Brohm and Purdue

btowngopher

Reaction score
Fleck’s not looking so bad compared to the golden boy now. I recall a lot people propping Brohm up as the standard for PJ last year. I’d rather be in our position going into next year.

The talk about him being a great coach, a couple weeks after losing at home to Eastern Michigan, was precious.

The talk about him being a great coach, a couple weeks after losing at home to Eastern Michigan, was precious.

Brohm’s not a good coach now? LOL.
Did you write off PJ after the IL game?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I pretty much did and I'm glad to say that I appear to be proven wrong.

Heck, Brohm just has to fire the DC and the worm will turn. (I've seen it happen.)

It’s always good to draw sweeping conclusions after a bad loss. Surely Brohm’s fan club recognize their folly.

Typical exaggeration, no one said Brohm was not a good coach. Just some natural reactions to earlier statements of how much better he was doing than PJ.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Typical exaggeration, no one said Brohm was not a good coach. Just some natural reactions to earlier statements of how much better he was doing than PJ.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Really? Did you read the post I quoted about how “precious” it was when people were calling him a great coach?

Really? Did you read the post I quoted about how “precious” it was when people were calling him a great coach?

There's other ways to classify a coach like average, solid or good.

There's other ways to classify a coach like average, solid or good.

Okey Dokey. If you think he was saying it was “precious” when people called him great because he is only good, then we will just have to disagree.

Hot take thread. How is his conference record compared to Fleck's this far?

Hot take thread. How is his conference record compared to Fleck's this far?

Better than Flecks.

Through two seasons
Brohm 13-13 (9-9)
Fleck 12-13 (5-13)

So Brohm is clearly better if you exclude the Eastern Michigan game

Better than Flecks.

Through two seasons
Brohm 13-13 (9-9)
Fleck 12-13 (5-13)

He's won one fewer conference game in two years than Purdue won in its preceeding six years.

It's way too early to determine who was the better hire, but Brohm took over a program that had won nine games total in the preceeding four years...

Better than Flecks.

Through two seasons
Brohm 13-13 (9-9)
Fleck 12-13 (5-13)

How much worse is it to lose by a point to EMU vs getting taken to the woodshed by Illinois? I guess Purdue isn’t allowed to be young, and inconsistent; something that may or may not have been thrown around here.

There’s no question the trend lines of Purdue/MN have reversed over the last quarter of the season and things are looking up for the good guys.

Brohm has a signature win on his resume. Fleck has been a head coach for 6 seasons. His signature win is getting very fortunate to best a pretty solid Fresno State team, at home (thanks AWJr.)

Brohm is a great coach, with a great recruiting class coming in. They threw out a clunker today, but it happens. It was a win for the Big Ten West that he decided to stay at Purdue, no question. Next year in the West should be a lot of fun !

Brohm has a signature win on his resume. Fleck has been a head coach for 6 seasons. His signature win is getting very fortunate to best a pretty solid Fresno State team, at home (thanks AWJr.)

Alright, who’s gonna tell him?

Fleck's signature win was a butt whooping in Madison that brought the axe back.

How much worse is it to lose by a point to EMU vs getting taken to the woodshed by Illinois? I guess Purdue isn’t allowed to be young, and inconsistent; something that may or may not have been thrown around here.

There’s no question the trend lines of Purdue/MN have reversed over the last quarter of the season and things are looking up for the good guys.

They are certainly allowed to be young and inconsistent. Issue with that analysis being that they are veteran and inconsistent.

I would say they are about even through two seasons.

If Brohm didn’t lay an egg against Eastern Michigan I’d probably give him the edge.
If Minnesota didn’t crap the bed two seasons ago in West Lafayette it’d be Fleck and it wouldn’t be close.

Tell me what? That a win in Madison over one of the 3 truly average teams the Badgers have had in 20 years in significant?

Are you really going to try and argue that these last two wins haven't been extremely impressive?

I'm a big NON-Conference guy because that's when teams face their toughest competition like Fresno State and Auburn.
What are Brohm's and Fleck's non-conference record through two years?

Non-conference Fleck is unbeaten at Minnesota with a 7-0 record
Brohm is 4-4

Are you really going to try and argue that these last two wins haven't been extremely impressive?

Where did I say that? I said that beating a ranked Fresno State team looks better on a resume than beating a Wisconsin team that woefully underachieved on the season. It's great to get that giant monkey off their back, but from a national perspective, it doesn't move the needle much. Beat PSU next year, then people will really start to notice.

Where did I say that? I said that beating a ranked Fresno State team looks better on a resume than beating a Wisconsin team that woefully underachieved on the season. It's great to get that giant monkey off their back, but from a national perspective, it doesn't move the needle much. Beat PSU next year, then people will really start to notice.

Russian troll...move on folks, nothing to see here.

Both Brohm and Fleck are going to take their respective programs to greater accomplishments.

Brohm is in a better recruiting geographical locale. He has been able to secure a 25th rank 2019 recruiting class fueled by a quick start last season with Darrell Hazell's recruits. The tOSU signature win certainly helps.

PJ Fleck is not doing that bad. He had secured a 38th ranked class in 2018. He has a 37th ranked recruiting class in 2019 at this juncture. PJ Fleck is building a new house from the ground up. Give him time. We haven't seen the type of recruiting he's done in how long?

He's missed on some key recruits this year that I'd love the Gophers to have. He's battled for recruits who have several P5 offers and have won a few. If the team wins eight games or more next season, he may be winning even greater recruiting battles.

I am pretty happy where the Gophers are at.

Last edited:

Wisconsin's Sagarin Rankings during the losing streak

2002 Wisconsin Mason 32
2003 Wisconsin Mason 38 - Won
2004 Wisconsin Mason 27
2005 Wisconsin Mason 14
2006 Wisconsin Mason 9
2007 Wisconsin Brewster 36
2008 Wisconsin Brewster 61
2009 Wisconsin Brewster 23
2010 Wisconsin Brewster 12
2011 Wisconsin Kill 8
2012 Wisconsin Kill 23
2013 Wisconsin Kill 18
2014 Wisconsin Kill 20
2015 Wisconsin Claeys 19
2016 Wisconsin Claeys 9
2017 Wisconsin Fleck 7
2018 Wisconsin Fleck 32 - Won

Tied for the 4th worst Wisconsin team we played, but we didn't come close to winning any of these others. (except Brewster 2007-2009 where we lost by 7 or less)

So Brohm took over a worse team, has won almost twice as many B1G games, has a bigger signature win, has better recruiting rankings, has been offered other jobs, and did it all in West Lafayette —- yet some feel it makes sense to mock those who felt the “Golden Boy” was a better hire. Precious indeed.

Top Bottom