5 takeaways from Georgia Tech’s loss to Minnesota (MN better than its record)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Atlanta Journal Constitution:

Better Than Its Record

Prior to the bowl game, Johnson made an observation about Minnesota that didn’t rate as a jaw-dropper, but has some pertinence in light of the result. As a 6-6 team, the Gophers played some games well and others not as much. In the final six games of the regular season, Minnesota lost, won, lost, won, lost and won.

The first loss and last win might encapsulate its variance – the Gophers lost at Nebraska 53-28, falling behind 28-0 and surrendering 383 rushing yards to a winless Cornhuskers team. In the final game, Minnesota hammered Wisconsin at Camp Randall Stadium 37-15, ending a 14-game losing streak in one of its two biggest rivalry games. The Gophers held the Badgers to 170 rushing yards, more than 100 yards under its season average to that point.

This was clearly a team capable of playing well (particularly after firing defensive coordinator Robb Smith) and that has an emerging talent in running back Mohamed Ibrahim. The redshirt freshman began the season third on the depth chart but finished the season on a roll, even before his career day against the Jackets, averaging 118 yards in his final four games, the last three against bowl teams.

Tech played a team that was capable of playing well and clearly ready to play. The Jackets were not at their best, made mistakes early to fall behind and suffered critical lapses. The result was a 34-10 defeat.

“Obviously, they were more physical than us at the point of attack,” safety Malik Rivera said. “I think that’s just what it was. We needed to be more physical. We needed to be more tough and we weren’t.”

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...a-tech-loss-minnesota/aTkxMS8qN4btheZpmRw6XI/

Go Gophers!!

It's not as if the "Jackets were not at their best," because all they do is run the ball, and I didn't see them stumbling or falling over themselves. They did their best, the Gophers just did better and shut them down especially in the first half. I hate how people spin it some how like one team wasn't at their best... I get it if they were fumbling and or making mistakes like costly penalties, or dropped passes all game or something but nope, they just got plane old shut down.

Better Than Its Record

Prior to the bowl game, Johnson made an observation about Minnesota that didn’t rate as a jaw-dropper, but has some pertinence in light of the result. As a 6-6 team, the Gophers played some games well and others not as much. In the final six games of the regular season, Minnesota lost, won, lost, won, lost and won.

The first loss and last win might encapsulate its variance – the Gophers lost at Nebraska 53-28, falling behind 28-0 and surrendering 383 rushing yards to a winless Cornhuskers team. In the final game, Minnesota hammered Wisconsin at Camp Randall Stadium 37-15, ending a 14-game losing streak in one of its two biggest rivalry games. The Gophers held the Badgers to 170 rushing yards, more than 100 yards under its season average to that point.

This was clearly a team capable of playing well (particularly after firing defensive coordinator Robb Smith) and that has an emerging talent in running back Mohamed Ibrahim. The redshirt freshman began the season third on the depth chart but finished the season on a roll, even before his career day against the Jackets, averaging 118 yards in his final four games, the last three against bowl teams.

Tech played a team that was capable of playing well and clearly ready to play. The Jackets were not at their best, made mistakes early to fall behind and suffered critical lapses. The result was a 34-10 defeat.

“Obviously, they were more physical than us at the point of attack,” safety Malik Rivera said. “I think that’s just what it was. We needed to be more physical. We needed to be more tough and we weren’t.”

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/...a-tech-loss-minnesota/aTkxMS8qN4btheZpmRw6XI/

Go Gophers!!

"Johnson second guessed his decision to not scrimmage the first-team offense and first-team defense during bowl practice in order to avoid injuries."

The Yellowjackets provided the meat. The Gophers did the tenderizing.

I think a Coach can telegraph to his team how serious a threat the next opponent will be. Only conducting 10 practices...and as the article notes not scrimmaging the first team offense vs defense in bowl practices...I think added a subtle layer of complacency that Tech could not overcome under game conditions.

As an aside my father (who follows UGA closely in Atlanta) noted the Dawgs devote time each week to defending Tech's offensive schemes. Only makes sense because they have to play them each year.

I bring this up as a compliment to Rossi's preparation and the Gophers' execution of the defense game plan. Tech fans compare the beatdown they got from Georgia to what the Gophers did to them. Not bad company in that regard.

I think a Coach can telegraph to his team how serious a threat the next opponent will be. Only conducting 10 practices...and as the article notes not scrimmaging the first team offense vs defense in bowl practices...I think added a subtle layer of complacency that Tech could not overcome under game conditions.

As an aside my father (who follows UGA closely in Atlanta) noted the Dawgs devote time each week to defending Tech's offensive schemes. Only makes sense because they have to play them each year.

I bring this up as a compliment to Rossi's preparation and the Gophers' execution of the defense game plan. Tech fans compare the beatdown they got from Georgia to what the Gophers did to them. Not bad company in that regard.

The Connelly article in many threads in this board states the Gophers S & P+ in their wins is comparable to Georgia.

Last edited:

Better Than Its Record

Go Gophers!!

This is a fair take by an outsider on the Gopher football team. Ibrahim is indeed an emerging talent and I am not so sure he is #3 RB after Brooks and Smith come back. For one, Brooks will be extremely iffy given his injuries and you have to wonder how durable he will be even when he is back. Smith has to return to full strength from injury and if he is 100 per cent he will be right there for the carries. Should be fun to watch all 3!

Firing Robb Smith was the best decision made all year. I think his greatest flaw was trying to jam a square peg in a round hole and not adapting his defense to his personnel. You can see how much better the defense performed when Rossi made those adjustments. It was night and day. If Fleck doesn't fire Robb Smith we are having much different conversations on the future of this team and Coach Fleck. If Smith stays, we do not beat Wisconsin or Purdue and we do not go to a bowl game. We would be optimistic about the offense but our defense is highly suspect and we are wondering how much further they let Fleck stay on. Now -- there is great optimism for the future of this team and things are looking pretty good for this team!

The Gophers are a young team that will come in with a lot more experience under their belts next year. They have recruited well and the thing I like the most about this class is that it complements last year's class very well. Last year, the offensive line got a serious upgrade - this year it will be the defensive line. Fleck has done a good job of bolstering the areas he inherited that had serious deficiencies and depth issues. Maybe - just maybe - he will be the coach that can get this program to the Promised Land! (The only difference is the Jews only had to wait 40 years while Gopher fans have had to wait much longer!! LOL)

Bottom line: The Gophers prepared hard. The Yellowjackets didn't. It feels like they underestimated the Gophers.

The quote from their safety hit it right on the nose, we were more physical on both sides of the ball. You could see it in their quarterback that he was not used to being “roughed-up” like he was. In the second half he was slammed out of bounds by one of our linebackers ( I forget who). It was all over for their offense after that. I loved our physical style of play. Our “O” line had the same style and attitude. So did Ibrahim. Great game to watch our young kids take it to ‘em.

Bottom line: The Gophers prepared hard. The Yellowjackets didn't. It feels like they underestimated the Gophers.

And how nice was that to see that defense swarm to the ball and shut down a defense it had never seen before! I think Rossi has blown Gopher fans away with what he has done with that defense. You are right - Georgia Tech was not prepared for the physical play on both sides of the ball. They stepped into a buzzsaw!

This is a fair take by an outsider on the Gopher football team. Ibrahim is indeed an emerging talent and I am not so sure he is #3 RB after Brooks and Smith come back. For one, Brooks will be extremely iffy given his injuries and you have to wonder how durable he will be even when he is back. Smith has to return to full strength from injury and if he is 100 per cent he will be right there for the carries. Should be fun to watch all 3!

Firing Robb Smith was the best decision made all year. I think his greatest flaw was trying to jam a square peg in a round hole and not adapting his defense to his personnel. You can see how much better the defense performed when Rossi made those adjustments. It was night and day. If Fleck doesn't fire Robb Smith we are having much different conversations on the future of this team and Coach Fleck. If Smith stays, we do not beat Wisconsin or Purdue and we do not go to a bowl game. We would be optimistic about the offense but our defense is highly suspect and we are wondering how much further they let Fleck stay on. Now -- there is great optimism for the future of this team and things are looking pretty good for this team!

The Gophers are a young team that will come in with a lot more experience under their belts next year. They have recruited well and the thing I like the most about this class is that it complements last year's class very well. Last year, the offensive line got a serious upgrade - this year it will be the defensive line. Fleck has done a good job of bolstering the areas he inherited that had serious deficiencies and depth issues. Maybe - just maybe - he will be the coach that can get this program to the Promised Land! (The only difference is the Jews only had to wait 40 years while Gopher fans have had to wait much longer!! LOL)

Debating who will be #1, #2, and #3 RB in 8 months is probably time wasted. In the end, a nice problem to have.

The quote from their safety hit it right on the nose, we were more physical on both sides of the ball. You could see it in their quarterback that he was not used to being “roughed-up” like he was. In the second half he was slammed out of bounds by one of our linebackers ( I forget who). It was all over for their offense after that. I loved our physical style of play. Our “O” line had the same style and attitude. So did Ibrahim. Great game to watch our young kids take it to ‘em.

It was Carter Coughlin slamming Taquan Marshall to the ground at 10:25 2nd quarter (at 35:50 on game video).

https://youtu.be/5jLixrJ8M6s

Last edited:

Is the ACC a really soft, non-physical conference? All game long, the Tech players looked like they were upset about pretty benign tackles and blocks. Is the big ten that much grittier?

It's not as if the "Jackets were not at their best," because all they do is run the ball, and I didn't see them stumbling or falling over themselves. They did their best, the Gophers just did better and shut them down especially in the first half. I hate how people spin it some how like one team wasn't at their best... I get it if they were fumbling and or making mistakes like costly penalties, or dropped passes all game or something but nope, they just got plane old shut down.

this is what a supportive local media does... were just used to the other side.

And how nice was that to see that defense swarm to the ball and shut down a defense it had never seen before! I think Rossi has blown Gopher fans away with what he has done with that defense. You are right - Georgia Tech was not prepared for the physical play on both sides of the ball. They stepped into a buzzsaw!

Another angle on this is you can see why Paul Johnson's option offense is going the way of the dinosaur. Granted, the Gophers had three weeks to prepare, but I can only think of a couple of instances where the Gopher defense made the wrong read on the QB pitch/keep. I was surprised Georgia Tech didn't run a few more quick hitters, but that read must have been shut down. No question that we just flat-out pushed them around on both sides of the ball.

I don't think it was so much a lack of preparation by GT. Watching the game I felt like the D had all the options well defended. I thought the Gophers just had a better gameplan.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I don't think it was so much a lack of preparation by GT. Watching the game I felt like the D had all the options well defended. I thought the Gophers just had a better gameplan.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Agree. GT's defense was more of the issue for them...although the offense did them no favors.

Debating who will be #1, #2, and #3 RB in 8 months is probably time wasted. In the end, a nice problem to have.

If we eliminate time wasting discussions on this board then the offseason will seem even longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we eliminate time wasting discussions on this board then the offseason will seem even longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good point...unless it is a bunch of local media related threads.

Hungan1 - thanks for the link. It’s Coughlin. I think our attitude was just different than theirs.

Top Bottom