CBS: Big Ten mid-term report, updated predictions (Gophers picked between 8th - 12th)

Yuck. So predictions range from disappointing to horrible? Hopefully we make them all look like fools.

Based on what we've seen so far, I think 8th to 10th is about right.

I THINK Gophers will finish ahead of Iowa, Northwestern, Penn State, and Purdue, but I don't say that with any great certainty. Need to see what Curry looks like if and when he comes back, how quickly he acclimates, as well as my trepidation about how Gophers will fare on the road. I picked Gophers 7th in the preseason, and I think it's fair to still peg them right about there.

8th or worse and Pitino has to be gone, no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure why just outside the Tourney in a very good conference would be a firable offence. Last year was bad luck, no more no less. Unless the team quits on him I see at least one more shot at this, regardless of how this season ends up.

If he does not make the dance or pick up some serious talent he will be lucky to coach next season

Not sure why just outside the Tourney in a very good conference would be a firable offence. Last year was bad luck, no more no less. Unless the team quits on him I see at least one more shot at this, regardless of how this season ends up.

Our absolute lack of depth is partially on him.

Tubby dealt with a ton of issues too, eventually, the excuses need to stop.

I hope Rick can get this team in a position to where he has earned an extension, I like him, but we'll see.

Our absolute lack of depth is partially on him.

Tubby dealt with a ton of issues too, eventually, the excuses need to stop.

I hope Rick can get this team in a position to where he has earned an extension, I like him, but we'll see.

He needs to win some big games to show he can coach, lose both to Wisconsin this year and to me that would be telling.

Here we go again! Another thread hijacked by the Fire Pitino trolls.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think we can do well. BUT, 1. IW is the only potential effective point guard...no other reliable candidates on the roster, for me. 2. We need Curry to come back healthy and be very good if we are going to surprise the predictions, imo.
3. We can't miss any where near half our free throws and win Big Ten games.
We are not as dangerous as I thought we would be...I expected Stull to be comfortable enough to hit threes off the bench....not too sure that's gonna happen. We need a consistent Dupree and he's got a lot on his plate to deal with.
Coffey is even moodier as a junior it seems to me...he disappears much too often. Matz was a pleasant surprise early but not so much lately.
With two 10 day breaks it's hard to know what we have going forward...the parts are there...there is just not much of any room for error or injury and Murphy is pretty much the only guy you can count on with Oturu hopefully mimicking him.
Hoping we surprise people.

I wouldn't say that. Maybe, if we have a solid coach ready to come in. But I'd expect Coyle to at least kick the tires on a few candidates before making any choices. Another solid run in the NIT is nothing to sneeze at in Minny. Well, okay it is...

I am hoping for improvement on defense. If we get that and we get just average shooting, this team can compete in every other way with most Big Ten teams. I think anything from 4th to 11th is possible. There will be lots of close games where a made or missed shot or free throws will determine the direction of the season.

Here we go again! Another thread hijacked by the Fire Pitino trolls.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If a troll is someone who thinks after 6 years the coach should be fired for only one NCAA Tourney appearance, no NCAA Tourney wins, another losing B1G conference record and another bottom of the conference finish - then yes I am a troll.

If a troll is someone who thinks after 6 years the coach should be fired for only one NCAA Tourney appearance, no NCAA Tourney wins, another losing B1G conference record and another bottom of the conference finish - then yes I am a troll.

The name calling comes when they have nothing else to offer. Fans get confused between what they wish or think could happen and what does happen. If they like the coach, think he is funny, charismatic, cool then they stand by him no matter what. Nationally, none of those are the perception of him. The reality is it is high past time to get really great at defense and win big. Win something big. Starts by winning in Madison.

Luck counts too! Didn't you ever hear the expression "I'd rather be lucky than good?" Seems like Pitino has had a fair amount of "bad luck" in his first five years (wasn't limited to last year).

I also don't understand the logic of dismissing the first three years; I don't buy the reasoning that, because of one good year, we were on an upward trend and last year was just an unlucky bump in that road to consistent success. The whole record needs to be considered if the team has a mediocre conference finish this year.

The name calling comes when they have nothing else to offer. Fans get confused between what they wish or think could happen and what does happen. If they like the coach, think he is funny, charismatic, cool then they stand by him no matter what. Nationally, none of those are the perception of him.

Yeah, don't get that at all. A coach is paid to win basketball games and keep a clean program. How can a few minutes of interviews and some tweets compensate for a lengthy list of unsatisfactory 40 minute games?

I wouldn’t necessarily call someone who has reached that conclusion a troll. However, if all that person does is wish I’ll will and failure upon the coach and team to achieve this desired result, then he/she is a troll.

I’m not a troll. Fully supported Pitino. But when you say your identity is defense and rebounding, but the defense looks this bad, then there is no identify. Pitino is in the lead on betting sites to be the first coach fired, so it’s already thought by many nationally.

I am hoping for improvement on defense. If we get that and we get just average shooting, this team can compete in every other way with most Big Ten teams. I think anything from 4th to 11th is possible. There will be lots of close games where a made or missed shot or free throws will determine the direction of the season.

I agree, our defense is responsible for our two biggest wins this year. If our offense can stay within reason with 8-10 min to go, they can close the door.

The only two things this team has done well this year statistically are getting to the the free throw line and offensive rebounding.

Almost every defensive statistic is average to poor. They do limit opponents 3PT attempts reasonably well, but they are still making them against us at an average rate per game due to a higher percentage made.

I fully agree with most, I love Pitino the personality, but these teams have had no identity to them. You can never really say what the Gophers do particularly well except get to the free throw line and crash the offensive boards.

Every advanced metric ranking pegs the Gophers in that 8-11th range, something will have to change to break through this year.

How about we let them play conference teams before we right them off to the 8 to 11 position. These are the same people that had Purdue ranked way to high as well

If they stay healthy I think they 5-7 isn't out of the question.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The only two things this team has done well this year statistically are getting to the the free throw line and offensive rebounding.

Almost every defensive statistic is average to poor. They do limit opponents 3PT attempts reasonably well, but they are still making them against us at an average rate per game due to a higher percentage made.

I fully agree with most, I love Pitino the personality, but these teams have had no identity to them. You can never really say what the Gophers do particularly well except get to the free throw line and crash the offensive boards.

Every advanced metric ranking pegs the Gophers in that 8-11th range, something will have to change to break through this year.

That 3pt stat would indicate that we are more unlucky than bad defensively.

The advanced stats say the following:
We are elite (top 25) at getting to the free throw line, offensive rebounding, assisting made baskets, and preventing 3 pt attempts.

We are abysmal (less than 200th) at every shooting stat - 3pt%, 2pt%, ft%, and especially block% - and creating turnovers and opp 3pt%. We also don’t take a lot of 3s.

We are also pretty bad at turning the ball over and allowing opponents to the ft line.

I think a lot of that is fixable. We are going to shoot better and hopefully opponents will shoot worse on their few 3pt attempts.

I’m concerned about the turnovers and the foul trouble. Those are what will lose us games.

Last edited:

The only thing that erodes my confidence that they are going to end up in the 5-7 range is the blowout loss to OS, otherwise this has been a good start, I hope that was an exception but until they play a couple more conference games I'm thinking 8-11.

Top Bottom