is ludicrous and ignorant. He's also kept true by ditching his former players and fans at Indiana by basically abandoning them since he wasn't booted out.

All of those 30/30 documentaries are "point of view" and by definition "biased." The whole premise of it was for the guy who made it to tell his version of the story. I didn't see it (not sure if it has shown up on real TV yet, or is still on ESPN+ only-used as a carrot to get subscribers) but I did hear a lengthy interview of the film maker, and it sounded interesting. The only hatchet wielded against Knight was by himself, and it wouldn't take a lot of analysis to figure that out. His anger launched into bad behavior, which has to be nearly undisputed. Tapping him for the early death of a former player seems over the top if that is what really happened. Somewhere along the line he went off the rails and it took too long to call him on it. That's too bad for a great career, a guy who didn't cheat, and obviously produced a lot of good players and citizens over the years.

I don't like EPSN's editorial slants or the conclusions reached on some of the 30/30 shows, but hats off to them for wanting to actually tell a story in some depth. That's a dying art in our culture.

Go Gophers!!

I remember going to Williams Arena for games against Indiana. You would watch Knight badgering the refs all game long and they did nothing. You would watch Dutcher sit quietly while all of this was going on. I hated Knight, but if he coached the Gophers who knows how I would have felt.

In fairness Knight-like behavior was not that different from many other coaches. I remember on my high school football team (mid-60's) coaches yelling, screaming, pushing and grabbing kids all of the time. The way that I was taught a 3-point stance was my coach ran and hit me as hard as he could causing me to do an infinite amount of backwards somersaults. I learned pretty quick after that.

Knight just did it on a bigger stage. Knight did it grand-fashion, throwing chairs across the floor during a televised game.

Of course you saw it that way.

The bold didn't happen that way at all.

Only Les turns it into a Right v. Left thing.

I watched this 30/30 a few weeks ago when it came out and was hoping to see something that gave me new insights into Bob Knight.

Instead I saw very symathetic Neil Reed story, and a secondary story about this CNN reporter. I found the whole thing be be underwhelming and it told me almost nothing new about Knight. This film was supposed to be about Knight, but no one really close to BK was even interviewed, or at least prominently featured outside the contest of the Reed incident. It was no mystery that BK was difficult. If I had any talent, I never would have agreed to have played for BK, but a lot of players did, and a number of them stand by him to his day. (Q Buckner, I. Thomas, plus the guy Sid wanted us to take over JR Rider, forgot his name, ect)

I know two people that spent some time with Knight and he is not a monster, at least according to them. Is Knight a stubborn , angry , bitter old man? The answer is probably yes, but this story did little to entertain me with new informaton. The Indiana Administration looks worse than BK in this "film".

Last edited:

I watched this 30/30 a few weeks ago when it came out and was hoping to see something that gave me new insights into Bob Knight.

Instead I saw very symathetic Neil Reed story, and a secondary story about this CNN reporter. I found the whole thing be be underwhelming and it told me almost nothing new about Knight. This film was supposed to be about Knight, but no one really close to BK was even interviewed, or at least prominently featured outside the contest of the Reed incident. It was no mystery that BK was difficult. If I had any talent, I never would have agreed to have played for BK, but a lot of players did, and a number of them stand by him to his day. (Q Buckner, I. Thomas, plus the guy Sid wanted us to take over JR Rider, forgot his name, ect)

I know two people that spent some time with Knight and he is not a monster, at least according to them. Is Knight a stubborn , angry , bitter old man? The answer is probably yes, but this story did little to entertain me with new informaton. The Indiana Administration looks worse than BK in this "film".

It was actually called "The last days of Knight", so I don't think it was meant to ever be fully or solely about him. Hence why they didn't have a ton of supporters of him. ESPN's advertising did mislead most including myself into expecting something different. Agree it was nothing really new and it was good to see Indiana's admin look bad too as they played a part in this getting to what it was. Definitely on my lower tier of 30 fo 30s.

Top Bottom