Brohm and Purdue

If Fleck has a better overall record and two head to head wins. Now question the evaluation wouldn’t be close through two years.
So yes, if a couple of plays went different in the last 3 minutes last year...it’d be Fleck and it wouldn’t be close.

That’s why I think it’s pretty close.

In terms of veteran team. Look at Purdue’s team two deeps particularly on offense and tell me they aren’t veteran. They’re young on defense but they’re offense with the exception of one guy is an old offense.

1. Well, we couldn’t overcome a 2 turnover advantage vs Purdue and PJ elected to run a crippled Durr out at DB for the critical Purdue game winning drive. That’s not great coaching.

2. We endured Robb Smith’s defense for 1.75 seasons. Could have had a few more wins. Not great.

3. Purdue had worse recruiting than MN, didn’t have a culture of winning and Brohm turned it around in year 1 and has translated that to a good recruiting class. Defeated Iowa twice, Ohio State.

4. It’s ok to admit Brohm did better early on and it’s feasible PJ will do better in the long term. We all hope so.

1) not going to discuss the strategy of the game. Regardless of the strategy we were essentially one play away from winning this game despite the “not great coaching”

2) no idea what point you’re trying to make here

3) Purdue has better quarterback play than Minnesota in 2/2 seasons so far. The quarterback who produced it wasn’t recruited by Brohm. So despite Brohm doing more with less he certainly had the quarterback advantage.
To say Minnesota has a culture of winning is laughable. Minnesota wasn’t as down as Purdue was, but Minnesota hasn’t finished top 3 in the big ten since the 70s. Purdue has a conference title in the past 20 years. Brohm has had better wins, but only one more of them against a very similar schedule with one extra game played. So I don’t know how that says Brohm is doing against everyone else, but you don’t only count your best games.

4) I did say Brohm and Fleck did about the same this year and Brohm did a little better last year. So I guess I agree with you.

After the Illinois game, I definitely hadn’t given up on Fleck but I was starting to question if the team was improving and I was starting to worry. That immediately brought on comparisons to any coach hired around the same time frame, and these two coaches will always be linked. Plenty of similarities AND differences within the situations they both stepped in.

Way too early to tell who will be more successful but it is hard to say Purdue’s total embarrassment of a bowl performance didn’t reflect poorly on their coach. It might end up being nothing more than a footnote or we may look back and say it was the beginning of the separation that led to everyone identifying Fleck as the better coach. I won’t pretend to know how this will play out. I’m just thankful to have the axe and a lot of momentum heading into next season. It will be a fun offseason to daydream.

My point was people were ready to crown Brohm as a far better hire than Fleck during year one. I guess some people still feel that way, that surprises me.

My point was people were ready to crown Brohm as a far better hire than Fleck during year one. I guess some people still feel that way, that surprises me.

Brohm doesn't have a paddle on the helmets, and that alone will make him forever superior in some people's opinions.

The sample size is too small and variables that they didn’t control (e.g. players they inherited - for better or worse) to judge at this point. It’ll wait until after year 5.

Last edited:

1) not going to discuss the strategy of the game. Regardless of the strategy we were essentially one play away from winning this game despite the “not great coaching”

You’re out of your league

2) no idea what point you’re trying to make here

I’m not surprised. Head coaches don’t make personnel, staff decisions.

3) Purdue has better quarterback play than Minnesota in 2/2 seasons so far. The quarterback who produced it wasn’t recruited by Brohm. So despite Brohm doing more with less he certainly had the quarterback advantage.

A team has three main facets. QB is a factor in one of them and Blough wasn’t great in years past.
To say Minnesota has a culture of winning is laughable. Minnesota wasn’t as down as Purdue was, but Minnesota hasn’t finished top 3 in the big ten since the 70s. Purdue has a conference title in the past 20 years. Brohm has had better wins, but only one more of them against a very similar schedule with one extra game played. So I don’t know how that says Brohm is doing against everyone else, but you don’t only count your best games.

Now THIS paragraph is laughable.

4) I did say Brohm and Fleck did about the same this year and Brohm did a little better last year. So I guess I agree with you.

Brohm did better both years particularly if we’re talking about league play. They drew a MUCH better bowl opponent and got squashed. Impossible to know how we’d have done vs Auburn although recent history suggests probably better but who knows? Agree we have better momentum going into next season.

Last edited:

I'm not a Brohm Bobo at all, but you have to respect what he has done so far. Brohm took a team that had won nine games total (3 in conference) in the preceding four years to six wins (4 in conference) in his first year. Purdue was dead last in the West the three years before he was hired. Last year they were tied for 3rd and this year they were tied for second.

I'm not a Brohm Bobo at all, but you have to respect what he has done so far. Brohm took a team that had won nine games total (3 in conference) in the preceding four years to six wins (4 in conference) in his first year. Purdue was dead last in the West the three years before he was hired. Last year they were tied for 3rd and this year they were tied for second.

This all sounds like window dressing to hide a no paddle bias.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Purdue also signed quite a few JC players in their first recruiting class to give them a short-term boost to their roster. The downside is they will graduate over 20 Seniors this year, most who played a prominent role this past season.

Purdue also signed quite a few JC players in their first recruiting class to give them a short-term boost to their roster. The downside is they will graduate over 20 Seniors this year, most who played a prominent role this past season.

I only see 12 seniors in the 11-20-18 offense and defense two deep. There are 6 listed seniors in special teams but we know punters, kickers, long snappers don’t count. Looks like only 2 guys lost on defense. Bigger losses on offense: at QB although backup Sindelar will be a Sr next season, most of the starting offensive line, running back.

I only see 12 seniors in the 11-20-18 offense and defense two deep. There are 6 listed seniors in special teams but we know punters, kickers, long snappers don’t count. Looks like only 2 guys lost on defense. Bigger losses on offense: at QB although backup Sindelar will be a Sr next season, most of the starting offensive line, running back.

https://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/depth-chart/purdue/91717 I count 20 according to this site, if you count the K, P and LS.

How are we going to settle this argument in the end?

Whichever coach leaves first loses?
Which coach won the most games overall?
Which coach won the biggest bowl game?
Conference record?

It's almost as if this will never be solved because the criteria will keep changing to suit what people want to believe if important at the time.

Just thinking out loud.

All I care about is how the Gophers will do under PJ Fleck and whether he will stay put for the long haul in Minnesota once he starts winning big.

MN seems poised for a big 2019. Next year: my prediction is we defeat and Iowa, and Wisconsin again. If that happens interest will go bonkers again.

Both programs will be working in better recruits over time. I don’t follow Purdue enough to know their status going forward; can only use a retrospective view.

How are we going to settle this argument in the end?

Whichever coach leaves first loses?
Which coach won the most games overall?
Which coach won the biggest bowl game?
Conference record?

It's almost as if this will never be solved because the criteria will keep changing to suit what people want to believe if important at the time.

Just thinking out loud.

It is probably whichever coach doesn’t get fired first. For programs like Minnesota and Purdue, that is usually how it ends.

MN seems poised for a big 2019. Next year: my prediction is we defeat and Iowa, and Wisconsin again. If that happens interest will go bonkers again.

Both programs will be working in better recruits over time. I don’t follow Purdue enough to know their status going forward; can only use a retrospective view.

Agree. 2019 could be huge. Just win.

-A worse team with a much better qb situation.
-twice as many B1G games, yet only one more win overall.
-great signature win, but it came in a 6 win season where they lost to EMU.
-has better recruiting rankings this year, worse last two years.
-has been offered a job at his alma mater and where else?
-all in West Lafayette...is that supposed to be a tougher place to win than in Minnesota?

oh yeah, and 41-10 happened.

It depends on how you define "offered." They definitely talked and came close to a deal, but the buyout was an issue. Tennessee clearly wanted Brohm (which was the original point) and just didn't get it done.

https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...f-brohm-louisville-football-purdue/905365001/

https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...s-football-coaching-search-reports/546011002/

What's the conference record comparison now?

Both are 12-15.
Both are 12-15
Brohm 17-21
Fleck 23-15

minnesota 2-1 vs Purdue

Purdue massive injury problems....but they were 1-3 before/during injury. 3-5 after.

I still think they’re both pretty good coaches. Would rather have Fleck in charge of my program. Would rather have Brohm make my game plan.

I like Fleck better than Brohm and I'm glad he's our coach. Brohm still could turn out to be a very good coach for Purdue though. You really have to keep in mind how little talent was there when he got there.

Both are 12-15
Brohm 17-21
Fleck 23-15

minnesota 2-1 vs Purdue

Purdue massive injury problems....but they were 1-3 before/during injury. 3-5 after.

I still think they’re both pretty good coaches. Would rather have Fleck in charge of my program. Would rather have Brohm make my game plan.
Fleck's next OC?

If Brohm was a really good coach he wouldn't let his guys wear hoodies on the sidelines.
I actually think Frost is a pretty good coach too.
in every game half the teams playing have to lose.

So if a division has 6-7 good coaches...at least 3 good coaches are going to have a losing record every year.

Fleck's next OC?
I don’t think they like each other
I honestly thought Brohm was going to go to Louisville.
His style would work better in the ACC or Big 12 I think.

I still think he can be good at Purdue. But two more seasons like last year and he will get fired.

Top Bottom