Rochelle Olson Strib reporter mocking Fleck

People still read the Strib?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You guys done yet?

Because the STrib sure as heck doesn’t give a crap what 50 loudmouth, middle aged to old white guys think. They care far more what the six digit number of daily readers in the metro area think, as far as if they provided informative coverage of incidents within the Gophs programs.

Certainly don’t care about those who don’t even live in the state anymore have to say. Like Arizona for example.

OK, just wanted to check in with you all to see if your temper tantrum was finished. If not, carry on.

You guys done yet?

Because the STrib sure as heck doesn’t give a crap what 50 loudmouth, middle aged to old white guys think. They care far more what the six digit number of daily readers in the metro area think, as far as if they provided informative coverage of incidents within the Gophs programs.

Certainly don’t care about those who don’t even live in the state anymore have to say. Like Arizona for example.

OK, just wanted to check in with you all to see if your temper tantrum was finished. If not, carry on.

You're right. The newspaper industry is kicking ass and taking names. Why would they care about what people live outside of MN think? There isn't any possible way for those people to read the newspaper or follow the team.

As usual, you're spot on!

Last edited:

You're right. The newspaper industry is kicking ass and taking names. Why would they care about what people live outside of MN think. There isn't any possible way for those people to read the newspaper or follow the team.

Careful Bob, you're going to end up at the kids table with me and Spoofin. Still waiting for my crayons.

You're right. The newspaper industry is kicking ass and taking names. Why would they care about what people live outside of MN think? There isn't any possible way for those people to read the newspaper or follow the team.

Great response to one of the most bizarre takes of all time, even for that poster.

No.

That's why they are trolling. They are trying desperately to hold on to a dying platform.

Correct. The Daily Gopher provides far better coverage of Gopher sports with less than half the budget so the Strib writers just spin BS and try to get readers that way.
It's not a newspaper anymore, it's a tabloid, and Gopher athletics would be better served by treating it as such. Remove their press passes and move on.

Can someone please pass the Kool-Aid and cookies?
Their website gets a lot of traffic, but sadly it's all about the clicks for them now. Too bad Rochelle feels that Coach Fleck spurned her at the Signing Day presser. The Strib obviously had it wrong and they shot their ink wad a little early hoping to generate a lot of traffic.
I have liked Joe Christenson's work in the past (at the Daily and Strib), but I feel like the Strib owes the Gopher AD an apology over that initial story that was run.

Last edited:

You guys done yet?

The strib. mocks the gophers and doesn't care what I think.

I mock the strib and their writers and don't care what they think.

Is this equation hard for you to comprehend? Well, if it is, I guess I don't give a schit about that either.

Does anyone give a schit? LMAO

The U should just ban the Strib from their pressers. Absolutely no point in keeping these ******-bags around.

I should talk about over-reacting to people going after Gopher coaches and players, but this is really absurd and it's not the first time I've seen it tossed out there today.

Seriously? The major public university in the state should ban reporters from the major newspaper in the state because it doesn't like what its reporters are writing? Let's see: freedom of the press; a university is a place where ideas are examined and debated; the transparency argument; the university has to go to the legislature every session and ask for funds; attendance is already an issue and this will somehow help?

It's no wonder GH is made fun of at times. Yes, I think sometimes the coverage of the U is slanted to make it look bad. However, it's not like over the years the Gophers haven't given people legitimate opportunities to take shots at them.

And not all of their coverage is negative, by the way. Randy Johnson had an excellent article in the Trib today on the turnaround. Here's part of the intro and then he goes on to examine what happened.

"Just how big a turnaround has it been in Fleck’s two seasons? Check out these facts:

Last year, the Gophers closed the season by scoring zero points in their final two games.

This year, they closed the season by not needing to punt against Georgia Tech at all and punting zero times in the final 41:48 of their 37-15 walloping of Wisconsin in the regular-season finale.

That, folks, is progress.

Granted, the Gophers’ 7-6 overall record and 3-6 Big Ten mark are nowhere near the pinnacle Fleck wants his program to reach. The finish was, however, a step the team needed to take.

“I told them in the locker room that they learned life lessons about how to not give up, not quit, keep your oar in the water, keep persevering, and you’re going to find a way to be successful,” Fleck said in Wednesday’s postgame news conference. “It’s just a matter of time.”

That was on display in Detroit against Georgia Tech, when the Gophers ran the formula that served them well in their 3-1 finish: Get an early lead, control the clock, play sound defense and break the opponent’s will in the second half."

Best part I thought was when there were quotes from a Georgia Tech and a Badger player about how thoroughly they had been beaten. If PJ can keep building, the trolls, both in the media and on GH will disappear. Up to the Gophers to change the perceptions. There are a lot of clicks to be had with positive coverage also.

Last edited:

The first time I ever heard of her was when she ripped on Pitino a few weeks ago so I understand why she's negative. Finally allows her to be noticed

The U should just ban the Strib from their pressers. Absolutely no point in keeping these ******-bags around.
The only coverage they provide is a smear campaign. Give the spots to GopherIllustrated and The Daily Gopher instead.
Could also give a pass to GopherHole. I'm sure the people here would love to go ask a question or two about the program without being complete jerks.

Do it subtly, deny their press passes without saying anything about it, and when they complain, respond with quotes from Ruesse's and Olsen's Twitter feeds.
That would call attention to their complete lack of professionalism and hopefully get them both completely canned.

Terrible idea. If the U were so thin-skinned as to revoke press passes if a major local newspaper because it thought coverage was mean, it would draw attention, and the reporters would not be the ones coming away looking bad.

You guys done yet?

Ummm, wrong. We have many more than 50 loudmouths, and please don't play the race card.

Well now I know why she went into news paper rather than tv news...

Really? I just joined this forum and this is what is accepted here? Going after women and their appearance? Pathetic.....

Let me clear this up for all of you. Olson is a "general assignment" reporter for the Strib. She is not a sports reporter. If there is anything remotely resembling a scandal at the U, she's the one they send. She for sure covered the Reggie Lynch assault case, and I believe she was involved in the football sexual assault scandal/boycott. The Strib (mistakenly) sent her to the signing day press conference specifically to press Fleck about the "suspended" players. When Fleck refused to provide additional info (which is his right....team rules, not a legal issue), she continued to press the issue to no avail. Since then, she's taken to passive-aggressively mocking U coaches on Twitter. It's highly unprofessional and if KFAN has actually managed to quiet Meatsauce on his aggressive trolling of the football program, you'd think the Strib could do the same.

How do you figure that they "mistakenly" sent her to the signing day press conference?

Really? I just joined this forum and this is what is accepted here? Going after women and their appearance? Pathetic.....

Has anyone else welcomed you to GH yet? You seem like you’ll be a lot of fun to have around here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be fair, a lot of people think Mike max has a face for radio too. Is that also sexist? What about calling Tracy Claeys fat?
Is it okay to criticize a mans appearance and not a woman’s? You better go seek out all posts concerning people’s appearance?

Hmmm, plenty of reason to question her professionally but the personal insults seem uncalled for.

But it's OK for her (you) to mock Fleck, am I right?

By the way, you have man hands. In your Twitter profile pic, your finger fat is pouring out the sides of your QVC band. Might need to see if the cut-rate jeweler you frequent can re-size that for you.

Bingo. I’ve been out of state now for well over a decade and for a LONG time was a full subscriber to the online service but the paper is just a dumpster fire at this point. I stopped my subscription 3-4 years ago, but would still sometimes click a few articles. But now it’s eroded to the point where I won’t even go to the front page anymore for well over a year now.

I've heard him talk of gopher hole. He hates this place with a passion. It's no trolling act. Take that to the TCF bank! I love that he legit hates us. I love it.

That's because people keep calling him names and throwing his shtick back at his face. He's no dummy. He knows how to reel you in and get you all riled up. $$$ in the bank for him.

Yes, it was a generalization but but not one made of ignorance. How many fantastic sportswriters has Minneapolis seen in the last 20-30 years?

Sid? Nope. Barrerio? Nope. Myron? Nope. This lady? Nope. Souhan? Nope and he should have been fired for mocking Kill's seizures. Shelman? Nope but he was pretty good but also note he left to write real news. Ruesse? Not for me. He takes the easy route too much. Barreiero? Nope. Doogie? Nice guy but nope.

Enlighten me. Who are the fantastic sports writers I should read if I am a Minnesota sports fan?

They are all working for the Athletic. *Drops Mic*

Sorry for insensitivity. GH can be a place for good information and discussion, but you do have to ignore a portion of the juvenile and Neanderthal behavior.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The big difference that some of the media trolls don't realize, is the difference between where the two programs are right now. Wisconsin was rated, what, like #4 in the preseason? The season was a hug failure for them.

Minnesota on the other hand has some building to do, to get where Wisconsin has been for about two decades. We will take the bowl win as a positive and use it as a stepping stone. PJ calling the team "champions" was a bit much, but oh well. Two years in, and things are looking up. A win against the main (or 2nd) rival was gigantic, and the bowl win is an exclamation point on that win.

Sorry, but it does say champions on the trophy! It is a little step, but they spent the last several weeks of their lives dedicated to this game, let them enjoy it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom