ESPN: Larger-than-life Faalele making an impact at Minnesota

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

He's impossible to miss.

At 6-foot-9, 400 pounds, Minnesota offensive lineman Daniel Faalele is a mountain of a young man, who has lived his entire life as a larger-than-life figure.

Whether he was an oversized rugby player in his hometown of Melbourne, Australia, a teenager on a football field for the first time at the IMG Academy in Florida or a young offensive lineman this season for the Golden Gophers, he's always stood out.

Yet, his rapid transformation on the gridiron is what has made him a more visible athlete in Minneapolis, Minnesota. A few years after playing football for the first time, Faalele was named an honorable mention on the media's all-Big Ten squad this season.

"I'm extremely excited that we're going to a bowl game," Faalele told ESPN. "I can't wait. I think coach Fleck rallied us together. We all depended on each other."

With Faalele at right tackle, the Gophers rushed for 201 yards in a win over the Wisconsin Badgers, regaining The Paul Bunyan Axe from their rivals for the first time in 15 years.

When the team returned to its facility in Minneapolis, hundreds of fans were waiting for them.

"I didn't really understand how big of a rivalry it was until we won the game and everyone was just going crazy," Faalele said.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ralian-daniel-faalele-making-impact-minnesota

Go Gophers!!

If Faalele keeps this up, he'll probably be the highest draft pick we've ever had as a Gopher because the NFL love big strong linemen like him. He is just a couple years into learning this game too, just imagine him in 2 more years.

I am sure he is the most scrutinized offensive lineman by pro scouts. This is a good thing because the scouts will have an opportunity to observe and notice other Gopher players.

Just a great story all around.

I have to think Zack will be itching to get back in there with his two IMG buddies now anchoring that OL. I think it provides a little more motivation for him. Cannot wait for Spring ball. Hope Fleck opens up more practices.

He has really good feet for a 400 pounder

They spotlighted him on one play in the bowl and he literally hit the DE with his right hand on the shoulder pad and he collapsed to his knees. The DE was 6'4 260 and he was nothing to Big D.

They spotlighted him on one play in the bowl and he literally hit the DE with his right hand on the shoulder pad and he collapsed to his knees. The DE was 6'4 260 and he was nothing to Big D.

Yeah, he has weird strength. Like I've noticed several plays over the season where Big Dan wasn't even squared up or in a position that seemed like he would deliver a big hit and big guys go flying. Many times, I've assumed, "oh, Big Dan got that LBer or S" but my eyes were tricking me. I was noticing the disparity in size and my brain automatically thought it was a LBer or S, but no, just a 280 lbs Big Ten DE.

On a side note, Connor Olson might have been our best OL all season, he was great and he was only a SO.

Our young line is really coming together.

He has really good feet for a 400 pounder

He definitely worked on that and improved from preseason practice. Mentioned it on another thread that it looks like he adjusted his stance as well to minimize the chance a speedy DE runs around him.

Got to give PJ some credit for the IMG boys choosing the Gophers. Offensive line looks set for the next few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes reputation is awesome. Wisconsin has a reputation as well for its offensive line. I'm hoping we'll overtake them as to being the best consistently.

Got to give PJ some credit for the IMG boys choosing the Gophers. Offensive line looks set for the next few years.

I think ZA had a lot to do with pulling both big guys here. I'm guessing he quickly saw the benefit of going the PWO route if it meant having a Scholly available for one of those two.

Should we complain about a good story? I'm missing something here.

Myron Metcalf wrote the story. Was the beat writer for the gopher basketball team at the StarTribune and most GHers constantly complain about him whenever he references the gophers on ESPN.

Myron Metcalf wrote the story. Was the beat writer for the gopher basketball team at the StarTribune and most GHers constantly complain about him whenever he references the gophers on ESPN.

All anyone wants is a fair and honest story whether it be a good story or a bad one. Not every story is going to be roses all the time. Just don’t try to manufacture a story when it isn’t there and don’t go out of your way to jab unnecessarily.

All anyone wants is a fair and honest story whether it be a good story or a bad one. Not every story is going to be roses all the time. Just don’t try to manufacture a story when it isn’t there and don’t go out of your way to jab unnecessarily.

And that's exactly why GHers complain about Myron. You guys don't seem to visit the basketball board very much.

If Faalele keeps this up, he'll probably be the highest draft pick we've ever had as a Gopher because the NFL love big strong linemen like him. He is just a couple years into learning this game too, just imagine him in 2 more years.

We've had two different players drafted 4th overall, so he's "probably" going to be top 3 overall?

Don't sleep on Dunlap busting wide open.

I love his last statement in the article.

"When I leave here, I want to leave a legacy of a winning culture and I want to bring Minnesota back to what it was before," he said.

Young man, we hope for the same thing. Thank you for choosing the University of Minnesota.

Row that Norse Longship. It ain't a rowboat any more. (Notice I did not say Viking.)

Top Bottom