Fresno loses two players to the draft.

btowngopher

Reaction score
Two huge losses for Fresno State. Linebacker Jeff Allison, Mountain West Defensive Player of the Year is leaving early, as is safety Mike Bell.

Fresno St, next year, will be my first away game ever. I live in Cali now, so excited to go see the team on the road. Plan to hit up Gopher Baseball against Long Beach this spring as well.

Bell, a second-team all-conference pick, was fourth on the team with 86 tackles including 53 solo. The fourth-year junior had 3.0 tackles for loss and three interceptions.

Lose all three starting linebackers, two starters in secondary, one - maybe - on dline.

The good QB and wr are also gone. They started 8 seniors on offense.

Read more here: https://www.fresnobee.com/sports/co...-football/article223673320.html#storylink=cpy

I guess we'll see.

Jeff Tedford is now 10-4 and 12-2, with two bowl wins and a MWC championship. I have to think he knows how to recruit guys, including JUCO if needed, and plug new guys in.

That is a lot to lose and maintain the level they were playing. Not many teams outside of Bama, Clemson, Oh St, etc can lose that much and expect to get better. This is especially true in the 2nd or 3rd game of the year.

Allison was really fun to watch in the the three or so Fresno State games I was able to see. I wonder where he will get drafted?
Their wr, Johnson, could be a solid pro as well.

Fresno is an absolutely dumb game to schedule.
We beat them this year barely. If we had lost we miss a bowl.
We beat them in a year where they were 12-2 and the only other team to beat them later lost to them. It literally was as good as that win possibly could have been. Barely moved the needle locally and doesn’t move it nationally at all.

Now we have to go on the road. It is a classic no win situation.
Beat a tough team, no one cares.
Lose to a tough team, get ridiculed.
It is like playing North Dakota state to a certain extent.

Either play power 5 teams or dog crap teams IMO
Shouldn’t risk losses against teams that don’t help you much when you win.

We beat them in a year where they were 12-2 and the only other team to beat them later lost to them. It literally was as good as that win possibly could have been. Barely moved the needle locally and doesn’t move it nationally at all.

You are correct.

He scheduled a home and home with them. So we have to play them. They didn't want to just come here and not get a chance to play us at their place.

He scheduled a home and home with them. So we have to play them. They didn't want to just come here and not get a chance to play us at their place.

Obviously
I’m saying the whole series was dumb

I guess we'll see.

Jeff Tedford is now 10-4 and 12-2, with two bowl wins and a MWC championship. I have to think he knows how to recruit guys, including JUCO if needed, and plug new guys in.

He recruited two three stars this year...Fleck has been top 40 last two years...Tedford has been in the nineties.

This will be a BIG, important non conference game to win.

Fresno State went 1-11 in 2016 and 3-9 in 2016. I'm sure at the time we scheduled them they looked like they would be another cupcake.

The games were scheduled in the summer of 2015. I do think wins over teams like Fresno do move the needle for people that know college football, people know who the good non P5 schools are.

Well Fresno State was a dog crap team when the series was scheduled. Why so negative?

Fresno loses a lot and all signs point to the gophers being vastly improved and more experienced. The first game was pretty much controlled by the gophers most of the game. I fresno losses and minnesota's gained experience negate the home field advantage, and we pull out a more comfortable win in the rematch.

Well Fresno State was a dog crap team when the series was scheduled. Why so negative?

I think the whole point is that it does nothing for a team like Minnesota.

We beat a very good Fresno State team and it's not really something anyone talked about. I remember before the season started, an article in one of the papers said something like "the Gophers won't face a real test until Maryland".

The fact is, it doesn't do us any good as a program to schedule tough non power 5 teams.

Fresno May have had a bad season. They are traditionally one of the top 5-10 non power 5 programs.

Other teams we shouldn’t schedule:
UCF
Boise State
North Dakota State

I think the whole point is that it does nothing for a team like Minnesota.

We beat a very good Fresno State team and it's not really something anyone talked about. I remember before the season started, an article in one of the papers said something like "the Gophers won't face a real test until Maryland".

The fact is, it doesn't do us any good as a program to schedule tough non power 5 teams.
And the fact is and my point was that at the time it was scheduled Fresno State was not a tough team at 3-9 in 2015 and 1-11 in 2016. Amazing how you schedule a cupcake and people complain, you schedule a tough non Power 5 and people complain. It's going to be a long off season if people are already complaining about next years schedule.

And the fact is and my point was that at the time it was scheduled Fresno State was not a tough team at 3-9 in 2015 and 1-11 in 2016. Amazing how you schedule a cupcake and people complain, you schedule a tough non Power 5 and people complain. It's going to be a long off season if people are already complaining about next years schedule.

Literally nobody complained Fresno was a cupcake. In fact when the big ten mandated a power 5 non-conference game, Fresno, Notre Dame, BYU, and Army/Navy were treated as “power 5s”

It is going to be a long offseason for you if you can’t handle people giving opinions on message boards but insist on reading them.

I don't think anyone is complaining about next year's schedule. We all understand it is the second part of a home and home. We are just talking hypothetically about the wisdom in schedule a strong non-P5 program. Right now is precisely the time that conversation would make the most sense. We are just finishing a season in which we defeated a really good non-P5 team and it really didn't do anything for us.

As to Fresno State not being good at the time of the scheduling, well, that's fine. Their success certainly didn't come out of nowhere for those of us who follow college football. They are traditionally a really strong non-P5 program. So the fact that were a good team was a surprise to no one (except apparently you).

Again, I'm not complaining about it. I was just agreeing with the poster who said that scheduling tough non-P5 programs doesn't really help a middle of the road P5 school.

Fresno May have had a bad season. They are traditionally one of the top 5-10 non power 5 programs.

Other teams we shouldn’t schedule:
UCF
Boise State
North Dakota State

We want to win the Big Ten, but don’t want to play those teams because we might not be good enough to beat them?

Literally nobody complained Fresno was a cupcake. In fact when the big ten mandated a power 5 non-conference game, Fresno, Notre Dame, BYU, and Army/Navy were treated as “power 5s”

It is going to be a long offseason for you if you can’t handle people giving opinions on message boards but insist on reading them.
OK some guy, I just tend to enjoy a nice end of the season and bowl victory for a while and look at the positives. You apparently struggle with other peoples opinions as well :)

We want to win the Big Ten, but don’t want to play those teams because we might not be good enough to beat them?

The risk/benefit analysis of playing those schools doesn't help us.

We should never play NDSU, but that's for other reasons. We have no reason to put them on TVs in Minneapolis/Saint Paul.

Well Fresno was favored in the game, at least initially. Pretty sure it opened as Fresno-1 or 2 and moved to a pick. Beating any team that is favored is a good thing in my mind, power 5 or not.

I don't think anyone is complaining about next year's schedule. We all understand it is the second part of a home and home. We are just talking hypothetically about the wisdom in schedule a strong non-P5 program. Right now is precisely the time that conversation would make the most sense. We are just finishing a season in which we defeated a really good non-P5 team and it really didn't do anything for us.

As to Fresno State not being good at the time of the scheduling, well, that's fine. Their success certainly didn't come out of nowhere for those of us who follow college football. They are traditionally a really strong non-P5 program. So the fact that were a good team was a surprise to no one (except apparently you).

Again, I'm not complaining about it. I was just agreeing with the poster who said that scheduling tough non-P5 programs doesn't really help a middle of the road P5 school.

Didn’t do anything for us? We played and beat good competition. Players grow from better competition.

Nice arrogant jab. I was not surprised they were good this year based on their 2017 season and the players they were returning. I was surprised by their quick turnaround from 1-11 in 2016 to 12-2 in 2018. Tedford definitely turned things around but that seems to be very possible in the Mountain West.

We should never play NDSU, but that's for other reasons. We have no reason to put them on TVs in Minneapolis/Saint Paul.

If we get outrecruited by NDSU because they are on TV locally, we suck.

I wouldn’t consider NDSU as I don’t believe in scheduling D-1AA schools. I’m still not ducking Boise State. We’d get better by playing them. I wouldn’t want to schedule three bad 1A opponents and then not be prepared for conference play.

Top Bottom