Bateman: I came to MN 4 moments like tonight. I promise it'll do nothing but get btr

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Everyone knows he will. Watching him against Indiana was amazing. He had over 600 yards and 6tds as a true freshmen! Whens the last time we had that happen?

If he stays healthy for all 4 years he’s going to hold every major receiving record at Minnesota.

Well, if conditions this morning in the Twin Cities don't send him packing back to Georgia then we're good. Icy everywhere.

He's a Freshman and he's already made a difference by making it harder for defenses to cover multiple credible receiving threats.

I imagine beating Georgia Tech is a big deal for the Georgia born Gophers players.

Bateman

You beat me to it...

Considering the combination of performance this year and the ol' eye test, I would contend that Bateman is the best true freshman WR the Gophers have had in my lifetime. I'm 46, and have been watching the team since I was gold coat ushering at the Metrodome. I can't recall seeing a WR who had the combination of athleticism, hands, solid route running, and the ability to get separation as a frosh. There's certainly room for improvement and development, but he's already a solid #2/3 Big10 WR.

I really like Tyler Johnson as a special player, and there's no guarantee that Bateman will end up better. With that said, Bateman is certainly further along in his development as a WR than Johnson was in his 1st year. Assuming Johnson stays in school he'll see lots of double teams, meaning Bateman should benefit from seeing single coverage nearly all of the time (likely by the other team's #2 CB). And, Autman-Bell showed he can make plays, too, so opposing D's have to pay attention to all three receiving threats when they're on the field together. Finally, the ability to run the ball consistently with Smith/Brooks/Mo/Bryce/etc. means there should be multiple opportunities for Bateman to beat his man 1-on-1 in most games in 2019.

With all of that in mind, and assuming we see similar or slightly improved QB play from Morgan/Annexstad/Clark, if they stay healthy I wouldn't be surprised to see Johnson and Bateman with 10+ receiving TDs each. Not predicting it WILL happen, but I won't be surprised if it DOES happen.

Go Gophers!!!

Minnesota’s entire offense will be very difficult to stop in 2019. With his speed, Bateman will be the superstar.

Top Bottom