Brohm and Purdue

So Brohm took over a worse team, has won almost twice as many B1G games, has a bigger signature win, has better recruiting rankings, has been offered other jobs, and did it all in West Lafayette —- yet some feel it makes sense to mock those who felt the “Golden Boy” was a better hire. Precious indeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-A worse team with a much better qb situation.
-twice as many B1G games, yet only one more win overall.
-great signature win, but it came in a 6 win season where they lost to EMU.
-has better recruiting rankings this year, worse last two years.
-has been offered a job at his alma mater and where else?
-all in West Lafayette...is that supposed to be a tougher place to win than in Minnesota?

oh yeah, and 41-10 happened.

Last edited:

-all in West Lafayette...is that supposed to be a tougher place to win than in Minnesota?

Everyone can see that Brohm is rehearsing for the NFL by hiding his play calls behind his play sheet. Hey, Jeff when is the last time you had a lip reader in your stadium? What s joke.

Yep, the Boilers got creamed yesterday and it reflects poorly on the Coach.

A thought experiment would be if the Gophers went to the Music City Bowl against Auburn instead of Purdue...both teams had overall records of 6-6.

Just speculating that we wouldn't win that contest, then how we lost would really flavor the view of the HC in this hypothetical.

I guess my thinking is Purdue is certainly better than yesterday's performance. My guess is that tOSU fans certainly think that...for their own ego's sake...

In the preceding four years before Brohm and Fleck were hired, Purdue had nine wins total...Gophers had 31.

In the preceding four years before Brohm and Fleck were hired, Purdue had nine wins total...Gophers had 31.

Minnesota also has 7 national titles.
Purdue has 1.

Tell me what? That a win in Madison over one of the 3 truly average teams the Badgers have had in 20 years in significant?

You mean the same one who was ranked in the top five at the beginning of the season who lost to a below average Gophers team? Moreover, it will be a signature win in the years ahead because it brought the axe back for the first time in years.

Brohm was a little more aggressive with transfers and grad transfers and jucos than PJ. Also Brohm played more true frosh in 2017, while we saved redshirts on Morgan, Andries, CAB, Ibrahim, Otomewo, Mafe. Both last year and this year, Brohm had transfers playing big role...

we got OJ Smith and Chris Williamson and Royal Silver, but all three sat in 2017...all three helped in 2018 (took a while on Williamson this year) and all three should go again in 2019...hoping Smith problems aren’t reoccurring...we got Dickson, but he sat in 2018, hopefully he helps in 2019...we got no help from Ben Davis, Vic Viramontes.

We have gone juco route with Schad and Clemmons for 2019.

Last edited:

So Brohm took over a worse team, has won almost twice as many B1G games, has a bigger signature win, has better recruiting rankings, has been offered other jobs, and did it all in West Lafayette —- yet some feel it makes sense to mock those who felt the “Golden Boy” was a better hire. Precious indeed.

Even assuming that all of your conclusions are correct, isn’t it too early too call him a GREAT coach? Doesn’t he need to have a larger body of work?

So when an earlier poster laughed when he was called a great coach it wasn’t meant to say he was a bad coach. It may have been a response to it being too early and that he just got his arse kicked and was out coached in the last game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1. Agreed. Worse situation. He made a lot of a better (not sure how much better) QB situation.
2. B1G games compare common opponents at the same level. NC games do not always.
3. Yep. Beat tOSU. Tough to talk that one down.
4. Yep. Truth be told I have more confidence in PJ’s recruiting anyway. I don’t see a difference between 25 and 37. It is all about need and fit at that point.
5. No where that I know of. Didn’t claim anywhere else.
6. Absolutely, 100% yes it is harder to recruit to Purdue than MN. For many reasons.
7. 17-31 did too.

I don’t even know which I would prefer at this point. I think they are both great coaches. Just found the idea of starting a thread to mock anyone who thought Brohm was a better hire very premature, knee-jerk, and ridiculous at best.

Even assuming that all of your conclusions are correct, isn’t it too early too call him a GREAT coach? Doesn’t he need to have a larger body of work?

So when an earlier poster laughed when he was called a great coach it wasn’t meant to say he was a bad coach. It may have been a response to it being too early and that he just got his arse kicked and was out coached in the last game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Probably too soon, yes.

It's still way too early to draw conclusions on this one. But I think it's clear that while Brohm probably deserved a good deal of praise for what he's accomplished at Purdue, those who were using that to mock PJ are starting to look very foolish. Yes, for a season and a half of their tenures, most people probably would've told you they'd take Brohm. But how about now? Which program's trajectory would a neutral party buy stock in? I have to guess MN would take that comparison at this point. But hey, only time will tell.

Brohm did get the fan base engaged...they had some really good crowds this year...after Nebraska, Illini games, PJ had lost more fans than he had gained...Purdue curb stompingAxe win should help...get off to a good start with the cakewalk non con and Purdue and Illini and hope for 5-0 and an engaged home crowd for melting the Frost at TCF on October 12.

They are certainly allowed to be young and inconsistent. Issue with that analysis being that they are veteran and inconsistent.

I would say they are about even through two seasons.

If Brohm didn’t lay an egg against Eastern Michigan I’d probably give him the edge.
If Minnesota didn’t crap the bed two seasons ago in West Lafayette it’d be Fleck and it wouldn’t be close.

Veteran? They just about lost their entire defense after 2017.
Wouldn’t be close? They have better wins, more (Power 5) wins. They have some brutal losses vs us, Auburn. We have...a lot more brutal losses.
Brohm is a better recruiter than PJ (on paper).

Like I said earlier we finished strong, they finished weakly and there’s no question who has more momentum heading into 2019. This thread is more revionist history.

Brohm did get the fan base engaged...they had some really good crowds this year...after Nebraska, Illini games, PJ had lost more fans than he had gained...Purdue curb stompingAxe win should help...get off to a good start with the cakewalk non con and Purdue and Illini and hope for 5-0 and an engaged home crowd for melting the Frost at TCF on October 12.

Glad to see him get the fan base engaged. Kids today keep telling me they would rather watch people play video games than actually watch sports in person or on television. I guess E Sports are the way of the future.

In the end, Purdue vs Minnesota only matters when they play each other, and if they are trying to recruit the same prospects. Other than that, what Purdue does - or doesn't do - does not directly impact Minnesota. And what Minnesota does - or doesn't do - does not directly impact Purdue.

There may be an indirect impact, if, say, the Gophers are fighting WI for a division title and Purdue beats WI, that could help the Gophers. Or the reverse, if Purdue is fighting IA for a division title and the Gophers beat IA.

Let each program do its own thing, and in the end, we will see which program has more success.

Wouldn’t be close? They have better wins, more (Power 5) wins. They have some brutal losses vs us, Auburn. We have...a lot more brutal losses.

Like I said earlier we finished strong, they finished weakly and there’s no question who has more momentum heading into 2019. This thread is more revionist history.

Well, there is no such thing as momentum don't you know?

This thread certainly is far removed from the kumbaya experienced on the threads after the GT win.:D

If we’re going to go down the irrational retribution route perhaps a thread could be started mocking those that thought the slow, confused MN defense 2017-2018 was all about youth, lack of talent, and inexperience. At least one is featured in this thread.

Like how some posters want to throw dirt on Purdue after a big loss despite our multiple big losses this year. They have a top 25 recruiting class and might go higher if they sign David Bell, we’re down to 37 and might go lower.

Okey Dokey. If you think he was saying it was “precious” when people called him great because he is only good, then we will just have to disagree.

I think he's a solid coach but he has to do a lot more to be considered great in my mind. Guys like Saban and Dabo are great IMO.

Like how some posters want to throw dirt on Purdue after a big loss despite our multiple big losses this year. They have a top 25 recruiting class and might go higher if they sign David Bell, we’re down to 37 and might go lower.

Haha. Yup. I think the Big Ten West could be really fun over the next few years.

I think he's a solid coach but he has to do a lot more to be considered great in my mind. Guys like Saban and Dabo are great IMO.

I hate rational posts that expose when I have overstated something.

Many people, including 95% of Purdue fans...would say Purdue is a better job than Minnesota.
I would disagree with that but I’m biased.

They’ve been pretty even so far.

If Fleck has a better overall record and two head to head wins. Now question the evaluation wouldn’t be close through two years.
So yes, if a couple of plays went different in the last 3 minutes last year...it’d be Fleck and it wouldn’t be close.

That’s why I think it’s pretty close.

In terms of veteran team. Look at Purdue’s team two deeps particularly on offense and tell me they aren’t veteran. They’re young on defense but they’re offense with the exception of one guy is an old offense.

1. Agreed. Worse situation. He made a lot of a better (not sure how much better) QB situation.
2. B1G games compare common opponents at the same level. NC games do not always.
3. Yep. Beat tOSU. Tough to talk that one down.
4. Yep. Truth be told I have more confidence in PJ’s recruiting anyway. I don’t see a difference between 25 and 37. It is all about need and fit at that point.
5. No where that I know of. Didn’t claim anywhere else.
6. Absolutely, 100% yes it is harder to recruit to Purdue than MN. For many reasons.
7. 17-31 did too.

I don’t even know which I would prefer at this point. I think they are both great coaches. Just found the idea of starting a thread to mock anyone who thought Brohm was a better hire very premature, knee-jerk, and ridiculous at best.

5. You said offered other jobs, as in more than one other job.
6. Based on what? Just your opinion, nothing factual.
7. 17-31, on the road with a walk on qb in which we almost won.

I think starting a thread is appropriate. Threads were started before year 1 was over to state how Brohm was so much better, why can't I start one after year two to say that was ridiculous?

If you look at both teams, who would you say had a better season? Purdue had the bigger win but MN had the much better ending.

Either way, I think the fan bases of both teams should be excited for the future.

If you look at both teams, who would you say had a better season? Purdue had the bigger win but MN had the much better ending.

Either way, I think the fan bases of both teams should be excited for the future.
They were about even. Purdue’s ups were higher. Lows were lower.
They were about even last year two. Last year Purdue won 7 and Mn won 5, but take away about 3 plays and that’s flipped.

Through two years they are close to even. Marginal edge to Brohm.
Brohm had a tougher task in year one too.

As I’ve said, I think Brohm is the better coach if I had to take a coach for one game. I’d rather have Fleck for Minnesota. I think Brohm is a mover and will be gone to a big time program.

Top Bottom