Shama: 2 anonymous sources say team has bought in to Fleck, culture has changed

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

The victory gave Minnesota a final record above .500 at 7-6. The game offered more evidence the players are all-in on head coach P.J. Fleck and his culture. His “Row the Boat” mantra and demanding high energy environment has generated critics among the public, media and even presumably inside the halls of the U athletics compound, but it appears the second-year head coach has won over his team and perhaps placed the program on a path of sustained success.

In surprise wins, Minnesota has defeated Purdue, 41-10, Wisconsin, 37-15 and Georgia Tech, 34-10. Those are three above average Power Five teams, and people who know football are noticing including a former prominent Minnesota high school coach who has been following the Gophers for decades.

“I think the players have bought in,” he said last night, while speaking anonymously. “There’s been a lot of criticism of Fleck, and the players hear that, but now they believe. The culture has changed.”

Another football authority, who also didn’t want his name used, agreed that Minnesota’s impressive late season rally from a poor record going into the Purdue game on November 10 is significant. “It gives hope that the program is going in the right direction,” he said.

What caught the attention of observers as much as anything last night was how physical the Minnesota offense was. The unit looked bigger and stronger than GT’s defensive players, with the Gophers coming up with 403 yards in total offense to their opponent’s 301. “The offensive line was fantastic,” one of the sources said.

The way the program closed out 2018 also means something else, according to one of the authorities. “The biggest thing is it gives you great confidence going into the offseason,” he said.

The Gophers have now played in 12 bowl games in program history. The greatest of victories include a Rose Bowl win and last second victory over Oregon. There is also a win over Alabama when that football factory was at ‘low tide.” Ranking near the top of any bowl list was Minnesota’s win two years ago against pass-happy and favored Washington State when Gopher coach Tracy Claeys designed a marvelous defense to help his suspension riddled team win the Holiday Bowl.

Is it likely that some day historians may look back and view the 2018 Quick Lane Bowl win by Minnesota as part of a new chapter of success for a program that hasn’t won a Big Ten title since 1967?

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

"I have something positive to say about the Gophers... But please don't use my name."

What is the bare minimum necessary to qualify as a "football authority?"

I was giving PJ a chance in the beginning because of what he expects of the players is really cool. Basically a guide on how to become the best person you can be, and positively impact others. I think he understands the abuse but just ignores it and does his thing. If we have a 8-9 win team next year the media may even buy in.

"I have something positive to say about the Gophers... But please don't use my name."

I think Shama is satirizing the Strib's negative pieces on Fleck and the Gophers. Great work in journalistic hyperbole using "unnamed sources" to get his point across. I like it!! I wish I had his wit.

We debate a lot about non-stories, but I feel like "two anonymous sources state that Gophers destroying Wisconsin on the road looked better than the Gophers who got destroyed by 0-6 Nebraska" takes the cake.

I think Shama is satirizing the Strib's negative pieces on Fleck and the Gophers. Great work in journalistic hyperbole using "unnamed sources" to get his point across. I like it!! I wish I had his wit.

Shama's sources include other geezers who follow football and are willing to have breakfast with him. Sources are unnamed because despite Fleck starting to look like he might be onto something, no one wants to be ridiculed if Fleck falters and gets bounced and they want to be able to proudly say they always thought he was full of hot air if he fails.

Shama's sources include other geezers who follow football and are willing to have breakfast with him. Sources are unnamed because despite Fleck starting to look like he might be onto something, no one wants to be ridiculed if Fleck falters and gets bounced and they want to be able to proudly say they always thought he was full of hot air if he fails.

More like the sources don’t want to admit they are willing to have breakfast with Shama...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To be honest, I'd never heard of David Shama before I started hanging around here earlier this fall. After visiting his site and reading his bio, I still have no idea who he is, or why I should care what he thinks.

His writing leaves me with the same impression.

JTG

Unless one of the bowls changed names and we repeated after, I count 13 unique bowls.

Rose
Hall of Fame
Independence
Liberty
Sun
Micron PC
Music City
Insight
Texas
Citrus
Holiday
Quick Lane

Nope--wouldn't be anonymous. I'm guessing SON and Dpo who have also now bought into PJ's schtick.

So, it appears that you still need some convincing. Or you have already made up your mind.

This has to be satire

Thumbs_Up_Sign_Emoji_Icon_ios10_large.png

This is 100% intended to not be taken seriously. Props to Shama for taking shots at the local rags.

Nope--wouldn't be anonymous. I'm guessing SON and Dpo who have also now bought into PJ's schtick.

Nope. I think Fleck is a pretty good coach. His system does rely on having strong coordinators, so Fleck can focus on recruiting and motivation. But, within that system, the on-field product is improving. We all saw the difference that was made by the change in defensive coordinators.

as far as the schtick - still hate it. the catch phrases, acronyms, slogans and repetitive sayings drive me nuts. There were so many things Fleck could have said in his post-game interview about how well the players performed. Instead, we got "they keep their oars in the water." OK, it's his style. I get that. I just don't like it. probably never will. I will live with it as long as the team plays well.

Top Bottom